ADVERTISEMENT

For the Younger Fans

I have mixed feelings about this. Initially I go back to that old maxim from my football days (before spiking was a penalty). That is if you are fortunate enough to reach the end zone, act like you have been there before. I was on campus from 1974-1977, and saw the height of the Bob Knight era. I don't remember anyone rushing the court following a victory at Assembly Hall.

Here is what I see as being different. My generation was raised with parents who instilled discipline from a young age. They set the limits and you knew the consequences if you pushed the envelope too far. Same in school. If you were sent to the Principal's office, chances are you would have an encounter with the "Board of Education". If you went home and complained to Mom and Dad about how you were abused at school, they would laugh at you, and probably inflict discipline of their own. When we got to college, we understood that the people in charge set the rules and you followed them. If you were told not go on the Court and there were security guards around the Court, you knew that if you made it onto the Court, you would be tackled, subdued and probably charged with trespass.

With today's generation, there are no absolute rules. These are merely suggestions for conduct.if they violate one of these there are no consequences. Dean Wormer simply puts them on double secret probation. If someone in School tries to discipline them, they take it home to the parents, and Mom and Dad show at school the next day with their Lawyer to remind the School District of how expensive it will be to go through litigation. If they are offended by anything, they complain loud and long and expect someone to correct the problem for them.

While I don't condone the behavior of rushing the Court, I understand how this generation may think this is acceptable behavior. And last of all, Get off my grass whippersnapper.
I was on campus just before you were. Let me remind you there was plenty of other "rushing". Towards administration buildings by large crowds of students during protests , (even closing them down) towards busloads of campus police dispatched to control large crowds of unruly protesters, towards girls dorms during panty raids, even crowds of drunken students rushing Bloomingtons town square after a pep rally when we were going to the final four. Yeah we recognized that people in charge set the rules, right. Not to say it was right. Maybe you were in the library and missed that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
I was right behind you. Three years. 1980-84. I was on campus for two big championships and a national. Two soccer nationals and a professional party rating from playboy.Those were great times for me but not for everyone.
Regarding authority figures there was a time when they were trusted to make decisions for the benefit of others not just themselves.
Things are very different now. The Information Age has enlightened those with open minds and isolated those with closed minds. Authorities have proven they can be trusted to benefit themselves and those who buy their services.
Children today are much more informed and have many more choices both positive and negative. Regardless of what they chose many are waiting to cash in on their successes and failures.
Perspective is important.
I’m just thrilled students still value Indiana and its sports teams. They haven’t experienced much success. I hope they do in their life as we have in ours.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ufo33 and TR32
It's not as bad as the fact that no one sits in the balcony anymore. That is an embarrassment to IU's tradition.
Judging by the number of empty seats in the balcony and the
empty seats in several rows at the top of the main level
many people decided to rush somewhere other than
the game and the floor at the end of the game.

Don’t blame the kids. Blame the incompetence of the leadership for the dumpster fire these kids have had to endure for the past 3 years.

Much longer than 3 years.
True. But I don’t think it’s ever been THIS bad.

Imagine being a Junior and you’ve never seen a tournament game. And you’ve had to watch Crean and Archie coach this entire time....two complete clowns. It’s sad.

Imagine being a Junior and you’ve never seen a tournament game. And you’ve had to watch Crean and Archie coach this entire time....two complete clowns. It’s sad.
You're a liar, and will be called out as a liar until you man up and admit you're a low life POS.

Now, ESAD, Gimp. Slowly, and painfully ..

Reactions: Rakkasan29

Nobody who knows anything about coaching would put Archie in the same category as Crean. But since you don't know a fking thing about coaching, it isn't surprising that you did. There are a lot of idiots who regularly post on this forum. Not one of them comes close to reaching your level of pompous stupidity.

You're a liar, and will be called out as a liar until you man up and admit you're a low life POS.

Now, ESAD, Gimp. Slowly, and painfully ..
I’m losing my patience in teaching you. If you’re not willing to learn I’m going to stop giving you lessons.

Nobody who knows anything about coaching would put Archie in the same category as Crean. But since you don't know a fking thing about coaching, it isn't surprising that you did. There are a lot of idiots who regularly post on this forum. Not one of them comes close to reaching your level of pompous stupidity.
You’re right...Crean is far superior and more accomplished than Archie. That’s really not debatable if you’re not biased.

You’re right...Crean is far superior and more accomplished than Archie. That’s really not debatable if you’re not biased.
Thank you for confirming what everyone already knows about your limited intellect.

On the upside for you, Archie may be out soon. Rumor has it that Billy Donovan has been back in town looking for houses.

98986b112f957700c93dee61f11dc9148cbf01a0a6fcc4d79fbd768e2eafd24d.jpg

I was on campus just before you were. Let me remind you there was plenty of other "rushing". Towards administration buildings by large crowds of students during protests , (even closing them down) towards busloads of campus police dispatched to control large crowds of unruly protesters, towards girls dorms during panty raids, even crowds of drunken students rushing Bloomingtons town square after a pep rally when we were going to the final four. Yeah we recognized that people in charge set the rules, right. Not to say it was right. Maybe you were in the library and missed that kind of stuff.
Trust me, I did my share of partying, and doing fun things when I was on campus. I wasn't locked in the library and I attended every Football and Basketball Game for which I could obtain tickets. The philosophy for many of us in school was we work hard and play hard. Once our last class finished on Friday it was time to put the books away and have fun until Sunday night.

Before I went to IU I spent two years on campus at UW - Madison. Compared to the three ring circus I witnessed in Madison (War Protesters. Hippies who couldn't grow up, Druggies and Hangers on who were no longer students with no visible means of support, and Communes) Bloomington looked like a Monestary (without the diddling priests).

My comments were confined to conduct at Assembly Hall. I realize that there were protests of various types on and around campus and young people were questioning subjects and authority. I recognize that I was in Bloomington several years after the protest of the IU black football players that had multiple ramifications and consequences. I was not wearing blinders, and I was fully aware of these activities.

Let me remind you there was plenty of other "rushing". Towards administration buildings by large crowds of students during protests , (even closing them down) towards busloads of campus police dispatched to control large crowds of unruly protesters, towards girls dorms during panty raids, even crowds of drunken students rushing Bloomingtons town square after a pep rally when we were going to the final four.
By the Fall of '73 when I arrived, all the serious protesting was pretty much past. The draft had been suspended, the War was winding down, the administration had survived the revolt over raised tuition and fees, and the dorms had gone coed. Drugs, drunkenness, and debauchery were the norm, and disco had yet to rear its ugly head. Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end...

5 national title and 22 big ten championships. That’s why we don’t rush the floor for beating MSU. But reflective of how soft and bush league we’ve become. Hope it ends someday. But that kind of silliness is why Crean was here 9 years and we tolerate losing 12/13. Sometimes people and fans get what they deserve. May we should provide milk and cookies too. The “fans” tolerate mediocre performances and results , and then storm the court after beating a conference opponent. What’s next, storming the court with a win over Rutgers?

Don’t blame the kids. Blame the incompetence of the leadership for the dumpster fire these kids have had to endure for the past 3 years.

"Endure". Funny.

Well, Ok, I guess there should be a lot of seniors in the balcony. Plus, I don't know about you but I followed IU before I got there.

Any students on the floor after a win or loss is an accident waiting to happen. But I do concur that it is beneath us as a program with our history.

Saturday's "court storming" wasn't a big deal. But when it is a mob scene like after the UK game in 12 its a terrible idea. It's only a matter of time before there is a player injured or it develops into an all out brawl. And the injury concern is not only for the visiting team. Could just as easily be from the home team.

The Utah St- Nevada game Saturday nearly turned really ugly. Anytime college students and alcohol mix things can escalate quickly. It took police to calm that situation. And this will likely lead to much more strict rules and policing.

And the saying "act like you have been there before" should apply as well.

Saturday's "court storming" wasn't a big deal. But when it is a mob scene like after the UK game in 12 its a terrible idea. It's only a matter of time before there is a player injured or it develops into an all out brawl. And the injury concern is not only for the visiting team. Could just as easily be from the home team.

The Utah St- Nevada game Saturday nearly turned really ugly. Anytime college students and alcohol mix things can escalate quickly. It took police to calm that situation. And this will likely lead to much more strict rules and policing.

You mean somebody actually found liquor in the state of Utah? The Mormons must be in an uproar.

If that's what it takes to bring the passion back to IU fans, then let them rush the court in celebration. Hell, if you want to act like a blue blood program expecting to win, why don't we all just exit Assembly Hall early, before the game is over, just to show the world just how good we really think we are!

Don’t do that. Don’t talk about winning the Big Ten tournament as if it means something other than an automatic bid in the NCAA. People care about who won the conference. They don’t say, “well, did you also win the B10 tournament?”. Only benefit is that it might allow an underachieving team like this one to bolster their resume and sneak in under the wire.
It allows a team that suffered significant injuries earlier in the season, but is healthy and playing well now, a chance to play well in the BTT and impress the panel and qualify or be chosen for the NCAA Tournament.

If that's what it takes to bring the passion back to IU fans, then let them rush the court in celebration. Hell, if you want to act like a blue blood program expecting to win, why don't we all just exit Assembly Hall early, before the game is over, just to show the world just how good we really think we are!
Celebrating good wins against ranked teams in a season of struggle is not a bad thing. It helps the team feel appreciated and helps build momentum.

I remember in the late 1970's giant mobs of fans poured onto the field after the Yankees just won the World Series and I remember Reggie Jackson running like a bulldozer right through the crowd in an attempt to get to the safety of the dugout and the locker room. Reggie was wearing a batting helmet to protect his head from fans pelting him with thrown objects including thrown batteries in the outfield.

IU is one of the most storied programs in college basketball. Even when we’re having a bad season or decade , we don’t rush the court when we win. We are Indiana , not some long shot mid major. There is a fine line between having a little fun, and an excessive temporary celebration that could turn ugly, by mixing an emotional event with college students and alcohol consumption.

5 national title and 22 big ten championships. That’s why we don’t rush the floor for beating MSU. But reflective of how soft and bush league we’ve become. Hope it ends someday. But that kind of silliness is why Crean was here 9 years and we tolerate losing 12/13. Sometimes people and fans get what they deserve. May we should provide milk and cookies too. The “fans” tolerate mediocre performances and results , and then storm the court after beating a conference opponent. What’s next, storming the court with a win over Rutgers?
I'll be at the Rutgers game. Let's go!

Rushing the floor by 18 year olds in the atmosphere and environment of a major win vs a top 10 team with their friends, won by their friends is bad.

Rushing the message boards to celebrate a win vs an 11-19 team is acceptable and admirable by adults?

What IU has become....

And for the record , after the # 1 UK floor rush the took care of us later in the tournament when it mattered. It’s just a new era I guess. Participation trophies, moral victories , etc. maybe we can rush the floor with an IU Fort Wayne win sometime.
Sucks to be old and bitter, huh?

Reactions: eddy4iu
Rushing the floor by 18 year olds in the atmosphere and environment of a major win vs a top 10 team with their friends, won by their friends is bad.

Rushing the message boards to celebrate a win vs an 11-19 team is acceptable and admirable by adults?

What IU has become....

So sad for you....when IU is on top again will you read in despair, or just disappear.... I'll be watching..

Almost as bad as being ignorant and uninformed regarding IU hoops. You’re obviously the type of fan who settles for the type of results we’ve had for the last 15 years. Maybe you can celebrate us going to the NIT as well and give everyone cupcakes.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Yeah it’s actually interesting that people continue with the same logic of the Crean years. Guess we’ll be in year 7 with a sweet 16 and talk about how great the improvement has been. People don’t seem to understand banners are not hung by losing 12/13 or by making excuses....his players , injuries, wait until next year, etc. Heard it all with Crean as well. Must be a new age fan that just doesn’t get it. Do they even realize we were the Duke of college hoops before Duke?? From 72-73 through 92-93 we went to the final four approximately every 5-6 years. And won 3 championships with 2 others that were in reach. So yeah, I guess we’re crazy for wanting that type of program again.

I'm one of the old timers. Watching since the Lou Watson days. If they want to rush the floor, have at it. I'm glad to see the exitement.
I agree. It's been too long since IU was relevant for any period of time and the players today have no experience of IU's greatness. The excitement is good to see & basketball relevance would be welcome as well.

Yeah it’s actually interesting that people continue with the same logic of the Crean years. Guess we’ll be in year 7 with a sweet 16 and talk about how great the improvement has been. People don’t seem to understand banners are not hung by losing 12/13 or by making excuses....his players , injuries, wait until next year, etc. Heard it all with Crean as well. Must be a new age fan that just doesn’t get it. Do they even realize we were the Duke of college hoops before Duke?? From 72-73 through 92-93 we went to the final four approximately every 5-6 years. And won 3 championships with 2 others that were in reach. So yeah, I guess we’re crazy for wanting that type of program again.
They also don’t realize that the greatest coach took IU to the final four in his second freaking year!!! We are now told to wait 5 yrs to make tourney!

Reactions: Kyser123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT