ADVERTISEMENT

Haralson

Not quite. He said they were in Bloomington, and so basically it was a done deal. "Its happening!" was a hilarious punctuation. Said he had two sources or something. We hired Miller shortly thereafter.
thx, I was exaggerating slightly for effect, but yeah, I definitely remember him proclaiming "It's Happening !!", then hearing we hired Miller a few days after.

Reactions: frikkenfrakken
KY got another shooter from a KY high school. Stories coming out of practice suggest elite level shooter. I can’t believe he will be the equal of Sheppard. Travis Perry.
Perry is probably a better pure shooter. Shepherd is a better overall athlete and player.

Perry is probably a better pure shooter. Shepherd is a better overall athlete and player.
Sleepers report said he'd made 100 straight FTs on 3 different days. Always said I'll never buy someone as a great shooter who doesn't make FTs at a very high rate. Get that FT% up there Trey!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
With NIL, this stuff can change in the blink of an eye fellas. Blink. Of. An. Eye.

What's your source telling you this morning smitty?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Recruiting isn't as life or death as it has been in the past. Makes it much easier to not get as worked up about this. We either get the Freshman to come in or we take that payroll and get the next Ware, Ballo, Rice, Carlyle, etc.

Recruiting isn't as life or death as it has been in the past. Makes it much easier to not get as worked up about this. We either get the Freshman to come in or we take that payroll and get the next Ware, Ballo, Rice, Carlyle, etc.
Yea. I’d like Haralson for a lot of reasons, but the portal guys with 1-2 years of experience and a few years of eligibility left seem like a sweet spot. They’re immediately productive and can still give us a few years for roster continuity.

Of course they have to fit, but I find most of the transfer reasons to be good and you’ve got to worry about fit with HS players too.

Last edited:
Yea. I’d like Haralson for a lot of reasons, but the portal guys with 1-2 years of experience and a few years of eligibility left seem like a sweet spot. They’re immediately productive and can still give us a few years for roster continuity.

Of course they have to fit, but I find most of the transfer reasons to be good and you’ve got to worry about fit with HS players too.
I still think a squeaky wheel made noise yesterday and was given some oil fast to save the suspense.. I hope so at least.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
This is bizarre. I don't think anyone outside the family knows anything. It's impressive these days to keep everything locked down. I know there are other Btown folks here, but I can't find even a rumor in town.
Trevor and Rabby know is what’s being floated around.

This is bizarre. I don't think anyone outside the family knows anything. It's impressive these days to keep everything locked down. I know there are other Btown folks here, but I can't find even a rumor in town.
Same with Trent too. Nobody knew about him either.

With NIL, this stuff can change in the blink of an eye fellas. Blink. Of. An. Eye.
Yeah, pre-NIL I always felt that you take anything you hear with a grain of salt. This applies to any source. It doesn’t matter if a coach is convinced of something, it doesn’t matter what is coming out of anyone’s mouth, even the mouth of the recruit.

Now, with NIL it’s even less relevant for obvious reasons.

The cynic in me says it should almost always come down to the deal with the highest bidder, especially if the money offered is dramatically different when compared to the other suitors.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Committing these days is often just end game strategy for upping NIL offers and decommitting but don’t expect that is the case for Indiana kids committing to IU.

Yeah, pre-NIL I always felt that you take anything you hear with a grain of salt. This applies to any source. It doesn’t matter if a coach is convinced of something, it doesn’t matter what is coming out of anyone’s mouth, even the mouth of the recruit.

Now, with NIL it’s even less relevant for obvious reasons.

The cynic in me says it should almost always come down to the deal with the highest bidder, especially if the money offered is dramatically different when compared to the other suitors.
I think NIL is a bigger factor for the guys who aren't 1 and done. They're not considered locks for the league and may never make it, so the more NIL they can accumulate, the better if they aren't "guaranteed" that NBA contract.

The 1 and done guys are trying to maximize their draft status

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I think NIL is a bigger factor for the guys who aren't 1 and done. They're not considered locks for the league and may never make it, so the more NIL they can accumulate, the better if they aren't "guaranteed" that NBA contract.

The 1 and done guys are trying to maximize their draft status
Perhaps….

But, when you are talking about the top 5 NIL teams will any of those not check the maximize draft status box?

Perhaps….

But, when you are talking about the top 5 NIL teams will any of those not check the maximize draft status box?
That's the point I'm making. They're all going to be roughly in the same neighborhood with NIL. It's the situation and the coach that makes the decision for them. You're a knock down 3pt shooter as part of your sure fire, can't miss NBA profile. Are you coming here or are you going to Duke or whoever is running something that showcases your shooting? Woody puts bigs in the NBA, it appears. You're a rim protecting 5, do you go here or to some school who plays smaller with less emphasis on bigs?

That's the point I'm making. They're all going to be roughly in the same neighborhood with NIL. It's the situation and the coach that makes the decision for them. You're a knock down 3pt shooter as part of your sure fire, can't miss NBA profile. Are you coming here or are you going to Duke or whoever is running something that showcases your shooting? Woody puts bigs in the NBA, it appears. You're a rim protecting 5, do you go here or to some school who plays smaller with less emphasis on bigs?
I’m not sure they are all in the same neighborhood NIL - wise. This isn’t the pros. In the NFL a top cornerback makes in the neighborhood of other similar rated cornerbacks. Oh, maybe somewhat makes a little less, a little more… but college is different.

You could have one school pay 10 times what anyone else would pay.

I saw reports out there that we (IU boosters) were willing to pay double what the other top schools were offering. Nil and the portal has made things really, really bizarre.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someday we weren’t paying players 10 times what PU boosters pay, and 2-3 times more than the next highest conference team.

I’m not sure they are all in the same neighborhood NIL - wise. This isn’t the pros. In the NFL a top cornerback makes in the neighborhood of other similar rated cornerbacks. Oh, maybe somewhat makes a little less, a little more… but college is different.

I saw reports out there that we (IU boosters) were willing to pay double what the other top schools were offering. Nil and the portal has made things really, really bizarre.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someday we weren’t paying players 10 times what PU boosters pay, and 2-3 times more than the next highest conference team.
I thought we were talking about the top 5 NIL schools. I assume their NIL war chest is all in same ballpark and it's just a question of how they divvy it up.

Reactions: kkott

MSU boosters claim they can match anything for a player they really want. The way Izzo has run things they may have a call girl service with all profits to NIL.

I thought we were talking about the top 5 NIL schools. I assume their NIL war chest is all in same ballpark and it's just a question of how they divvy it up.

Well I was, but I am not going to assume that they all have a similar war chest. Since the money comes from boosters there could be big variations. Those variations can also switch from year to year.

Right now we are in a mode of outspend anyone else, but that doesn’t mean that the same scenario will be the case in 2 years.

I would guess the "war chests" are different sizes. We have more than ND and probably MSU. But ND and MSU have enough to get very aggressive for a player they really want.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Well I was, but I am not going to assume that they all have a similar war chest. Since the money comes from boosters there could be big variations. Those variations can also switch from year to year.

Right now we are in a mode of outspend anyone else, but that doesn’t mean that the same scenario will be the case in 2 years.
Correct. Right now we have a few donors that have blank checks to woody. If we don’t win this year I would bet that changes.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I would guess the "war chests" are different sizes. We have more than ND and probably MSU. But ND and MSU have enough to get very aggressive for a player they really want.
Correct. I prefer the vulgar they could blow their wad on a player of their choosing. :)

Sounds extreme. Markets will balance themselves and I don't see a school paying that much more across the entire roster... unless we were to pull a UCONN and win a couple NCs. Heck, I'm worried about us maintaining the current level of NIL funding if we have a disappointing year. I don't think donors will keep putting money in at a higher rate unless they are seeming results they are happy with. Think we need to win the B10 and make a 2nd weekend to keep them happy I would guess.

Sounds extreme. Markets will balance themselves and I don't see a school paying that much more across the entire roster... unless we were to pull a UCONN and win a couple NCs. Heck, I'm worried about us maintaining the current level of NIL funding if we have a disappointing year. I don't think donors will keep putting money in at a higher rate unless they are seeming results they are happy with. Think we need to win the B10 and make a 2nd weekend to keep them happy I would guess.
Perhaps, but it just takes 1 rich donor. If some billionaire wants to pay some kid $25 million he can.

Perhaps, but it just takes 1 rich donor. If some billionaire wants to pay some kid $25 million he can.
Sounds like Phil Knight and Oregon.

We have some concentration risk with our two big donors. I don’t know what they expect or plan to do.

I don't even think we're outspending everyone. Look at AR's roster... I'm guessing they probably spent more in NIL this year than us. You know UConn is paying as is Duke and UNC. I would guess we're top 5, but I think AR is probably tops. I do think we're tops in the B10, but even there I would guess UM, and IL aren't terribly far behind, and Rutgers too with those 2 stud freshmen, I would guess would put them in 3-4th. I just don't see us separating like you described unless we're seeing markedly better results than other schools.

Reactions: IUgradman
Gerd specifically said top 5 NIL schools. Can't imagine ND is top 5 NIL for hoops.
The thing with ND is they have more overall money, for whatever they feel like using it for, than most any other school. They have more money than IU does in their couch cushions. Now, will they ever choose to dip their toes in to those grey areas, rules wise, and use the Notre Dame money machine for basketball??? That's the billion dollar question. But we could be getting a potential answer to that question today. Their team would get quite a lot more expensive if Haralson picks them. As it won't just be the money that Haralson commands. Burton's money would need to be adjusted as well, I'm sure.

Reactions: bsmitty08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT