ADVERTISEMENT

Got a little bit of "inside info." tonight

zibby43

Redshirt
Jan 2, 2017
Nothing necessarily earth-shattering, but I found it interesting.

This was unsolicited (i.e., I didn't go digging for it). It came up naturally in the course of conversation today with my best friend, who recently visited IU in the course of his business, as he works closely with one of the coaching staffs in another area of the athletics dep't.

My friend is a zero BS type of guy. Whether the info. he was provided is 100% accurate, who knows, so take it for what it is worth.

- Archie is perceived as a bit of a prick by some of the other staffs in IU athletics; a large part of this is due to the fact that he's not very personable or approachable.

- Archie and his staff struggle to motivate their players and unify them behind a single cause/goal; several players on the team are oftentimes checked out at practice. They don't practice hard; instead they just go through the motions, and they're not bothered by it.

- There's no guarantee Archie's around next season if there's another meltdown season with no tournament appearance. At some point you have to weigh the buyout vs the damage to the brand.

Honestly, I'm surprised more people here haven't commented about Archie's manner of speaking. Normally, I wouldn't give a damn about something so trivial, but as a coach, you need to be dynamic. He's oftentimes just so monotone with a glazed over look in his eyes. I don't want/need him to be a wild man all the time, but you need some personality range to be able to deal with a wide variety of personalities on your team.

This was unsolicited (i.e., I didn't go digging for it). It came up naturally in the course of conversation today with my best friend, who recently visited IU in the course of his business, as he works closely with one of the coaching staffs in another area of the athletics dep't.

My friend is a zero BS type of guy. Whether the info. he was provided is 100% accurate, who knows, so take it for what it is worth.

- Archie is perceived as a bit of a prick by some of the other staffs in IU athletics; a large part of this is due to the fact that he's not very personable or approachable.

- Archie and his staff struggle to motivate their players and unify them behind a single cause/goal; several players on the team are oftentimes checked out at practice. They don't practice hard; instead they just go through the motions, and they're not bothered by it.

- There's no guarantee Archie's around next season if there's another meltdown season with no tournament appearance. At some point you have to weigh the buyout vs the damage to the brand.

Honestly, I'm surprised more people here haven't commented about Archie's manner of speaking. Normally, I wouldn't give a damn about something so trivial, but as a coach, you need to be dynamic. He's oftentimes just so monotone with a glazed over look in his eyes. I don't want/need him to be a wild man all the time, but you need some personality range to be able to deal with a wide variety of personalities on your team.
This all sounds very believable

He could speak in any tone of voice he wanted if his teams were playing hard, improving, winning games, etc. That they haven’t done that over 3 seasons, I guess, makes it a topic of discussion. His demeanor suggests no sense of urgency.

Also, we don’t need inside info to know the players don’t play hard for him. It’s abundantly clear pretty much every time they take the floor. And, what’s worse, nobody seems to get punished for it.

The fact we hired a coach that is practically family with Calipari is disturbing enough

The fact we hired a coach that is practically family with Calipari is disturbing enough
They may be practically family....but none of the good stuff made its way through the genes. Hell, none of the bad stuff did either. We may hate Cal here (it comes with the territory). But there’s no disputing the guy’s success.

If Calipari’s team was playing like this, even briefly, he’d be taking responsibility for it and begging for UK fans’ forgiveness. Archie doesn’t even acknowledge the suck.

This all sounds very believable

Sobering.

He could speak in any tone of voice he wanted if his teams were playing hard, improving, winning games, etc. That they haven’t done that over 3 seasons, I guess, makes it a topic of discussion. His demeanor suggests no sense of urgency.

Also, we don’t need inside info to know the players don’t play hard for him. It’s abundantly clear pretty much every time they take the floor. And, what’s worse, nobody seems to get punished for it.

That was what I was trying to get at: maybe that approach is not effective with his players?

I thought the lapses in effort during stretches of games were a result of being discouraged by their poor play. The fact that this happens at practice is malpractice.

This doesn't surprise me. Based on what we see in games, I assumed this was the case. Even if I thought that these players wouldn't be back next year (i.e. Seniors and/or transfers) this concerns me because the precedent has been set for those that do return that they can f around and not try without repercussions.

He lost the team last year because he allowed lackadaisical play. That hasn't changed this year and we're seeing the same result. I can understand not wanting to intentionally lose a game they can or should win by sitting players but he can't let this continue if he wants to keep his job. He needs to send a message somehow. Suspend players if that is what it takes, even if it means losing. Hell, they're doing a good enough job of losing already. Maybe sit the seniors to get the freshmen and sophomores more minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Gerdis and zibby43

With the amount of money we get from big ten money the buyout should not be a reason at all to keep him.

I don't put much faith in any rumor... but ..

I've always said that coaching at this level is not about x and o's, you prove you have them at the mid major level. Or like Crean prove you don't. It's about managing and motivating player egos and wading the politics of the administration. So, though I don't put any validity to your rumor, due to his inward personality, it's possible.

I don't see being a prick as an issue though, the losing is the real problem.. all your flaws show up when you lose and flaws are ignored when you win.

LOL we had a dynamic coach and fired him. IU doesn't want a dynamic coach. They have what they want. Outside of that, the past 20+ years will go down as a case study in how rare Hall of Fame coaches are and if you have one and fire him, you aren't likely to get another one.

Mm, yeah. OK. But that has no bearing on decisions made since — and the fact that IU seems to accept long-term mediocrity.

UNC kept up their high level of competition after Smith left. UK did after Rupp (and Hall, and Pitino) left. Kansas did after Brown and Roy left.

Our problem is that we’re too tolerant of futility. And it’s become ingrained in our program’s culture. We need to un-ingrain it. Demand success, vocally. If we don’t, we’ll never be consistently good again...whoever is coaching.

Mm, yeah. OK. But that has no bearing on decisions made since — and the fact that IU seems to accept long-term mediocrity.

UNC kept up their high level of competition after Smith left. UK did after Rupp (and Hall, and Pitino) left. Kansas did after Brown and Roy left.

Our problem is that we’re too tolerant of futility. And it’s become ingrained in our program’s culture. We need to un-ingrain it. Demand success, vocally. If we don’t, we’ll never be consistently good again...whoever is coaching.

IU wants mediocrity. There's no other explanation. They never again want a coach who's bigger than the university.

Belicheat has zero personality and isn't dynamic at all. But the brother wins like no one ever has in football. He knows how to actually teach, set expectations and then demands results. Makes the necessary adjustments in game to give his players the best opportunity to make plays. Archie doesn't appear to do any of that.

I can't think of one player that's truly improved under Archie. I loathed Crean, but there is no denying that players like Oladipo and Sheehey improved and were much better when they left. Archie's guards are garbage and he's not improved any of them.

That's my problem with him. I really don't expect 5 star talent. And not sure I would want a team full of one and dones. But he doesn't seem to get the most out of what he has.

Bottom line is he's never been likable. Which I'm fine with but you sure as hell better win like Belicheat if you are going to be a walking a-hole.

Reactions: iulb and zibby43
IU wants mediocrity. There's no other explanation. They never again want a coach who's bigger than the university.
I don’t think this is right. I do think we’ve made that choice - but I don’t think anybody “wants” it.

What we lack, from the top, is an absolute commitment to winning - and not merely in word, but in deed. When the university leadership establishes this, and makes it clear they’ll accept nothing less, things will get better.

But instead what we have is a culture of tolerance of being average.

Reactions: Lillyr66
I don’t think this is right. I do think we’ve made that choice - but I don’t think anybody “wants” it.

What we lack, from the top, is an absolute commitment to winning - and not merely in word, but in deed. When the university leadership establishes this, and makes it clear they’ll accept nothing less, things will get better.

But instead what we have is a culture of tolerance of being average.
IU has a retiring AD who never played and never coached, yet he’s the overseer for 24 sports. Why would anyone be surprised that he’s struggled to do that part of his job well? In what other profession does someone with no practical experience get that job? If they repeat that mistake with Glass’s replacement, don’t expect things to change.

A question: Who else did Glass interview before offering Miller the job?

I don't put much faith in any rumor... but ..

I've always said that coaching at this level is not about x and o's, you prove you have them at the mid major level. Or like Crean prove you don't. It's about managing and motivating player egos and wading the politics of the administration. So, though I don't put any validity to your rumor, due to his inward personality, it's possible.

I don't see being a prick as an issue though, the losing is the real problem.. all your flaws show up when you lose and flaws are ignored when you win.

Precisely.

As to the validity of the rumor, I totally understand the skepticism. I can't put my friend in a tough spot and reveal what he does or who he speaks with, specifically, but I can say that his sources (multiple) have direct/firsthand knowledge of the information shared.

The part about Archie's future is the most speculative component piece of the equation, but when you're not winning at the level that is expected and ruffling feathers, you have a lot less margin to work with, and that is becoming evident over time.

IU has a retiring AD who never played and never coached, yet he’s the overseer for 24 sports. Why would anyone be surprised that he’s struggled to do that part of his job well? In what other profession does someone with no practical experience get that job? If they repeat that mistake with Glass’s replacement, don’t expect things to change.

Well, I don’t think it’s necessary for somebody to have played or coached to be an effective administrator. They’re different skill sets.

That’s not my problem with Glass. My problem is that he tolerates poor performance for too long a time. Patience is a virtue, that’s true. But practiced in excess, it becomes vice.

not Holtmann, apparently, since he allegedly had no desire to coach in the IU "fishbowl"

Mack maybe? don't remember now...

I'm not sure, but I hope we get an AD that is more concerned with winning than appeasing the Administration and the NCAA. Glass and his stupid Student Bill of Rights are all about proving that IU is so overly compliant with rules that it's ridiculous. He was hired to 'clean' up the athletic dept. He was in charge of getting us compliant with all the rules and to calm all the drama. The reality in sports today is if you aren't pushing the rules, then you aren't winning.

Look at Arizona and Kansas. The FBI caught them cheating. Neither penalized and both ranked and still very successful. The NCAA is a total shitshow. And has been forever. Had we not be totally moronic and self reported Sampson, we'd still be a real blue blood top 10 program. Instead we decided to be the 'good guys' who we proved always finish last (and don't make the tournament).

It won't happen but my wish for the next AD is to end any compliance program the athletic dept has. Get rid of the Student Bill of Rights. Instead, simply direct all coaches to do their best to follow the rules with the understanding that winning and graduating students is their #1 priority. Then handle any mistakes internally.

Well, I don’t think it’s necessary for somebody to have played or coached to be an effective administrator. They’re different skill sets.

That’s not my problem with Glass. My problem is that he tolerates poor performance for too long a time. Patience is a virtue, that’s true. But practiced in excess, it becomes vice.
Well, I think you’ve made my point. He tolerates poor performance because coaching and performance in those areas isn’t intuitive to him, and so his recognition is impaired. He doesn’t understand what it takes to win, so he doesn’t react quickly when things go off the rails or when a rebuild isn’t on track. Again, I think those are issues of practical experience that he lacks, and his reactions are examples of that.

Well, I think you’ve made my point. He tolerates poor performance because coaching and performance in those areas isn’t intuitive to him, and so his recognition is impaired. He doesn’t understand what it takes to win, so he doesn’t react quickly when things go off the rails or when a rebuild isn’t on track. Again, I think those are issues of practical experience that he lacks, and his reactions are examples of that.

The Crean extension is an example of it as well. His best hire was Allen, who fell in his lap after the Wilson disaster.

At this point we have to hope we miss the tourney which looks likely and Miller gets canned. Squeaking in as an 11 or 12 seed and getting boat raced in the first round by a 5 or 6 seed in the first round does nothing for the program. It will help Miller's case that he is making progress but hopefully the new AD just cleans house and see this for the freaking dumpster fire that it is.

Reactions: iulb and ReadHall84
At this point we have to hope we miss the tourney which looks likely and Miller gets canned. Squeaking in as an 11 or 12 seed and getting boat raced in the first round by a 5 or 6 seed in the first round does nothing for the program. It will help Miller's case that he is making progress but hopefully the new AD just cleans house and see this for the freaking dumpster fire that it is.
He’s not getting fired after this season whether they’re in the tournament or not.

He should be and if they stick with him then that is precisely why the program is a shell of its former self.

He’s not getting fired after this season whether they’re in the tournament or not.
I agree. And that’s a hallmark symptom of our core problem.

We need more than a coaching change. We need to rid ourselves of the paradigm which underlies the approaching reality that we can and will tolerate a coach who misses 3 straight tournaments and who, despite that, still has a job.

Reactions: iulb and IUgradman

The guy's name is Ryan.... Archie is a family nickname for fkn Archie Bunker..... so the idea that he's a prick shouldn't really be news to people.

IU had the biggest prick in sports for 25+ years, that worked out.

The problem seems to be he hasn't been a big enough prick.... and just boot those that didn't buy in.... right from the start. He tried to be half pregnant, and it may well end up costing him the job.

I agree. And that’s a hallmark symptom of our core problem.

We need more than a coaching change. We need to rid ourselves of the paradigm which underlies the approaching reality that we can and will tolerate a coach who misses 3 straight tournaments and who, despite that, still has a job.
Exactly. This is a joke that this kind of piss poor play and coaching is tolerated.

How can missing the tournament for three straight years (or is it four after this season's debacle as I am losing track?) result in keeping your job? And at $3.5 mil a year to boot! Look in the dictionary or actually we are in 2020 so more appropriately google the word overpaid and there is Archie's clueless mug staring back at you. Hell even a football school like Nebraska would can their coach with that utter lack of results. Have they heard of the word accountability in Indiana, what an embarrassment the program is to this great university.

I'm not sure, but I hope we get an AD that is more concerned with winning than appeasing the Administration and the NCAA. Glass and his stupid Student Bill of Rights are all about proving that IU is so overly compliant with rules that it's ridiculous. He was hired to 'clean' up the athletic dept. He was in charge of getting us compliant with all the rules and to calm all the drama. The reality in sports today is if you aren't pushing the rules, then you aren't winning.

Look at Arizona and Kansas. The FBI caught them cheating. Neither penalized and both ranked and still very successful. The NCAA is a total shitshow. And has been forever. Had we not be totally moronic and self reported Sampson, we'd still be a real blue blood top 10 program. Instead we decided to be the 'good guys' who we proved always finish last (and don't make the tournament).

It won't happen but my wish for the next AD is to end any compliance program the athletic dept has. Get rid of the Student Bill of Rights. Instead, simply direct all coaches to do their best to follow the rules with the understanding that winning and graduating students is their #1 priority. Then handle any mistakes internally.

In a rare defense of FG, and I can't wait for his tenure to be done, do you not suppose the SBOR was a message to Crean that he better not Crean so much?

We shouldn't have to hope for that and fortunately, I don't think we'll have to Losing comes very naturally to them

The Crean extension is an example of it as well. His best hire was Allen, who fell in his lap after the Wilson disaster.
Glass has made good baseball coaching hires. I can't fault Glass for hiring Archie. On paper, Archie is a good hire. Pretty much everybody thought it was a good hire, including me. But, Archie is really struggling out there on the pitching mound right now, and I think he needs to get yanked: hope I'm wrong. He just hasn't been able to make the transition from mid-major to a big boy program. I will say that there are roster issues with this team (duh), but it is Archie's roster: bring in the blue chips or find some hidden gems and coach 'em up.

Last edited:
After yesterday's debacle, I'm on the fence now with this coach and IU Basketball. Archie was at or near the top of every list for openings when IU hired the guy. Yet, 3 years and over 10 million dollars later, IU is staring down the barrel of another miss of the NCAA tournament. If ever there was a case for all parties involved to sit down and work something out in the best interest for everyone this must be it.

I realize there are many people who did not like some of Coach Knight's antics but they certainly can't argue with the results in terms of basketball IQ and hanging banners. It was great to see him out on that floor yesterday and I wish I could have been there in person. Still, as exciting as it was, in the end it felt like all of the history, tradition and winning walked right out the doors of Assembly Hall with Coach Knight yesterday! Very, very disappointing. How can this IU team not show up and at least be competitive in this game of all games???

To be fair to Glass he wanted to move on Crean a year earlier but was thwarted. Quinn stepped in the next season and helped ensure it got done. Glass botched the extensions for both Crean and Wilson though.

If that first part is true, it sounds like Archie has short man syndrome.

The guy's name is Ryan.... Archie is a family nickname for fkn Archie Bunker..... so the idea that he's a prick shouldn't really be news to people.

IU had the biggest prick in sports for 25+ years, that worked out.

The problem seems to be he hasn't been a big enough prick.... and just boot those that didn't buy in.... right from the start. He tried to be half pregnant, and it may well end up costing him the job.

The east coast accent and dry mannerisms of AM tend to rub some Midwesterners the wrong way. You are right that the fact is he has not been nearly enough of a prick and has tolerated too much "me me" among the players

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine

I just wonder . . . has Glass tolerated poor performance? Maybe - but perhaps he is just part of the problem.

I’ve always wondered how much McRobbie plays into this. I heard a rumor (since we’re talking rumors ;) ) back when we hired Archie that we went after Donovan first. It all fell apart the Tuesday before we hired Miller because, as the rumor goes, McRobbie wouldn’t sign off on paying BD big bucks (in the $7-8 million range). IF that is true, it would fit the timeline of when Miller came into the picture (Archie told his dad on that Thursday night in San Diego, after Arizona’s loss to Xavier in Sw16).

IF we have to end up getting rid of Miller and have to start over again o_O, the most important hires won’t necessarily be who is available as coach, but who we hire as University President/Athletic Director. Because If you don’t get those hires right you’ll likely get the same results we’ve had the last 20 years.

I have a friend who has a son on this team. Green is a cancer and it shows. Jared Odle commented that there is a cancer or two on this team. I think the other one may be Anderson. Miller should dismiss Green from the team now. Play a walk on if you have to. I think the team would loosen up and play better.

I just wonder . . . has Glass tolerated poor performance? Maybe - but perhaps he is just part of the problem.

I’ve always wondered how much McRobbie plays into this. I heard a rumor (since we’re talking rumors ;) ) back when we hired Archie that we went after Donovan first. It all fell apart the Tuesday before we hired Miller because, as the rumor goes, McRobbie wouldn’t sign off on paying BD big bucks (in the $7-8 million range). IF that is true, it would fit the timeline of when Miller came into the picture (Archie told his dad on that Thursday night in San Diego, after Arizona’s loss to Xavier in Sw16).

IF we have to end up getting rid of Miller and have to start over again o_O, the most important hires won’t necessarily be who is available as coach, but who we hire as University President/Athletic Director. Because If you don’t get those hires right you’ll likely get the same results we’ve had the last 20 years.

What, specifically, is in this student-athlete bill of rights I keep hearing about that is supposedly hindering a coach’s ability to win at Indiana? I’ve found articles with mentioning certain parts and saw it was instituted in 2014, but what specific parts are people referring to? Is there a paragraph that says “student-athletes, at any time, can tell their coach to f*** off and discontinue listening”?

Reactions: abraxis
What, specifically, is in this student-athlete bill of rights I keep hearing about that is supposedly hindering a coach’s ability to win at Indiana? I’ve found articles with mentioning certain parts and saw it was instituted in 2014, but what specific parts are people referring to? Is there a paragraph that says “student-athletes, at any time, can tell their coach to f*** off and discontinue listening”?
???

Was this supposed to be a question to what I posted?

Absolutely nothing. SBOR is mostly window dressing but does protect students from being abused and provides certain protections around scholarships. It was written primarily for helicopter parents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT