ADVERTISEMENT

Financial Aid paperwork....clearing up some things

crossfire74

All-American
Nov 28, 2014
I know this has been beat to death, but I wanted to set the record straight because I was wrong about something.

Midyear enrollees sign financial aid paperwork that binds the school to the player only. A player signs it, but ultimately, it's the school's responsibility to accept it and sign it (to make it official) and then the player will enroll. The player is basically getting money right off the bat because they are going on scholarship.

Now, in February, a letter of intent is signed that binds both the player to the school and the school to the player. It's a weird system, but that's the NCAA for you.

Hafiz did sign financial aid paperwork at his press conference. However, the true binder of agreement is the Indiana University Athletic Department. If they don't sign their end, then he can't attend here regardless of what he did on his end. I was wrong in stating that he didn't sign anything, he obviously did do his part. The Athletic Department can also withhold the paperwork, then sign it later if they so chose. Looking at the NCAA rulebook today, that was something that I also didn't know.

So hopefully this clears up some stuff and I'm sorry for the wrong information. Reading the rule book again, it amazes me how schools can keep this stuff straight. I know I'm a layman, but their rules are all over the place!!

While I used Hafiz as an example, this post is not intended to bring up whys or whys not....is that a word, that IU isn't holding up their end. That's for them to disclose if they ever want to and not for me to speculate or even comment on right now.

Reactions: Sam_Beishuizen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News