ADVERTISEMENT

Food for thought

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
What is everyone’s opinion on playing the Bucket Game at Lucas Oil on the Friday after Thanksgiving?
Students are gone anyway,might add some buzz to the game.
I’m not saying I am for or against it,I can see positives and negatives.

Reactions: 76-1
What is everyone’s opinion on playing the Bucket Game at Lucas Oil on the Friday after Thanksgiving?

I could live with that..., but I'd prefer we Never played on Friday...

I think the start time limits attendance more than the venue however... These noon kickoffs suck...

I'd much rather it be a night game than this noon stuff...

Beat pu!!! (Like a Big drum)

Last edited:
Reactions: CC Mac
Never mind,just remembered the HS state finals are this weekend lol,my bad.

Can't because the high school championship games are on Friday and Saturday after thanksgiving.

Even if available, it wouldn't happen as it means too much to the Btown economy.

The advantage would be that it would essentially be a home game every year for IU.

Always play on campus. I would argue that the playoffs should be independent of the bowls and that the higher seeds host the semifinal games with the championship at a neutral site.

No no a thousand times no. Ask Btown businessmen how they feel about that?

Never give up home advantage, even if its a small advantage...never.

Even without the HS games to compete, no no no.
Easy big fella . . . I heard your foot stomping all the way down here in Georgia.

Reactions: IUCol

The Bucket game doesn’t belong after Thanksgiving. If it’s going to stay there (it shouldn’t), then Lucas Oil is worth a shot. The programs are not historically or consistently strong enough and legions of students on both campuses will graduate without ever having the opportunity to see the game. They should move it to October and IU should hope for a road game after Thanksgiving each year.

Didn't dawn on me till reading the above post but when I was a student the game was played before Thanksgiving. It truly is all about the money.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
Easy big fella . . . I heard your foot stomping all the way down here in Georgia.
Sorry about that...vbg...but we've been here many times over the years on one board or another. The consensus usually ran that games mean too much to Btown to move them...and to the team. Neutral sites don't help us in any way. We don't have any bigger draw in Indy than here...too much competition imo. So it keep here on campus please...

Better...?...vbg

Last edited:
Didn't dawn on me till reading the above post but when I was a student the game was played before Thanksgiving. It truly is all about the money.

??

It was always played on the traditional last weekend of CFB/B10 games. The 12 game season combined with the bye weeks moved the season finales back a week.

This isn't an Indiana thing.

??

It was always played on the traditional last weekend of CFB/B10 games. The 12 game season combined with the bye weeks moved the season finales back a week.

This isn't an Indiana thing.

In the nine game format the season usually began the end of September. There were years when the game was played after Thanksgiving. Essentially we have moved a month earlier to late August, but with some exceptions end the same time they did through 1965 when the 10 game format was adopted. In 1972 the 11 game format began and in 2002 was moved to the 12 game schedule.

The Bucket game doesn’t belong after Thanksgiving. If it’s going to stay there (it shouldn’t), then Lucas Oil is worth a shot. The programs are not historically or consistently strong enough and legions of students on both campuses will graduate without ever having the opportunity to see the game. They should move it to October and IU should hope for a road game after Thanksgiving each year.

I one of those legions. I never saw the bucket game during my years at IU since I was always at home for T-giving.

Reactions: goody1986
Nope read the first post and posted my response so sue me.
Most people would read the entire thread, but since it’s a rare occurrence you jumped at the chance to post something you knew. Can’t blame or sue you for that!

move it to october? good grief

The game should be an easy sellout. Not tickets sold but butts in seats. I hope folks at the game post photos of the crowd.

This game should be moved to the conference opener for both teams. It's absurd that they play this game with students at home. Indiana would benefit from this, too.

Reactions: goody1986
This game should be moved to the conference opener for both teams. It's absurd that they play this game with students at home. Indiana would benefit from this, too.
Your right but...as I have said 20x, I would rather see us playing at seasons end for all the marbles, when the marble actually matter. That cant happen at conference start...and the power of the game would be diminished as well imo...but that's only opinion...but a winner take all seems better than a game that in the end may have had little meaning at all, or its import is lost in the end. Just something to consider...

Your right but...as I have said 20x, I would rather see us playing at seasons end for all the marbles, when the marble actually matter. That cant happen at conference start...and the power of the game would be diminished as well imo...but that's only opinion...but a winner take all seems better than a game that in the end may have had little meaning at all, or its import is lost in the end. Just something to consider...
OK, I get that . . . but every year? With Thanksgiving weekend always intervening?

I wouldn't mind seeing a little variety . . . in fact having it the last weekend of the season could be more meaningful if this game weren't always on the last weekend but is so only, say, twice out of every 6 years or so. It's not like this is Auburn/Alabama or OSU/UM on a national level. As traditions go, this one is mostly dry turkey leftovers dressed up as fine fare . . . .

Most seasons, there are no marbles at the end for us. Nice idea but not often related to reality.

NO it is about going to 12 game regular season so it moved the season a week later.
It doesn’t matter when it’s played. If the kids cared they would go. My niece goes to FSU she left yesterday to drive to Gainesville then going rest of way this morning to get to the UF-FSU game. And Florida State might be worse than IU this year.

It should ALWAYS be on campus, when the students are on campus. Not too hard to accomplish, even late in the year.

It doesn’t matter when it’s played. If the kids cared they would go. My niece goes to FSU she left yesterday to drive to Gainesville then going rest of way this morning to get to the UF-FSU game. And Florida State might be worse than IU this year.
Two years ago my daughter had season tickets and we went back Friday night for the bucket game.

This shouldn’t be a test of commitment or care for fans. Ever hear of customer-centered design? Being a fan should be as easy as possible. Asking students to leave home early after Thanksgiving, especially when about 40% of IU undergrads are from out of state, isn’t really a helpful way to drum up support and fill the stands. We’ve made attending the biggest rivalry game the most difficult for students and the average fan. Unless you happen to be within a short drive from Bloomington, this is a big interruption of a family weekend. This works for historically strong programs, but it only hurts historically weaker programs like IU and undermines the effort to fill the stands. This is the kind of decision that erodes fan commitment rather than helps it. It’s one instance in which tradition hurts rather than helps, and the tradition should be ended.

Two years ago my daughter had season tickets and we went back Friday night for the bucket game.
That is what I am talking about if the students truly cared they would make plans to be there. By the way the niece I was referring to that attends FSU lives in Florida but almost 8 hours from Tallahassee. That is like living out of state and the Noles were terrible this year and had no shot at winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT