ADVERTISEMENT

"Fire that Son of a B!tch"

Jan 6, 2017
So, after saying a black journalist should be fired for calling him a white supremacist (even though he's called others racist in the past), Trump last night called black NFL players a "son of a b!tch" and said they should be fired too.

First of all, nice language. If Obama ever talked like that, Righties, especially the "Christians", would have had a nuclear meltdown.

Second, it's very telling he'll call black football players that but not neo-Nazi's. Nahhhhhhh, he's not a racist at all. (rolleyes)

And I guess the Smartest Businessman Ever never heard of contracts. You can't just "fire" players. And what happens if half the team protests?

Trump also "withdrew" the offer to Steph Curry to visit the White House because he was "hesitating." Jesus, what a crybaby child.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
So, after saying a black journalist should be fired for calling him a white supremacist (even though he's called others racist in the past), Trump last night called black NFL players a "son of a b!tch" and said they should be fired too.

First of all, nice language. If Obama ever talked like that, Righties, especially the "Christians", would have had a nuclear meltdown.

Second, it's very telling he'll call black football players that but not neo-Nazi's. Nahhhhhhh, he's not a racist at all. (rolleyes)

And I guess the Smartest Businessman Ever never heard of contracts. You can't just "fire" players. And what happens if half the team protests?

Trump also "withdrew" the offer to Steph Curry to visit the White House because he was "hesitating." Jesus, what a crybaby child.

We are living in a very scary time and place.

Will be very interesting to see how many more kneel tomorrow.

Lebron had a great comeback saying, "It used to be an honor to visit the White House until you became President."

Ouch.

I hope most NBA players now kneel just to watch Trump lose it and cry they should all be fired.

i don't normally care what overpaid meatheads have to say, but in this case I agree.

I bet none on the Cowboys will kneel. Jerry already made it clear on what he expects. Too bad more of the owners don't have the balls.

Reactions: Lucy01

Trump often makes a dumb issue out of irrelevancies. Meanwhile, the left always falls for it and makes a minor matter into a political shitstorm. But the left is badly failing in things that matter. I don't think Trump is deliberately using a head fake with all these inanities, but the left sure makes it seem like he is.

Trump often makes a dumb issue out of irrelevancies. Meanwhile, the left always falls for it and makes a minor matter into a political shitstorm. But the left is badly failing in things that matter. I don't think Trump is deliberately using a head fake with all these inanities, but the left sure makes it seem like he is.

I think acting like a six year old on Twitter with his "you're not invited" crap to Steph Curry was a big mistake. Not any upside there when there's a nuclear crisis, earthquakes, hurricanes, critical deadlines to renew laws, etc..

The "I'd fire those people not respecting the National Anthem" stuff does play better to his base, although he could have done that without the cussing and claiming concussion protocol is ruining the game.

I think acting like a six year old on Twitter with his "you're not invited" crap to Steph Curry was a big mistake. Not any upside there when there's a nuclear crisis, earthquakes, hurricanes, critical deadlines to renew laws, etc..

The "I'd fire those people not respecting the National Anthem" stuff does play better to his base, although he could have done that without the cussing and claiming concussion protocol is ruining the game.
The Steph Curry thing was ridiculous, but everything else does seem to fit nicely with his #MAGA theme. "Back in my day..." and so forth.

If the collective Bargaining Agreement does not cover standing for the Anthem, what would happen if an owner cut a player for It? My guess, he owes the player salary AND takes the hit on the salary cap. Cutting a higher end player would doom a team for a couple years as they unravel the cap issues. Given most players are black, it probably hurts them with free agents.

The NFL made this bed, they have tried so hard to fit alongside "God and country". It was a marketing move that got players out on the field for the Anthem, they returned to the locker rooms before 9/11.

I will admit I think baseball is as bad marketing patriotism. I like patriotism, I do not like marketing it for profit. Adding God Bless America to the 7th inning stretch was a crass ploy (after the first, I will buy that original).

If the collective Bargaining Agreement does not cover standing for the Anthem, what would happen if an owner cut a player for It? My guess, he owes the player salary AND takes the hit on the salary cap. Cutting a higher end player would doom a team for a couple years as they unravel the cap issues. Given most players are black, it probably hurts them with free agents.

The NFL made this bed, they have tried so hard to fit alongside "God and country". It was a marketing move that got players out on the field for the Anthem, they returned to the locker rooms before 9/11.

I will admit I think baseball is as bad marketing patriotism. I like patriotism, I do not like marketing it for profit. Adding God Bless America to the 7th inning stretch was a crass ploy (after the first, I will buy that original).
It would depend on the contract, but in most cases, the team would be free of any payment obligations, since the vast majority (other than signing bonuses) of NFL salaries are not guaranteed. However, the team will still take a hit against cap space for any prorated payments (i.e., signing bonuses) already made to the player.

It would depend on the contract, but in most cases, the team would be free of any payment obligations, since the vast majority (other than signing bonuses) of NFL salaries are not guaranteed. However, the team will still take a hit against cap space for any prorated payments (i.e., signing bonuses) already made to the player.
That is true, only guaranteed. Which though often in 7 figures, is not "that" much for the NFL.

The cap hit is the issue.

That is true, only guaranteed. Which though often in 7 figures, is not "that" much for the NFL.

The cap hit is the issue.
Yeah, I just did some follow-up reading, and any remaining pro-rated bonus money would accelerate to the 2018 cap. So if a team cut a player early in a contract that had a large signing bonus, they'd take a huge single-year hit next year.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I see an A's catcher took a knee today in response to Trump's comments.
I hope everyone takes a knee to protest Trump's clownish statements. He's much more un-American than Kaepernick is supposed to be.

The worst thing Kaepernick has done is kneel during the national anthem. The worst thing Trump has done is being elected President of the United States. Which of these things causes not-racist white people to get upset?

[Hint: The thing that involves a black person.]

This thread seems a great place to the in this classic story.

Thanks for yet another nugget, Marvin. I'm ashamed to admit that I never knew the story of Peter Norman, but I'm glad that I do now. What a powerful testimony that Smith and Carlos eulogized Norman and that both were pallbearers for his funeral. It's not that what happened in a moment in Mexico City was extraordinary (it was). It's what it led to for forty years after that was.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I hope everyone takes a knee to protest Trump's clownish statements.

The NFL is toast. The typical NFL fan is probably the typical Trump supporter and agrees with him. Those who think Trump is a clown aren't NFL types anyway. Of course there are exceptions.

The NFL is toast. The typical NFL fan is probably the typical Trump supporter and agrees with him. Those who think Trump is a clown aren't NFL types anyway. Of course there are exceptions.
That stereotype of NFL fans is purportedly incorrect. Although they are predominantly white, they are further to the left of other fans. There is a famous story in campaign circles that Karl Rove used football demographics to win Ohio in 2000, by microtargeting college fans (which trend Republican) over NFL fans (which trend Democrat).

I agree the NFL is toast. But it has nothing to do with players kneeling. The NFL is toast because football hasn't dealt (and perhaps cannot deal) with the health issues, and youth participation is plummeting as a result.

Thanks for yet another nugget, Marvin. I'm ashamed to admit that I never knew the story of Peter Norman, but I'm glad that I do now. What a powerful testimony that Smith and Carlos eulogized Norman and that both were pallbearers for his funeral. It's not that what happened in a moment in Mexico City was extraordinary (it was). It's what it led to for forty years after that was.

I think Normans will appear across the NFL today as a lot of white players will join their black teammates.

That stereotype of NFL fans is purportedly incorrect. Although they are predominantly white, they are further to the left of other fans. There is a famous story in campaign circles that Karl Rove used football demographics to win Ohio in 2000, by microtargeting college fans (which trend Republican) over NFL fans (which trend Democrat).

I agree the NFL is toast. But it has nothing to do with players kneeling. The NFL is toast because football hasn't dealt (and perhaps cannot deal) with the health issues, and youth participation is plummeting as a result.

I didn't say the typical NFL fan was a Republican. I said he was a Trump supporter. These are the deplorables who handed much of the rust belt to Trump. This kneeling for the anthem stuff won't play well in that crowd.

The health issues take time. If the protests become a thing at games, TV ratings and maybe game attendance will take an immediate hit.

I didn't say the typical NFL fan was a Republican. I said he was a Trump supporter. These are the deplorables who handed much of the rust belt to Trump. This kneeling for the anthem stuff won't play well in that crowd.

The health issues take time. If the protests become a thing at games, TV ratings and maybe game attendance will take an immediate hit.
The number of non-Republican Trump supporters nationwide is too small to represent "typical NFL fans," even if every single one of them is a football fanatic. Perhaps you are underestimating just how popular the NFL remains.

The anthem thing is noise. It bothers some people, obviously, but it's not a threat to the NFL.

I think the NFL has another problem. I attended a decade of Steeler at Bengal games and they were always just this side of a riot. Especially night and late afternoon starts. We were not at the playoff game, but the ugliness did not surprise me.

Reading online, several other locales have similar problems though the NFL is leaving Oakland, one of the worst. And to be fair, I haven't seen the problem at all in Indy. But again there are enough news stories to indicate Cincinnati is not a one-off.

I don’t think the President has lost any votes from people on this board.

I bet none on the Cowboys will kneel. Jerry already made it clear on what he expects. Too bad more of the owners don't have the balls.

So let me see if I have this straight.Trump (and presumably you) have no issue with ARMED white supremacists marching thru the streets of a college town where they are NOT wanted,parading outside a synagogue chanting "Jews will not replace us",and generally congregating in a show of force.They openly advocate for racial purity,publish papers designed to demonstrate the genetic inferiority of non whites,and emulate and praise a man and ideology responsible for the systematic murder of tens of millions.Of those people Trump (and again presumably you agree) characterizes them as "good people" in the ultimate "bosides" nonsense...

But for unarmed people who sit/kneel peacefully during a freaking song,this same clown (and presumably you) reserve nothing but disdain?Somehow people exercising their Consitutional right to kneel prior to a sporting event,where for some inexplicable reason it's deemed necessary to play a song prior to the competition is somehow "unAmerican"?

People conducting a silent protest to draw attention to what they see as a social injustice is verbotten,but marching while armed and singing a song about a Nazi murderer and chanting racist slogans is all hunky dory with Trump (and you?).Can you explain that to us? Why do you evidently feel so threatened by the individual,silent folks conducting a non violent protest,and yet aren't horrified by armed thugs marching thru the streets?

The number of non-Republican Trump supporters nationwide is too small to represent "typical NFL fans," even if every single one of them is a football fanatic. Perhaps you are underestimating just how popular the NFL remains.

The anthem thing is noise. It bothers some people, obviously, but it's not a threat to the NFL.

I think you got this dead wrong. The typical NFL fan wants to see his guys kick the other guy's ass. They want big hits. They want "in your face" attitudes. They want dances and trash talking after a sack. They want bragging rights. The NFL recognizes this and supports it. Names and apparel with names like the Raiders are more popular than the Dolphins. We have Falcons, Bengal Tigers, Lions, Giants, Vikings and Titans; or names for the local blue collar guys like Packers and Steelers. When a team is named for an innocuous thing, the logo is made to be aggressive and threatening--see Cardinals. Advertising? Beer and big pickup trucks are most of it. The advertising people know the audience. The armed forces pay to have military displays at games because the fans are the people they want to recruit to fight our battles. "Fire that son of a bitch" exactly what most fans would say and how they would say it. This is who Trump panders to. This is who support him.

Commissioner Goodell was exactly wrong when he responded to Trump by yammering about all the good NFL does and unity the NFL brings to society. It does do that. But that is not a cause of its popularity. It is the result of it.

This guy nailed it.

I think you got this dead wrong. The typical NFL fan wants to see his guys kick the other guy's ass. They want big hits. They want "in your face" attitudes. They want dances and trash talking after a sack. They want bragging rights. The NFL recognizes this and supports it. Names and apparel with names like the Raiders are more popular than the Dolphins. We have Falcons, Bengal Tigers, Lions, Giants, Vikings and Titans; or names for the local blue collar guys like Packers and Steelers. When a team is named for an innocuous thing, the logo is made to be aggressive and threatening--see Cardinals. Advertising? Beer and big pickup trucks are most of it. The advertising people know the audience. The armed forces pay to have military displays at games because the fans are the people they want to recruit to fight our battles. "Fire that son of a bitch" exactly what most fans would say and how they would say it. This is who Trump panders to. This is who support him.

Commissioner Goodell was exactly wrong when he responded to Trump by yammering about all the good NFL does and unity the NFL brings to society. It does do that. But that is not a cause of its popularity. It is the result of it.

This guy nailed it.
Predictably, when you look for a smart take on the NFL, you turn to a guy who admits he hasn't paid attention to it since 1974.

This guy nailed it.
I think you at projecting. I disagree that you think this is the typical NFL fan.

Our not-racist President has decided that it's important that he address the pressing national problem of uppity Negroes. He wasn't outraged by neo-Nazis violently protesting in Charlottesville ("very fine people"), but he is outraged by black athletes quietly kneeling. This, I guess, is the economic anxiety that he's said to represent.

More nonsense from the Minister of Nonsense.

The NFL is indeed toast but it's because the pipeline is drying up of talent. And your votee would seek to cause it to dry up even faster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT