ADVERTISEMENT

FBI now investigating UK!!!!!! Finally!

That might be. The NBA created the OAD because GM's couldn't evaluate HS players well enough before investing millions into them. Basically, the required 1 year of college is for their benefit and acts as a defacto minor league.

But with everything going on in the collegiate world (FBI investigation, etc . . .) there is significant pressure to revamp the OAD rule so that kids/families who would not be going to college IF they could go straight to a pro career won't be tempted to take money on the side. It's likely going to happen sooner or later.

Then what? You failed to address that possibility in your response. If the OAD goes away (which is a STRONG possibility),how will BBN deal with not going deep in March Madness every year? You know and I know Rupp Rafters is abuzz already on the results from the last 3 years. 2016 is likely going to be the result you have every other year if OAD is abolished. Then what?
Not to fight but does anyone know how many true one and dones there usually are each year? My sense is that there are only about 8-10 one and dones each year and some of them fail miserably in the NBA. We all might be spending too much time on this, considering how few are really one and dones.

Also, if the concern is really money (instead of something else), then what underprivileged, honest, hardworking 18-year-old kid would feel he wasn't supporting his family if he "had" to play in France, Italy or Turkey for a year for only $500,000 or so instead of going to college in the U.S. for one year, thus blaming the NCAA for his failure to get millions in the NBA that year as his birthright and entitlement? Truly, there must be a lot of high school seniors good enough to play in Europe and make tons of money if they don't want to go to a U.S. college and play by the NCAA and NBA rules.

Just a thought -- maybe, just maybe, some of these high school players in fact care more about being anointed and worshipped as superhuman basketball players in the NBA (and only the NBA) instead of merely making tons of money whereever in the world they can earn it on the free market for their services.

Actually the points the poster made were valid, you just chose to discount them with some points of your own with a different context.

IU has won 3 of last 4.

IU wanted to play home and home, which I personally agree with 100%.

Cal balked at that. Then IU offered a reasonable compromise and Cal balks again.

The SEC is traditionally a far inferior league to the BIG.
Not 3 out of last 4, but 2 out of last 3.

I'll also add when the contract had ended, IU was nearly everyone's early #1 team entering the next season. Assuming the series went like normal, the next game would have been at Rupp. Calipari had an undefeated record at home and didn't want it tarnished. Especially by IU. That was when supposedly IU was on the rise and Cal wanted no part of us for the next few years.

Baylor replaced IU on UK's schedule that year in which Baylor won at Rupp. Both teams went to the NIT that season.

Not 3 out of last 4, but 2 out of last 3.

I'll also add when the contract had ended, IU was nearly everyone's early #1 team entering the next season. Assuming the series went like normal, the next game would have been at Rupp. Calipari had an undefeated record at home and didn't want it tarnished. Especially by IU. That was when supposedly IU was on the rise and Cal wanted no part of us for the next few years.

Baylor replaced IU on UK's schedule that year in which Baylor won at Rupp. Both teams went to the NIT that season.

Credit where credit is due. 2 of 3 is correct.

Not to fight but does anyone know how many true one and dones there usually are each year? My sense is that there are only about 8-10 one and dones each year and some of them fail miserably in the NBA.

That’s the whole point.

GM’s were drafting kids who weren’t ready (can you say Kwame Brown?) and the extra year not only gave NBA teams an extra year to evaluate players, but was a year of development at no expense to NBA clubs.

You’re right - there isn’t very many true OAD’s every year. But how do you identify them? And who foots the bill for that evaluation? That’s why OAD was created.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT