ADVERTISEMENT

Elimination of sports in schools

My question is “why do we tie college education to sports?” The education aspect is a farce for many. Here’s the general plan: Schools recruit the same number of players (revenue and non revenue sports), and the “pay” is the same: cost of tuition, room and board, whatever. If the athlete doesn’t want to attend classes, and just train, so be it.
I dont think the pay is the same. Girls softball does not get a full free ride. Nor field hockey etc. I understand the thinking, they do not generate football or basketball level money.

I had an interesting conversation with someone today who is from Europe. They were shocked at how much devotion and resources our communities put into school sports programs. He stated club sports were prevalent in his area. Should this be considered? Have sports in public schools ran its course? These were some of the points discussed.
Another question:
I lived in a town with a smaller college. A sports writer noted that most of the track team and tennis team were not from the USA let alone that state. His question was what is the purpose of the sports scholarships - too help educate that states’ students or the world?
I thought it was interesting.

Another question:
I lived in a town with a smaller college. A sports writer noted that most of the track team and tennis team were not from the USA let alone that state. His question was what is the purpose of the sports scholarships - too help educate that states’ students or the world?
I thought it was interesting.
That’s true at major D1 too. Winning is king.

Robotics is good (missed that the first time), but they had to win state for anyone to take notice, eh?
Yeah, you busted me. They told all those little nerds that they'd never have any friends if they didn't win state, like the dumb athletes who run the school did. Even after winning state, they wouldn't recognize the girls on the robotics team. After all, why should they get any recognition if the female athletes couldn't get varsity letters.

I see you just realized Woodson coached in the NBA.
How many current NCAA Programs can say the same? Can't be many...

Distinct possibility this ends up being a truly brilliant hire. Certainly has the potential...

Good to feel/be back in the hunt.

"Out of adversity comes opportunity". - Benjamin Franklin

You keep on making up whatever narrative gives you comfort. I'll just take your posts for what they are from here on out.

Rural communities, as well as suburban and urban, are often bonded my their local athletic teams. Especially if there is an extenuating circumstance that has dampened the spirits of the community. I can only speak as a former basketball coach, but our athletes on our best teams coincided with our most academic minded student athletes. We had back to back Lilly winners which was fantastic. I recall our Superintendent making it clear that the way our program carried itself would a direct reflection of how our community would be viewed. Our kids weren't earning D1 schollies, but they provided excitement for our community, and were great ambassadors for our corporation. None are sitting at the legion talking about the glory years, but they are excelling in the real world.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Yeah, you busted me. They told all those little nerds that they'd never have any friends if they didn't win state, like the dumb athletes who run the school did. Even after winning state, they wouldn't recognize the girls on the robotics team. After all, why should they get any recognition if the female athletes couldn't get varsity letters.

I see you just realized Woodson coached in the NBA.

You keep on making up whatever narrative gives you comfort. I'll just take your posts for what they are from here on out.
Over-simplify much? Overwrought to be sure. Since you've reached some sort of irrevocable judgement re: my character or whatnot, I won't waste any more time on this save to say that my Woodson post was a lark. Just happened to be musing over the future of the Program and found myself marveling at the possibility that his hire might ultimately end 30+ years of futility. As that's a laughing matter of the finest kind I chose a purposefully gleeful and self-satirizing title to share my excitement.

Conclude whatever makes you feel smug and safe, like your initial assertion that because you have no experience or memory of something that it therefore must not be real. Probably wasn't/isn't much in the way of racism or poverty in your school/community either, maybe you'd like to tell me how they're just figments of my imagination as well. GLWT.

• Haha
This is anecdotal and based on personal experience, but most of my bad hires have been people who didn't play sports in HS. Conversely, most of my good hires did play HS sports.

There's something to be said for people who have made personal sacrifices, practiced discipline and competed as part of a team. It's an indicator of success IMO.
Just don’t hire golfers. They tend to be liars, cheats, and selfish. Not really kidding either lol.

• Haha
Brilliant perspective. If it's been longstanding than we shouldn't change it. Wow.

You surely are no leader of a corporation because THAT thinking would sink your company swiftly. You always have to be willing to adapt and change or you will fail. Unfortunately, your way of thinking is why China will soon surpass the US in GDP as well.

I am not saying we need to change high school sports but to shut down a conversation based on tradition is laughable. We need to completely revamp our educational system to allow the youth to be educated on things that will impact their lives in 2021, not 1950. This nostalgic idea that whatever we created and worked at that time must remain is slowly killing us.

I remember mentioning back in 2005 that there is too much money in sports that players will be paid and people went ballistic. Its narrow minded thinking to ever assume we will not need to constantly find methods of improvement. We have gone so long without any real dynamic changes that we are getting hit with a BUNCH of them at once and people are going to keep losing their minds. Time only keeps proving me right.

China will pass the US in GDP because Wall St set up their manufacturing base for them in exchange for cheap labor. (at the expense of our manufacturing base, and the jobs and tax bases and on shore supply chains that went with them).

China now literally owns us, as we are now totally dependent on them for everything from our meds to chips to telecom essentials and most everything else. (why the media isn't allowed to acknowledge that covid likely was engineered in the Wuhan lab).

i guess anyone seeing this as a long range calamity are just "overly nostalgic".

as for players eventually being paid in college sports.

that would never have happened had the adults not decided to fully professionalize college sports for themselves first. (for the same reason Wall St moved our manufacturing base and supply chains to China and other race to the bottom low cost labor countries).

Last edited:
More than half a million people have died from it you idiot, guess your probably not getting vaccinated, good luck dumb ****
I had COVID in January.. survived it (sorry to so disappoint you) & even plan to get J&J immunization this week. Sorry I don’t fit into your little niche you’ve created for me. Extremists on both sides refuse to think but only follow like sheep. Sorry to inform you but that DOES include extremist liberals like yourself also.

China will pass the US in GDP because Wall St set up their manufacturing base for them in exchange for cheap labor. (at the expense of our manufacturing base, and the jobs and tax bases and on shore supply chains that went with them).

China now literally owns us, as we are now totally dependent on them for everything from our meds to chips to telecom essentials and most everything else. (why the media isn't allowed to acknowledge that covid likely was engineered in the Wuhan lab).

i guess anyone seeing this as a long range calamity are just overly nostalgic.

that would never have happened had the adults not decided to fully professionalize college sports for themselves first. (for the same reason Wall St moved our manufacturing base and supply chains to China and other race to the bottom low cost labor countries).
"The media isn't allowed...."? Really? Like the way the Pentagon Papers and Watergate reports were squelched? Pray tell who exactly is stopping them and how are they're doing it"? Is it the CIA? Chinese death squads? Or those adorable deep-state pedophiles?

There are scores and probably hundreds of stories from the media covering Covid's likely origins, with most of them covering the possible role of Wuhan research labs. And while deeply indebted, hardly "totally dependent" unless you're including Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines, Taiwan, S. Korea and the rest of the SE Asian manufacturing base as part of China. Despite their best efforts, still not yet the case.

i guess anyone seeing this as a long range calamity are just "overly nostalgic".

^^^^^^^^
Bitches about China, shops at Walmart.

"The media isn't allowed...."? Really? Like the way the Pentagon Papers and Watergate reports were squelched? Pray tell who exactly is stopping them and how are they're doing it"? Is it the CIA? Chinese death squads? Or those adorable deep-state pedophiles?

There are scores and probably hundreds of stories from the media covering Covid's likely origins, with most of them covering the possible role of Wuhan research labs. And while deeply indebted, hardly "totally dependent" unless you're including Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines, Taiwan, S. Korea and the rest of the SE Asian manufacturing base as part of China. Despite their best efforts, still not yet the case.

Epic_Facepalm_5452.png

obviously you have absolutely zero idea how things work.

Comcast/NBC, AT&T/Time Warner/Directv, Disney/ABC/ESPN and the rest of the media, and virtually everyone who advertises on them including big pharma, are totally dependent on China.

and btw, i suggest you watch the movie "The Post".

and yes, China absolutely now owns us thanks to Wall St.

wake up.

Epic_Facepalm_5452.png

obviously you have absolutely zero idea how things work.

Comcast/NBC, AT&T/Time Warner/Directv, Disney/ABC/ESPN and the rest of the media, and virtually everyone who advertises on them including big pharma, are totally dependent on China.

and btw, i suggest you watch the movie "The Post".

and yes, China absolutely now owns us thanks to Wall St.

wake up.
Actually have almost certainly seen far more of the world than you and penetrated much higher into the hierarchy and policy deliberations of governments and corporations than you ever will. Also spent years working directly with every media entity you mentioned (except ESPN) and scores of foreign carriers as well. Seen The Post, have read quite a bit about the Vietnam War and spent five years living and working in DC. What you got? Hannity and Breitbart? Wait - wouldn't China own them and especially FOX (the biggest pimps in the history of TV) as well?

Rave on - it's all you got.

Actually have almost certainly seen far more of the world than you and penetrated much higher into the hierarchy and policy deliberations of governments and corporations than you ever will. Also spent years working directly with every media entity you mentioned (except ESPN) and scores of foreign carriers as well. Seen The Post, have read quite a bit about the Vietnam War and spent five years living and working in DC. What you got? Hannity and Breitbart? Wait - wouldn't China own them and especially FOX (the biggest pimps in the history of TV) as well?

Like to brag a bit?

• Haha

A), you don't know squat about me.

B), you obviously learned nothing.

if you think the media is tough on China because they get hit once in a while on Fox News or OAN to court their Trump viewers, (who BTW both have Comcast and AT&T as their largest sources of revenue, and China controlled big pharma as their other main source), then you are just kidding yourself.

if you don't realize China literally owns us, then you have a learning disability.

if you do realize but profess otherwise, then you are less than truthful. (the polite way of saying it).

Last edited:
If I did wouldn't have stopped nearly so soon. Citing real-world experience. Have any?
And yet you provide nothing in the way of support for anything you say. “Vacuous homilies” was one of your very few accurate statements, and it applies wholeheartedly to you.

P.S.: Find an editor. Bright people communicate much more effectively using far fewer words. They also understand grammar and usage.

And the topic began with an "interesting conversation with someone from Europe" and gathered so many different comments on many different issues . I want the discussion to continue, I'm interested in reading more. In my opinion, it is better not to compare our model and the European one. By the way, a little about college. My friend does sports professionally and gets a degree. He says that he often does not have the strength and time to perform tasks after training. He sometimes uses https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/liberty/ to write difficult essays for him. He says he is satisfied with the result and recommends this resource.

Last edited:
The USA has come to Europe's rescue twice in the last 110 years. We are back-to-back World War champs. I don't give a rat's ass what Europe does with club sports, high school sports or anything else, quite frankly.
Read. A. Book.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT