ADVERTISEMENT

Florida state Senator wants to ban X-Men

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
and that’s not too far off from being literally what he said:

“I’m looking at society today and it’s like I’m watching an X-Men movie,” Barnaby said at the start of his speech.

“It’s like we have mutants living among us on planet earth,” Barnaby continued. “That’s a fact: we have people that live among us today on Planet Earth that are happy to display themselves as if they were mutants from another planet.”

He went on to compare trans people to “demons and imps who come and parade before us and pretend that you are part of this world.”

He did end up issuing an apology, but this is bonkers. He also threw down the conservative Christian card, as if that gives him license to legislate out of fear, hate and bigotry.

If I were a Florida resident, I would not feel good about this man having direct impact on my state’s laws.

You can say whatever you want as long as it’s preceded or followed by “because Jesus”
And as the article I linked pointed out, not only is he perverting Jesus’ message, he totally missed the point of the X-Men story.

The X-Men were essentially created/written in response to hateful and ignorant people like him.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Society today is more like watching Simple Jack. If that could only have been a real movie.

"Never go full retard" - Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

And as the article I linked pointed out, not only is he perverting Jesus’ message, he totally missed the point of the X-Men story.

The X-Men were essentially created/written in response to hateful and ignorant people like him.
He apologized for his words. How is that perverting Jesus’s message?

He used his Christian faith as a justification/shield for trying to pass ostracizing legislation against people he either doesn’t understand or is afraid of and essentially said they don’t belong here.

Yes, he apologized, but does that sound very Christ-like to you?

He used his Christian faith as a justification/shield for trying to pass ostracizing legislation against people he either doesn’t understand or is afraid of and essentially said they don’t belong here.
This is your bias opinion of the legislation.
Yes, apologizing for one’s sins or mistakes is very Christ like.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

Can we see the legislation?

No offense, but you, too, are kinda missing the moral complexity of the X-Men as highlighted in that run of the movies (and which was subsequently covered in Batman v. Superman).

If you had a bunch of people running around with superpowers that could destroy whole cities and they were powers that manifested at puberty when a person has very little emotional control, let alone ability to control their new found powers, what should homo sapiens do? What if they have the power to wipe out mankind as we know it? What if a leader then appears who says they are a new species, more evolved than homo sapiens, and should be their ruler?

The comic run with Sen. Robert Kelly started with issue #135, Dark Phoenix (one of the greatest comics of all-time). That issue shows Dark Phoenix (a mutant, who then bonds with a fundamental force of the universe) searching out the M'kraan Crystal, which she wants to reenter, potentially destroying the entire universe. When she tires, she eats a star, thereby killing everyone on an alien planet.

So while the comic makes it seem terrible that the homo sapiens are hunting down these mutants, if one takes a step back, one might ask "what choice did they have?"

And thus ends the comic-book nerd rant of the day!

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but you, too, are kinda missing the moral complexity of the X-Men as highlighted in that run of the movies (and which was subsequently covered in Batman v. Superman).

If you had a bunch of people running around with superpowers that could destroy whole cities and they were powers that manifested at puberty when a person has very little emotional control, let alone ability to control their new found powers, what should homo sapiens do? What if they have the power to wipe out mankind as we know it? What if a leader then appears who says they are a new species, more evolved than homo sapiens, and should be their ruler?

The comic run with Sen. Robert Kelly started with issue #135, Dark Phoenix (one of the greatest comics of all-time). That issue shows Dark Phoenix (a mutant, who then bonds with a fundamental force of the universe) searching out the M'kraan Crystal, which she wants to reenter, potentially destroying the entire universe. When she tires, she eats a star, thereby killing everyone on an alien planet.

So while the comic makes it seem terrible that the homo sapiens are hunting down these mutants, if one takes a step back, one might say "what choice did they have?"

dd0.png

This is your bias opinion of the legislation.

Yes, apologizing for one’s sins or mistakes is very Christ like.
I suppose it is my opinion, but you’d be hard pressed to find a Bible passage where Jesus’ teaching justifies a this type of talk against a group of people:

He went on to compare trans people to “demons and imps who come and parade before us and pretend that you are part of this world.”

I suppose it is my opinion, but you’d be hard pressed to find a Bible passage where Jesus’ teaching justifies a this type of talk against a group of people:

Those words are not Christ like, which I am assuming is why he apologized. I’d agree with you if he hadn’t apologized, but he did. Good for him for admitting he was wrong. I wish more politicians would do it.

So while the comic makes it seem terrible that the homo sapiens are hunting down these mutants, if one takes a step back, one might ask "what choice did they have?"

Is Putin Thanos?

Reactions: hoosboot
(and which was subsequently covered in Batman v. Superman).
I'm sorry. My brain melted and made me stop reading here.

Using one of DC's worst to explain peak Marvel? Next somebody is going to use ALF to explain the last scene of The Sopranos. 😂

e987b6f3-566c-4c1c-92de-247cb2b88f98_text.gif

Reactions: larsIU
What do you object to in the bill specifically?
Not interested in your straw man arguments here. There is a reasonable way to bring up trans issues without calling trans people mutants and not of this world while using your Christian faith as a guide rail.

He is there to represent his constituents. Trans people are in an extreme minority and need to realize that. What he said was mean and people should use words more carefully.

The real problem is having to debate legislation about where people piss and shit in public. That's how far we've devolved. There is no federal law regulating public facilities. How about instead of criminalizing people, write a bill to require business to have individual universal restrooms.

you're totally absent the intelligence of even a 3 yr old, and just flat plain mean as a person.

but i apologize for saying that, and you've already pre-agreed that that's like i never even did.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Good grief.

There are some 7,400 state legislators across the country. When one of them makes a controversial comment, do we have to treat it as important news worthy of a response ?

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
people like to think there are many many different types of people in the world.

whites, blacks, browns, Asians, Christians, Arabs, Muslims, Russians, Americans, country folk, city folk, old people, young people, gays, heteros, etc, etc, etc, etc.

but really there are basically two types, and all of the above can be divided into said two types.

good guys and aholes.

the good guys all pretty much get along regardless of black, white, brown, Asian, Russian, American, Chinese, Japanese, Arab, Muslim, Christian, young, old, city, rural, gay, hetero, etc etc etc.

the aholes not so much.

the good guys have been under assault by the aholes throughout history, as it's the nature of good guys to get along and live and let live, while aholes have always sought dominance over others and have an inherent OCD need to rule over others.

the other way around virtually never, as the aholes are usually on offense imposing themselves on everyone else, and the good guys usually forced to defend themselves from the aholes.

it's just who they/we all are.

Reactions: Indyhorn
people like to think there are many many different types of people in the world.

whites, blacks, browns, Asians, Christians, Arabs, Muslims, Russians, Americans, country folk, city folk, old people, young people, gays, heteros, etc, etc, etc, etc.

but really there are basically two types, and all of the above can be divided into said two types.

good guys and aholes.

the good guys all pretty much get along regardless of black, white, brown, Asian, Russian, American, Chinese, Japanese, Arab, Muslim, Christian, young, old, city, rural, gay, hetero, etc etc etc.

the aholes not so much.

the good guys have been under assault by the aholes throughout history, as it's the nature of good guys to get along and live and let live, while aholes have always sought dominance over others and have an inherent OCD need to rule over others.

the other way around virtually never, as the aholes are usually on offense imposing themselves on everyone else, and the good guys usually forced to defend themselves from the aholes.

This is incredibly dumb. There are many types and race and ethnicity have little to do with it.

If you really want to condense it down to 2 categories you have predator and prey.

good guys and aholes.

the aholes not so much.

You gonna cite your source for the above?

• Haha
Reactions: dr.jb
well done.

if only things were that simple.

once things are put out there, apologizing after the fact never evens the score.
Will be very interesting to see what happens in West Virginia with Bob Huggins and his apology yesterday.....

good guys and aholes.

the aholes not so much.

i
IGW, this link entitled 5 Scientific Reasons Reasons Why You Are Totally Unique claims everyone is unique.

Personally, this makes more sense than trying to place everyone in a black, white, brown, Asian, Russian, American, Chinese, Japanese, Arab, Muslim, Christian, young, old, city, rural, gay, hetero box as IGW points out.

Putting people in a box versus looking at each other as totally unique is more divisive in my view.

• Love
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT