ADVERTISEMENT

Harrell fired by Purdue

Yup. The offseason prior, he went to a Louisville booster meeting and announced he was planning to coach Louisville soon. Then once the Brohm family got satterfield to leave, it was a done deal. Purdue had a year to prep, they just decided not to pay a good coach…. Big ten championship game was horrible timing.
And now the script is flipped. IU has the better coach and program. With our new president committed, I expect that to continue. IU was always somewhat of a sleeping giant (the state school, beautiful campus, Lake Monroe, coeds, alum money, cool town) but past administrations never saw the potential financial ramifications of a winner (alumni donations). Seemed like they were satisfied with BB. Purdue took most of the good Indiana players that ND didn't want. That's partly how Purdue has survived all these years. State isn't big enough recruit wise to satisfy three schools. Now it's up to the school to come through on more upgraded facilities. I've always seen Purdue as a stepping stone school and sadly IU as career ender. Don't know what the final W-L record will be this year but the foundation is being built.

And now the script is flipped. IU has the better coach and program. With our new president committed, I expect that to continue. IU was always somewhat of a sleeping giant (the state school, beautiful campus, Lake Monroe, coeds, alum money, cool town) but past administrations never saw the potential financial ramifications of a winner (alumni donations). Seemed like they were satisfied with BB. Purdue took most of the good Indiana players that ND didn't want. That's partly how Purdue has survived all these years. State isn't big enough recruit wise to satisfy three schools. Now it's up to the school to come through on more upgraded facilities. I've always seen Purdue as a stepping stone school and sadly IU as career ender. Don't know what the final W-L record will be this year but the foundation is being built.
Yeah things can change quickly. I’m not getting overconfident yet. I like what I’ve seen. Let’s see if the recruits do.

Yeah things can change quickly. I’m not getting overconfident yet. I like what I’ve seen. Let’s see if the recruits do.

What would there be for recruits NOT to like?
It is obvious that CCC has loyalty from his staff since that all came with him and most have been with him for an extended time.
It is obvious that the players like playing for him as evidenced by how many players came with him from JMU.
Hell, I would like to play for him but alas I have no eligibility left! :D

Yeah no kidding. Everything is lining up for IU with coaching and schedule and transfers etc but it's 5 games into year 1. Have to see if IU can keep the fans engaged. Also curious how they'll do on the road against a solid team.

PU had to make a change and for a mid season change you're stuck with who else you have on staff. IU was "fortunate" to have Bostad on staff both when they had to fire the o line coach and later the coordinator. I put that in quotes because it's crazy to have someone like that sitting on staff when you're handing the offense to Walt Bell and Hiller...

I'm repeating myself but it's funny to watch PU make all the same mistakes IU made several years ago. After Brohm they could have found a good coach. They have some history of winning (Tiller, Brohm) and normally draw fans, a couple factors IU hasn't had.

Yeah no kidding. Everything is lining up for IU with coaching and schedule and transfers etc but it's 5 games into year 1. Have to see if IU can keep the fans engaged. Also curious how they'll do on the road against a solid team.

PU had to make a change and for a mid season change you're stuck with who else you have on staff. IU was "fortunate" to have Bostad on staff both when they had to fire the o line coach and later the coordinator. I put that in quotes because it's crazy to have someone like that sitting on staff when you're handing the offense to Walt Bell and Hiller...

I'm repeating myself but it's funny to watch PU make all the same mistakes IU made several years ago. After Brohm they could have found a good coach. They have some history of winning (Tiller, Brohm) and normally draw fans, a couple factors IU hasn't had.
I have no doubt it will be an engaged crowd from here on out, no matter what happens against solid teams on the road. IU fans have suffered through their hungry years and Coach Cignetti & staff have presented us with a smorgasbord. Nebraska, Washington, Michigan, Purdue…anticipate a raucous crowd of delirious maniacs.

Reactions: red hornet

Walters is trying the same deflection as Allen did to save his job. It didn't work for Allen & only time will tell if Walters move is successful.

Don’t flatter yourself. These boards never make it made me mad. That would be a colossal waste of time. I disagreed with you. But ya, the Harrell hire is probably gonna sink Walter’s.
You think the Harrell hire is what's sinking Walters? Walters is what's sinking them! I've got several big time PU fans as friends, and to a man, they all thought the hire was stupid from the word go. One of them is very tied to different coaching circles and one thing kept coming out of those circles....the guy is NOT head coach material and probably over rated as a "defensive guru" as well. Welp, here we are 1.5 years later and he's fired his OC, but funny enough his defense is actually worse than the offense!

Reactions: red hornet
You think the Harrell hire is what's sinking Walters? Walters is what's sinking them! I've got several big time PU fans as friends, and to a man, they all thought the hire was stupid from the word go. One of them is very tied to different coaching circles and one thing kept coming out of those circles....the guy is NOT head coach material and probably over rated as a "defensive guru" as well. Welp, here we are 1.5 years later and he's fired his OC, but funny enough his defense is actually worse than the offense!
I think both are issues. But the offense under Harrell did zero favors in helping Walter’s. Can’t have a good defense when the offense goes 3 and out every possession.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
But ya, the Harrell hire is probably gonna sink Walter’s.
Just Harrell lol? Not the defense that is dead last in points and yards allowed from the guy who publicly declared himself, "the best defensive coordinator in the country"?

I think both are issues. But the offense under Harrell did zero favors in helping Walter’s. Can’t have a good defense when the offense goes 3 and out every possession.
It sounds to me like it could just as easily be a physical conditioning problem which reflects back on Walter’s. watch. One gets winded easily when too fat and sassy. Adding to your woes would be the defensive team’s finger pointing towards the inept offense, not promoting locker room camaraderie, thus igniting the dumpster fire we see with such glee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT