ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Bowl: Final Thoughts

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Hoosier Football Blog | January 2, 2019

The 2020 Gator Bowl is easily the biggest game for Indiana football in a long time. One of the goals for this 2019 team at the beginning of the year was not just to play in a Bowl game but to win it. Winning a game in January in Florida would be huge for a program looking to take that next step.

Players to Watch
Mel Kiper lists Darrell Taylor (6-4, 255) as the 8th best Outside Linebacker prospect for this year’s draft. Todd McShay recently said that Taylor will be the best player on the field during the Gator Bowl, noting he is currently a 3rd or 4th rounder with the potential to move up.

Watch here

Kiper also lists Tennessee’s Junior Trey Smith (6-6, 325) as the 7th best Guard in the 2020 NFL draft. The Vols have found success running the ball behind Smith, which hasn’t necessarily been the case for other designed run schemes for other inside gaps. Smith is a good story because he has overcome blood clots in his lungs and there was a time when it looked as if he might not ever play again.

Indiana Sophomore Peyton Hendershot (6-4, 255) needs just 10 yards to become surpass the mark set for most yards in a single season by a Hoosier Tight End.

Hendershot comes into tonight’s game with 46 grabs for 555 yards and 4 touchdowns. He is currently second on the team in terms of catches and yardage and third on the team in TDs.

Injuries
As of now we still don’t know if Sophomore Running Back Stevie Scott and Fifth Year Senior Simon Stepaniak will play. Scott suffered an unknown injury during the Bucket game in West Lafayette and Stepaniak was hurt during practice this week in Jacksonville.

Against a talented roster like Tennessee’s having both guys available and ready to go would be a big help.

Bragging Rights
Indiana is playing in the Big Ten’s final Bowl game. So far the Conference is 4-4 overall and a win would give the league a winning record. The Big Ten is also 1-1 vs the SEC so bragging rights are at stake there too. It’s always nice to bring the SEC down a notch or two.

Prediction
I am watching two things in this game above all else. Firstly, can Indiana keep Tennessee from creating big plays in the passing game. I am concerned there is a formula for beating the Indiana secondary that can be gleaned from the Michigan and Purdue film. If Marquez Callaway breaks loose and has a big day it could spell trouble for IU.

Secondly I will be paying close attention to energy and body language. I think this is a fairly even match-up so it may come down to simply who wants it more.

That being the case I do believe the Hoosiers are the hungrier team with more to prove. Tennessee will make some big plays and Indiana may have some breakdowns, but in the end I think they battle hard and find a way to win a very close one.

Indiana 30 Tennessee 28

Indiana wins its first Bowl Game since 1991 and #9windiana becomes a reality.

Originally published here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT