ADVERTISEMENT

Geronimo

HoosierAlum07

Junior
Dec 30, 2013
Is it me or does JG not like it at IU? Sure he wasnt part of the idiot 5, but he seems on tv to get upset alot and yells at his teammates or theyre yelling at him after a bad possession!

He seems to be out of position a lot on defense and I saw a few instances where he looked lost on offense! There were a few possessions where he went to set a screen to the ballhandler and another IU player was doing the same which led to shot clock running down and a bad shot because they were in each others way!

Love the kid and his potential, and I think CMW is trying to help him as much as possible, but I just think JG looks way too disgruntled and not happy here! I hope Im wrong and he comes back next year, but by the way things are going, he may be thinkn about the portal!

Is it me or does JG not like it at IU? Sure he wasnt part of the idiot 5, but he seems on tv to get upset alot and yells at his teammates or theyre yelling at him after a bad possession!

He seems to be out of position a lot on defense and I saw a few instances where he looked lost on offense! There were a few possessions where he went to set a screen to the ballhandler and another IU player was doing the same which led to shot clock running down and a bad shot because they were in each others way!

Love the kid and his potential, and I think CMW is trying to help him as much as possible, but I just think JG looks way too disgruntled and not happy here! I hope Im wrong and he comes back next year, but by the way things are going, he may be thinkn about the portal!
I haven’t noticed body language indicating discontent. Seems like a kid that works hard but needs more opportunities to gain experience and just learn. I see no reason he wouldn’t be back. He is a good fit for what Woody is looking for.

It's just you.

I see an athletic kid with some skills and to quote Tom Coverdale, "has some FU to his game." I see a kid who competes hard consistently, and a kid who hates to lose. I see a kid who has the physical ability to become a star, if handled correctly. In other words, I do not share your perspective. I think we need more kids like Geronimo.

JG is definitely on a developmental path. What you are seeing is I think is his own frustration with himself frequently for not being able to do better and be more consistent.

I think he's progressed and there have been games where he has been very close to breakthroughs. But, he is still limited. Ball handling skills, lack of a variety of moves in the paint (could learn from how Race developed or better yet find some way to get a tutorial from Juwann Morgan) and defensively he is still learning how to execute better (positioning and switching). he needs more experience and probably some more individual experience and work. Without improving his game transferring does nothing for him. If he works hard in the off season i suspect he gets a lot more minutes next season - just too athletically gifted.

JG is definitely on a developmental path. What you are seeing is I think is his own frustration with himself frequently for not being able to do better and be more consistent.

I think he's progressed and there have been games where he has been very close to breakthroughs. But, he is still limited. Ball handling skills, lack of a variety of moves in the paint (could learn from how Race developed or better yet find some way to get a tutorial from Juwann Morgan) and defensively he is still learning how to execute better (positioning and switching). he needs more experience and probably some more individual experience and work. Without improving his game transferring does nothing for him. If he works hard in the off season i suspect he gets a lot more minutes next season - just too athletically gifted.
Speaking of which, I know if I were the coach at IU, I'd try and arrange an "alumni training camp" during the summer and try and get alumni, especially those still playing, back on campus for a week and try and have workouts and pickup games. I know many former players have said they didn't feel welcome around our program with the last couple coaches and what a shame. I'd really try and encourage past players to come back and work out if still playing, and schedule a dinner and golf outing for those who aren't. What NCAA violations am I suggesting, or is it OK if you had non-mandatory"open gym" for alumni and limited coaches present? Can't imagine any current players would miss the chance to play against and workout with pros and former players. And if they did, well, that might tell the coaches something too!

One of the things I've always respected about UNC is how they promote the "Carolina Way" and get lots of support from past players. I think their former players see it as part of their duty to pass the baton and support current players.

Have you been groomed here on facial expressions?

Don't agree at all. He does obviously get personally distraught with his poor decisions on the floor. Really makes me wonder how good of coaching he received up in the NE before getting to Bloomington. Another off season and he'll be producing positive floor decisions.

Speaking of which, I know if I were the coach at IU, I'd try and arrange an "alumni training camp" during the summer and try and get alumni, especially those still playing, back on campus for a week and try and have workouts and pickup games. I know many former players have said they didn't feel welcome around our program with the last couple coaches and what a shame. I'd really try and encourage past players to come back and work out if still playing, and schedule a dinner and golf outing for those who aren't. What NCAA violations am I suggesting, or is it OK if you had non-mandatory"open gym" for alumni and limited coaches present? Can't imagine any current players would miss the chance to play against and workout with pros and former players. And if they did, well, that might tell the coaches something too!

One of the things I've always respected about UNC is how they promote the "Carolina Way" and get lots of support from past players. I think their former players see it as part of their duty to pass the baton and support current players.
We all know the INDIANA Way is way older, was better established than anything outside the state when Bobby was here and until Fife, Moye, Odle and the other boys graduated. I'm with kkott Coach Woodson is the man to make it happen again. He'd have the full support of Dolson, Matta as Fife would be a big proponent of any and all INDIANA Way events. Go HOOSIERS!

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT