ADVERTISEMENT

Eldrick Tont Woods is 8 over today

BTW, Jeff Overton is having a good day. 5-under on the day. 7-under for the tournament. Playing the par-5 15th and placed his drive perfectly. If he can get another birdie or two, he may be in contention tomorrow depending on what the leaders do today.

Keegan Bradley, Patrick Reed, and Dustin Johnson also having good days.

McTard ....just shut it.

Post about your weird life you live but don't be like OS on Brady.

You shoot like ****in 93 on average so don't make a big deal out of your obession with Tiger

McTard ....just shut it.

Post about your weird life you live but don't be like OS on Brady.

You shoot like ****in 93 on average so don't make a big deal out of your obession with Tiger
It's more than a little late for that. If the guy never does anything else in a major (and that grows more improbable with every tournament) he'll still be the greatest golfer to ever tee it up.

It's more than a little late for that. If the guy never does anything else in a major (and that grows more improbable with every tournament) he'll still be the greatest golfer to ever tee it up.
I'm a Tiger fan, but it looks like he pissed away his chance to be the GOAT.

I'm a Tiger fan, but it looks like he pissed away his chance to be the GOAT.

Yeah, I think maybe he had the best 2-3 year stretch ever but not sure he can be considered GOAT with 4 less majors than Jack, not to mention his 19 2nd place finishes - how many HoF'ers in the Tiger era vs. when Jack played? Love Tiger, but Jack's still the man.

Reactions: IU_Cramer
Play a course like I play, Puss, and see what you score! We have tight fairways, high rough, firm greens that aren't receptive to approach shots and very challenging bunkers. I plan to play Greensburg Country Club this coming Saturday because our course is closed for our annual Member/Guest that day. My guess is it will seem very easy compared to our course. Otter Creek is supposed to be a difficult course, but our course is tougher right now.

Anybody who likes Tiger must not be an advocate of course etiquette because Tiger's is terrible. I also don't like the way he declines interviews after bad rounds. He did that Saturday, by the way.

I remember when IU quarterback Terry Jones tried to do that in 1976 or 1977. After I reprimanded him for it, he began answering our questions. Somebody needs to do that to Tiger.

Play a course like I play, Puss, and see what you score! We have tight fairways, high rough, firm greens that aren't receptive to approach shots and very challenging bunkers. I plan to play Greensburg Country Club this coming Saturday because our course is closed for our annual Member/Guest that day. My guess is it will seem very easy compared to our course. Otter Creek is supposed to be a difficult course, but our course is tougher right now.

Anybody who likes Tiger must not be an advocate of course etiquette because Tiger's is terrible. I also don't like the way he declines interviews after bad rounds. He did that Saturday, by the way.

I remember when IU quarterback Terry Jones tried to do that in 1976 or 1977. After I reprimanded him for it, he began answering our questions. Somebody needs to do that to Tiger.

You're a badass.

Never change.

By these:
Woods scoring average in 2000 is the lowest in PGA Tour history, both adjusted, 67.79, and unadjusted, 68.17.
He holds the scoring record in relation to par at 3 majors (The Masters, the Open and the PGA) and margin of victory in 2 others (Masters and U.S. Open).
He's the only golfer to be the champion of all 4 majors in one year. Give me a break with the talk of "it wasn't in a calendar year". That's moronic. Before him, golfers were measured by whether they could accomplish the feat in their career. He did it in a year's time, ending with, IMHO, golf's greatest championship.
He did ALL of this in spite of course redesigns specifically made to negate his power and make it more difficult for him.
Lastly, the runner-ups in many of his majors would have won in every other major ever played. They just had the misfortune of playing at the same time as the greatest golfer to ever play.
Will he beat Jack's record? Probably not. But he burned brighter and was better than Jack or any other golfer was on their best day.

Even though I used to be a huge Barry Bonds fan, I would compare his career with that of Tiger Woods. Please notice I said I "used to be a huge Barry Bonds fan". I lost a tremendous amount of respect for Bonds when it was revealed that he was using performance enhancing drugs.

It hasn't been proven yet, but I also believe Tiger has been using PEDS. Why else would he use the same Canadian physician as ARod? That physician, by the way, recently lost his license because he was providing PEDS illegally to people.

Tiger had a great 10-year stretch, but Jack Nicklaus had a great 20-year stretch. That is why Nicklaus is the greatest golfer of all time at this point.

Despite what you are saying about the PGA setting up the course against Tiger, that is not what a former PGA board member said. He resigned from the board because he said the PGA was setting up the courses to favor Tiger.

By these:
Woods scoring average in 2000 is the lowest in PGA Tour history, both adjusted, 67.79, and unadjusted, 68.17.
He holds the scoring record in relation to par at 3 majors (The Masters, the Open and the PGA) and margin of victory in 2 others (Masters and U.S. Open).
He's the only golfer to be the champion of all 4 majors in one year. Give me a break with the talk of "it wasn't in a calendar year". That's moronic. Before him, golfers were measured by whether they could accomplish the feat in their career. He did it in a year's time, ending with, IMHO, golf's greatest championship.
He did ALL of this in spite of course redesigns specifically made to negate his power and make it more difficult for him.
Lastly, the runner-ups in many of his majors would have won in every other major ever played. They just had the misfortune of playing at the same time as the greatest golfer to ever play.
Will he beat Jack's record? Probably not. But he burned brighter and was better than Jack or any other golfer was on their best day.[/QUOTE

Good stats, no doubt, & as I stated he had the best stretch ever, but that doesn't make him the GOAT. Ask him if he'd trade any of the stats, Varden Trophies, or even his 4 in a row for another 5 majors & you'll know which means more. Just a matter of opinion, but I'll take the majors as a measure of greatness every time. Also, if you look at Varden trophy winners you won't find Jacks name on the list, so not sure that's a very important benchmark. Yes, he has played some of the best golf of all time, but falls well short in the most important metric, majors.

Even though I used to be a huge Barry Bonds fan, I would compare his career with that of Tiger Woods. Please notice I said I "used to be a huge Barry Bonds fan". I lost a tremendous amount of respect for Bonds when it was revealed that he was using performance enhancing drugs.

It hasn't been proven yet, but I also believe Tiger has been using PEDS. Why else would he use the same Canadian physician as ARod? That physician, by the way, recently lost his license because he was providing PEDS illegally to people.

Tiger had a great 10-year stretch, but Jack Nicklaus had a great 20-year stretch. That is why Nicklaus is the greatest golfer of all time at this point.

Despite what you are saying about the PGA setting up the course against Tiger, that is not what a former PGA board member said. He resigned from the board because he said the PGA was setting up the courses to favor Tiger.
I call BS. What PGA board member? I don't follow golf that closely, but that sounds like the kind of thing I'd have heard about.

[QUOTE="Tiger had a great 10-year stretch, but Jack Nicklaus had a great 20-year stretch. That is why Nicklaus is the greatest golfer of all time at this point..[/QUOTE]

Tiger: chic to geek in a big way.

Biggest career meltdown since Leif Garrett.

Tiger has become a total sideshow clown, and I think he's going to have to basically retire from the game. Has to be one of the more epic collapses in sports history....the US open in two weeks may be even uglier, the way he's driving the ball. I predict another 'injury'....followed by a WD.

Question 1 - Why you no play your member-guest?
Question 2 - do you play "ready golf" or "furthest hits first no matter what"?

Tiger had arguably a greater impact on the game than any other player historically. From total purse sizes to endorsements not just for him but for the entire tour. Viewership, sponsorship, and a host of other positive changes were as a result of his incredible play. Look at what happens to TV ratings in the majors that he has missed the last few years.

I won't argue about who is the best to ever play. I will say that while there have been great shots played by a slew of different players Tiger has had a knack for amazing shots unlike any I've ever seen. Spend some time on YouTube and you can't help but marvel at what he was able to do that nobody else seems capable of.

GOAT will always come down to the criteria you personally choose to base your opinion on. McNutt disqualifies him for cursing. Others because of total majors. Others for their own reasons. I really don't care who gets that title. I just love that I got to watch Tiger play in his prime and was able to see those amazing shots.

GOAT will always come down to the criteria you personally choose to base your opinion on.

Exactly. I think that Woods at his peak was the most dominant player in golf, ever. And I think measuring a player (in any sport) against his peers is the only way to determine relative greatness. You can't directly measure players from one era against players from another.

Jack will likely keep his record of most major wins. I think Tiger is finished in that regard. But for a stretch of years there Tiger was far and away more dominant than Jack could ever have dreamed of being. In that regard I do think he's the greatest golfer to play the game.

I always thought the GOAT was the guy you blamed for a loss because he choked or is just an overall POS.

Agree 100%.

No doubt whatsoever Woods was juicing during his unbelievable run.

Absolutely no doubt.

He's the A Rod of golf.

Nothing more.

By your measure, Kareem is the GOAT in basketball. Or Russell. Emmitt Smith is the greatest RB in football. Longevity doesn't equate to GOAT. Pete Sampras wasn't better than Borg. Sometimes the GOAT doesn't have the longevity. I'll say it again. Jack, on his best day, would've been dominated by Tiger (at his peak). That's what I measure greatness by.

Nah, team sports are different. Too many other variables. In individual sports it's much simpler, it's about majors. Scores aren't a great comparison tool either due to equipment, course conditions, etc. & Jack has plenty of 61's & 62's that refute your claim of domination by Woods, even if you did boldface it. Ain't like Tigre put up a bunch of 59's or 60's.

Nah, team sports are different. Too many other variables. In individual sports it's much simpler, it's about majors. Scores aren't a great comparison tool either due to equipment, course conditions, etc. & Jack has plenty of 61's & 62's that refute your claim of domination by Woods, even if you did boldface it. Ain't like Tigre put up a bunch of 59's or 60's.

And we'd be remiss not to mention that the technology Jack had pales in comparison to the clubs and balls ETW benefits from.

I don't think it even works for individuals. How do you compare Jack beating Arnie in a playoff to Tiger beating Rocco Mediate? You just can't. And it was an impressive win, really, but you can't compare majors forty years apart.

And we'd be remiss not to mention that the technology Jack had pales in comparison to the clubs and balls ETW benefits from.

Sure. But the courses have changed over the years to adjust to technology. Can you imagine Woods (or any golfer today) playing with modern clubs/balls on the courses as they were set up in the 1960's?

All this is why you can't compare players from different eras. All you can do is compare how Player A stacked up against his contemporaries, vs how Player B stacked up against his contemporaries.

I don't think it even works for individuals. How do you compare Jack beating Arnie in a playoff to Tiger beating Rocco Mediate? You just can't. And it was an impressive win, really, but you can't compare majors forty years apart.

Yes, you can, why is it any different to win a major 40 yrs ago vs. today? Does it matter how he won them, or just that he won them?

46d8c79e715fa2e856087312ec238569.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT