ADVERTISEMENT

End of game coaching

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
Why in the world would Archie inbound the ball to Smith, who everyone knew would be fouled immediately (and proceeded to clank the free throw). Green was not even in the game! You’ld Archie would want the ball inbounded to Rob, Al or Green. Not Smith.

It’s stuff like this that really makes me wonder about Archie. Geez!

Why in the world would Archie inbound the ball to Smith, who everyone knew would be fouled immediately (and proceeded to clank the free throw). Green was not even in the game! You’ld Archie would want the ball inbounded to Rob, Al or Green. Not Smith.

He wasn't the one inbounding the ball and you have no clue what he called or wanted. Not every mistake is a coaching mistake and not every successful play is coaching genius. Unless you are in that huddle you have no clue what the staff wanted. And if you don't actually know, why are you speaking?

The last two games, Archie has made mass substitutions that lost our momentum. We regained it today, but I hope he has learned you can't replace 3 players when things are going well.

You also don't leave Durham in the game when he has had several bad games in a row and others were playing better.

You also need Green in the game and you don't have Smith near the ball.

I hope Archie reflects back on the last 2 games and shortens the rotation and the subbing frequency. He is better than this.

In this case I agree with the OP. As we were lining up for the in bounds, I saw Phinese taking it out, First thought was...damn, I'd rather have Rob at the line in a few seconds. Then i saw Smith standing off to the side, closest to the ball. Next thought was...Justin has had a horrible shooting game today, hasn't shot a free throw today, and has always struggled at the line. Surely he's not option A....but he was. And he proceeds to brick the first free throw.

We won the game, and I'll take it. But Rob, Durham or Green should be at the line with 3 seconds left.

Great effort by Brunk today, and Franklin was our MVP, basically won the game for us. Aside from him, our guards sucked and Smith pulled another vanishing act. And we got next to nothing from our bench (aside from Franklin). DeRon can't stay on the court 1 minute without picking up 2 fouls. Luckily ND couldn't throw it in the ocean during the first half.

In this case I agree with the OP. As we were lining up for the in bounds, I saw Phinese taking it out, First thought was...damn, I'd rather have Rob at the line in a few seconds. Then i saw Smith standing off to the side, closest to the ball. Next thought was...Justin has had a horrible shooting game today, hasn't shot a free throw today, and has always struggled at the line. Surely he's not option A....but he was. And he proceeds to brick the first free throw.

We won the game, and I'll take it. But Rob, Durham or Green should be at the line with 3 seconds left.

Great effort by Brunk today, and Franklin was our MVP, basically won the game for us. Aside from him, our guards sucked and Smith pulled another vanishing act. And we got next to nothing from our bench (aside from Franklin). DeRon can't stay on the court 1 minute without picking up 2 fouls. Luckily ND couldn't throw it in the ocean during the first half.
Franklin was a huge surprise. Hope he builds on this.

It was a bad play call. Smith shouldn’t have been in the game or at the very least not in that spot. The defender did exactly what he should have done. Let him go get the ball. Luckily it didn’t hurt us.

I have to agree. I couldn’t believe it when it happened. Like, why is Smith the one popping out there to get the ball? He’s one of the last guys I want shooting in that situation, I’d rather have Franklin since he was having such a good game.

The last two games, Archie has made mass substitutions that lost our momentum. We regained it today, but I hope he has learned you can't replace 3 players when things are going well.

You also don't leave Durham in the game when he has had several bad games in a row and others were playing better.

I hope Archie reflects back on the last 2 games and shortens the rotation and the subbing frequency. He is better than this.
He substitutes to get guys involved off the bench. Without dedicating to subbing off the bench, Franklin would not have had enough time or opportunities to get going. Everyone has an opportunity to contribute in every game. I like it.

Last edited:
He substituted to get guys involved off the bench. Without dedicating to subbing off the bench, Franklins not have had enough time or opportunities to get going. Everyone has an opportunity to contribute in every game. I like it.

You would think they practice these end of game situations (who do we want shooting free throws, do we foul or not on a last shot situation up 3). Archie messed this one up, luckily it did not impact the outcome.

The guy I missed was Anderson. He only played 4-5 minutes all game. He's been playing good defense. No other IU player seemed to be interested in guarding Notre Dame's shooters. He had fouls to give So WTF? What was the reason?

Reactions: kmathum
In a perfect world ..Lots of good things happen.
N.D. has D1 players too.
So games are full of up's and downs..College basketball this year especially is full of parody..

Reactions: all4iu76
In a perfect world ..Lots of good things happen.
N.D. has D1 players too.
So games are full of up's and downs..College basketball this year especially is full of parody..
Also full of parity.

At least your spellcheck app didn't make you look worse. You still should have caught this if you want to be taken seriously.

Reactions: mk23

He did in the second half and we see how that worked out

The guy I missed was Anderson. He only played 4-5 minutes all game. He's been playing good defense. No other IU player seemed to be interested in guarding Notre Dame's shooters. He had fouls to give So WTF? What was the reason?
After a couple of good games, DA did not look good out there. He seemed to be somewhere else. DD was similarly in a fog. Archie did well to sit them the rest of the game.

I was critical of Archie but he did have Franklin in the game at the right time. I suppose he had to make some tough decisions with Phin having an off game. There just seemed to be some head scratchers, but we got the win.

Happy to be 11-1!

You know what? I never thought of it until your post. He didn't play at all in the 2nd half, did he?

I love CAM, however, I was at the Nebraska game and we were up 3 with seconds remaining. I was screaming FOUL that cornholer and we didn't and they hit a 3 to tie the game. I also wish he would call time outs when teams have extended runs and I agree with others about not wholesale substituting when we are dominating our opponents. I still have faith in CAM but I think he has some learning to do in late game situations.

Reactions: cryano
I love CAM, however, I was at the Nebraska game and we were up 3 with seconds remaining. I was screaming FOUL that cornholer and we didn't and they hit a 3 to tie the game. I also wish he would call time outs when teams have extended runs and I agree with others about not wholesale substituting when we are dominating our opponents. I still have faith in CAM but I think he has some learning to do in late game situations.

That’s what concerns me. Being the head b-ball coach at IU should not be a learning curve job.

LOL, Rob took the ball out to make sure the ball didn't get thrown away and taken in for easy basket.
No problem with Smith shooting freethrows, good form and has shot them well.

What amuses me is that people really think they are better coaches than Archie. Everyone has players that they think should be in the game. Archie sees these guys daily, and knows who he can trust in a variety of situations.

Aside from the Nebraska failed foul on the 3 point shooter his coaching preparation and in game decisions are solid. It is working, relax and enjoy the games and the direction of the program.

I have to agree. I couldn’t believe it when it happened. Like, why is Smith the one popping out there to get the ball? He’s one of the last guys I want shooting in that situation, I’d rather have Franklin since he was having such a good game.
He is a Junior that has played the most games on the team. Archie challenged him to take the next step as a leader. Today he failed his team. We’ll see how he responds.

He is a Junior that has played the most games on the team. Archie challenged him to take the next step as a leader. Today he failed his team. We’ll see how he responds.

Really, with the game on the line would Smith be Archie’s choice to make free throws? No way.

LOL, Rob took the ball out to make sure the ball didn't get thrown away and taken in for easy basket.

What amuses me is that people really think they are better coaches than Archie. Everyone has players that they think should be in the game. Archie sees these guys daily, and knows who he can trust in a variety of situations.

Aside from the Nebraska failed foul on the 3 point shooter his coaching preparation and in game decisions are solid. It is working, relax and enjoy the games and the direction of the program.
You are absolutely nuts!
Or, just started watching IUBB today...

What amuses me is unpaid ‘armchair quarterbacks’ can watch from home and realize strategy or lack of that an ‘expert’ being paid $3.5 million is unable to see...

It has angered me the previous 2 seasons...but apathy sets in...and amusement takes its place...

What amuses me is unpaid ‘armchair quarterbacks’ can watch from home and realize strategy or lack of that an ‘expert’ being paid $3.5 million is unable to see...

It has angered me the previous 2 seasons...but apathy sets in...and amusement takes its place...

So, if it was Crean coaching IU today instead of Archie, and he allowed Smith to shoot critical end of game free throws, would that have been ok to criticize?

Smith should not even be on the court to be fouled as poor of a foul shooter as he is. This is where Steve Alford got the ball, was fouled, and the game was over!

Let me rephrase, he lost trust from his teammates.
Doubt that very much. They all high five each other after EVERY good play, FT, timeout. This team is really close to each other. I highly doubt one single player was upset JS missed front end of one and one. Rewatch every game. Those young men love, care about each other. It’s more than obvious in game and post game and interviews. This team has some good chemistry

Doubt that very much. They all high five each other after EVERY good play, FT, timeout. This team is really close to each other. I highly doubt one single player was upset JS missed front end of one and one. Rewatch every game. Those young men love, care about each other. It’s more than obvious in game and post game and interviews. This team has some good chemistry
You’re missing the point. If you have been part of a team, you know everyone wants to be the clutch guy that everyone can count on. Smith missed that opportunity today. I hope that motivates him to begin working harder. He is still far from his potential.

Today? Seriously? Is this honestly the first game you’ve seen in the last 3 years? Smith is an absolute disaster waiting to happen every single time he gets the ball. It’s inconceivable to me the the little guy on the sidelines doesn’t know that.

You’re missing the point. If you have been part of a team, you know everyone wants to be the clutch guy that everyone can count on. Smith missed that opportunity today. I hope that motivates him to begin working harder. He is still far from his potential.
Give the joker a participation trophy so he works harder. Lol! You’re killing me.

most teams will be lucky to win a road game in the BIG, see OSU at Minny.. Purwho @ Cornholes. And many more

This is wrong.
It will be tough but for the most part the better teams are going to win away.

Yes the big is a tough conference on the road but its not the end all equation.
Thinking teams like osu are going to continue to lose on the road just isnt going to happen

Reactions: .Gerdis

You are assuming the armchair quarterbacks are correct. You wait on something to go wrong and then go into your usual rant about how bad Miller is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT