ADVERTISEMENT

For the Younger Fans

IU is one of the most storied programs in college basketball. Even when we’re having a bad season or decade , we don’t rush the court when we win. We are Indiana , not some long shot mid major. We are supposed to win.
I'm one of the old timers. Watching since the Lou Watson days. If they want to rush the floor, have at it. I'm glad to see the exitement.

I'm one of the old timers. Watching since the Lou Watson days. If they want to rush the floor, have at it. I'm glad to see the exitement.
Same here. The game should be about the players and the students they represent. Let them have their fun. (I was hoping Fred would jump up and down on the scorer's table.)

IU is one of the most storied programs in college basketball. Even when we’re having a bad season or decade , we don’t rush the court when we win. We are Indiana , not some long shot mid major. We are supposed to win.

Don’t they get anybody down there in time to physically restrain them anymore? I remember more than a few times seeing some potential court rushes get nipped in bud by security that was doing their job.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
With the way this season has gone, the students and players deserve a floor rush after a big win like today...

No other “ blue bloods” do that. It’s a sign of how far we’ve fallen off the map. We were very fortunate to have the run we did with RMK. We expected to win. Peace and health to RMK and his family.
If the students wouldn't rush the floor, then the Wat shot celebration win over Kentucky would not have been as spectacular as it ended up being...

Is this a troll? If not, how sad ..

If the students wouldn't rush the floor, then the Wat shot celebration win over Kentucky would not have been as spectacular as it ended up being...
So for the sake of argument, let's say I agree with the court rush after the #1 UK win. Now we rush the court against #6 MSU after we beat them for the second time this year. Where does it stop? Does a sweep of Illinois or Penn State rate a court rush?

We've fallen so far that we rush the court after a win against a school we've played over 120 times since 1950 and have a winning record against.

I'll be so happy when we finally get this program where it belongs.

And for the record , after the # 1 UK floor rush the took care of us later in the tournament when it mattered. It’s just a new era I guess. Participation trophies, moral victories , etc. maybe we can rush the floor with an IU Fort Wayne win sometime.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-35835672.png

75 students on the floor is not a court rush. The WatShot court rush-now thatis a court rush worthy of IU. Let the 75 students have their fun. I cannot wait for the next legit, actual court rush- I bet it will be a BIG win.

And for the record , after the # 1 UK floor rush the took care of us later in the tournament when it mattered. It’s just a new era I guess. Participation trophies, moral victories , etc. maybe we can rush the floor with an IU Fort Wayne win sometime.
And message board trophy points!

So for the sake of argument, let's say I agree with the court rush after the #1 UK win. Now we rush the court against #6 MSU after we beat them for the second time this year. Where does it stop? Does a sweep of Illinois or Penn State rate a court rush?

We've fallen so far that we rush the court after a win against a school we've played over 120 times since 1950 and have a winning record against.

I'll be so happy when we finally get this program where it belongs.
We've lost a lot at home this year. Also we haven't been great in a really long time. I would say since 93. Sure we went to the championship game in 02 but we were the dark horse, not a great team that was supposed to be there. If it wasn't for Jay Williams missing the free throw after Fife followed him on the 3 pter we wouldn't have made it to the final four.

We've lost a lot at home this year. Also we haven't been great in a really long time. I would say since 93. Sure we went to the championship game in 02 but we were the dark horse, not a great team that was supposed to be there. If it wasn't for Jay Williams missing the free throw after Fife followed him on the 3 pter we wouldn't have made it to the final four.

Still don’t see any justification there for rushing the floor.

One slight correction- iu was one of the most...
That’s precisely why court storming has become commonplace at ah.

Just can't win. Get ripped by Sage Steele one game and you another. Maybe you should all get together and come up with an acceptable game plan for the fans. You could call it the Fan Bill of Rights.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
is it ok if the kids just meander onto the court?

No other “ blue bloods” do that. It’s a sign of how far we’ve fallen off the map. We were very fortunate to have the run we did with RMK. We expected to win. Peace and health to RMK and his family.
look cranky old man. let the kids get jacked up. they will want to come to more games and cheer even louder. i don't understand why this bothers you so much. it's not as if they were standing on your lawn

Next time, walk to the floor to show some discipline if fans really have the urge. Don't run.

Don’t they get anybody down there in time to physically restrain them anymore? I remember more than a few times seeing some potential court rushes get nipped in bud by security that was doing their job.
Security was so excited they were rushing the court too.

Or maybe it's just college kids having fun.....It's hard enough in this age to get anyone to show up to sporting events, at any level. It's a freaking entertainment product. Every kid should get to experience a court rush during their 4 years there.

Or maybe it's just college kids having fun.....It's hard enough in this age to get anyone to show up to sporting events, at any level. It's a freaking entertainment product. Every kid should get to experience a court rush during their 4 years there.

I was about to call bullshit on this and go on about how when I was at IU there were plenty of big wins, shots, etc. and we never rushed the floor and didn’t need to rush the floor to have a great experience. But I wanted make sure I didn’t look like a jack@ss, so I reviewed the tape and well...

Couple of caveats: MSU WAS ranked #1 at the time. I personally DID NOT rush the floor as I was in the band and would’ve gotten my @ss chewed or worse. Plus, it couldn’t have been too memorable because I had to go to YouTube to refresh my memory about whether it happened or not.

That said, lesson learned. As we get older we definitely start to forget what it was like when we were younger.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I was about to call bullshit on this and go on about how when I was at IU there were plenty of big wins, shots, etc. and we never rushed the floor and didn’t need to rush the floor to have a great experience. But I wanted make sure I didn’t look like a jack@ss, so I reviewed the tape and well...

Couple of caveats: MSU WAS ranked #1 at the time. I personally DID NOT rush the floor as I was in the band and would’ve gotten my @ss chewed or worse. Plus, it couldn’t have been too memorable because I had to go to YouTube to refresh my memory about whether it happened or not.

That said, lesson learned. As we get older we definitely start to forget what it was like when we were younger.
How could you have been in the pep band and not remember the floor rush after hastons shot? You dont remember Jeffries dancing on the scorers table as thousands of fans surrounded him and the team?

I was a jr and that was one of my floor seat games. I was definitely on the floor that afternoon.

How could you have been in the pep band and not remember the floor rush after hastons shot? You dont remember Jeffries dancing on the scorers table as thousands of fans surrounded him and the team?

I was a jr and that was one of my floor seat games. I was definitely on the floor that afternoon.

LOL. I was a jr. too. I’ve got better memories of the next season. This was good, and I remembered the shot, but wasn’t certain about the court rush. Probably sticks out more for you because it was one of the select times you had a great seat. Or yeah, maybe early onset Alzheimer’s...

Just like we tell the zebras . . . "let them play."

With the kind of season we're having no amount of celebration is unwarranted in my opinion. After all, that's why they call it Hoosier Hysteria.

Just looked up the Lynn Washington putback game against MSU from 2000. The court was rushed that day too. Don’t remember that happening either.

2013 #1 seed. Big Ten outright champions.

Reactions: Tegray1
BS. Let the kids enjoy and get off your high horse

Reactions: mobilehoosier
I have mixed feelings about this. Initially I go back to that old maxim from my football days (before spiking was a penalty). That is if you are fortunate enough to reach the end zone, act like you have been there before. I was on campus from 1974-1977, and saw the height of the Bob Knight era. I don't remember anyone rushing the court following a victory at Assembly Hall.

Here is what I see as being different. My generation was raised with parents who instilled discipline from a young age. They set the limits and you knew the consequences if you pushed the envelope too far. Same in school. If you were sent to the Principal's office, chances are you would have an encounter with the "Board of Education". If you went home and complained to Mom and Dad about how you were abused at school, they would laugh at you, and probably inflict discipline of their own. When we got to college, we understood that the people in charge set the rules and you followed them. If you were told not go on the Court and there were security guards around the Court, you knew that if you made it onto the Court, you would be tackled, subdued and probably charged with trespass.

With today's generation, there are no absolute rules. These are merely suggestions for conduct.if they violate one of these there are no consequences. Dean Wormer simply puts them on double secret probation. If someone in School tries to discipline them, they take it home to the parents, and Mom and Dad show at school the next day with their Lawyer to remind the School District of how expensive it will be to go through litigation. If they are offended by anything, they complain loud and long and expect someone to correct the problem for them.

While I don't condone the behavior of rushing the Court, I understand how this generation may think this is acceptable behavior. And last of all, Get off my grass whippersnapper.

You have to see the humor talking about shrugging off a bad decade.

Don’t forget that at least 99% of the student body was not alive when Indiana won its last national championship.

Think how excited fans will be if and when the Hoosiers win their first Big 10 tournament!

I have mixed feelings about this. Initially I go back to that old maxim from my football days (before spiking was a penalty). That is if you are fortunate enough to reach the end zone, act like you have been there before. I was on campus from 1974-1977, and saw the height of the Bob Knight era. I don't remember anyone rushing the court following a victory at Assembly Hall.

Here is what I see as being different. My generation was raised with parents who instilled discipline from a young age. They set the limits and you knew the consequences if you pushed the envelope too far. Same in school. If you were sent to the Principal's office, chances are you would have an encounter with the "Board of Education". If you went home and complained to Mom and Dad about how you were abused at school, they would laugh at you, and probably inflict discipline of their own. When we got to college, we understood that the people in charge set the rules and you followed them. If you were told not go on the Court and there were security guards around the Court, you knew that if you made it onto the Court, you would be tackled, subdued and probably charged with trespass.

With today's generation, there are no absolute rules. These are merely suggestions for conduct.if they violate one of these there are no consequences. Dean Wormer simply puts them on double secret probation. If someone in School tries to discipline them, they take it home to the parents, and Mom and Dad show at school the next day with their Lawyer to remind the School District of how expensive it will be to go through litigation. If they are offended by anything, they complain loud and long and expect someone to correct the problem for them.

While I don't condone the behavior of rushing the Court, I understand how this generation may think this is acceptable behavior. And last of all, Get off my grass whippersnapper.
The lack of discipline you speak of began with you and your generation. Nice try attempting to deflect your generations issues to another. If your generation knew what rushing the court was or high fives were you probably would have done it.

Reactions: brianiu
You have to see the humor talking about shrugging off a bad decade.

Don’t forget that at least 99% of the student body was not alive when Indiana won its last national championship.

Think how excited fans will be if and when the Hoosiers win their first Big 10 tournament!

Don’t do that. Don’t talk about winning the Big Ten tournament as if it means something other than an automatic bid in the NCAA. People care about who won the conference. They don’t say, “well, did you also win the B10 tournament?”. Only benefit is that it might allow an underachieving team like this one to bolster their resume and sneak in under the wire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT