ADVERTISEMENT

Haralson

will be interesting how the rest of that team transitions without the big canuck in the middle. Did I see Katz (?) or some service rank the top 40-80 players in the B1G this year, and they ended with B Smith as #1. The kid has been better than expected, but c'mon, life is going to be a lot different without Edey in the middle drawing double/triple teams.
I think it was Alex Bozich/Inside the Hall. I think it won't end up being Braden either, but he is the only returning first teamer. More strange to me that they had the Iowa kid second: Peyton Sandfort? And Rice 4th overall. I'd think he'd be 4th on our team: Ballo, Mbako, Reanu and Rice. But we did have 4 like in the top 22 or so, and yet Bozich picked us 4th in the conference. What's that say?

I think it was Alex Bozich/Inside the Hall. I think it won't end up being Braden either, but he is the only returning first teamer. More strange to me that they had the Iowa kid second: Peyton Sandfort? And Rice 4th overall. I'd think he'd be 4th on our team: Ballo, Mbako, Reanu and Rice. But we did have 4 like in the top 22 or so, and yet Bozich picked us 4th in the conference. What's that say?
worth about as much as preseason polls. You know how I feel about them.....polls are worthless until February. It will be an interesting season.

Yes it was Bozich. Those top 2 picks were real head scratchers, as well as picking Rice as our highest ranked player. We shall see.

Reactions: kkott
will be interesting how the rest of that team transitions without the big canuck in the middle. Did I see Katz (?) or some service rank the top 40-80 players in the B1G this year, and they ended with B Smith as #1. The kid has been better than expected, but c'mon, life is going to be a lot different without Edey in the middle drawing double/triple teams.
Blue Ribbon tabbed him 2nd team All-American recently and I’m sure many more publications will follow suit. Braden Smith has vastly outperformed his high school ranking and for that both he and Painter deserve endless credit. But that being said, this is the first year where he actually has “expectations”. Transitioning from feed Edey and don’t turn the ball over to preseason All-American is a monumental ask. He has struggled more times than not when teams played him straight up and didn’t sell out to stop Edey. He’ll see that every night this coming season.

I mean.. Yes.. Without Edey, those baseline drives will turn into alot of forced shots being deflected. He will have a good season, but not rhe best player lol.

Don't know if you ever listen to Sleepers, but they had a bit yesterday on Mullin's in home visits this week(IU, UConn, UK, UNC and UM). That was the first time I'd heard either of them say UK and they both did. Made me think they'd heard something from someone they trusted. I don't think I ever heard either of them comment on the "secret visit" the Mullins family supposedly made to IU in the last couple of weeks that a few on here said happened.
He's got to remind some of the Harrison twins? Then you have the Moreno domino, plus he left his high school at a time when the local competition was high. I don't know where he will go but he sounds like a kid that is looking at his options.

Reactions: kkott
On3. says Indiana but biggest threat is ND. Now that would fall in line with the Haralson play book. There's no doubt he would be the guy at ND. He might come off the bench year one for us.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
On3. says Indiana but biggest threat is ND. Now that would fall in line with the Haralson play book. There's no doubt he would be the guy at ND. He might come off the bench year one for us.
Zero chance he's coming off the bench at Indiana. Also, Markus Burton is more ball-dominant than any player expected to be on IU's roster next year regardless of what Carlyle and Rice do.

Zero chance he's coming off the bench at Indiana. Also, Markus Burton is more ball-dominant than any player expected to be on IU's roster next year regardless of what Carlyle and Rice do.
The consensus seems to be that Mbako will leave after this year and I think that's a pretty reasonable prediction. I think that would open up PT for Haralson, along with TG graduating. Obviously it's wide open if Carlyle were to leave. That would leave Haralson and Tucker battling for minutes. I still feel like the guy who might then be playing behind guys for a season is Mullins.

The consensus seems to be that Mbako will leave after this year and I think that's a pretty reasonable prediction. I think that would open up PT for Haralson, along with TG graduating. Obviously it's wide open if Carlyle were to leave. That would leave Haralson and Tucker battling for minutes. I still feel like the guy who might then be playing behind guys for a season is Mullins.
If it is between us and ND...man, I'd hope we can beat them out. For all the obvious, IU is just a better overall basketball program than ND, reasons...but from a basketball standpoint, assuming Burton will still be there, Haralson is a guy that should want a situation where he'll come in and 1)play right away...he would at both ND and IU, but then 2)be one of the main ball handlers/playmakers on the roster...any team that has Burton on it, he'll handle the ball most of the game, and make most of the plays. I don't see those 2 fitting very well alongside each other. One of them will have to make some sacrifices in their games.

At IU...Galloway will be gone. Seems more likely than not one, if not both, of Rice and Carlyle will be gone. The rest of IU's likely returning guys, and the guys they're in on in 25', are more off the ball type guys, or guys that would be find playing off Haralson more. Even Mgbako and/or Tucker, if either would be back, aren't primary ball handler type players.

Haralson would fit alongside the returning core of IU players very well, I would think. Even Rice and Carlyle are both much less ball dominant than Burton is. One of them, alongside Haralson, Tucker, and Mgbako... yeah...that'd workout very well for all of them.

Already saying it.
Code for they aren’t offering market compensation for athletes who are now pros.

They need more NIL and I’d guess Matt needs to get over the idea that kids should take pay cuts to dedicate themselves to PU. In reality he is trying to short change them for his benefit. Sad!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Code for they aren’t offering market compensation for athletes who are now pros.

They need more NIL and I’d guess Matt needs to get over the idea that kids should take pay cuts to dedicate themselves to PU. In reality he is trying to short change them for his benefit. Sad!
That visit was supposed to help them.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

0 for 2 in the last couple years with top 50/future NBA type kids. We already know "role" and NIL limitations were a factor with Katchings. We don't know if it was with Haralson, but I suspect its part of it if he doesn't choose them.

They're gonna have to stumble in to them, and have kids blow up basically in one offseason. And then they're going to have to hope that the team can maximize that quick growth before the open NIL market snatches those kids away.

Using this PU team as an example...to be really, really good this year, they need at least a couple of their newer, question mark players, to explode this year. Colvin, Heide, the frosh Big...they need a couple to explode...AND they need Smith to be as good as he was with Edey...AND they need TKR to become a focal point big.

So lets say all those things do fall in to place. They still won't be athletic enough to compete with teams like Kansas, UConn, Duke, etc... So they won't win it all. But lets say they suprise, and do win B10 and make another FF.

Smith's NIL value on the open market for his last year will be 7 figures.
TKR's NIL value will be 7+ figures.
Whoever else explodes from the list above, their NIL value will approach 7 figures.
The other gap fillers, all of their NIL values will be solid 6 figures.

They'll either have the money, and be willing to pay them all, or they'll start losing guys. And that'll be the beginning of the end of their current "model".

0 for 2 in the last couple years with top 50/future NBA type kids. We already know "role" and NIL limitations were a factor with Katchings. We don't know if it was with Haralson, but I suspect its part of it if he doesn't choose them.

They're gonna have to stumble in to them, and have kids blow up basically in one offseason. And then they're going to have to hope that the team can maximize that quick growth before the open NIL market snatches those kids away.

Using this PU team as an example...to be really, really good this year, they need at least a couple of their newer, question mark players, to explode this year. Colvin, Heide, the frosh Big...they need a couple to explode...AND they need Smith to be as good as he was with Edey...AND they need TKR to become a focal point big.

So lets say all those things do fall in to place. They still won't be athletic enough to compete with teams like Kansas, UConn, Duke, etc... So they won't win it all. But lets say they suprise, and do win B10 and make another FF.

Whoever else explodes from the list above, their NIL value will approach 7 figures.

They'll either have the money, and be willing to pay them all, or they'll start losing guys. And that'll be the beginning of the end of their current "model".
I listen to the Sleepers a lot while working and that's one of the things that irks me: they assume the best and that everything will work for PU, and love to bag on IU. I think it's mostly because of 1 of the pair's distrust of CMW, but I just don't get their PU love. They're doing their to 50 B10 players right now and I think are up to about #20, with no IU players so far. That's good on one hand, because I think it means they're going to have 4 Hoosiers in their top 20, but also that they didn't pick either Carlyle or Trey as top 50 players. I think whichever of them starts will be top 50. I'm guessing they'll also have Braden 1 and had TKR around 27 and had both Heide and Colvin in their top 50.... over Carlyle and Galloway, each of whom started on their teams last year and averaged double figures.

I keep saying all the PU players are going to have tougher sledding this year with Edey gone, and their defenders able to play them straight up more often. I'd wager anyone that Braden's shooting % drop by at least 5% pts and that his TOs go up and assists down. Loyer's shooting % will also drop. One of the Field of 68 guys had that same take for PU, and I've never heard Sleepers even mention it as a possibility.

Yea. Will be interesting to see this play out next year.

The other thing that made Edey so perfect for them is he was uniquely willing to stick around for about $1M/yr in NIL, a big discount. He could have transferred and got $2M+ pretty easily if he wanted, maybe closer to $3M.

Yea. Will be interesting to see this play out next year.

The other thing that made Edey so perfect for them is he was uniquely willing to stick around for about $1M/yr in NIL, a big discount. He could have transferred and got $2M+ pretty easily if he wanted, maybe closer to $3M.
For sure. And he held everyone else's NIL value down. Is Smith really a near triple double level PG, without Edey? Is Loyer gonna be a 40%, high volume 3P guy without Edey? If they answer those things as "Yes", their NIL values will skyrocket. Same for anyone else that may emerge this year...which they'll need to happen if they're going to be nearly as good as they have been.

Their model sounds wonderful...until you dig in to it, and realize the realities of Portal and NIL dynamics EVERYONE has to face. Edey allowed them to dodge those realities a little bit.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT