ADVERTISEMENT

East Palestine Train Wreck: An Emergency Management Disaster

ORG

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2001
Damascus Maryland
I spent a good part of my adult life with one foot in the Police Department and the other in Emergency Management at the County Level. I have a feeling that this train wreck and how it was handeled will be studied in Emergency Management Training Courses for deccades to come.

I spent a good part of my adult life with one foot in the Police Department and the other in Emergency Management at the County Level. I have a feeling that this train wreck and how it was handeled will be studied in Emergency Management Training Courses for deccades to come.
I live close to the tracks that run through Elkhart and wouldn't be surprised being Norfolk that this train passed through or was headed this way. We have had 2 large derailments recently although probably over a bit longer than I recall . Thank goodness we didn't have any problems like that . I can't imagine how that could have been handled worse.

Just a subtle reminder in case you're about to jump on the Charlie Kirk (It's a war against white people) train (no pun intended) ... ;)

My first foray ever onto Mastodon, hope it works...

Reactions: UncleMark

Any big train wreck that involves harm to the folks and environment will be studied over and over.FRA,EPA. insurance companies for and against the railroad and various green groups will all be spending big bucks to to state their version of what happened and the effects.

But what can an emergency response team do in the middle of a chemical tank car fire ? Nothing. Let it burn is the safest thing to do. I don't know about you but I'm not going to stand there pointing a fire hose at a 200,00 lb. roman candle, when the water itself could be making matters worse.

Cosmic brought up some FRA brake laws that were never enacted, I don't think( usually ) those laws if enacted and implemented would make much of a difference. From a security camera video, it showed a box car located ahead of the tank cars on fire from sticking brakes. If the video was from that train or not, it does show that the tank cars aren't necessarily the problem.

A possible solution, and the railroads would fight it tooth and nail, would be to install more temperature sensors along the right of way. Detectors that would only broadcast on the radio when there is an elevated temp with axle location.

Last edited:
Any big train wreck that involves harm to the folks and environment will be studied over and over.FRA,EPA. insurance companies for and against the railroad and various green groups will all be spending big bucks to to state their version of what happened and the effects.

But what can an emergency response team do in the middle of a chemical tank car fire ? Nothing. Let it burn is the safest thing to do. I don't know about you but I'm not going to stand there pointing a fire hose at a 200,00 lb. roman candle, when the water itself could be making matters worse.

Cosmic brought up some FRA brake laws that were never enacted, I don't think( usually ) those laws if enacted and implemented would make much of a difference. From a security camera video, it showed a box car located ahead of the tank cars on fire from sticking brakes. If the video was from that train or not, it does show that the tank cars aren't necessarily the problem.

A possible solution, and the railroads would fight it tooth and nail, would be to install more temperature sensors along the right of way. Detectors that would only broadcast on the radio when there is an elevated temp with axle location.
I have been on a few haz mat fires that were big enough that trying to "put them out" was deemed to be much worse for all stake holders than letting them burn. Impossile to contain that much run off, IF they were even capable of delivering that much water or what ever agent required. Some times when one is given multiple terrible options, you just have to have the stones to pick the least terrible and that is what it appears that they have been doing here. But of course, all of us arm chair heisman trophy winners will continue to call balls and strikes.

Reactions: UncleMark
I have been on a few haz mat fires that were big enough that trying to "put them out" was deemed to be much worse for all stake holders than letting them burn. Impossile to contain that much run off, IF they were even capable of delivering that much water or what ever agent required. Some times when one is given multiple terrible options, you just have to have the stones to pick the least terrible and that is what it appears that they have been doing here. But of course, all of us arm chair heisman trophy winners will continue to call balls and strikes

"Armchair Heisman trophy". I'll have to remember that one. Didn't mean to imply any other real choice other than let it burn. The railroads running 150 car trains are most likely to blame or maybe the placement of those loaded tank cars within the consist. I am waiting for the NS to blame it on the engineer and the FRA report, the report that will be months and months in the making.

Edit: I wonder how many lawyers are in East Palestine?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Last year we had a train tip over and block the tracks down our road for more then a week.

Why didn't Pete come then?

"Armchair Heisman trophy". I'll have to remember that one. Didn't mean to imply any other real choice other than let it burn. The railroads running 150 car trains are most likely to blame or maybe the placement of those loaded tank cars within the consist. I am waiting for the NS to blame it on the engineer and the FRA report, the report that will be months and months in the making.

I was not referring to you with the arm chair comment, I was totally tracking with what you said. The comment was for the much broader "us", we all do it in different ways and depths.

"How many lawyers..."? Before or after the crash? lol Blood in the water attracts sharks..

I saw something on the news NS was committing 1 million dollars to the community. That isn't even going to pay for the paperwork. Then they decided not to show up to a town meeting due to threats.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT