ADVERTISEMENT

Game one attendance

It'll be 3/4 full at kick off...less so 2nd half.

We basically never sell out unless the opposing team brings 10K plus fans. OSU, Michigan namely.

Even bucket games, most years, the stands aren't completely full.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Going to even a single game is a *significant* expense for a *lot* of people.

Nobody on *this* site, mind you.

It is. $100 a head when it's all said and done is tough for most people. Before I retired I got comped tickets and parking passes for a handful of low interest games from a vendor I dealt with. But those are no longer available to me.

You can get $30 tix (youth tix even cheaper) in the NEZ for most games. $20 for Idaho.

I know you can do it on the cheap if you're willing/able to hoof it and sit in shitty seats and not eat or drink anything...

How do you figure? Especially basketball. Nearly everyone is a season ticket holder. We’re shelling out a few thousand for basketball and several hundred for football.
Because I know too many people, firmly entrenched middle class IU fans who attend more than 1 or 2 events a year. They plan ahead, make it a goal, a destination. Make it a special entertainment treat they budget for. Plan your work, work your plan.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
It is. $100 a head when it's all said and done is tough for most people. Before I retired I got comped tickets and parking passes for a handful of low interest games from a vendor I dealt with. But those are no longer available to me.
I’m hardly rich but whatever. I doubt $4 gas hinders anybody posting on this site. That was the question. I’ve been all around this summer when gas was $5 and everything was packed. If $5 gas is a detriment, I sure ain’t seeing it.

I’m hardly rich but whatever. I doubt $4 gas hinders anybody posting on this site. That was the question. I’ve been all around this summer when gas was $5 and everything was packed. If $5 gas is a detriment, I sure ain’t seeing it.
Agreed. Gas prices are a small consideration.

Love it.

Going to even a single game is a *significant* expense for a *lot* of people.

Nobody on *this* site, mind you.
It is a significant expense for a *lot* of people I know and for me as a member of this board. I wish the well to do would understand the expense for some of us. Maybe push to have two tier pricing so some that can't afford parking and ticket prices could choose tickets that allow them to come to games.

Reactions: 76-1 and Radio Zero
It is a significant expense for a *lot* of people I know and for me as a member of this board. I wish the well to do would understand the expense for some of us. Maybe push to have two tier pricing so some that can't afford parking and ticket prices could choose tickets that allow them to come to games.

I have to believe there are a number of season ticket holders who would be fine with not having a couple of the OOC gimme games not be part of their package. Those tickets could be sold at a deep discount to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to attend. It might be an overall revenue loss, but it would fill seats that otherwise go empty and help build interest and fan loyalty.

I have to believe there are a number of season ticket holders who would be fine with not having a couple of the OOC gimme games not be part of their package. Those tickets could be sold at a deep discount to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to attend. It might be an overall revenue loss, but it would fill seats that otherwise go empty and help build interest and fan loyalty.
Good thought. Tough situation. You either need to means test somehow or have grassroots programs identifying IU fans in varying locales who could use the perk.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Interesting thought. What do you consider to be a “deep discount?” Face value this year for center sections lower seats is $53, $60 with cushioned seatbacks.

Sometimes it seems like we lead the BT in excuses for why attendance isn’t better (game is too early, too late, Friday is not good, noon is too early for students, traffic, holiday weekend, too hot/cold/wet, high school football etc etc) and now gas prices are thrown into the mix.
Evansville to Bloomington is 240 miles round trip, as an example, which would require roughly 10 gallons of gas. So 10 gallons of $4.00 gas for the trip would cost a grand total of $15 more than $2.50 gas in the past. Will $15 deter a family of four that was already going to drive, buy tickets, pay for parking, get food and drink and possibly a hotel room, from going to the game? Doubt it, but if $15 is a deciding factor they probably shouldn’t have contemplated going to the game in the first place.

It was good (exciting/thrilling) to see the electricity in the stadium early last season when there was hype/hope we would be a top 20 team. It reinforced that we can draw decent crowds if the team is good. Winning cures all (almost all).

Interesting thought. What do you consider to be a “deep discount?” Face value this year for center sections lower seats is $53, $60 with cushioned seatbacks.

How 'bout they make a statement. Take one of the throwaway games out of the season ticket package, and sell the seats for ten bucks with free parking. Pack the stadium for Idaho.

Ticket prices have little to do with people coming. The NFL has become outrageous. Even the crappy teams sell out at a high price point.

The basketball team continues to raise prices yet every game is a “sell out” with students. They’re up to $50 a game I believe.

Sometimes it seems like we lead the BT in excuses for why attendance isn’t better (game is too early, too late, Friday is not good, noon is too early for students, traffic, holiday weekend, too hot/cold/wet, high school football etc etc) and now gas prices are thrown into the mix.
Evansville to Bloomington is 240 miles round trip, as an example, which would require roughly 10 gallons of gas. So 10 gallons of $4.00 gas for the trip would cost a grand total of $15 more than $2.50 gas in the past. Will $15 deter a family of four that was already going to drive, buy tickets, pay for parking, get food and drink and possibly a hotel room, from going to the game? Doubt it, but if $15 is a deciding factor they probably shouldn’t have contemplated going to the game in the first place.

It was good (exciting/thrilling) to see the electricity in the stadium early last season when there was hype/hope we would be a top 20 team. It reinforced that we can draw decent crowds if the team is good. Winning cures all (almost all).
Travel, date, and game times have little to do with attendance issues as outside of bad weather games there are more than enough people in the half mile square to fill the stadium. Win games and people buy more tickets and come in.

Reactions: grammy2
Ticket prices have little to do with people coming. The NFL has become outrageous. Even the crappy teams sell out at a high price point.

The basketball team continues to raise prices yet every game is a “sell out” with students. They’re up to $50 a game I believe.
The Browns sell out every game, every year. Why? Because they are a dedicated and loyal (to a fault) fan base.

Comparing BB to football isn’t fair either. AH holds what? 17,000?

Students??
I have no idea what theirs cost now. I’m just saying our season tickets are roughly $50 a game.

After searching it looks like IU forces you to get football/basketball as a combo. $425 for 7 football games and “up to” 16 basketball games

I have no idea what theirs cost now. I’m just saying our season tickets are roughly $50 a game.

After searching it looks like IU forces you to get football/basketball as a combo. $425 for 7 football games and “up to” 16 basketball games
Cool, I didn't think you meant student FB tix were $50

Travel, date, and game times have little to do with attendance issues as outside of bad weather games there are more than enough people in the half mile square to fill the stadium. Win games and people buy more tickets and come in.

"win games and people will buy more tickets" is a useless statement Mr Obvious, and i'm sick of the idiocracy that constantly spews that blather on discussions regarding attendance.

when your son asks for advice with girls, do you answer with "be tall, good looking, and rich", because that obviously works too.

when i hear that IU hasn't invested in fball over the yrs, it's in building attendance that IU has totally failed the fb program, not brick and mortar or coaches.

how great for the administration to have ridiculous paying jobs, where they don't have to generate so much as 1 cent that isn't already guaranteed to them, or put 1 extra person in the stands.

the administration is flat out lazy and spoiled beyond belief with zero motivation, has been for decades, and it's definitely hurt the fball program, since attendance and game day atmosphere matters far more in recruiting than good facilities, which literally all major programs have.

no recruit is swayed by a nicer locker.

many are swayed by a full house.

we could greatly increase attendance.

we don't, because the administration doesn't even try, and couldn't care less.

and if the donor class really wanted to help the program, putting pressure on the administration to get off their lazy asses and put some actual effort into building a base other than with the "hope for a miracle" strategy, work with the administration to fund free tickets for IU students, and a $1 general admission Knot Hole Section again for kids/$5-10 for accompanying adults, instead of just funding brick and mortar which we flat out don't need any more of, or just NIL.

"win games and people will buy more tickets" is a useless statement Mr Obvious, and i'm sick of the idiocracy that constantly spews that blather on discussions regarding attendance.

when your son asks for advice with girls, do you answer with "be tall, good looking, and rich", because that obviously works too.

when i hear that IU hasn't invested in fball over the yrs, it's in building attendance that IU has totally failed the fb program, not brick and mortar or coaches.

how great for the administration to have ridiculous paying jobs, where they don't have to generate so much as 1 cent that isn't already guaranteed to them, or put 1 extra person in the stands.

the administration is flat out lazy and spoiled beyond belief with zero motivation, has been for decades, and it's definitely hurt the fball program, since attendance and game day atmosphere matters far more in recruiting than good facilities, which literally all major programs have.

no recruit is swayed by a nicer locker.

many are swayed by a full house.

we could greatly increase attendance.

we don't, because the administration doesn't even try, and couldn't care less.

and if the donor class really wanted to help the program, putting pressure on the administration to get off their lazy asses and put some actual effort into building a base other than with the "hope for a miracle" strategy, work with the administration to fund free tickets for IU students, and a $1 general admission Knot Hole Section again for kids/$5-10 for accompanying adults, instead of just funding brick and mortar which we flat out don't need any more of, or just NIL.
Win and stadiums tend to fill up. Basic basic

Reactions: muubell and DCDAVID
IU football doesn't have the most fans but we have the best fans. Season ticket renewal of 98%, after last year's debacle, is extraordinary. Any increase in student ticket sales, even at just 10%, is welcome and encouraging. A crowd in the low 40,000s Friday night, under the new lights, will look good on FS1. Go Hoosiers!
Definitely. And actually, the Idaho, WKU, and UM games are selling pretty well at the moment. Students showing up makes a huge difference and makes it look better.

International students account for about 6,000 students at IU. As a new requirement to get them fully “cultured” in American sports, they are now required to attend (scan their ID) at all home football games to earn full academic credit.

….at least under my new guidelines. If you can’t coax attendence, you force it.

IU football doesn't have the most fans but we have the best fans. Season ticket renewal of 98%, after last year's debacle, is extraordinary. Any increase in student ticket sales, even at just 10%, is welcome and encouraging. A crowd in the low 40,000s Friday night, under the new lights, will look good on FS1. Go Hoosiers!
I suspect that a big part of the renewal ( and even additional new sales) is folks grabbing additional priority points in anticipation of a good basketball team. In spite of increasing my overall athletic and other giving, I got kicked up two rows last year. I watched in frustration as my old seats sat empty for two games last season, and were occupied by visiting fans for three others. I'm pretty sure that whoever slipped into the queue ahead of me in the seat lottery had no intention of actually attending games. This year I had to move over one section to avoid moving up another four rows. I highly doubt that last season's debacle inspired additional season ticket sales.

Accordingly, this will likely be my last as a season ticket holder after 20 consecutive years. Instead of spending my money on a VC contribution, season tickets (for both football and women's bball), parking pass concessions, gas, meals in Bloomington, and other IU donations, I will keep my money in my pocket. I can use it for stub-hub or other resellers for better seats than I now have for the games I really want to see in person. I won't feel obligated to go watch games in bad weather, or against weak OOC opponents. The last two years I have felt more like a chump on seat selection day than a valued fan. That TV money that IU seems to desire more than "butts-in-seats" can work for me instead of against me. Every game on the big screen in the comfort of my own living room. In addition, I can turn the tube off and do something enjoyable instead of enduring those ass-kickings in person. They can add my seats to the surplus of those already unoccupied to accommodate more of the "basketball-only" crowd.

I suspect that a big part of the renewal ( and even additional new sales) is folks grabbing additional priority points in anticipation of a good basketball team. In spite of increasing my overall athletic and other giving, I got kicked up two rows last year. I watched in frustration as my old seats sat empty for two games last season, and were occupied by visiting fans for three others. I'm pretty sure that whoever slipped into the queue ahead of me in the seat lottery had no intention of actually attending games. This year I had to move over one section to avoid moving up another four rows. I highly doubt that last season's debacle inspired additional season ticket sales.

Accordingly, this will likely be my last as a season ticket holder after 20 consecutive years. Instead of spending my money on a VC contribution, season tickets (for both football and women's bball), parking pass concessions, gas, meals in Bloomington, and other IU donations, I will keep my money in my pocket. I can use it for stub-hub or other resellers for better seats than I now have for the games I really want to see in person. I won't feel obligated to go watch games in bad weather, or against weak OOC opponents. The last two years I have felt more like a chump on seat selection day than a valued fan. That TV money that IU seems to desire more than "butts-in-seats" can work for me instead of against me. Every game on the big screen in the comfort of my own living room. In addition, I can turn the tube off and do something enjoyable instead of enduring those ass-kickings in person. They can add my seats to the surplus of those already unoccupied to accommodate more of the "basketball-only" crowd.
Jesus, man.

98% renewal after last year 2-10...which was up because of 2020.

I would not have anticipated that.

98% renewal after last year 2-10...which was up because of 2020.

I would not have anticipated that.
98% like the guy who has two seats next to mine, never
attends a game just uses the purchase for more points
to get better basketball seats. I would like to kick him
in the NETS, but the extra room is nice.

98% like the guy who has two seats next to mine, never
attends a game just uses the purchase for more points
to get better basketball seats. I would like to kick him
in the NETS, but the extra room is nice.
Have never understood the “I’ll buy football tickets to Jack up my points” approach, especially if you aren’t going to attend games. At the very least, call the Boys Club or put it in the church newsletter . . . some grateful person(s) will gladly use them.

This is what I'm talking about. A guy's got season tickets and he's feeling that he's being short-changed and his seat selection is getting worse and worse and he's tired of shelling out bucks to watch a crappy product. And basically he's being told to f*** off.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT