ADVERTISEMENT

Great Osobor

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
He’s getting 2 million NIL from Washington. No longer college kids with NIL. It’s a job with tons of pressure to perform.

He’s getting 2 million NIL from Washington. No longer college kids with NIL. It’s a job with tons of pressure to perform.
Transfers for sure. Ballo has expectations and went to the highest bidder.

Isn't that a good thing? There is an opportunity buried deeply in all this crap, in my opinion. Somehow they need to tie school attendance and performance in...and then if there aren't going to be ANY transfer rules, then schools should have the ability to cut kids that aren't performing.

You want this kind of money without any sort of multi year contract, like the real world...then you better make sure you meet these expectations...

Things like...

-Gym time
-Class attendance
-Public appearances
-Game development checkpoints
-Game performances

I’m not sure there is much extra pressure. The $ is guaranteed and if things go bad they’re off the pros or another school. It seems it’s the same pressure it was before NIL $ — most players want to play well for their team/fans and get to the next level.

Reactions: kkott
Isn't that a good thing? There is an opportunity buried deeply in all this crap, in my opinion. Somehow they need to tie school attendance and performance in...and then if there aren't going to be ANY transfer rules, then schools should have the ability to cut kids that aren't performing.

You want this kind of money without any sort of multi year contract, like the real world...then you better make sure you meet these expectations...

Things like...

-Gym time
-Class attendance
-Public appearances
-Game performances
When the rev share starts hopefully there are some aspects to the contracts that makes the whole player-school arrangement more like what you lay out. Of course players will get even more $ from the rev share, and that’s fine/good, but with that should come contracts that looks like the pros: multi-year durations, buyouts, expectations, requirements, etc.

When the rev share starts hopefully there are some aspects to the contracts that makes the whole player-school arrangement more like what you lay out. Of course players will get even more $ from the rev share, and that’s fine/good, but with that should come contracts that looks like the pros: multi-year durations, buyouts, expectations, requirements, etc.
agreed. Not sure on the details. But there needs to be some sort of tie in to them being a college student. Regular students have GPA requirements to keep various types of grants and scholarships. For the type of money these kids will be getting, there should be a good number of requirements, that they agree to, to get that money. Academic requirements. School and community engagement requirements. And then work and performance requirements for their sport. And I think length of contracts, degrees, etc... should also be fair game for NIL contracts.

I think the pressure is going to be from the media and fans. These are young kids and the NIL money is guaranteed but if players don’t live up to the hype or expectations, they will be crushed by media and fans

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I think the pressure is going to be from the media and fans. These are young kids and the NIL money is guaranteed but if players don’t live up to the hype or expectations, they will be crushed by media and fans
The money is only guaranteed for one year, right? In the pros, that’s considered a contract year and the expectation is players play harder to earn that next contract. The current NIL\Portal crap allows players to get rich quick, suck without consequence and simply move on to the next highest bidder every freaking year. Fans are the only ones getting screwed by this.

I’m not sure there is much extra pressure. The $ is guaranteed and if things go bad they’re off the pros or another school. It seems it’s the same pressure it was before NIL $ — most players want to play well for their team/fans and get to the next level.
I'll disagree on one detail... I think players want to play well, but individually to promote themselves for more NIL or to the next level. Team and fans don't seem to be that important. Of course this is a generalization and doesn't encompass all, but it seems like a growing majority.

I'll disagree on one detail... I think players want to play well, but individually to promote themselves for more NIL or to the next level. Team and fans don't seem to be that important. Of course this is a generalization and doesn't encompass all, but it seems like a growing majority.
Possibly. Their pro career is effectively starting in college now, and it’s hard to not be focused on the $ to some extent.

It doesn’t bother me too much. I think players get sucked into the team/school/fans most of the time.

Possibly. Their pro career is effectively starting in college now, and it’s hard to not be focused on the $ to some extent.

It doesn’t bother me too much. I think players get sucked into the team/school/fans most of the time.
Not sure about that last sentence. It’d be nice tho.

> schools should have the ability to cut kids that aren't performing

Haven't they always had that? Scholarships are (normally?) a one-year deal, I thought.

The money is only guaranteed for one year, right? In the pros, that’s considered a contract year and the expectation is players play harder to earn that next contract. The current NIL\Portal crap allows players to get rich quick, suck without consequence and simply move on to the next highest bidder every freaking year. Fans are the only ones getting screwed by this.

Well if you suck too badly, nobody will pick you up.

Things like...

-Gym time
-Class attendance
-Public appearances
-Game performances
What’s next?
A trade deadline January 10th?
Fire the underperforming kid?
When will being a student no longer be required?

Things like...

-Gym time
-Class attendance
-Public appearances
-Game performances
The only way this situation becomes manageable is that NCAA athletes become contracted 1099 agents with specific contracts or actual employees with typical employment agreements. You'll never be able to cap a school unless there is some sort of collective bargaining which I highly doubt that would ever happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT