ADVERTISEMENT

Georgetown job may be available - losing Marshall at risk

Let 'er Fly

Junior
Feb 12, 2005
I think this is a very legit concern. I think JTIII is out at GTown. Sure, it's not the GTown of old or the BEast of old, but this will be a coveted job. And, Marshall is from VA. Outside of UNC, Georgetown may be the most high profile basketball job near where Marshall is from.

If IU is slow to act we will lose out. Someone will have to pay.

I think this is a very legit concern. I think JTIII is out at GTown. Sure, it's not the GTown of old or the BEast of old, but this will be a coveted job. And, Marshall is from VA. Outside of UNC, Georgetown may be the most high profile basketball job near where Marshall is from.

If IU is slow to act we will lose out. Someone will have to pay.

You think Gregg Marshall is IU's to lose?

I think you're wrong on two counts . . . (1) I don't think Marshall is IU's best choice, and (2) I'm not all that comfortable with the idea that Marshall's first choice would be IU.

You think Gregg Marshall is IU's to lose?

I think you're wrong on two counts . . . (1) I don't think Marshall is IU's best choice, and (2) I'm not all that comfortable with the idea that Marshall's first choice would be IU.
Marshall would much more likely end up at NC State than Georgetown...imo. I think his coaching history, particularly at Winthrop points in that direction if southeasterly. I am a Winthrop grad.....and the demographics (recruiting and culturally) is much closer to NC State than GTown. He knows the landscape very, very well.

Marshall would much more likely end up at NC State than Georgetown...imo. I think his coaching history, particularly at Winthrop points in that direction if southeasterly. I am a Winthrop grad.....and the demographics (recruiting and culturally) is much closer to NC State than GTown. He knows the landscape very, very well.

That makes sense. When he was kicking arse at Winthrop I was thinking he'd be an up and comer for IU to keep track of. Would that have been the case when RMK left . . . .

I believe Georgetown's success was a function of academic cheating that was engineered under John Thompson. Two words: Alan Iverson. Ewing was not a student. Same with thug Michael Graham. Those names that jump out 25+ years later.

Georgetown is a very good school. How those guys were even accepted is a mystery. I don't see Georgetown making a comeback. Tough coaching job.

Reactions: pumpfake
"The news was not taken well in his hometown. Ewing had not even enrolled at Georgetown when articles appeared in the Boston Globe suggesting that Ewing would be academically deficient. Jilted Boston University coach Rick Pitino went so far as to say Ewing couldn't even have been accepted at BU, and a shadow was cast on Ewing the moment he arrived at Georgetown."

No need responding to me. I have blocked you.

Reactions: pdtkkg
"The news was not taken well in his hometown. Ewing had not even enrolled at Georgetown when articles appeared in the Boston Globe suggesting that Ewing would be academically deficient. Jilted Boston University coach Rick Pitino went so far as to say Ewing couldn't even have been accepted at BU, and a shadow was cast on Ewing the moment he arrived at Georgetown."

No need responding to me. I have blocked you.

I don't care whether you've blocked me, because if you think you're the audience for my responses to you then you're as stupid as your posts suggest.

Your response to me is supposedly a quote, but you offered it without attribution. It certainly doesn't appear in the article I linked.

And as further proof of your idiocy I'll quote the article I linked to establish that in fact Ewing was a student:

"Today, he proved those skeptics wrong by obtaining his bachelor of arts degree, majoring in fine arts."

It takes a student to get a degree. But then I'm gonna guess you don't know that, at least not from personal experience anyway.

Reactions: Lucy01
I don't care whether you've blocked me, because if you think you're the audience for my responses to you then you're as stupid as your posts suggest.

Your response to me is supposedly a quote, but you offered it without attribution. It certainly doesn't appear in the article I linked.

And as further proof of your idiocy I'll quote the article I linked to establish that in fact Ewing was a student:

"Today, he proved those skeptics wrong by obtaining his bachelor of arts degree, majoring in fine arts."

It takes a student to get a degree. But then I'm gonna guess you don't know that, at least not from personal experience anyway.
"It takes a student to get a degree"......I agree with this....However, there are exceptions. What is going on at UNC has cast some doubt upon that conventional thinking. Those particular degrees are surely questionable.

"It takes a student to get a degree"......I agree with this....However, there are exceptions. What is going on at UNC has cast some doubt upon that conventional thinking. Those particular degrees are surely questionable.

A couple of things. First, I have a friend who is a fine attorney and who was one of the student tutors for the UNC program under Dean Smith, and she tells me things were legitimate back in those days. What's happened since then, I have no clue.

Second, is there ANYTHING to suggest that what may have - perhaps even likely - occurred at UNC has anything to do with Ewing getting a degree? So far as I can tell, there is nothing in the record to suggest that.

Besides that, the guy has had a respectable career as an NBA assistant. Nobody does that by being 7 feet tall.

Reactions: pdtkkg
I'm not nearly as high on Marshall as some on here. I could name about 6 guys I'd want before him

Reactions: 47404
I'm not nearly as high on Marshall as some on here. I could name about 6 guys I'd want before him

Now, I agree. 15 years ago would have been the time to take a long look at him.

IU oughta be looking for someone today like Marshall was 20 years ago . . . .

A couple of things. First, I have a friend who is a fine attorney and who was one of the student tutors for the UNC program under Dean Smith, and she tells me things were legitimate back in those days. What's happened since then, I have no clue.

Second, is there ANYTHING to suggest that what may - perhaps even likely - occurred at UNC has anything to do with Ewing getting a degree? So far as I can tell, there is nothing in the record to suggest that.

Besides that, the guy has had a respectable career as an NBA assistant. Nobody does that by being 7 feet tall.
Didn't link Ewing to UNC....but rather getting a degree means that it was earned. That is largely true, and should be....I pointed out that it isn't absolutely true.

Absolutely, I have an "earned" degree.
Glad to hear it . . . congratulations!

By all accounts I've seen, Ewing does too, so maybe that ought get a congrats from this crowd too, instead of insinuations of misconduct.
I may have hijacked the "earning a degree" discussion.....as UNC's situation remains out there, unresolved....and moved to the forefront of my thinking almost immediately. Didn't mean to make a connection to Ewing....

Reactions: Sope Creek
Not a Hoosier fan, but my view from afar.

Marshall will be Crean expensive and not a good fit for IU. He does not like to be questioned on his coaching or program. I actuall do think Marshall would fit in nicely in DC and the watered down BE.

IU fans should consider sitting B6 coaches that are not available. Blue Bloods with deep pockets can make that happen.

Someone sell me on why he'd still come to begin with. What incentives are there really besides the money? I mean, how much is Marshall already making over there at Ws, and would Iu really even pony up that much more of an absurd amount, just to get a 'Marshall' to begin with... for what lets be honest, would just be a ' try out session for coach ' .AND , later be demanded (esp after a 9 year hiatus) to maintain a squeaky clean w-l record year after year un the b1g or be fired....When he can just stay in a place hes already proven he can maintain with less worry and great leeway id imagine

The mods on this board suck. They let 82hoosier's post accusing John Thompson of cheating and basically accusing Patrick Ewing of academic fraud stand while deleting my response calling out 82hooiser out.

Rivals needs to clean house of the idiots running this board.

His teams have went to 6 straight NCAA's. They have won 30+ games 4 out of the last 5 years. His teams play great defense with toughness and they share the ball on offense and take care of the ball. He can flat out coach.

His teams have went to 6 straight NCAA's. They have won 30+ games 4 out of the last 5 years. His teams play great defense with toughness and they share the ball on offense and take care of the ball. He can flat out coach.

Yep, and he deserves a shot at doing that in a Power 5 conference . . . but which one?

Also . . . how old is he? Would he be at IU 20 years? 15?

Someone sell me on why he'd still come to begin with. What incentives are there really besides the money? I mean, how much is Marshall already making over there at Ws, and would Iu really even pony up that much more of an absurd amount, just to get a 'Marshall' to begin with... for what lets be honest, would just be a ' try out session for coach ' .AND , later be demanded (esp after a 9 year hiatus) to maintain a squeaky clean w-l record year after year un the b1g or be fired....When he can just stay in a place hes already proven he can maintain with less worry and great leeway id imagine

Off hand I would say he would be in a league that is not a 1 sometimes 2bid league. His ability to recruit better players (although he has landed some good ones at WSU). I real chance to win a NC at an elite basketball school (historically, definitely not now). He has made some runs but like Gonazaga, I just don't see it happening at a school like WSU. The money would be a little better but these guys are looking at winning it all, not the paycheck because they know the money will come as they succeed. I think Marshall would be a great fit at Indiana. I have been watching his WS teams for a while now and I think they are fun to watch. Would prefer Donovon but it that is not an option, he would be on the short list (2-3 guys) that follows.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Off hand I would say he would be in a league that is not a 1 sometimes 2bid league. His ability to recruit better players (although he has landed some good ones at WSU). I real chance to win a NC at an elite basketball school (historically, definitely not now). He has made some runs but like Gonazaga, I just don't see it happening at a school like WSU. The money would be a little better but these guys are looking at winning it all, not the paycheck because they know the money will come as they succeed. I think Marshall would be a great fit at Indiana. I have been watching his WS teams for a while now and I think they are fun to watch. Would prefer Donovon but it that is not an option, he would be on the short list (2-3 guys) that follows.

What is different about Marshall's opportunities to win NCs at WSU from Jay Wright's opportunities to win NCs at Villanova?

What is different about Marshall's opportunities to win NCs at WSU from Jay Wright's opportunities to win NCs at Villanova?
Big east is a much better conference, Villanova is in a much better recruiting area, has much better academics, and is the more recognizable brand name...off the top of my head

Reactions: FL33
Big east is a much better conference, Villanova is in a much better recruiting area, has much better academics, and is the more recognizable brand name...off the top of my head
And that had won a title so some history. Not sure how people don't realize how much more name recognition Villanova has compared to WSU. Rollie Massameno put them on the map in the 80's

Name them. Marshall wins every single year. The only case against him would be to say that he couldn't recruit a higher level player at Indiana, but that is exactly what would fall into his lap. He'd be a great fit and would hit the ground running.

I don't think Marshall is a money driven guy. Seems he is not. But he is also getting paid an amount at WSU that shows tremendous loyalty and appreciation for what he has done there. I think only a very good fit could potentially pry him away.

I've been trying to figure out if his kids are all off to college now or what, because if they aren't, that could be an issue.

I really think Bloomington and southern Indiana would really appeal to Marshall's family. It is just a guess- but he seems like sort of the type of "folks" that might really feel welcomed there.

The entire appeal would be the richness of the basketball in Indiana and the chance to win big big big. How many times can you play a top seed in round 2 or 3 and not wonder what might happen if you could get a little respect from the committee for winning 28 games.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT