ADVERTISEMENT

Facilities

Victorbmyboy

Hall of Famer
Nov 10, 2014

Seems like we’ve heard this before. If they are really serious this time, I’d bet this could cost a whole lot more than either of the end zone projects. And be a royal PIA for a few years. It’s got to be done though. And no thoughts of suites/expanded press box? Still looks dinky and amateurish compared to other big schools.

Seems like we’ve heard this before. If they are really serious this time, I’d bet this could cost a whole lot more than either of the end zone projects. And be a royal PIA for a few years. It’s got to be done though. And no thoughts of suites/expanded press box? Still looks dinky and amateurish compared to other big schools.
I thinks suites, concessions and restrooms are all in the mix. It will give them direction on what the public wants. Obviously most of the money was for student athlete needs.

Brewster's Millions says hey.

MS is flat great, and doesn't need more money dumped into it.

make it affordable for the 80% and not just the 20%, free fball tics for IU students already spending 10s of thousands on IU, and that's the best thing one could do for the stadium and the program.

that said, whatever they are gonna do has no doubt already been decided, and affordability and butts in seats will never be a priority.

make it affordable for the 80% and not just the 20%, and that's the best thing one could do for the stadium and the program.
We have some of the lowest retail ticket prices in the Big Ten, and there are bargains galore on the secondary market. Tickets are affordable, in spite of your misinformation to the contrary.

make it affordable for the 80% and not just the 20%, free fball tics for IU students already spending 10s of thousands on IU, and that's the best thing one could do for the stadium and the program.

that said, whatever they are gonna do has no doubt already been decided, and affordability and butts in seats will never be a priority.

When's the last time you bought tickets to a game?

You can get lower level tickets to Rutgers for under $30... Wisconsin for under $40 (not including fees). Sure, the Ohio State game is gonna be the most expensive, but even that is under $100.

If you can't afford around $50 for a ticket, maybe the person shouldn't be going and should just stay home and watch it on TV.

Anyone that was at the IU-Cincy game from '21 will tell you the stadium can not comfortably hold a capacity crowd for four quarters. The concourses were a mess, lines for Concessions and Bathrooms were endless, getting in and out of the stadium was a nightmare. There's obviously upgrades that could be made, but the difficult aspect of it for me is knowing whether it's really worth upgrading considering how rare it is that MS is actually at capacity for more than 1-2 quarters.

When I was a freshman at IU in the late 90's, they gave us all free season tickets. Every home game I had a ticket for football. Next to no one went because it was a curb stomping almost every game. There are so many things to do as a young person on a college campus that the price doesn't even come into play on some of this. What is going on at the stadium has to be a better use of your 3+ hours than the alternative. The team has to win. They have to win some games against some of the better schools. They have to show that they are a threat to win (by actually winning, not just playing close) and that they will be at least that conaistent mediocre level going forward over a period of time. Until they do that, everything else is window dressing.

We could give the tickets away and it still wouldn't matter because right now, it is more fun in the parking lot than it is watching the team in the stadium.

Anyone that was at the IU-Cincy game from '21 will tell you the stadium can not comfortably hold a capacity crowd for four quarters. The concourses were a mess, lines for Concessions and Bathrooms were endless, getting in and out of the stadium was a nightmare. There's obviously upgrades that could be made, but the difficult aspect of it for me is knowing whether it's really worth upgrading considering how rare it is that MS is actually at capacity for more than 1-2 quarters.
They should look at Virginia tech Lane stadium. It was built by the same design company and was almost identical. They made changes and upgrades to accommodate full crowds. I’d say it’s worth it and I was at that game and had a great experience. I parked downtown and walked to the tailgate area. Sat in the new section on the patio. If you haven’t done that you might try it.

They should look at Virginia tech Lane stadium. It was built by the same design company and was almost identical. They made changes and upgrades to accommodate full crowds. I’d say it’s worth it and I was at that game and had a great experience. I parked downtown and walked to the tailgate area. Sat in the new section on the patio. If you haven’t done that you might try it.
Eggers and Higgins designed both Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall (the original plans were developed several years before ground was ever broken for AH). They also were responsible for the design of several other buildings on campus. Don’t believe they had anything to do with Lane Stadium, though the design of one stand at LS closely mimics the east and west stands of MS.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
We weren’t adequately prepared for the heat that day, and it was disappointing, to say the least. But it wasn’t and isn’t a function of the size of the crowd . . . We just didn’t properly plan for the conditions.

Last edited:
Nothing in the article indicates that suites/expanded press box are not under consideration. They list premium seating options and locations as an item for exploration, which would seem to include the possibility of additional suites and/or press box expansion.

I'll forever be annoyed at the SEZ expansion. Why they added a 3rd architectural style instead of continuing the look and feel of the NEZ, I'll never understand. feels very IU football - piecemeal, uncoordinated, and not thoughtful. Hopefully they don't make things worse with any new additions or renovations.

Eggers and Higgins designed both Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall (the original plans were developed several years before ground was ever broken for AH). They also were responsible for the design of several other buildings on campus. Don’t believe they had anything to do with Lane Stadium, the the design of one stand at LS closely mimics the east and west stands of MS.
I believe the original plans called for MS to be "balanced" and have the same number of seats on both sides of the stadium. They cut back on the east side seating. A forerunner of what we now call value engineering.

I believe the original plans called for MS to be "balanced" and have the same number of seats on both sides of the stadium. They cut back on the east side seating. A forerunner of what we now call value engineering.
The original plans did call for the East stands to mirror the West side. Funding became an issue and we cut back, which why there are ramps to an “upper level” on the West (with upper entries) but no such “extension” on the East side.

When I was a freshman at IU in the late 90's, they gave us all free season tickets. Every home game I had a ticket for football. Next to no one went because it was a curb stomping almost every game. There are so many things to do as a young person on a college campus that the price doesn't even come into play on some of this. What is going on at the stadium has to be a better use of your 3+ hours than the alternative. The team has to win. They have to win some games against some of the better schools. They have to show that they are a threat to win (by actually winning, not just playing close) and that they will be at least that conaistent mediocre level going forward over a period of time. Until they do that, everything else is window dressing.

We could give the tickets away and it still wouldn't matter because right now, it is more fun in the parking lot than it is watching the team in the stadium.
Not sure if you still attend but the students have shown up quite a bit more. Now a bunch leave at halftime but it seems like more and more stay till late in the game unless it is really out of hand.

Correct, as I have read it and been told. (way before my time), that was the plan.

I have been told that one of the hesitations with putting the suites up there is that pretty much kills any attempt to increase the rows.

As you all are sick of hearing, those suites are my (and others) first priority from a business entertainment standpoint. Others don't care or claim they would not sell, which is made up BS.

They need to make upgrades then to the south grass field tailgating area then since it’s where the party is after halftime! Maybe level it out more to create less muddy areas when raining. Put in a concert area stage or something.
The only upgrades I think they should make on the stadium is put a better sound barrier system in somewhere where they can pipe in some noise like the old RCA dome, you know, to make the smaller IU crowds that stay after halftime sound larger!

Eggers and Higgins designed both Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall (the original plans were developed several years before ground was ever broken for AH). They also were responsible for the design of several other buildings on campus. Don’t believe they had anything to do with Lane Stadium, though the design of one stand at LS closely mimics the east and west stands of MS.
You don’t know the history then. I believe they licensed the design. Lane was almost identical until they renovated. Wake forest is a miniature version. Lane also has the odd east end size difference.

Last edited:
Nothing in the article indicates that suites/expanded press box are not under consideration. They list premium seating options and locations as an item for exploration, which would seem to include the possibility of additional suites and/or press box expansion.

I'll forever be annoyed at the SEZ expansion. Why they added a 3rd architectural style instead of continuing the look and feel of the NEZ, I'll never understand. feels very IU football - piecemeal, uncoordinated, and not thoughtful. Hopefully they don't make things worse with any new additions or renovations.
I agree, the SEZ has that disjointed look, although it’s still way better than the previous end zone bleachers.

The cost of tickets isn’t that big of an issue with students, as a lot of them are living off daddy’s credit card. Students who don’t come and those who do come but don’t stay not because of ticket prices, the old restrooms or stale nachos. They don’t come because of the frustration that for too long has come to be expected. No one wants to sit on metal bleacher seats for 4+ hours to see maybe 1-2 TD’s scored by IU, punctuated with too many “3 and outs”.

I think the north end of the stadium looks great from the 46 bypass…very collegiate looking in a traditional sort of way, esp. when lit up at night in floodlight. What looks tacky is the Mellencamp Pavilion. Thanks, Johnny Smalltown, but it was built on the cheap with its Quonset hut design from WW II, along with the old field house…the yin-yang of architecture with AH adjoining.

On a side note, it still pisses me off Bob Knight has never been officially recognized by the school for all he did for IU. It’s been 23 years now. If they’re waiting until he dies to do so, the woken chickenshits will have waited too long. Meanwhile, Mean Gene keeps the accolades coming long after naming it Keady Court. IU is like the Megan Rapinoe-led soccer team, so distracted in woken social issues it allows the opposition to pass them by.

Better seating, hard aluminum benches are out of touch with paying $ to set for 3-4 hours. It is a big deal.
Believe something can and should be created to fill the 4 corners consistently. Making it akin to students in upper deck of AH. I don't have a solid idea to express. Probably have to be outside the paradigm, like delivering hot dogs, popcorn and beverages by drone. Something that can fill the 250-600 seats in those 4 corners. Many times outside the box sells. What's to lose, their empty now?

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Not sure if you still attend but the students have shown up quite a bit more. Now a bunch leave at halftime but it seems like more and more stay till late in the game unless it is really out of hand.
Do you think that number changes with a free ticket though? What are student tickets running these days? They were like $10 (give or take) IIRC when I was there. The money isn't what kept people away, it was the losing. I think that also plays into today's students checking out at halftime.

Better seating, hard aluminum benches are out of touch with paying $ to set for 3-4 hours. It is a big deal.
Believe something can and should be created to fill the 4 corners consistently. Making it akin to students in upper deck of AH. I don't have a solid idea to express. Probably have to be outside the paradigm, like delivering hot dogs, popcorn and beverages by drone. Something that can fill the 250-600 seats in those 4 corners. Many times outside the box sells. What's to lose, their empty now?
They need to clean them better for one. 🤣

I agree, the SEZ has that disjointed look, although it’s still way better than the previous end zone bleachers.

The cost of tickets isn’t that big of an issue with students, as a lot of them are living off daddy’s credit card. Students who don’t come and those who do come but don’t stay not because of ticket prices, the old restrooms or stale nachos. They don’t come because of the frustration that for too long has come to be expected. No one wants to sit on metal bleacher seats for 4+ hours to see maybe 1-2 TD’s scored by IU, punctuated with too many “3 and outs”.

I think the north end of the stadium looks great from the 46 bypass…very collegiate looking in a traditional sort of way, esp. when lit up at night in floodlight. What looks tacky is the Mellencamp Pavilion. Thanks, Johnny Smalltown, but it was built on the cheap with its Quonset hut design from WW II, along with the old field house…the yin-yang of architecture with AH adjoining.

On a side note, it still pisses me off Bob Knight has never been officially recognized by the school for all he did for IU. It’s been 23 years now. If they’re waiting until he dies to do so, the woken chickenshits will have waited too long. Meanwhile, Mean Gene keeps the accolades coming long after naming it Keady Court. IU is like the Megan Rapinoe-led soccer team, so distracted in woken social issues it allows the opposition to pass them by.
Umbrella the entire M/W BB complex with a moniker focusing on the RMK brand. It's a winner.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

I do agree with you that it's already been decided.

This survey is just opium for the masses.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
They need to make upgrades then to the south grass field tailgating area then since it’s where the party is after halftime! Maybe level it out more to create less muddy areas when raining. Put in a concert area stage or something.
The only upgrades I think they should make on the stadium is put a better sound barrier system in somewhere where they can pipe in some noise like the old RCA dome, you know, to make the smaller IU crowds that stay after halftime sound larger!
Yeah, let's bulldoze the hills and pave it all over..... j/k I know you're not suggesting that, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone took your idea and screwed it up. I like that area the way it is and there should be at least an area that's not overbuilt or developed, imo.

Part of the charm of the parking in that area is the shady area and just the feel of not being on a concrete slab. Flatten that area out and, even if it's grassy, it will still have the feel of the other lots - sterile and little room to tailgate when the lot is crowded.

Do you think that number changes with a free ticket though? What are student tickets running these days? They were like $10 (give or take) IIRC when I was there. The money isn't what kept people away, it was the losing. I think that also plays into today's students checking out at halftime.
Whatever they're doing now seems to work. The students show up and, even when getting blown out a couple years ago, a huge group of guys were in an upper corner with their shirts off when it was about 10 degrees.

The students seems to have a pretty good time now. It's nothing like the late 90s when you were in school.

Now, when I was in school in the 70s, you could sneak in as much beer as you could manage and we always had a good time on the East side. Our dorm floor made a huge "FVCK PURDUE" sign and unfurled it at kick-off of the Bucket game. The alumni on the West side roared.

I love IU football like Chicago fans love the Cubs. I go for the spectacle, not necessarily the score (thank God).

They’ve been talking about suites for years, at least to to the time when Rick Greenspan engaged HOK to study opportunities for developing both AH and MS. There were renderings that included suites both as an extension of a closed north end zone as well as behind the East stands. And Fred Glass regularly tried to solicit interest from alums / donors / fans / corporate supporters. Unfortunately, the result has always been the same . . . mild interest from a limited number of people / organizations and no interest in committing seed capital / funding to make it a reality.

Dolson laid out the process for how this stuff works, in that interest must lead to financial commitments in order for the Trustees to green light it. We’ve never gotten that far given the dearth of demand. It’s really that simple.

This survey isn’t really about stuff like that anyway, given the broader distribution ( cultivating interest in suites isn’t done via a survey). Will be interesting to see what comes from it, though I would guess it will lean heavily toward concessions and restroom accessibility.

What should we do for Knight? Things seem to be in a good spot right now, especially after he returned to AH. They all messed up but people have either died, are in decline or have just moved on. Knight won’t apologize and IU won’t apologize. Probably good to just move on. Maybe the roadway into the south AH entrance can be named for him some day.

Aside from bathrooms, concourse et al. When u walk into stadium it really has charm. If we had a press box that spanned say from 10yd line to 10 yd line it would make the place look fabulous IMO
It really does look great and the two large video boards are good.

The concourse including concessions and restrooms are obviously in need of upgrade

Aside from bathrooms, concourse et al. When u walk into stadium it really has charm. If we had a press box that spanned say from 10yd line to 10 yd line it would make the place look fabulous IMO
West side suites have value for a few reasons. The physical plant infrastructure is already somewhat there, though the HOK evaluation cited as many problems with it as there were perceived advantages. Interestingly, the feedback provided by more than a few is a desire to continue to park behind the West stands, which obviously wouldn’t be practical if we built on the East. Again, it’s all about demand (or the lack thereof, which has consistently been the case). Even Glass, before he got nudged out, would’ve done this in a heartbeat had there been sufficient interest.

It really does look great and the two large video boards are good.

The concourse including concessions and restrooms are obviously in need of upgrade
My UK friend who came up for a few games thought out facilities were nice. He’s been to a bunch of SEC places. Another friend who now works at IU and is from florida(big UF fan) was actually surprised how decent our stuff is. We are behind but not crazy far.

What should we do for Knight? Things seem to be in a good spot right now, especially after he returned to AH. They all messed up but people have either died, are in decline or have just moved on. Knight won’t apologize and IU won’t apologize. Probably good to just move on. Maybe the roadway into the south AH entrance can be named for him some day.
Knight’s return was orchestrated by his adoring players, not the university in any official capacity. If his only recognition is a walk to center court at halftime of a game we lose to Purdue, that was pretty damn weak. I’ve always contended a bigger than life size bronze statue outside, in the middle of Nunn Plaza with a list of his accomplishments on a copper plaque imbedded in an artistically cut block of Salem limestone.

Your suggestion, renaming 17th St between Dunn and Fee Lane something like Knight’s Way would be very fitting.

Hell, our nemesis, PU, gets so giddy they named their stadium street after a former player, Brees Way. Their play on words sound like engineered humor. Smart move on their part, though, stroking the ego of one of their wealthiest alumni. They’ll be milking his coffers for years to come. Why can’t IU have one? When’s the last time IU named anything after a white guy? They’re too busy digging through the archives looking for reasons not to name something after any such color not in tune with times today, 150 years ago. Times were different then with morality different than today and that’s a good thing but don’t turn someone into evil today for doing something that wasn’t nearly as bad back then. I’m speaking with David Starr Jordan in mind and renaming J Hall, J Ave Parking Garage, J River and J Ave. I bet his descendents are really pissed. I would be. (NS, Sherlock)

The original plans did call for the East stands to mirror the West side. Funding became an issue and we cut back, which why there are ramps to an “upper level” on the West (with upper entries) but no such “extension” on the East side.
I think the foundation was laid back then whereby you can still add an upper extension onto that side of the stadium.

I think the foundation was laid back then whereby you can still add an upper extension onto that side of the stadium.
You're correct, they could extend those stands up to the level of the west side. HOK also showed how they could lower / extend the stands on both sides to create some additionall seating (mostly outside of the 30 yard lines on both sides and both ends. It wouldn’t add much but there would be more seating closer to the field.

Knight’s return was orchestrated by his adoring players, not the university in any official capacity. If his only recognition is a walk to center court at halftime of a game we lose to Purdue, that was pretty damn weak. I’ve always contended a bigger than life size bronze statue outside, in the middle of Nunn Plaza with a list of his accomplishments on a copper plaque imbedded in an artistically cut block of Salem limestone.

Your suggestion, renaming 17th St between Dunn and Fee Lane something like Knight’s Way would be very fitting.

Hell, our nemesis, PU, gets so giddy they named their stadium street after a former player, Brees Way. Their play on words sound like engineered humor. Smart move on their part, though, stroking the ego of one of their wealthiest alumni. They’ll be milking his coffers for years to come. Why can’t IU have one? When’s the last time IU named anything after a white guy? They’re too busy digging through the archives looking for reasons not to name something after any such color not in tune with times today, 150 years ago. Times were different then with morality different than today and that’s a good thing but don’t turn someone into evil today for doing something that wasn’t nearly as bad back then. I’m speaking with David Starr Jordan in mind and renaming J Hall, J Ave Parking Garage, J River and J Ave. I bet his descendents are really pissed. I would be. (NS, Sherlock)
Like I said, neither Knight nor the University will ever apologize or express regret or remorse, so what we have is likely as good as it gets for awhile.

As for Jordan, I’m not big on renaming, but his views were way out of line, regardless of when they were expressed.

Reactions: IUgradman
You're correct, they could extend those stands up to the level of the west side. HOK also showed how they could lower / extend the stands on both sides to create some additionall seating (mostly outside of the 30 yard lines on both sides and both ends. It wouldn’t add much but there would be more seating closer to the field.
Sorry, I must have missed this part. When did HOK give a presentation and to who ?

Sorry, I must have missed this part. When did HOK give a presentation and to who ?
Rick Greenspan retained them (circa 2005 or 2006) to provide an assessment of our athletic facilities footprint, as well as to offer options for the updating / expansion of both Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium. They made various recommendations, including at least four options for the update and renovation of AH and three or four for MS. I have renderings of their recommendations somewhere, which were interesting (the MS ideas offered both North end zone as well as east stand suites). The AH ideas featured lower / mid-level suites in one version, and a finishing of the permanent seating bowl (both ends) in another. What we ended up with in both venues looks nothing like the drawings from that time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT