ADVERTISEMENT

Going to first IU game on Wednesday

Feb 27, 2009
I’m going to my first IU basketball game on Wednesday and wanted to see what advice people had for what to do. I’ll be driving down from Indianapolis after work (hopefully leaving around 5ish), so I hopefully should have at least an hour before tipoff, maybe two,

I’ve never been down to Bloomington (I’ve been to some nearby state parks but not the town) and had a couple questions

-where’s the best place to park?
-any go to spot to grab food/beer before the game?

Unfortunately I have to drive back up to Indy after the game. But I’m really excited to take in a game at Assembly hall. I’m originally from North Carolina (went to UNC) but just love college basketball in general and couldn’t let my years here in Indiana (as part of medical training) pass without taking in a game there.

PS: thanks again for beating Duke in 2002

I’m going to my first IU basketball game on Wednesday and wanted to see what advice people had for what to do. I’ll be driving down from Indianapolis after work (hopefully leaving around 5ish), so I hopefully should have at least an hour before tipoff, maybe two,

I’ve never been down to Bloomington (I’ve been to some nearby state parks but not the town) and had a couple questions

Unfortunately I have to drive back up to Indy after the game. But I’m really excited to take in a game at Assembly hall. I’m originally from North Carolina (went to UNC) but just love college basketball in general and couldn’t let my years here in Indiana (as part of medical training) pass without taking in a game there.

If you can get dinner reservations at Janko's Little Zagreb's, I'd do it. Might be too late though. Malibu Grill is another great restaurant on the square in Bloomington. If you want alumni nostalgia type atmosphere and this is your only time in Btown, I'd hit Nick's on Kirkwood for a Stromboli and beer.

Welcome! Btown is a great college town... right up there with Chapel Hill! I'm the opposite: a Hoosier who's been in Charlotte NC for 25+ years. Agree with the other folks, if you can leave earlier, you should and have plenty to fill up an afternoon. Getting by Cook Hall (practice facility) is cool as they have a small museum/memoribilia type area. Definitely getting to the game a little early is always good to look around. If you're on a time budget, head straight to Nicks and order a pint and a stromboli as soon as you are seated. Great environment and lots of IU pics and memorabilia. I always like getting shirts and gear when I visit someplace and I think they may sell some at Assembly Hall, but I always visit TIS Bookstore. The IU Student Union is nice to visit also (scenes from Breaking Away filmed in the cafe and bowling alley). Pretty campus, Showalter Fountain, the Library, Music Auditorium are all worth visits as is the HPER. Mother Bears has great pizza if you do have time.

Also if in IN, get to a Butler game at Hinkle, and a trip out to Knightstown to see the Hoosiers Gym is cool... only about an hour. And finally I'd recommend catching a great high school rivalry game somewhere (others can give better locations and venues). That's what differentiates IN basketball and fans imo. You've got better college ball in NC for sure now, but the fans and statewide obsession, while lessened for the time being, is still stronger in IN.

Reactions: ufo33
Welcome! Btown is a great college town... right up there with Chapel Hill! I'm the opposite: a Hoosier who's been in Charlotte NC for 25+ years. Agree with the other folks, if you can leave earlier, you should and have plenty to fill up an afternoon. Getting by Cook Hall (practice facility) is cool as they have a small museum/memoribilia type area. Definitely getting to the game a little early is always good to look around. If you're on a time budget, head straight to Nicks and order a pint and a stromboli as soon as you are seated. Great environment and lots of IU pics and memorabilia. I always like getting shirts and gear when I visit someplace and I think they may sell some at Assembly Hall, but I always visit TIS Bookstore. The IU Student Union is nice to visit also (scenes from Breaking Away filmed in the cafe and bowling alley). Pretty campus, Showalter Fountain, the Library, Music Auditorium are all worth visits as is the HPER. Mother Bears has great pizza if you do have time.

Also if in IN, get to a Butler game at Hinkle, and a trip out to Knightstown to see the Hoosiers Gym is cool... only about an hour. And finally I'd recommend catching a great high school rivalry game somewhere (others can give better locations and venues). That's what differentiates IN basketball and fans imo. You've got better college ball in NC for sure now, but the fans and statewide obsession, while lessened for the time being, is still stronger in IN.

I really like Malibu Grill (after Nick's) but we always like to eat in the bar section to the right of the entry. It just feels good there. Definitely walk through the Sample Gate. The Old Crescent, or whatever they call it, is like walking back in time on the brick-laid pathways in Dunn's Woods. To me it's a sacred spot, and one, that spot, for good contemplation. (Forgive me, English teacher!) If it is snowing and night, with the old-fashioned street lights glowing, it is even better. Then the clock tower chimes it's familiar melody, marking the start of a new hour, a transition if you will. Yeah, do that and give your hubby or whomever a big wet one in the Old Well House at the east edge of the woods. You gotta see the nearby statue of Chancellor Herman B. Wells. If you stand just right with your body against Herm's...excuse me, Chanceller Emeritus Herman B. Wells' outreached hand, it makes for a great photo op and guaranteed laughs...unless you hang out with the wrong crowd.

Take a brief hike through the hallowed halls of the world's largest Student Union building. I remember one room in particular that had a large fireplace with a grand piano next to it. It was a good place to study when not people watching. If it's your lucky day, and those days came easily here, a professor from the world renowned Jordan School of Music will just so happen to sit down for an hour or so of concert quality piano playing who-knows-what song.

Anyway, I shall ramble no longer. Yes, go earlier than what you think you should and thank me later the way to your choosing.

If you can get dinner reservations at Janko's Little Zagreb's, I'd do it. Might be too late though. Malibu Grill is another great restaurant on the square in Bloomington. If you want alumni nostalgia type atmosphere and this is your only time in Btown, I'd hit Nick's on Kirkwood for a Stromboli and beer.
Nick's is a good spot but have a backup plan. The last time I have tried to eat there on a game day, we dropped someone off and drove looking for a place to park. We ended up leaving for plan B.

Coach's usually has no wait and is quick if Plan A is too busy. I like food, but I would focus on basketball if this is your only game. Visiting Cook Hall (practice facility next to SSAH) and getting into SSAH early to take a lap inside the building would be my recommendation. I believe the doors open 90 minutes before the game.

Leave early. Leave now! Go check out Kirkwood after the game. You don't need sleep and it will be fun to celebrate with the students!

I really like Malibu Grill (after Nick's) but we always like to eat in the bar section to the right of the entry. It just feels good there. Definitely walk through the Sample Gate. The Old Crescent, or whatever they call it, is like walking back in time on the brick-laid pathways in Dunn's Woods. To me it's a sacred spot, and one, that spot, for good contemplation. (Forgive me, English teacher!) If it is snowing and night, with the old-fashioned street lights glowing, it is even better. Then the clock tower chimes it's familiar melody, marking the start of a new hour, a transition if you will. Yeah, do that and give your hubby or whomever a big wet one in the Old Well House at the east edge of the woods. You gotta see the nearby statue of Chancellor Herman B. Wells. If you stand just right with your body against Herm's...excuse me, Chanceller Emeritus Herman B. Wells' outreached hand, it makes for a great photo op and guaranteed laughs...unless you hang out with the wrong crowd.

I am never going in Dunn's woods with you.

Reactions: kkott
Just got season tickets can't wait, I'll be there too. Expecting a raucous crowd for the first big game of the season!

I don't believe Cook Hall is open to the public on game days (at least it wasn't previously). But I do concur that it is a great place to visit - just don't park in the huge/near empty lot outside of Cook Hall without proper credentials.

And I also agree with others that have said you should leave earlier. Much earlier. Take the full afternoon off, you won't regret it.

You will want to head to the stadium from eating anywhere in bloominton 45 min prior to tip-off...waiting 10 minutes longer could cost you 25+ minutes...if you want to see line-ups, anthem etc...
and I say that having a Hoosier100 parking pass...

Take it from a Hoosier grad in NC, Malibu Grill is vastly overrated. Otherwise, most suggestions are on track. I would suggest leaving earlier. Zagreb’s (steaks), Nick’s (atmosphere), Upland (beer), Uptown Cafe (overall good food).

If you wish to take in the campus it’s primarily a walking campus. I’d park near the Student Union and walk around if it’s not frigid. Campus is beautiful.

I’m interested to hear what you think about your experience!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT