ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Shaw Back in the Portal

Shaw has really kind of bounced around as head coaches get fired.
Recall, he was committed to Colorado and when that coach was canned, he decommitted and came to IU. Allen is fired and he’s in the portal. Commits (and enrolls) at Arizona, whose head coach leaves the program. I’m not really surprised on this. He’s not coming back here.

Reactions: red hornet
There's some Offensive Linemen from Washington in the Portal too but after watching them get mauled by the Michigan DL I think I'd rather take a chance on the AZ guys...

If I were to guess, we're looking at lineman, but on the defensive side of the ball.

We've already got 17 offensive lineman on scholarship (we're sitting at 89 scholarship players overall). Four are gonna have to leave as we stand now. Each player we would get a commit from means someone has to leave.

If I were to guess, we're looking at lineman, but on the defensive side of the ball.

We've already got 17 offensive lineman on scholarship (we're sitting at 89 scholarship players overall). Four are gonna have to leave as we stand now. Each player we would get a commit from means someone has to leave.
Can never have too many "big uglies". QB stand taller, and running backs go farther. If you want the best out of your QB provide the best line you can afford

Still wouldn't mind seeing us pick up another G/T type..., along with a DT...

We're going to lose some guys in April anyway, may as well move up the timetable and have both lines together for Spring Practice...

I think your OL numbers are off anyway... There's no way we have more than 15 Offensive Linemen currently on scholarship... (per the current official roster)

Last edited:

We're going to lose some guys in April anyway, may as well move up the timetable and have both lines together for Spring Practice...

I think your OL numbers are off anyway... There's no way we have more than 15 Offensive Linemen currently on scholarship... (per the current official roster)
You're forgetting '24 OL recruits, all of whom have yet to enroll at Indiana. Per Peegs the 17 scholarship offensive linemen for the '24 season will be:
  • Mike Katic (G/C) (Sr+)
  • Nick Kidwell (T/G) (Sr+)
  • Tyler Stephens (G/T) (Sr)
  • Trey Wedig (T/G) (Sr)
  • Noah Bolticoff (G/T) (Sr/Jr)
  • Vinny Fiacable (G/C) (Sr/Jr)
  • Cooper Jones (T) (Sr/Jr)
  • Drew Evans (G/C) (Jr/So)
  • Bray Lynch (C/G) (Jr/So)
  • Carter Smith (T) (Jr/So)
  • Austin Barrett (T) (So/Fr)
  • Tyler Jeffries (G) (So/Fr)
  • William Larkins (C/G) (So/Fr)
  • Adedamola Ajani (G) (Fr)
  • Evan Lawrence (T) (Fr)
  • Austin Leibfried (T) (Fr)
  • Mitch Verstegen (G/C) (Fr)
Excluding Ajani, Verstegen, Lawrence, and Leibfried, that leaves the 13 scholarship OL currently on the '24 roster. Walk-on Redshirt Sophomores Jack Greer, Josh Witt, Max Williams, and Redshirt Freshmen Garrett Brown and Robby Kowalewski make up the remaining OL on the roster.

Interior DL and DB is where I feel Cignetti should be looking especially since Amare Farrell and Jah Jah Boyd will be the only safeties with eligibility after the '24 season (assuming Asbury doesn't redshirt). Getting a junior transfer in the spring to play in the rotation would be helpful to bridge the gap next season.

Katic
Wedig
Stephens
Kidwell
Bolticolf
Vinny F
Smith
Barrett
Jones
Evans
Lynch
Jeffries
Larkin
4 incoming freshman

That's 17 o lineman. That's plenty on a 85 man roster.

You're forgetting '24 OL recruits, all of whom have yet to enroll at Indiana. Per Peegs the 17 scholarship offensive linemen for the '24 season will be:
  • Mike Katic (G/C) (Sr+)
  • Nick Kidwell (T/G) (Sr+)
  • Tyler Stephens (G/T) (Sr)
  • Trey Wedig (T/G) (Sr)
  • Noah Bolticoff (G/T) (Sr/Jr)
  • Vinny Fiacable (G/C) (Sr/Jr)
  • Cooper Jones (T) (Sr/Jr)
  • Drew Evans (G/C) (Jr/So)
  • Bray Lynch (C/G) (Jr/So)
  • Carter Smith (T) (Jr/So)
  • Austin Barrett (T) (So/Fr)
  • Tyler Jeffries (G) (So/Fr)
  • William Larkins (C/G) (So/Fr)
  • Adedamola Ajani (G) (Fr)
  • Evan Lawrence (T) (Fr)
  • Austin Leibfried (T) (Fr)
  • Mitch Verstegen (G/C) (Fr)
Excluding Ajani, Verstegen, Lawrence, and Leibfried, that leaves the 13 scholarship OL currently on the '24 roster. Walk-on Redshirt Sophomores Jack Greer, Josh Witt, Max Williams, and Redshirt Freshmen Garrett Brown and Robby Kowalewski make up the remaining OL on the roster.

Interior DL and DB is where I feel Cignetti should be looking especially since Amare Farrell and Jah Jah Boyd will be the only safeties with eligibility after the '24 season (assuming Asbury doesn't redshirt). Getting a junior transfer in the spring to play in the rotation would be helpful to bridge the gap next season.
You're correct...

However, it's my impression that he was speaking of those who are on campus at the moment, not the group that will be here for Fall Camp (and it's my understanding that is when the 85 scholarship number comes online as a hard cut off #...).

In my opinion, it's not about numbers, it's about starters. We need a two deep of Big Ten quality starters and near starters, at minimum...

Having 3 or 4 Big Ten quality starters and another 14 or 15 guys who might be able to start for Ball State isn't good enough to get to where Cignetti says he wants to go...

At minimum, we need an OL made up of 5 players who could start for any top twenty team in the country..., along with another 5 who can rotate in as needed and play at Big Ten quality level... I think we could use one more quality OL guy to make that a reality...

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
You're correct...

However, it's my impression that he was speaking of those who are on campus at the moment, not the group that will be here for Fall Camp (and it's my understanding that is when the 85 scholarship number comes online as a hard cut off #...).

In my opinion, it's not about numbers, it's about starters. We need a two deep of Big Ten quality starters and near starters, at minimum...

Having 3 or 4 Big Ten quality starters and another 14 or 15 guys who might be able to start for Ball State isn't good enough to get to where Cignetti says he wants to go...

At minimum, we need an OL made up of 5 players who could start for any top twenty team in the country..., along with another 5 who can rotate in as needed and play at Big Ten quality level... I think we could use one more quality OL guy to make that a reality...

I don't think Cig brought in the 3 transfers he did because he thinks they are Ball State level.

Pair those 3 with Smith and Katic and that's our starters. Plus we have the returners that were coached by Bostad last year.

I think our line should be improved this year.

I don't think Cig brought in the 3 transfers he did because he thinks they are Ball State level.

Pair those 3 with Smith and Katic and that's our starters. Plus we have the returners that were coached by Bostad last year.

Hope you're right.

I'd like to see Stephens held out until the last 4 games to use his Red Shirt year... He doesn't impress me as ready from day one to compete for a starting position...

I'd still like to see us bring one more true starter in.

Hate to say it, but I think Cignetti may have oversold himself on the abilities of his JMU players in respect to their being Big Ten ready...

Hope I'm wrong and he's right...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

From the interview with Fisch it seems that CCC feels pretty good about OL but says DL is "a little thin".

Hope you're right.

I'd like to see Stephens held out until the last 4 games to use his Red Shirt year... He doesn't impress me as ready from day one to compete for a starting position...

Hate to say it, but I think Cignetti may have oversold himself on the abilities of his JMU players in respect to their being Big Ten ready...

Stephens, and I'm just going off his bio, gives us the most versatility of any of the new guys brought in.

He's started games at both tackle spots and left guard as well. He was second team last year in the Sun Belt, which doesn't play bad football.

I have to think the kid can play a little bit.

Cig is mixing in his JMU guys with a lot of proven talent from other teams as well as the guys here that stuck around. I'm giving Cig the chance to show it on the field before I start to question his actions.

You might want to check out some tape.

In my opinion, Sarratt (WR) and Horton (TE) can help us from day one... I have my doubts about the rest of them... (speaking of the JMU transfers).

Hopefully, they (the other JMU players) and he (Cignetti) prove me very wrong...

From the tape I've seen most of those guys will struggle, initially..., against Big Ten quality competition...

I still like the hire (of Cignetti) and hope he has us competitive next Fall...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

In my opinion, Sarratt (WR) and Horton (TE) can help us from day one... I have my doubts about the rest of them... (speaking of the JMU transfers).

Hopefully, they (the other JMU players) and he (Cignetti) prove me very wrong...

From the tape I've seen most of those guys will struggle, initially..., against Big Ten quality competition...

I think Stephens tucked inside at G or C, will be fine. He's not a left tackle as evidenced in the Air Force game, IMO.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Stephens, and I'm just going off his bio, gives us the most versatility of any of the new guys brought in.

He's started games at both tackle spots and left guard as well. He was second team last year in the Sun Belt, which doesn't play bad football.

I have to think the kid can play a little bit.

Cig is mixing in his JMU guys with a lot of proven talent from other teams as well as the guys here that stuck around. I'm giving Cig the chance to show it on the field before I start to question his actions.
I am skeptical But until proven wrong it is IN Cig I Trust. I do agree sometimes a guy falls through the cracks and ends up at a Group of 5 school.

Like the way Coach C delivers the info he can impart during an interview. No extra adjectives, garbage or weeds to navigate through. Still very impressed with the speed he recognized was needed to improve the roster after he landed in Bloomington. Plan your work, work your plan. Still believe he is going to need his steely resolve midway thru his 1st B1G season. Also believe PUke is in trouble in November. That's my biggest hope is to lay heavy wood to PUke.

Like the way Coach C delivers the info he can impart during an interview. No extra adjectives, garbage or weeds to navigate through. Still very impressed with the speed he recognized was needed to improve the roster after he landed in Bloomington. Plan your work, work your plan. Still believe he is going to need his steely resolve midway thru his 1st B1G season. Also believe PUke is in trouble in November. That's my biggest hope is to lay heavy wood to PUke.
His hand gestures seem weird/awkward to me when he talks. He's not getting paid for that though. Just struck me as noticeable/awkward in several instances.

Hope you're right.

I think you are probably right, but I also think the reason Cig wants these guys here is to light a competitive fire under the guys we've got already.

He's trying to build a different culture and these guys can kick-start that.

Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't hired for the transfers from JMU.

I think what we seem to be overlooking when talking about the players is the fact that Cig is bringing a whole new Offensive and Defensive philosophies than what we've been seeing.

I'm not counting on CCC bringing in top talent right away - I'm counting on him out-coaching other coaches and developing a new attitude. Knowing how to compensate for so-so talent at certain positions can go a long way.

I think Deboer is a master of that. Hopefully Cig brings a little of that kind of magic.

Until the season starts and a couple of games are finish we really can't say who will work out and who won't. I trust Cignetti to know what he needs for this team and having coaches that have worked with him for several years helps him know what this team needs.

...+ he very much appears to base all player evaluations on results...pretty sure he will not hesitate to shuffle his game card of rotational players by pulling improving practice players up as he identifies them... best producing talent will always be on the field for game snaps...

Either CCC 2.0 doesn't seem too worried about where production came from (P5, G5, etc) when looking at the transfer portal or he wasn't able to attract many productive players from the P5 level.

What we can say for certain is that he thinks productive players from G5 are preferable to benchwarmers from P5.

There is still some risk in the strategy because you don't know how players will do against better competition but it seems like a solid plan and CCC 2.0 has done it before everywhere he has gone so seems to be good strategery :)

Last edited:
Either CCC 2.0 doesn't seem too worried about where production came from (P5, G5, etc) when looking at the transfer portal or he was able to attract many productive players from the P5 level.

What we can say for certain is that he thinks productive players from G5 are preferable to benchwarmers from P5.

There is still some risk in the strategy because you don't know how players will do against better competition but it seems like a solid plan and CCC 2.0 has done it before everywhere he has gone so seems to be good strategery :)
IU had the Ivy league WR do well so we know lower level players can perform at the B1G level. It is tougher for the guys upfront but they can do it too with the right coaching.

I think Stephens tucked inside at G or C, will be fine. He's not a left tackle as evidenced in the Air Force game, IMO.
I'd like to see him given the extra edge of a Red Shirt year (along with anyone else who that might be applicable to); giving him an extra couple of months of bulking up strength and conditioning, along with specific technique coaching and then attempting to utilize he and the rest of the Red Shirts for 4 of the last 5 games of next (2024) season... They might help us and even if they don't, they'll learn what they need to work on to be ready to play in 2025...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT