ADVERTISEMENT

F1 - 2024 Season

I think Merc are purposefully sacrificing one lap pace for race pace

The “anti” Ferrari
You think? I thought it was weird that Ferrari sacrificed the last qualifying lap for Leclerc to save that set of softs for the race. Big brain move, or Ferrari blunder?

Hell, watch them not even use them tomorrow.

You think? I thought it was weird that Ferrari sacrificed the last qualifying lap for Leclerc to save that set of softs for the race. Big brain move, or Ferrari blunder?

Hell, watch them not even use them tomorrow.
I didn’t know you could take the “extra” Q3 set to the race. I can’t recall anyone not actually using them.

I didn’t know you could take the “extra” Q3 set to the race. I can’t recall anyone not actually using them.

You're allocated 13 sets of dry tires per race weekend. Two sets of hards, three sets of mediums, and eight sets of softs. You can use them whenever you wish. By not going out for that last run, Ferrari saved their last fresh set of soft tires for the race. They all have used softs, but fresh softs are just that much better.

Reactions: FrankTGucker
Right….but the Q3 guys get an extra pair of softs on top of the allocation. I just didn’t realize you could take them to the race. Leclerc’s team didn’t save anymore tires…they’re just taking the extra set to the race.

Right….but the Q3 guys get an extra pair of softs on top of the allocation. I just didn’t realize you could take them to the race. Leclerc’s team didn’t save anymore tires…they’re just taking the extra set to the race.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah. I think Mercedes did the same thing. My understanding is that it's just an extra set of tires they get for getting into Q3 (since it stands to reason youy'd need more tires with an extra session) but you're not obligated to use them in Q3.

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah. I think Mercedes did the same thing. My understanding is that it's just an extra set of tires they get for getting into Q3 (since it stands to reason youy'd need more tires with an extra session) but you're not obligated to use them in Q3.
Shorter Lando a few moments ago: I have a lousy car.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
That'd be OK with me. Honestly, I could see Max winning 16 races this season. I think it's going to be a romp. Unless Mercedes is hiding something I don't see anyone challenging. I'm not buying into the Aston Martin thing yet.

Scratch that. I meant to say 22 races.

EDIT: I mean, when even Perez is putting 15 seconds on Leclerc this season is over.

Last edited:
  • Sad
I have a raging Alonzoboner

I was happy to see Alonso get past Sainz for the podium. I'm annoyed by Sainz. He's a guy who just coasts around and picks up scraps when Ferrari ****s Charles over. He never actually outraces Charles.

He's like me in iRacing. I can't win unless bad shit happens to the guys up front.

I was happy to see Alonso get past Sainz for the podium. I'm annoyed by Sainz. He's a guy who just coasts around and picks up scraps when Ferrari ****s Charles over. He never actually outraces Charles.

He's like me in iRacing. I can't win unless bad shit happens to the guys up front.
Charl is just that much better IMO. Sainz is what he is. A lifer #2.

The second Alonzo got past Hamilton you knew Sainz was toast

The second Alonzo got past Hamilton you knew Sainz was toast

I thought Hamilton was going to get Sainz as well. He had a chance, but when he didn't get past after a couple of tries his tires were shot and that was that. Even though I'm a Ferrari fan I was rooting for Hamilton to take him. Because screw Sainz.

I thought Hamilton was going to get Sainz as well. He had a chance, but when he didn't get past after a couple of tries his tires were shot and that was that. Even though I'm a Ferrari fan I was rooting for Hamilton to take him. Because screw Sainz.
Pretty clear Sainz will never even be the best driver in his own family let alone Formula One.

Good drives from Gasly and Bottas today. Would like to see Gasly beat the brakes off Ocon this season

Pretty clear Sainz will never even be the best driver in his own family let alone Formula One.

Good drives from Gasly and Bottas today. Would like to see Gasly beat the brakes off Ocon this season

The problem with Sainz, and why I dislike him, is that he doesn't accept his place. He wants to be the #1 guy. Which I guess is understandable, but he ends up not being a good teammate to Leclerc in the sense that he's all out for Carlos. And now of course he's leading Leclerc in points, so just more reason for him to consider himself to be #1.

The problem with Sainz, and why I dislike him, is that he doesn't accept his place. He wants to be the #1 guy. Which I guess is understandable, but he ends up not being a good teammate to Leclerc in the sense that he's all out for Carlos. And now of course he's leading Leclerc in points, so just more reason for him to consider himself to be #1.
What % of this is on Ferrari in your opinion? They’ve been public saying they don’t have a 1 & 2.

The direction over at Red Bull is pretty clear. They prefer to have their #2 have to constantly look over their shoulder at someone (now RIC) that can step in and take their job.

Reactions: larsIU
What % of this is on Ferrari in your opinion? They’ve been public saying they don’t have a 1 & 2.

The direction over at Red Bull is pretty clear. They prefer to have their #2 have to constantly look over their shoulder at someone (now RIC) that can step in and take their job.

I think Carlos' dad has a lot of pull. Apparently it was that way when Carlos was teammates with Max back with Toro Rosso and there was a lot of friction between Sainz Sr. and Verstappen Sr. Of course, now Ferrari has Santander (Spanish) as a major sponsor so they prpobably don't want to come out and declare Sainz as a #2. There's a lot of politics in F1.

One thing we do know. The championship is over.

But the Hamilton, Alonso, Stroll (barf), Russell escapades could be fun. Throw in another F1.5 team (McLaren or?) and it could be really good.

But boys, you remember 2020? Or 2000-2002? This season will be even more boring

Leclerc might already have an engine penalty in Saudi. The ES blew on Sunday, and apparently they changed the original pre-race. Only get 2 per year.

• Wow
Leclerc might already have an engine penalty in Saudi. The ES blew on Sunday, and apparently they changed the original pre-race. Only get 2 per year.

Leclerc needs to be in therapy. And he needs to be in touch with his agent.

Also, Ferrari lost a key member (car designer last 2 years) to Mclaren.

I saw an interesting couple of comments on Reddit regarding the exit of Sanchez, Ferrari's head of aerodynamics. The speculation is that Leclerc was quite displeased with him during testing and the two were quite at odds with the balance of the car. Leclerc, like Verstappen, prefers a "pointy" front end, that is a car prone to oversteer. Such a car is best for a truly quick driver. Sainz on the other have prefers a car with understeer which is easier to handle. Word is that last season the balance was changed a bit mid-season to more suit Carlos.

Fast forward to 2023 and Binotto is gone, and Vasseur is at the helm. Vasseur and Leclerc go back to Sauber together. Charles is Vasseur's guy. I'm going to speculate that Charles is going to get the car that Charles wants. So maybe Sanchez departing makes sense. Speculation, of course, but this might not be a bad thing (in the long run) for Leclerc. It could signal a power shift in his favor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT