ADVERTISEMENT

First Game Experience

goody1986

Junior
Oct 16, 2004
First, I'm thrilled we won. I'll take it wherever and however we can get it. Nice to see the team not give in. Some musings from the game experience:

1) Attendance: As others have mentioned, I was actually fairly pleased with attendance, particularly student attendance. Wish more would have stayed longer than the first half, but showing up is a start. The only way to consistently sell out a stadium and keep folks there is to win consistently. But I think other things can help bolster attendance, too.

3) The Team and the Game: The game was devastatingly boring until the final minutes. Almost 4 hours exactly, 43 total points. You've got to really love IU or Illinois to stay for that chore. These games happen, but my concern is that this is the type of team CTA has built and that we will consistently see - low-scoring and boring. We'll see if the new offensive coordinator and his scheme settles in, but certainly was not an exciting brand of football in game 1. Style won't matter much if we win in bunches, but I've been an IU fan too long to expect that.

4) The O-line stinks. That's on Allen at this point.

5) The Band: The band was a little better than I remember with song choice in-game and during half-time. So happy we didn't get another Earth, Wind, and Fire halftime show. Not completely outdated. I hate to even mention it because I know the kids put their hearts in it, but I'm not sure I saw a single straight line in the band's formations. They were all over the place and sloppy. As usual, a little quieter than I'd like from them as well. I would love our Marching Hundred members to get the best direction, be valued by the fans, and put on a good show. They're not getting what they need from the University to deliver, and that's hugely disappointing. The band members deserve it.

6) The Stadium: I live several states away and hadn't been in a few years. I was disappointed to see that many of the stadium graphics outside were faded or taken down. The west side of the stadium is completely blah now. Also, those new LED lights should have included color - huge missed opportunity for these night games.

7) I sat in Henke and was excited for that. I've got to be honest, it was one of the least impressive premium seating experiences I've had. The seats were comfortable enough with enough leg room, and the Henke Hall space really is quite nice. It was nice to have room to get up and stand to watch the game outside of the Henke doors too. But the actual amenities - food and atmosphere inside, were super disappointing and don't match the experiences I've had at other football games and events. It felt amateur.

8) Virtually all of the piped in stadium music was from 2000-2010. Just absolutely outdated, almost comically. As usual, even our efforts to catch up with the times fall short. It's really not that hard to be somewhat current - get a few good student interns and you're set.

9) Easy traditions are missing: The athletic department's attempts to alter traditions have truly killed the mood. When I was at IU, the band played the fight song after a touchdown, as is typical, and the "first down march" tradition started. Now, there is no first down tradition/fan engagement at all, and we play a non-school song after touchdowns followed by the school song after the extra point. What happened to 3-4Q transition William Tell? I know the reasons for many of these changes, but they could have easily altered things without killing them. There was very little collective fan engagement. This was made clearer to me by a non-IU friend that came with that was surprised that we didn't do anything for much of anything. The athletic department killed the few things people actually participated in.

I also went to the OSU-ND game Saturday night. Of course, the environment was great and 106,000 fans is impressive, but each butt gets about 6 inches of seat, fans kept yelling at other fans to sit down, and the famed tOSU Best Damn Band in the Land, while precise, was really quiet in person and basically a non-factor during the game. The half-time show did include drones making various OSU images, which was impressive and caught folks' attention. They had nearly perfect coordination between the band, piped in music, announcer, and game, which we can't seem to get right at IU. They definitely used music to their advantage.

First, I'm thrilled we won. I'll take it wherever and however we can get it. Nice to see the team not give in. Some musings from the game experience:

1) Attendance: As others have mentioned, I was actually fairly pleased with attendance, particularly student attendance. Wish more would have stayed longer than the first half, but showing up is a start. The only way to consistently sell out a stadium and keep folks there is to win consistently. But I think other things can help bolster attendance, too.

3) The Team and the Game: The game was devastatingly boring until the final minutes. Almost 4 hours exactly, 43 total points. You've got to really love IU or Illinois to stay for that chore. These games happen, but my concern is that this is the type of team CTA has built and that we will consistently see - low-scoring and boring. We'll see if the new offensive coordinator and his scheme settles in, but certainly was not an exciting brand of football in game 1. Style won't matter much if we win in bunches, but I've been an IU fan too long to expect that.

5) The Band: The band was a little better than I remember with song choice in-game and during half-time. So happy we didn't get another Earth, Wind, and Fire halftime show. Not completely outdated. I hate to even mention it because I know the kids put their hearts in it, but I'm not sure I saw a single straight line in the band's formations. They were all over the place and sloppy. As usual, a little quieter than I'd like from them as well. I would love our Marching Hundred members to get the best direction, be valued by the fans, and put on a good show. They're not getting what they need from the University to deliver, and that's hugely disappointing. The band members deserve it.

6) The Stadium: I live several states away and hadn't been in a few years. I was disappointed to see that many of the stadium graphics outside were faded or taken down. The west side of the stadium is completely blah now. Also, those new LED lights should have included color - huge missed opportunity for these night games.

7) I sat in Henke and was excited for that. I've got to be honest, it was one of the least impressive premium seating experiences I've had. The seats were comfortable enough with enough leg room, and the Henke Hall space really is quite nice. It was nice to have room to get up and stand to watch the game outside of the Henke doors too. But the actual amenities - food and atmosphere inside, were super disappointing and don't match the experiences I've had at other football games and events. It felt amateur.

8) Virtually all of the piped in stadium music was from 2000-2010. Just absolutely outdated, almost comically. As usual, even our efforts to catch up with the times fall short. It's really not that hard to be somewhat current - get a few good student interns and you're set.

9) Easy traditions are missing: The athletic department's attempts to alter traditions have truly killed the mood. When I was at IU, the band played the fight song after a touchdown, as is typical, and the "first down march" tradition started. Now, there is no first down tradition/fan engagement at all, and we play a non-school song after touchdowns followed by the school song after the extra point. What happened to 3-4Q transition William Tell? I know the reasons for many of these changes, but they could have easily altered things without killing them. There was very little collective fan engagement. This was made clearer to me by a non-IU friend that came with that was surprised that we didn't do anything for much of anything. The athletic department killed the few things people actually participated in.

I also went to the OSU-ND game Saturday night. Of course, the environment was great and 106,000 fans is impressive, but each butt gets about 6 inches of seat, fans kept yelling at other fans to sit down, and the famed tOSU Best Damn Band in the Land, while precise, was really quiet in person and basically a non-factor during the game. The half-time show did include drones making various OSU images, which was impressive and caught folks' attention. They had nearly perfect coordination between the band, piped in music, announcer, and game, which we can't seem to get right at IU. They definitely used music to their advantage.
I really liked the music because it wasn't the stuff they pipe in before the game. I heard some 80's stuff.

It was the first game and defenses sometimes make the offenses look bad. We have 2 stud receivers though. Camper is the real deal. Bazelak made winning decisions.

They haven't played the full first down march in like 11 years. Wilson killed that. Allen brought it back, its just a shorter version. They play it every first down.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I had to laugh at this one because it reminded me of the time back when I was a student at IU and they piped in “The Streak” by Ray Stevens. I graduated in 2002…

I went to the Kentucky - LSU game last year in Lexington on our bye week, and it was so embarrassing how far behind we are from another traditional "non-football" school. First of all, they use their scoreboard for the simplest alternating <U - K> chant with arrows. Everybody in the crowd follows along. It's sooooooo easy.

Second, I totally agree about the William Tell deal. It was something that was unique, tied in other aspects of the athletic department, and was, at least, a tradition. Then, we scrapped if for Jack and Dianne. Weird flex, but OK. Now, it's Small Town. Is it just going to be a different Cougar song each year?

Third, was there even a hype video before the players walked out? It was so flat when they reached the tunnel.

Lastly, how hard is it to find a song that the fans gravitate toward? Kentucky has Grove Street. South Carolina has Sandstorm. Just pick one. People will fall in line.

“The game was devastatingly boring until the final minutes. Almost 4 hours exactly, 43 total points. You've got to really love IU or Illinois to stay for that chore. These games happen, but my concern is that this is the type of team CTA has built and that we will consistently see - low-scoring and boring.”

IU fans aren’t used to games that are a defensive slug fest . You are right! We prefer a loss in an exciting, high scoring game somewhere in the 56-52 score range. At least you got to see a high octane game the next night at 21-10.

Last edited:
Colored lights? What do you recommend...fluorescent green strobes? Geez.

What color lights did tOSU use while ND had possession?

I went to the Kentucky - LSU game last year in Lexington on our bye week, and it was so embarrassing how far behind we are from another traditional "non-football" school. First of all, they use their scoreboard for the simplest alternating <U - K> chant with arrows. Everybody in the crowd follows along. It's sooooooo easy.

Second, I totally agree about the William Tell deal. It was something that was unique, tied in other aspects of the athletic department, and was, at least, a tradition. Then, we scrapped if for Jack and Dianne. Weird flex, but OK. Now, it's Small Town. Is it just going to be a different Cougar song each year?

Third, was there even a hype video before the players walked out? It was so flat when they reached the tunnel.

Lastly, how hard is it to find a song that the fans gravitate toward? Kentucky has Grove Street. South Carolina has Sandstorm. Just pick one. People will fall in line.

Yes there was a hype video. You missed it.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I liked the buffaloes, and music they used to play just before the team would come in . Nothing done this year to get the crowd going , the team just kind of comes out . Also liked the game stats on the jumbo tron . They showed them at half , but never saw them again during the game . Also do we not sell programs anymore . We need to have and promote some in game traditions to get the rock rolling .

Reactions: 76-1
I liked the buffaloes, and music they used to play just before the team would come in . Nothing done this year to get the crowd going , the team just kind of comes out . Also liked the game stats on the jumbo tron . They showed them at half , but never saw them again during the game . Also do we not sell programs anymore . We need to have and promote some in game traditions to get the rock rolling .
Yes. They whiffed on the stats.

“The game was devastatingly boring until the final minutes. Almost 4 hours exactly, 43 total points. You've got to really love IU or Illinois to stay for that chore. These games happen, but my concern is that this is the type of team CTA has built and that we will consistently see - low-scoring and boring.”

IU fans aren’t used to games that are a defensive slug fest . You are right! We prefer a loss in an exciting, high scoring game somewhere in the 56-52 score range. At least you got to see a high octane game the next night at 21-10.
The long TV time outs and long play reviews made that game go on forever. It wasn’t the play on the field as much as the fact that the game had little flow to it with all the interruptions.

Colored lights? What do you recommend...fluorescent green strobes? Geez.

What color lights did tOSU use while ND had possession?
Do you watch other games? They’ve been shown on tv lots over the last few years. I’m referencing colored LED lights that some other schools already have that make for great TV moments, a great pre-game environment, halftime atmosphere improvement, between quarters transition to engage the crowd, and incredible photos/social media engagement, which we can use. You know, not being behind the times for once. South Carolina, Alabama, Nebraska all have them, for example, and use them to light the stadium red at various times.

In the link below, Herbstreit calls out South Carolina’s new LED lights for their contribution the atmosphere and fan engagement: “The pressure to deliver has never been more intense for Game Ops crews at every stadium in the country,” Herbstreit wrote. “With people not as motivated to come to games-these folks are the MVP’s to the fan experience. Some get it better than others. Great example of getting it here! Congrats!!”

Link: South Carolina’s new LED lights get noticed

The purpose of football is for enjoyment. Too many in our administration and some of our fans take some strange pride in a utilitarian approach to taking the game in. The “old school” philosophy. Screw that, we should catch up with trends, be a leader from time to time, and make attending the games a party. Little things like lighting help - that’s why it’s a concert staple.

BTW, in addition to extensive fireworks and piped in music, tOSU used drones during half time to put on an aerial show celebrating OSU and Ohio Stadium. Very cool.

Do you watch other games? They’ve been shown on tv lots over the last few years. I’m referencing colored LED lights that some other schools already have that make for great TV moments, a great pre-game environment, halftime atmosphere improvement, between quarters transition to engage the crowd, and incredible photos/social media engagement, which we can use. You know, not being behind the times for once. South Carolina, Alabama, Nebraska all have them, for example, and use them to light the stadium red at various times.

In the link below, Herbstreit calls out South Carolina’s new LED lights for their contribution the atmosphere and fan engagement: “The pressure to deliver has never been more intense for Game Ops crews at every stadium in the country,” Herbstreit wrote. “With people not as motivated to come to games-these folks are the MVP’s to the fan experience. Some get it better than others. Great example of getting it here! Congrats!!”

The purpose of football is for enjoyment. Too many in our administration and some of our fans take some strange pride in a utilitarian approach to taking the game in. The “old school” philosophy. Screw that, we should catch up with trends, be a leader from time to time, and make attending the games a party. Little things like lighting help - that’s why it’s a concert staple.

BTW, in addition to extensive fireworks and piped in music, tOSU used drones during half time to put on an aerial show celebrating OSU and Ohio Stadium. Very cool.
...key statement, make attending games a PARTY...and it won't cost a fortune...I forget who 1st brought it up but big flat screens in the concession area is another great addition for gameday...

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
...key statement, make attending games a PARTY...and it won't cost a fortune...I forget who 1st brought it up but big flat screens in the concession area is another great addition for gameday...
And not 50 inch screens. 99 + inch screens
I don't mean to throw the baby out with the bath water but the reality is many of what the tradition that Indiana football has embraced "upgrades" over the last 50 years or so has been a loser tradition.

The administration needs to look at the successful college and professional programs to see what they do and then attempt to mimic what works. I certainly hope they aren't playing the theme to The Godfather after first downs.

Last edited:
I get some of the game day vibe criticisms. But I have to admit I didn’t feel the game was boring at all live. There were a smattering of big plays on both O & D. It was a low scoring game for the times but not the Iowa debacle. Maybe my memory is clouded by it being a close win, but I had a ball watching. My 8 year old stayed up for the whole thing too and was fired up, although he crashed hard on the car ride home.

And not 50 inch screens. 99 + inch screens
I don't mean to throw the baby out with the bath water but the reality is many of what the tradition that Indiana football has embraced "upgrades" over the last 50 years or so has been a loser tradition.

The administration needs to look at the successful college and professional programs to see what they do and then attempt to mimic what works. I certainly hope they aren't playing the theme to The Godfather after first downs.
The theme to to The Godfather appears to have been retired..., hopefully permanently...

Let it never be spoken of again out of the fear of its potential return... 😖🍺

Last edited:
I get some of the game day vibe criticisms. But I have to admit I didn’t feel the game was boring at all live. There were a smattering of big plays on both O & D. It was a low scoring game for the times but not the Iowa debacle. Maybe my memory is clouded by it being a close win, but I had a ball watching. My 8 year old stayed up for the whole thing too and was fired up, although he crashed hard on the car ride home.
Not boring in my estimation and I was in a hotel room. If you are a score watcher only and are bored there are other choices.

Last edited:
During TV Timeouts and between plays they need to play songs like Rick James Super Freak the DiVinyls, I Touch Myself and 2 Live Crew's, Me So Horny. I'm sure the students would get into it.... :)

• Love
Reactions: Orbit7958
Being consistently competitive will draw fans in. More fans in stands will make atmosphere feel more exciting, which will cause more people to stay in their seats (crowds attract crowds). I couldn't care less about the artificial entertainment. I take my kids to Pacers games once in awhile. It's ridiculous. Prepackaged videos from the players telling the crowd - "4th quarter is starting, time to get loud." Just play the game well and we'll cheer. Start being consistently competitive and the crowds will come. Yes make the stadium better too - concessions, appearance, TVs but the team is main thing. Lipstick on a pig won't fix anything outside West Lafayette.

Lets be honest. The same amount of people were there to watch 56-52(probably a little less) then there was this past Saturday. We have very little tradition when it comes to football. Consistent winning seasons over a period of time is the only way to change this.

But in the meantime. The athletic department needs to maybe go catch a game at an SEC school. Just copy what they do for fans on Saturdays.

Lets be honest. The same amount of people were there to watch 56-52(probably a little less) then there was this past Saturday. We have very little tradition when it comes to football. Consistent winning seasons over a period of time is the only way to change this.

But in the meantime. The athletic department needs to maybe go catch a game at an SEC school. Just copy what they do for fans on Saturdays.
They can improve on the amenities. No doubt.
In the SEC, they could play in a pole barn and fans would show up in droves. They focus on the game and not the extracurricular stuff.

They can improve on the amenities. No doubt.
In the SEC, they could play in a pole barn and fans would show up in droves. They focus on the game and not the extracurricular stuff.
I’ve attended a whole bunch of SEC games. The “extracurricular stuff” is bigger, better, and more fun than in the B1G, in general. The fans focus on a lot more than the game - they are all in on singing rocky top, partying to sandstorm, shaking cow bells, club seats, suites, light shows, and drinks. They come for the pageantry and party as much as the football. SEC schools spend money and time on the “extracurricular stuff” because they have to - fan expectations for game experiences have changed.

I’ve attended a whole bunch of SEC games. The “extracurricular stuff” is bigger, better, and more fun than in the B1G, in general. The fans focus on a lot more than the game - they are all in on singing rocky top, partying to sandstorm, shaking cow bells, club seats, suites, light shows, and drinks. They come for the pageantry and party as much as the football. SEC schools spend money and time on the “extracurricular stuff” because they have to - fan expectations for game experiences have changed.
With a couple of exceptions in the Big Ten, the experience in most of the SEC stadiums is on a much higher level.

Reactions: goody1986
Enter sandman and teenage wasteland. At least that’s what they used to play.

Last edited:

I've had IU and UofL season tickets in the past and those two programs were night and day with the game day experience.

UofL was all about hip and flashy and I think there can be too much of it.

I enjoy the marching bands, cheer squads, the colors of the people in a full stadium, and fans who know the rules and schematics of the game.

I don't care for fluorescent lights on a Harley Davidson either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT