ADVERTISEMENT

End of game coaching

Yes.
And its bc theyre getting lucky and nobody sees a problem with that. Posters are being misled for a skilled team down the right path at Indiana expectations and eventually a reality chek will be in oder.
From the guy that said Cody Zeller “flopped” around while running down the court. You have no credibility here, just give your incessant whining a rest.

Last edited:
What amuses me is unpaid ‘armchair quarterbacks’ can watch from home and realize strategy or lack of that an ‘expert’ being paid $3.5 million is unable to see...

It has angered me the previous 2 seasons...but apathy sets in...and amusement takes its place...
For being apathetic, you do a great job of being angry.

Give the joker a participation trophy so he works harder. Lol! You’re killing me.
No, give the upperclassmen who has the most game experience on the team the responsibility for closing a game. That’s sending the message to the younger guys that they will be expected to do the same when they are at that point in their career. Archie is trying to build a program, not just beat Notre Dame.

No, give the upperclassmen who has the most game experience on the team the responsibility for closing a game. That’s sending the message to the younger guys that they will be expected to do the same when they are at that point in their career. Archie is trying to build a program, not just beat Notre Dame.

Seniors, juniors, or sophomores, freshman. IU plays the game to win, so why not get the ball in the hands of your best free throw shooters in an obvious end of game fouling situation? Archie either had a brain freeze at the end of the game, or he doesn’t coach/practice for this scenario. Go Hoosiers

Last edited:
He didn’t “fail his team” he missed a one and one. Shit happens.
He can't shoot after 3 years of potential shooting skill improvement at IU.
Yes, he failed his team and could have cost his team the game.

Smith may be the worst FT shooter on the roster, you so not pass the ball to him who then misses on cue.

Class does not matter! This not football. 1st string vs 2nd string. All players play. You put your best shooters on the floor for the last FT regardless of class. Smith is not one of the top 5 shooters and should have been on the bench.

Putting Smith at the line with 3 seconds left is a win/win situation. Your best passer is inbounding the ball, worst thing to happen would be a turnover on that end. Defense doesn’t expect Smith to receive the pass, they were looking for him to screen away. If he makes the free throws it builds confidence, if he misses Coach has shown trust in him. ND has 3 seconds to heave a half court shot that goes in 2% of the time. Not to mention that you don’t see practice! The coaches on the bench are at a little higher level of bball knowledge than you dimwits.

Putting Smith at the line with 3 seconds left is a win/win situation. Your best passer is inbounding the ball, worst thing to happen would be a turnover on that end. Defense doesn’t expect Smith to receive the pass, they were looking for him to screen away. If he makes the free throws it builds confidence, if he misses Coach has shown trust in him. ND has 3 seconds to heave a half court shot that goes in 2% of the time. Not to mention that you don’t see practice! The coaches on the bench are at a little higher level of bball knowledge than you dimwits.

ND wasn’t surprised Smith got the ball. They let him get the ball because he was the worst free throw shooter in the game. It was a poor coaching decision to have Smith in the game and in that spot. Even the great Archie Miller makes mistakes;)

Last edited:
Wow! That’s awesome. Thank you for enlightening a whole bunch of us who apparently have been watching games wrong for 50+ years. Any chance you could help us know when Smith’s newly instilled confidence is going to manifest itself in something other than 2-10 shooting performances? I’m all of a sudden incredibly excited to see our new team play again!

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Wow! That’s awesome. Thank you for enlightening a whole bunch of us who apparently have been watching games wrong for 50+ years. Any chance you could help us know when Smith’s newly instilled confidence is going to manifest itself in something other than 2-10 shooting performances? I’m all of a sudden incredibly excited to see our new team play again!
ND wasn’t surprised Smith got the ball. They let him get the ball because he was the worst free throw shooter in the game. It was a poor coaching decision to have Smith in the game and in that spot. Even the great Archie Miller makes mistakes;)

The dudes a dumbass

I hope you can learn something in the next 50+ years.

They “let” him get an inbounds pass with 3 seconds left? So defensively you would choose a half court shot instead of denying an inbound pass and forcing a turnover? Lol
Good stuff.

They “let” him get an inbounds pass with 3 seconds left? So defensively you would choose a half court shot instead of denying an inbound pass and forcing a turnover? Lol
Good stuff.

Go back and watch it. The defender is behind Smith and he lets him go get the ball.

Last edited:
It is so obvious that you have never played or coached anything that it’s painful to watch you flop around on this board. Just keep bitching about things you know nothing about.
Your post was so devoid of any substance that it’s obvious you’ve never played or watched anything beyond elementary school hoops. You’re getting shredded for a bunch of really good reasons.

Last edited:
If ND let him get the ball they are poorly coached. Their only real hope was preventing the inbounds play. Getting it safely in meant near certain victory for IU no matter who ND fouled.

If ND let him get the ball they are poorly coached. Their only real hope was preventing the inbounds play. Getting it safely in meant near certain victory for IU no matter who ND fouled.

I agree that Brey screwed up. I’m not sure why they weren’t face guarding. I went back and watched it a couple of times and Smith’s man was a step or two behind him. If they weren’t going to face guard then they should have at least taken the defender off of Phin and had him take the first cutter.

Last edited:
I hope you can learn something in the next 50+ years.
Can’t help but notice there’s no answer. Even so, I can’t wait to see Smith show tremendous improvement because ol Arch showed him some confidence. This will be great.

Can’t help but notice there’s no answer. Even so, I can’t wait to see Smith show tremendous improvement because ol Arch showed him some confidence. This will be great.
Well, he is averaging 12 points and 5 rebounds per game while shooting 52%. It’s pretty normal for a college player to have an off game or two, god forbid. I hope this helps answer your question and you gain a little more knowledge from the experience. I will get off your lawn now.

Reactions: MrBing
He wasn't the one inbounding the ball and you have no clue what he called or wanted. Not every mistake is a coaching mistake and not every successful play is coaching genius. Unless you are in that huddle you have no clue what the staff wanted. And if you don't actually know, why are you speaking?

No our better FT shooting PG, who is also by far our best and most steady ball-handler was inbounding the ball. I think this is a legit question. I don't remember which game it was last year, but I do recall a similar end of game scenario where RP inbounded to JS in a critical situation and he nearly threw the ball away. It's a head-scratcher to me.

Well, he is averaging 12 points and 5 rebounds per game while shooting 52%. It’s pretty normal for a college player to have an off game or two, god forbid. I hope this helps answer your question and you gain a little more knowledge from the experience. I will get off your lawn now.
Wait isn't 2 for 10 every game 20%? Someone better check, that stat is flawed. Our king of hyperbole naysayers would never be wrong in there constant quest to trash the program and players.

Reactions: Cutter1973
No our better FT shooting PG, who is also by far our best and most steady ball-handler was inbounding the ball. I think this is a legit question. I don't remember which game it was last year, but I do recall a similar end of game scenario where RP inbounded to JS in a critical situation and he nearly threw the ball away. It's a head-scratcher to me.
Fair point but we have also had a couple incidents inbounding the ball recently so I understand wanting to put that chore in the hands of someone your most comfortable with. As people have pointed out once the ball is successfully inbounded there is a very high probability the game is won.

Reactions: MrBing
Showing confidence in him will magically make him a better FT shooter... Lol.
Smith is a 50% or less FT shooter for his career.
This season I thought he was showing some improvement early in the season, but missing the front end of 1 and 1's is like a turnover.
Smith should not even be on the court receiving the inbounds pass. Smith should be on the bench or passing the ball in bounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23
Showing confidence in him will magically make him a better FT shooter... Lol.
Smith is a 50% or less FT shooter for his career.
This season I thought he was showing some improvement early in the season, but missing the front end of 1 and 1's is like a turnover.
Smith should not even be on the court receiving the inbounds pass. Smith should be on the bench or passing the ball inbounds.

60%. Not great but he's been much improved from last year.

It's not uncommon for a team's best shooter to inbound the ball, especially when the other team isn't guarding the inbounder, because it's an easy pass right back to the guy who inbounded the ball. Not sure if that was Archie's original plan and it simply wasn't executed but it's not uncommon at all.

Reactions: Al Bino and MrBing
He wasn't the one inbounding the ball and you have no clue what he called or wanted. Not every mistake is a coaching mistake and not every successful play is coaching genius. Unless you are in that huddle you have no clue what the staff wanted. And if you don't actually know, why are you speaking?
But, let's assume the play that unfolded is exactly what CAM drew up in the huddle. If so, then the ball came into an 84.4 percent free-throw shooter, who has attempted the third-most free throws for IU, this season.

See? This is what makes this board so valuable. And here all along I agreed with common wisdom of inbounding to your best ball-handlers and FT shooters. Who wants a 4-5 pt lead at that point and make them cover the full 94' ? Man, do I feel stupid!

Reactions: snarlcakes and mk23
60%. Not great but he's been much improved from last year.

It's not uncommon for a team's best shooter to inbound the ball, especially when the other team isn't guarding the inbounder, because it's an easy pass right back to the guy who inbounded the ball. Not sure if that was Archie's original plan and it simply wasn't executed but it's not uncommon at all.
But if a poor FT shooter is on the court, the defense should immediately foul the poor FT shooter, even if he doesn't have the ball. Let the poor FT shooter miss, get the rebound and have the ball back to possibly win the game.

I'm sorry, Smith shot 51% FT last season.
giphy.gif

I'm sorry, Smith shot 51% FT last season.
1) 51.4% is greater than 50%, not less than or equal to.
2) That is a season, not his career.
3) That is last season, not this season.

Just own that you made up a stat and were shown to be wrong. Last season he shot 70 FT and so far this season he's already shot 55 while making only 1 less than last season so it's not as if a low number of attempts is inflating his season percentage. In fact, looking at the numbers for his career, it looks like last season was the aberration, not this season since he also shot over 60% his freshman year.

It's funny, you're usually so rah rah rah and say players are better than they are. So why do you choose Smith do just the opposite to?

Fact of the matter is IU should have never allowed ND a breath to get back in to begin with.
Had they not, this wouldnt even be being discussed.
Trying to solve problems backwards

See? This is what makes this board so valuable. And here all along I agreed with common wisdom of inbounding to your best ball-handlers and FT shooters. Who wants a 4-5 pt lead at that point and make them cover the full 94' ? Man, do I feel stupid!
With 3 seconds left inbounding the ball is the first and primary priority. Who shoots the free throw is secondary. If Smith inbounded to Rob P and commited a turnover you would be complaining that the best passer should be inbounding the ball.

Why in the world would Archie inbound the ball to Smith, who everyone knew would be fouled immediately (and proceeded to clank the free throw). Green was not even in the game! You’ld Archie would want the ball inbounded to Rob, Al or Green. Not Smith.

It’s stuff like this that really makes me wonder about Archie. Geez!
All that needed to be done was get the ball in to seal the win. Not hard.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
All that needed to be done was get the ball in to seal the win. Not hard.
No, you make the free throws to seal the win. And you make sure you inbound the ball to someone who reasonably can hit the free throws. That wasn’t Smith, and he never should’ve been put in that position. Merely getting the ball in was only part of the equation. It’s not even close.

Last edited:
This is the right answer. When the ball was in I told my wife the game was over whether he made the FT or not. There was just not enough time for ND to get a reasonable shot after getting the ball back on the miss or after a second miss. If Smith made both even better. The chances had to be almost 100 percent that IU would win after getting the ball in even after missing the first. I was imagining my coach yelling just get it in and we win!

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
No, you make the free throws to seal the win. And you make sure you inbound the ball to someone who reasonably can hit the free throws. That wasn’t Smith, and he never should’ve been put in that position.
We'd love to have a 90% FT shooter get it but getting the ball in effectively sealed the win. That was the most important thing and it's not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT