ADVERTISEMENT

Game one attendance

Getting students to come to the game increases attendance and builds loyalty over the years. It also fires up the crowd with people that are enthusiastic about IUFB.
And the bars don't get fired up until 11, so they will stay for three quarters.

DING

Last edited:
I suspect that a big part of the renewal ( and even additional new sales) is folks grabbing additional priority points in anticipation of a good basketball team. In spite of increasing my overall athletic and other giving, I got kicked up two rows last year. I watched in frustration as my old seats sat empty for two games last season, and were occupied by visiting fans for three others. I'm pretty sure that whoever slipped into the queue ahead of me in the seat lottery had no intention of actually attending games. This year I had to move over one section to avoid moving up another four rows. I highly doubt that last season's debacle inspired additional season ticket sales.

Accordingly, this will likely be my last as a season ticket holder after 20 consecutive years. Instead of spending my money on a VC contribution, season tickets (for both football and women's bball), parking pass concessions, gas, meals in Bloomington, and other IU donations, I will keep my money in my pocket. I can use it for stub-hub or other resellers for better seats than I now have for the games I really want to see in person. I won't feel obligated to go watch games in bad weather, or against weak OOC opponents. The last two years I have felt more like a chump on seat selection day than a valued fan. That TV money that IU seems to desire more than "butts-in-seats" can work for me instead of against me. Every game on the big screen in the comfort of my own living room. In addition, I can turn the tube off and do something enjoyable instead of enduring those ass-kickings in person. They can add my seats to the surplus of those already unoccupied to accommodate more of the "basketball-only" crowd.
If they get enough people buying football tix for the basketball priority points, I’ve heard that might move MBB up from 9th place to 6th place in the final regular season.

I have to believe there are a number of season ticket holders who would be fine with not having a couple of the OOC gimme games not be part of their package. Those tickets could be sold at a deep discount to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to attend. It might be an overall revenue loss, but it would fill seats that otherwise go empty and help build interest and fan loyalty.
I don't get this at all. You can get tickets right now on StubHub for the following prices:
Illinois $21
Idaho $8
Western Kentucky $15
Maryland $17

I go to every game we play, everywhere we play them, and I very rarely pay more than $60 per ticket - anywhere. Although, Cincinnati will be an exception this year. I also sit between the 30's and usually better than that. I've been doing it since I was a kid. I give away an extra season ticket outside of the stadium at about half the games. You could probably get single tickets for $5 and just sit in a corner. It's really just how much you want to go at the end of the day.

Last edited:
"win games and people will buy more tickets" is a useless statement Mr Obvious, and i'm sick of the idiocracy that constantly spews that blather on discussions regarding attendance.

when your son asks for advice with girls, do you answer with "be tall, good looking, and rich", because that obviously works too.

when i hear that IU hasn't invested in fball over the yrs, it's in building attendance that IU has totally failed the fb program, not brick and mortar or coaches.

how great for the administration to have ridiculous paying jobs, where they don't have to generate so much as 1 cent that isn't already guaranteed to them, or put 1 extra person in the stands.

the administration is flat out lazy and spoiled beyond belief with zero motivation, has been for decades, and it's definitely hurt the fball program, since attendance and game day atmosphere matters far more in recruiting than good facilities, which literally all major programs have.

no recruit is swayed by a nicer locker.

many are swayed by a full house.

we could greatly increase attendance.

we don't, because the administration doesn't even try, and couldn't care less.

and if the donor class really wanted to help the program, putting pressure on the administration to get off their lazy asses and put some actual effort into building a base other than with the "hope for a miracle" strategy, work with the administration to fund free tickets for IU students, and a $1 general admission Knot Hole Section again for kids/$5-10 for accompanying adults, instead of just funding brick and mortar which we flat out don't need any more of, or just NIL.
When I was a freshman (way back in the late 90's), every student that lived in the dorms got a "free" ticket to every home game. I went to one. Yeah, yeah...sucky fan but we lost almost every game that year.

At a certain point you have to win. All the gimmicks in the world will not put people in the stands. We had some excitement going early last year and ended up "same old IU". That is what you have to overcome and that is really hard.

International students account for about 6,000 students at IU. As a new requirement to get them fully “cultured” in American sports, they are now required to attend (scan their ID) at all home football games to earn full academic credit.

….at least under my new guidelines. If you can’t coax attendence, you force it.
Wow.

• Wow
Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT