ADVERTISEMENT

Excellence Academy now 50% complete...

Wilber was the best,,,man has a perfect ear and the band was disciplined...Ray Cramer was the man though.

I have read and heard from people outside IU that Ray Cramer was as highly respected nationally as anyone. I wonder why he never did what Ohio St does with their band. He had better talent to work with.

Back in the early 70s, I used to scramble over the fence on the north side to get into the games. No angled barbed wire.
Yeah that’s the thing. Looking back at old pictures, they clearly added that at some point in the 80s or 90s. Brilliant!

It was the same design as Va. Tech., then the Hokies started
adding on.

Worst part was the different heights of the two sides. I know the original plan was to have both sides the same height.....how lazy was it to just cut off 1/3 from the East side rather than to redesign for the same height......geez

I think the stadium is kinda eccentric now, what with the 4 distinct sections......it all goes together pretty well though.

I'd like to see a new, bigger press box....it's always seemed disproportional to me.....one of you guys needs to give $20M or so.

Do we know what the renovated players’ lounge and locker rooms will look like?

Worst part was the different heights of the two sides. I know the original plan was to have both sides the same height.....how lazy was it to just cut off 1/3 from the East side rather than to redesign for the same height......geez

I think the stadium is kinda eccentric now, what with the 4 distinct sections......it all goes together pretty well though.

I'd like to see a new, bigger press box....it's always seemed disproportional to me.....one of you guys needs to give $20M or so.

I agree with the updating of the press box. The ultimate project I would like to see is luxury suites across the top of the east side of the stadium. It will take some consistent winning seasons and some bucks. Maybe in my lifetime???

Do we know what the renovated players’ lounge and locker rooms will look like?
Not yet. That won’t start until they move the stuff from the current Hoosier Room and sports medicine offices next to the locker room over to the south end zone this summer.
I agree with the updating of the press box. The ultimate project I would like to see is luxury suites across the top of the east side of the stadium. It will take some consistent winning seasons and some bucks. Maybe in my lifetime???
We are adding a large club area (which will also be the new athletes training table) and separate suite in the south end zone, in addition to the current stadium club and suites in the press box, but I agree. That would be a nice project. Glass has said a new press box is in the long-term plans, but there were things he wanted to get done first.

This is the space that will be vacated to add on to the locker room and create a larger players lounge. It’s a significant addition:

2zia4ci.jpg

Reactions: IUgradman
They’re putting in four more ADA seating platforms: two on the west side and two on the east side. They’re removing some seats to do so. They aren’t great pictures (at all), but it’s the off-season and there’s not much going on.

Other ADA renovations include remodeling the concession stands and restrooms (troughs are gone) and some improvements to the press box and current stadium club/suites.

Reactions: vesuvius13
They’re putting in four more ADA seating platforms: two on the west side and two on the east side. They’re removing some seats to do so. They aren’t great pictures (at all), but it’s the off-season and there’s not much going on.

Other ADA renovations include remodeling the concession stands and restrooms (troughs are gone) and some improvements to the press box and current stadium club/suites.
Any idea approximately how many seats will be removed?

I know not pc to ask but why do they have to put all ADH additional seating in prime season ticket locations? Going to move quite a few more people then it will help. Could have been easy to place in non long time season ticket holder area or why not design into SEZ addition where it wouldn’t cost as much or displace anyone?

I know not pc to ask but why do they have to put all ADH additional seating in prime season ticket locations? Going to move quite a few more people then it will help. Could have been easy to place in non long time season ticket holder area or why not design into SEZ addition where it wouldn’t cost as much or displace anyone?

It’s not likely going to cost all that much, and it would at worst displace some people by a row or 2

It’s not likely going to cost all that much, and it would at worst displace some people by a row or 2
I didn’t know how many it would affect nor t
Do i know how long those ticket season holders have put in to get to those seats. Not an expert but usually it takes more than a row or two to convert . Just seems odd given addition opportunity to include in new construction.

Do i know how long those ticket season holders have put in to get to those seats. Not an expert but usually it takes more than a row or two to convert . Just seems odd given addition opportunity to include in new construction.
They’re removing three rows in four sections.

In addition, putting them into the south end zone would require going up an elevator. Putting them where they’re putting them now, you can just go straight to your seats through the regular entryways like in the north end zone. And the restrooms and concessions right outside the entryway will be accessible.

The SEZ will be fully accessible, but the roof will require an elevator to get to and you have to have access to the club area to get to the outdoor accessible seating on the concourse level.

Last edited:
They’re removing three rows in four sections.
Just curious as to gate choice as move out another entrance or two and wouldn’t affect as many season ticket holders. At 3 rows, 4 sections I’m guessing that’s around 300 season ticket seats. RBB you have a great grasp on all things stadium, have you seen anyone else put that many in similar locations?

If you're going to do ADA right, the whole idea is to integrate those accommodations into the general seating areas, and not be concerned with how it might impact the able bodied. You shouldn't stick them in corners or end zones. IMO, they're doing this very very well. I'm surprised (and disappointed) they didn't do something similar with the revamp of SSAH.

Note: I'm probably more attuned to this issue than most. My wife has worked in the disabilities accommodations/assistance field for a number of years. She's not crazy radical about it, but has made me aware of the easily rectified barriers that the disabled have to face every day.

If you're going to do ADA right, the whole idea is to integrate those accommodations into the general seating areas, and not be concerned with how it might impact the able bodied. You shouldn't stick them in corners or end zones. IMO, they're doing this very very well. I'm surprised (and disappointed) they didn't do something similar with the revamp of SSAH.

Note: I'm probably more attuned to this issue than most. My wife has worked in the disabilities accommodations/assistance field for a number of years. She's not crazy radical about it, but has made me aware of the easily rectified barriers that the disabled have to face every day.
They do have limited access seating that they reserve right off the entryways in the main levels at AH. My wife was on a knee scooter and they gave her a wheelchair, kept it out of the way for her, and took her wherever she needed to go. I imagine because it’s so steep that it might be kind of difficult to make a proper seating platform up there, but I’m not an expert on it. They did add more ADA seating behind the baskets, but if they could somehow put it in the main level, I’d like to see that too. Especially since all the restrooms in the building now are accessible.

There was actually an article about who they consulted with for that type of stuff, but I can’t find it at the moment.

They do have limited access seating that they reserve right off the entryways in the main levels at AH.
I hadn't seen anything like that. Are these wheelchair access? Or do they just reserve those seats and you have to transfer into them?
They did add more ADA seating behind the baskets, but if they could somehow put it in the main level, I’d like to see that too.
That's kinda my point. Better than nothing, but seats behind the basket at the top of the bleachers isn't what I'd consider fully integrating the disabled into the general SSAH fan experience.

Just to be clear, I’m certainly sympathetic as disabled face many obstacles most take for granted. I’m just also sympathetic to the fans that pay a huge amount of money over long periods of time just to work their way in to the point of having seats at those gates/row level. 300+ affected just seems like a lot when at least a combination of options exist. Like I said, I know not necessarily pc and no offense intended.

You're certainly more attuned to it than I am. I see nothing wrong with how it is handled in AH. And I would be concerned about how it would impact the able-bodied.

And I'm pretty sure that if my butt was in a wheelchair I wouldn't expect 4 or 5 people to be evicted from their seats so that I would have the best seat in the house.

...sympathetic to the fans that pay a huge amount of money over long periods of time just to work their way in to the point of having seats at those gates/row level. 300+ affected just seems like a lot when at least a combination of options exist.
It's a balancing act, there's no question. I think Fred has found the right balance. YMMV.

Just to be clear, I’m certainly sympathetic as disabled face many obstacles most take for granted. I’m just also sympathetic to the fans that pay a huge amount of money over long periods of time just to work their way in to the point of having seats at those gates/row level. 300+ affected just seems like a lot when at least a combination of options exist. Like I said, I know not necessarily pc and no offense intended.

Another way to think is that it is also disrupting a fairly short lived status quo. Generally I think season ticket location is always in a state of flux, people dropping/adding tickets to their allotment, moving up when seats open up, etc. In essence it’s most likely that people being displaced haven’t been there all that long and/or wouldn’t be there much longer anyway. So in essence if you are going to add accessible seating, you might as well choose the most ideal location as if you starting from scratch. In this case, it appears the primary consideration was the easiest route to the seating location

Another way to think is that it is also disrupting a fairly short lived status quo. Generally I think season ticket location is always in a state of flux, people dropping/adding tickets to their allotment, moving up when seats open up, etc. In essence it’s most likely that people being displaced haven’t been there all that long and/or wouldn’t be there much longer anyway. So in essence if you are going to add accessible seating, you might as well choose the most ideal location as if you starting from scratch. In this case, it appears the primary consideration was the easiest route to the seating location

This is not true. In football you can opt to keep your current seats each year. I know some people that can barely walk but do not need or want to use a wheel chair. They have spent years in seats in one of these locations because they cannot get up and down the stairs. They are being displaced out of their seats and have no idea where they may be able to land seats next year. Not good for these folks. I would not be surprised to see them drop their season tickets if they cannot get seats near an exit again, which of course will be pretty hard to come by with all the displaced people vying for them.

This is not true. In football you can opt to keep your current seats each year. I know some people that can barely walk but do not need or want to use a wheel chair. They have spent years in seats in one of these locations because they cannot get up and down the stairs. They are being displaced out of their seats and have no idea where they may be able to land seats next year. Not good for these folks. I would not be surprised to see them drop their season tickets if they cannot get seats near an exit again, which of course will be pretty hard to come by with all the displaced people vying for them.
Why don’t they just sit where they usually sit, except now it will be on a platform and they can use a folding chair if they really don’t want to use a wheelchair? You don’t have to use a wheelchair to sit in the ADA section. It’s for people with limited mobility. They literally don’t have to move. If they request that, I’m sure they will let them sit there. They also do have other limited mobility seats in the bleachers, right off the entryway. I know this because I’ve purchased them. There’s zero reason for them to give up their tickets without even trying to call first.

We’re talking about a total of 12 rows here. And it’s not like those 12 rows go all the way around the stadium. Certain things have to be brought up to code, and you can’t just stick them up by the press box.

Why don’t they just sit where they usually sit, except now it will be on a platform and they can use a folding chair if they really don’t want to use a wheelchair? You don’t have to use a wheelchair to sit in the ADA section. It’s for people with limited mobility. They literally don’t have to move. If they request that, I’m sure they will let them sit there. They also do have other limited mobility seats in the bleachers, right off the entryway. I know this because I’ve purchased them. There’s zero reason for them to give up their tickets without even trying to call first.

We’re talking about a total of 12 rows here. And it’s not like those 12 rows go all the way around the stadium. Certain things have to be brought up to code, and you can’t just stick them up by the press box.
I don't know what they will do. I will suggest they call the ticket office and see if they can work something out. They don't use handicap parking stickers or anything like that either because they don't want to take away from people of "real need." These are very nice but meek folks that do not push. I'll make the suggestion.

Will fake service dogs be allowed? I swear there are two on every plane I get on.

I am glad they are doing this, but the number seems disproportionate.

North end zone just below the red club seats, and at field level on both the east and west sides. Those will remain. The field level areas are being improved as well.

field level pretty much sucks for someone actually wanting to view the game, though i can see other advantages it offers.

obviously the handicapped need accommodated, and easy access makes sense since wheelchairs don't do steps all that well.

for those who had those seats last yr who will be moved out, seems like the administration could attempt to make things right by them by throwing them enough points to keep them happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT