ADVERTISEMENT

PFF projects 7 W's

We would need to play 17 teams for a full rotation.

We have 8 conference games per year but i think we have a protected rival game still.

So I think we play each other every year and then 7 other teams each year.

So it will take 2 years to get through 14 of 16 non-rivalry teams...meaning a rotation of just longer than every other year (every once a while you would get 2 years off from a team)
Purdue also has a protected vs Illinois. Some schools have two and I want to say msu has 3 protected rivals. Idk. It’s weird. And it will get more weird with Texas A&M and ND join.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Purdue also has a protected vs Illinois. Some schools have two and I want to say msu has 3 protected rivals. Idk. It’s weird. And it will get more weird with Texas A&M and ND join.

then the rotation just gets slower for non-protected teams. Not sure if we have any other protected games.

Wouldn't be shocked if they push for a "Champions" league and "not so champions" league and run it like soccer in Europe where top teams in lower bracket move up, and bottom teams from upper bracket move down.

But then again that setup wouldn't allow the Champions league teams to pad their record for the playoffs.

We have 8 conference games per year but i think we have a protected rival game still.

So I think we play each other every year and then 7 other teams each year.

So it will take 2 years to get through 14 of 16 non-rivalry teams...meaning a rotation of just longer than every other year (every once a while you would get 2 years off from a team)
They BIG plays 9 conference games per year now, but the protected rivalry games will keep it from being an exact 2 year rotation.

However, there is absolutely no doubt that the fact that East/Wear is gone benefits the East in a major way. And hurts the west. Purdue will have more that 6 matchups vs Michigan and Ohio St in the next decade.

then the rotation just gets slower for non-protected teams. Not sure if we have any other protected games.

Wouldn't be shocked if they push for a "Champions" league and "not so champions" league and run it like soccer in Europe where top teams in lower bracket move up, and bottom teams from upper bracket move down.

But then again that setup wouldn't allow the Champions league teams to pad their record for the playoffs.
I’d love that, but ya, have no idea how you could make it work. And what do you do when Wisconsin wins the lower league with 10 wins. Do they make a bowl over USC who has 5 wins in the upper? I do think divisions show up at some point. Or a pod system of sorts

I’d love that, but ya, have no idea how you could make it work. And what do you do when Wisconsin wins the lower league with 10 wins. Do they make a bowl over USC who has 5 wins in the upper? I do think divisions show up at some point. Or a pod system of sorts
At that point, the playoffs would have every team from Big Ten and SEC lol

BEFORE

West only played OSU/Michigan/PSU on a rotation (I think roughly once every 3 years???)
East played them every year

NOW

Every team has to play them roughly every other year.

Your frequency of playing them increases whereas our frequency of playing them goes down.
The schedule's are absolutely more balanced now. Thats for sure.

We have 9 conference games per year but i think we have a protected rival game still.

So I think we play each other every year and then 8 other teams each year.

So that would make it playing teams every other year. if teams have multiple protected teams/games then the rotation slows down

EDIT: Updated with 9 conference games
I think I recall Iowa having like 3 protected games.

Doesn’t matter anyway, there’ll be 24 teams in the Big 10 before they get through the first scheduling cycle. (Only partly TIC).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT