ADVERTISEMENT

Eldrick Tont Woods is 8 over today

GOAT will always come down to the criteria you personally choose to base your opinion on.

That's good news for Tiger fans. A few years ago he was going to be the GOAT, because he was going to sail past Jack's major record. Now it is something else.

If it is peak golfer or impact on the game, one would have to assume it is somebody like Bobby Jones. He completed the Grand Slam. He even helped design and start the Master's Tournament.

Dunno. That's the problem.

We don't know? We DON'T KNOW?

giphy.gif

Let me know when you're in the area, I still owe you a sixer. And Jay Cutler is still a douche.

I call BS. What PGA board member? I don't follow golf that closely, but that sounds like the kind of thing I'd have heard about.
I'm referring to Hal Sutton. I read an article in Golf Digest or Golf Magazine several years ago when Hal Sutton accused the PGA of setting up courses for majors so they benefited Tiger. In other words, they were making them as long as possible. At that time, Sutton said he would have changed up the courses so there would be more different winners.

Question 1 - Why you no play your member-guest?
Question 2 - do you play "ready golf" or "furthest hits first no matter what"?
I'm not playing in our Member/Guest for the following reasons: I am too new at my job to miss work during the week, it costs a member about $1,000.00 to be in it because he also pays for his guest and I don't enjoy it that much.

As for your question about how we play golf, we play "ready golf" everywhere but on the greens unless it is a serious event that requires us to do otherwise.

McNutt, PEDs had NOTHING to do with Tiger disassembling Pebble Beach in route to a 15 stroke win (-12) while Jimenez, the runner up, could do no better than +3.
That's not PED's, McNutt. Your hatred of Woods has become laughable. Other players are now driving the ball just as Woods did in his heyday. Are they all on PEDs too? Please just stop.

Why did Tiger take PEDS if they didn't help his game? Why did Barry Bonds take PEDS if they didn't help his game? I rest my case.

I'm referring to Hal Sutton. I read an article in Golf Digest or Golf Magazine several years ago when Hal Sutton accused the PGA of setting up courses for majors so they benefited Tiger. In other words, they were making them as long as possible. At that time, Sutton said he would have changed up the courses so there would be more different winners.

Wouldn't making the holes longer also be seen as a defensive move against a long hitter like Tiger, who was hitting driver/wedge into nearly every green?

Anyway, why should the PGA be in the practice of "changing up the courses so there would be more different winners?" In a game of integrity why should they be trying to architect different winners or losers? Sutton (if he said that) would be just as bad as those he allegedly criticized, which in my mind makes his criticisms invalid.

Wouldn't making the holes longer also be seen as a defensive move against a long hitter like Tiger, who was hitting driver/wedge into nearly every green?

Anyway, why should the PGA be in the practice of "changing up the courses so there would be more different winners?" In a game of integrity why should they be trying to architect different winners or losers? Sutton (if he said that) would be just as bad as those he allegedly criticized, which in my mind makes his criticisms invalid.
I think McNutt is misremembering things. I don't think Sutton ever said anything like that. And the reason he quit his PGA Tour policy board position was to captain the Ryder Cup, not to protest anything.

Even if making the holes longer benefited Tiger, there are so many other players who drive as long as he does now that it would be irrelevant. He can't overpower the entire field any more. If he's going to dominate, it's going to be with his work around the greens and with his putter.

I think McNutt is misremembering things. I don't think Sutton ever said anything like that. And the reason he quit his PGA Tour policy board position was to captain the Ryder Cup, not to protest anything.

Even if making the holes longer benefited Tiger, there are so many other players who drive as long as he does now that it would be irrelevant. He can't overpower the entire field any more. If he's going to dominate, it's going to be with his work around the greens and with his putter.

I would think that making them shorter would have hurt Tiger by negating his length. At the time, making them longer just made it more difficult for the short knockers.

I would think that making them shorter would have hurt Tiger by negating his length. At the time, making them longer just made it more difficult for the short knockers.
But shorter means the long drivers have a chance at eagle on every single par 5, and they are hitting pitching wedges into every green, while the shorter guys are dealing with mid-irons.

The proper way to deal with it is to design the courses so that length isn't the most important. You put a nice big pond in front of the green on your reachable par 5, and even the long hitters are probably going to lay up in most cases. If someone wants to go all Tin Cup and sail the water, more power to him, but if his length is going to win the day, he's going to have to earn it.

Personally, I think the biggest problem with PGA-style courses is that the greens are too damn big. A guy with a long drive can try to reach that green with a fairway wood because he knows he has such a big margin for error. You make the greens smaller, and severely punish wayward shots with ugly, hilly rough, and you make that kind of aggression less attractive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT