ADVERTISEMENT

Great analysis of college spending (and related tuition hikes)

Hopefully no paywall, but if there is, let me know.
In contrast, Purdue has not raised tuition for 12 years. Despite this, Purdue was just ranked #10 in the Global University Visibility rankings - ahead of Cambridge, Yale, and UCLA.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
In contrast, Purdue has not raised tuition for 12 years. Despite this, Purdue was just ranked #10 in the Global University Visibility rankings - ahead of Cambridge, Yale, and UCLA.

Goes to show you pointless rankings are ;) .

On a serious note, what is the makeup of funding source(s) of Purdue? I couldn't find anything that shows the mix between state funding, tuition, donations, other, etc.

Part of it is an arms race, much like sports sees going on. Kids want apartments and not dorms, they want classrooms that look more modern with high tech.

There is waste, as there is anywhere. Some day I will retire and will discuss my beliefs on the subject. But a large part of the cost are market forces, kids want fun extracurricular programs, they want nice facilities, etc.

FYI, rumor has it IU has stopped all new construction. I have no idea if that is accurate, but I know the area on tenth where the shopping center was torn down hasn't been built on. The old Poplars area hasn't been built on. They tore down old Yogi's this week, maybe they plan something there.

Part of it is an arms race, much like sports sees going on. Kids want apartments and not dorms, they want classrooms that look more modern with high tech.

There is waste, as there is anywhere. Some day I will retire and will discuss my beliefs on the subject. But a large part of the cost are market forces, kids want fun extracurricular programs, they want nice facilities, etc.

FYI, rumor has it IU has stopped all new construction. I have no idea if that is accurate, but I know the area on tenth where the shopping center was torn down hasn't been built on. The old Poplars area hasn't been built on. They tore down old Yogi's this week, maybe they plan something there.
Spoiled. That’s what they are. They should put trailers on that yogi’s land. With ac units in the windows. No more buildings. Annexes. Bring both the faculty and students down to earth. No more names either. Numbers. Spanish 101 in ANNEX 232-D. Maybe name one after unclemark when I get that Fing Powerball to pop

Spoiled. That’s what they are. They should put trailers on that yogi’s land. With ac units in the windows. No more buildings. Annexes. Bring both the faculty and students down to earth. No more names either. Numbers. Spanish 101 in ANNEX 232-D. Maybe name one after unclemark when I get that Fing Powerball to pop

Slightly off-topic, all Indiana schools are struggling to get in-state students. Yes, that includes IU and PU. Simply put, there's almost no scholarship money for in-state (see article below). This isn't just an Indiana problem. My oldest went to Northern Colorado, her freshman roommate was one of the overachievers who could have went just about anywhere. Her parents were so excited she had a thousand-dollar scholarship to attend. I couldn't tell them our little less high-scoring daughter had a $3000 scholarship. But it all makes sense. If you want to buy my widget for $100, I might not offer you an incentive. If Mark is looking at the same widget for $300, I might well offer him a $100 rebate to close the deal.

So we have incentives that are off. In the context of the market, it makes sense. In the context of what we want universities to do, it is askew.

Slightly off-topic, all Indiana schools are struggling to get in-state students. Yes, that includes IU and PU. Simply put, there's almost no scholarship money for in-state (see article below). This isn't just an Indiana problem. My oldest went to Northern Colorado, her freshman roommate was one of the overachievers who could have went just about anywhere. Her parents were so excited she had a thousand-dollar scholarship to attend. I couldn't tell them our little less high-scoring daughter had a $3000 scholarship. But it all makes sense. If you want to buy my widget for $100, I might not offer you an incentive. If Mark is looking at the same widget for $300, I might well offer him a $100 rebate to close the deal.

So we have incentives that are off. In the context of the market, it makes sense. In the context of what we want universities to do, it is askew.

Very interesting. I know iu for a state school accepts more out of state students than many/most

Universities aren't educational institutions anymore. They are money making endeavors. Our entire education system is among the most expensive in the developed world on one hand while providing mediocre results on the other. They aren't educational institutions, they are credentialing institutions for the vast majority of students.

I don't think the people running IU have been really smart in their approach to how they fit in this state. I also think there is a very real issue with discussing education in thus country because any and all criticism is seen as a direct attack on the nebulous idea of "teachers" or "educators".

Reactions: mattndallas
Mrs. TMFT witnessed the same thing as a teacher where top-30 kids at her giant Indianapolis area school had trouble making it into IU & PU because, presumably, they were trying to get out-of-state sticker price paying kids in.
It’s been a long time but chapel hill was my top choice for both law school and undergrad. I want to say they were limited to like 25 percent out of state. It seems iu has been on the decline save certain programs. Maybe the state is small and they need out of state for money and more competitive students. I don’t know

It is reports such as those below which somehow justify the high cost of a college education.

One report contends the benefit to the economy is the $278,00 that a person with bachelor's degree adds to the local economy as compared to workers with only a high school education.

According to this article a return on investment for a college education over a 20 year period has been 38.1% with a lifetime ROI of 287.7%

However, IMO, college isn't for everyone and alternatives are badly needed. Employers, for example, should share more in the cost of training and educating workers and not rely on qualified workers to miraculously show up to fill a vacancy.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
They tore down old Yogi's this week, maybe they plan something there.
bye-obama.gif

Reactions: Rockport Zebra

I remember this same discussion while I worked at IU. The state was giving less money while putting more pressure on schools to make up the rest. In the end, this hurts the middle-class (Pell ineligible) students the most because schools then have to apply the majority of their funds to the most needy group (low-income). The middle-class students and families then have to take out more loans in order to pay for school. CU schools have pretty much the same problem.

Also, my wife was an adjunct at Northern Colorado for a year. Greeley has some good beer (Weldworks) and a weird smell.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Mrs. TMFT witnessed the same thing as a teacher where top-30 kids at her giant Indianapolis area school had trouble making it into IU & PU because, presumably, they were trying to get out-of-state sticker price paying kids in.
Purdue (and IU to lesser extent) seeks out the international students who pay out of state freight +++. Sure, Purdue hasn’t raised tuition but it accepts way fewer instate kids and gives them $0 In scholarships. It is actually very hard to get into Purdue for in state kids these days.

It’s been a long time but chapel hill was my top choice for both law school and undergrad. I want to say they were limited to like 25 percent out of state. It seems iu has been on the decline save certain programs. Maybe the state is small and they need out of state for money and more competitive students. I don’t know
Indiana state universities get very few state dollars these days. They have been forced to find that money elsewhere, which often comes from out of state kids paying higher rates.

Indiana state universities get very few state dollars these days. They have been forced to find that money elsewhere, which often comes from out of state kids paying higher rates.
I thought that was why IU seemed to have a direct pipeline to New Jersey.

That isn't true of our colleges and universities. Why do you think there is such an insatiable demand from global kids to come here.
Because 50% are coming from China and India to learn the hard sciences and our profit driven University system sees them as better money makers than native born students?

international-students-in-the-us-by-country-of-origin.jpg

Very interesting. I know iu for a state school accepts more out of state students than many/most
Anecdotally, none of my Indiana friends have kids going to IU. I know three different families from Maryland, one from Ohio and one from Connecticut sending their kids to IU.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Because 50% are coming from China and India to learn the hard sciences and our profit driven University system sees them as better money makers than native born students?

I'm not sure I understand how this bears on how good the university system is here. It's the best in the world, from what I understand--that's why those Chinese and Indian kids are coming here.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

I don’t disagree with you, but at least at the state school level, the GOP has consistently cut state funding to state universities. Foreign students pay the most. We could incentivize schools to accept less foreign students, however that would require more state funds. I don’t see that happening.

• Sad

"when people tell you who they are, believe them".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

our universities have been telling us who they are for some time now, and doing so most publicly through their athletic divisions.

and they have been telling us all that matters is money, and maxing revenues.

IU can make more on the football gate by pricing tickets such that the stadium is half full, than pricing to fill capacity.

or pricing to cover costs.. even cover the costs of all athletics through fball and basketball, which SHOULD be the target pricing goal for a state subsidized tax free non profit.

but state non profit universities aren't pricing to cover expenses, they are pricing to max revenues.

and now behave as corporations, not non profit state subsidized institutions.

when everyone sees what's going on in college athletics today, why would anyone assume the educational side has totally different values or goals.

and the big universities now control our hospitals and healthcare systems, including the doctors.

why would we assume they are running their hospital and healthcare divisions with any different profit goal in mind than their athletic division.

they keep telling us who they are. we should believe them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on a side note regarding infrastructure,

IU is and has been tearing down some dorms/student housing and not replacing it, (mostly grad student iirc), while the student body grows or stays the same.

besides Cook, which has long been very very heavily invested in the student apt rental market, i have to wonder who else with influence in IU's decision making is invested in off campus student housing/rentals.

and for those who are so invested, if there are more than just Cook Inc and i'm guessing there are more than Cook, would the demographic make up of IU's student body not be of particular interest to them, especially with the explosion of luxury off campus private student apts.

"when people tell you who they are, believe them".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

our universities have been telling us who they are for some time now, and doing so most publicly through their athletic divisions.

and they have been telling us all that matters is money, and maxing revenues.

IU can make more on the football gate by pricing tickets such that the stadium is half full, than pricing to fill capacity.

or pricing to cover costs.. even cover the costs of all athletics through fball and basketball, which SHOULD be the target pricing goal for a state subsidized tax free non profit.

but state non profit universities aren't pricing to cover expenses, they are pricing to max revenues.

and now behave as corporations, not non profit state subsidized institutions.

when everyone sees what's going on in college athletics today, why would anyone assume the educational side has totally different values or goals.

and the big universities now control our hospitals and healthcare systems, including the doctors.

why would we assume they are running their hospital and healthcare divisions with any different profit goal in mind than their athletic division.

they keep telling us who they are. we should believe them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on a side note regarding infrastructure,

IU is and has been tearing down some dorms/student housing and not replacing it, (mostly grad student iirc), while the student body grows or stays the same.

besides Cook, which has long been very very heavily invested in the student apt rental market, i have to wonder who else with influence in IU's decision making is invested in off campus student housing/rentals.

and for those who are so invested, if there are more than just Cook Inc and i'm guessing there are more than Cook, would the demographic make up of IU's student body not be of particular interest to them, especially with the explosion of luxury off campus private student apts.

It’s not personal. It’s just education

That’s why my kids will be attending USI, the Harvard of Kentuckiana.

I kid, I hope to get them out of the out of this state so they can see a different part of the country and be a little independent.
I think USI is more expensive than Purdue. I’m not 100% sure about that but when my son was looking at costs…that seems to be what I remember reading

I think USI is more expensive than Purdue. I’m not 100% sure about that but when my son was looking at costs…that seems to be what I remember reading
What did I say? The Harvard of Kentuckiana.

The schools don’t post their cost of attendance exactly the same, but for annual tuition/fees/room/board
IU - $25,170
PU - $20,022
USI - $19,133

Invest in those 529s folks

Reactions: Spartans9312
What did I say? The Harvard of Kentuckiana.

The schools don’t post their cost of attendance exactly the same, but for annual tuition/fees/room/board
IU - $25,170
PU - $20,022
USI - $19,133

Invest in those 529s folks
I guess I was wrong…too many smarty pops

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT