ADVERTISEMENT

Dream Team, unite! Should I attempt to build my own pergola?

Ah, that's what I have on my house. No, I want just flat slats on the pergola.

It's too expensive though. I was looking at pressure treated lumber prices, thinking that's what redwood would also cost. Uh, no. Thanks Joe Biden!
I'm starting to buy treated lumber for a Boat Doc/ Pergola (threw that out there just for goat.. lol) combo this afternoon. It can't be any worse than during the covid hoax. That was beyond lunacy .

Reactions: BradStevens
Brad I’ll break it down for you. We wanted to cover our back patio. Looked at all the options including a pergola. Went with an actual structure with a roof, shingles, and gutters. Installed electrical including a ceiling fan.

When it was an uncovered patio, we seldom used it. After the build, we use it all the time. We eat dinner outside all summer and fall. I also installed a screen for outdoor movies. Plus, the roof allows you to use your outdoor cooking equipment all year long. Get a roof.

*I hired out because I couldn’t do this shit.

Brad I’ll break it down for you. We wanted to cover our back patio. Looked at all the options including a pergola. Went with an actual structure with a roof, shingles, and gutters. Installed electrical including a ceiling fan.

When it was an uncovered patio, we seldom used it. After the build, we use it all the time. We eat dinner outside all summer and fall. I also installed a screen for outdoor movies. Plus, the roof allows you to use your outdoor cooking equipment all year long. Get a roof.

I love sitting out on my covered deck while it's raining.

I built a 28’x28’ deck with a pyramid roof design. I built in an 18’ dia trampoline into the floor, where the trampoline is flush with the floor level. (I’ve got 8-1/2 grand kids)
Elect, within WiFi range, gas and charcoal grill in a corner, pellet smoker, tables and chairs, one of those store bought metal fire pits in a corner.
I wish I could show pictures. Building the roof, actually the right way on this one, over an 18’ hole was a bitch!!!
But it’s been used SOOO much. One time at a GK sleep over, we couldn’t find the kids one morning. They all got up during the night and went and camped out on the trampoline! Proud Grampa moment!!!!

I built a 28’x28’ deck with a pyramid roof design. I built in an 18’ dia trampoline into the floor, where the trampoline is flush with the floor level. (I’ve got 8-1/2 grand kids)
Elect, within WiFi range, gas and charcoal grill in a corner, pellet smoker, tables and chairs, one of those store bought metal fire pits in a corner.
I wish I could show pictures. Building the roof, actually the right way on this one, over an 18’ hole was a bitch!!!
But it’s been used SOOO much. One time at a GK sleep over, we couldn’t find the kids one morning. They all got up during the night and went and camped out on the trampoline! Proud Grampa moment!!!!
Offering a case of Old Style, Joe. Just sayin’ . . .

Offering a case of Old Style, Joe. Just sayin’ . . .
Honestly… I’d love to, not lying . I’m game .
Depending on size and your level of uppity taste, preplanning materials…project scope,
probably a 2 day project, ish.
I just left Home Depot with the basics to start this boat doc/ PERGOLA , lumber prices aren’t really that much above pre covid #’s.
I’m an outside person in the spoon position, but I’m definitely game. Can we video it for my future Roku channel?

Honestly… I’d love to, not lying . I’m game .
Depending on size and your level of uppity taste, preplanning materials…project scope,
probably a 2 day project, ish.
I just left Home Depot with the basics to start this boat doc/ PERGOLA , lumber prices aren’t really that much above pre covid #’s.
I’m an outside person in the spoon position, but I’m definitely game. Can we video it for my future Roku channel?
I have an idea for a YouTube channel. A bunch of guys like me and Murt trying to do home projects and not knowing what we’re doing.

Dads Doing Stupid Shit is the title.

HGTV has something like that, where the show people go in and fix/finish someone else's fvckups.
But is it the same group of idiots screwing up each time? That’s the funny part.

Don’t need to teach how to do stuff. This is about laughing at Jackass type stunts with home improvement

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Would love a pergola on my back deck. Looks easy enough.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

I don't understand the value proposition of a pergola. So the sun only fries part of your face? So you only get a little wet during a thunder storm? What are we after here? When it's done, it still feels like a project that got abandoned halfway through to me.

I don't understand the value proposition of a pergola. So the sun only fries part of your face? So you only get a little wet during a thunder storm? What are we after here? When it's done, it still feels like a project that got abandoned halfway through to me.
You don’t sit under it in the rain.

It provides shade and still allows a breeze. You can hang string lights off the top for lighting in the dark. It looks nice. It also provides a psychological sense of enclosure, which weirdly matters. You can also place slats on the side to operate as a nice privacy fence.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
But is it the same group of idiots screwing up each time? That’s the funny part.

Don’t need to teach how to do stuff. This is about laughing at Jackass type stunts with home improvement
Are you willing to nail your hand to the pergola? Set your overalls on fire? Get frozen into the cement you just poured? Might not need you to do it, Brad. Mcm in cement or on fire would probably get a greenlight though.

You don’t sit under it in the rain.

It provides shade and still allows a breeze. You can hang string lights off the top for lighting in the dark. It looks nice. It also provides a psychological sense of enclosure, which weirdly matters. You can also place slats on the side to operate as a nice privacy fence.
So a couple grand and a few weeks of work to hang string lights and have a psychological sense of enclosure? A fan, Lars' walk-in closet, and a flashlight gets you 85% of the way there. Heck, if it's raining, you'll get those perks AND stay dry. 🤣

Are you willing to nail your hand to the pergola? Set your overalls on fire? Get frozen into the cement you just poured? Might not need you to do it, Brad. Mcm in cement or on fire would probably get a greenlight though.
@BradStevens think before you respond. this is someone who can actually make something happen. to give us the life WE BOTH DESERVE in hollywood. i could be having happy hour at sur if this goes well

I have an idea for a YouTube channel. A bunch of guys like me and Murt trying to do home projects and not knowing what we’re doing.

Dads Doing Stupid Shit is the title.
That could be HUGE!!! A million $ idea I swear. Selectively timed walk buys, of women in a 2 piece… the camera follows her… we hear hear a loud male… oh shit in the background… camera returns to murt with a finger in his mouth.
I want in!!!

Yes. I do that stuff now for feee

• Love
Reactions: hoosboot
That could be HUGE!!! A million $ idea I swear. Selectively timed walk buys, of women in a 2 piece… the camera follows her… we hear hear a loud male… oh shit in the background… camera returns to murt with a finger in his mouth.
I want in!!!
My neighbor and I came up with the idea when I had a cracked limb on a giant oak in my front yard. It was about 40- ish feet up. We were trying to get a rope up over it to pull it down. Tried everything including tying a rope around a softball with a saw in the middle of the rope. You had to see it.

Me and this guy throwing our arms out trying to get this ball thrown over the branch. Ended up on the roof of his porch, swinging it around like a bolo trying to fling it up. The saw about took me out twice.

15 year old daughter walks by, looks at me, rolls her eyes, and just takes out her phone and starts recording us. Doesn’t say a word. It was hilarious.

My neighbor and I came up with the idea when I had a cracked limb on a giant oak in my front yard. It was about 40- ish feet up. We were trying to get a rope up over it to pull it down. Tried everything including tying a rope around a softball with a saw in the middle of the rope. You had to see it.

Me and this guy throwing our arms out trying to get this ball thrown over the branch. Ended up on the roof of his porch, swinging it around like a bolo trying to fling it up. The saw about took me out twice.

15 year old daughter walks by, looks at me, rolls her eyes, and just takes out her phone and starts recording us. Doesn’t say a word. It was hilarious.
Omg dad!

Dont ya know you can rent a lift basket for about $200?
… hey y’all, you’ll never guess what my dad didn’t accomplish today!

Lol

Yeah. We caught one of those 40% events at container store. I think, for a roughly 8x8 walk in it was around $2500 all in. The remaining border in the front yard is about 200 linear feet. Three to five pavers high. I’ll be chipping away all summer.

We had those in our old house and really liked them. The ones with the mesh drawers?

Brad why don’t you buy a pre fab gazebo from Costco and put it together yourself? There’s not that expensive, look nice, and give actual cover. You can mount a tv, ceiling fan, speakers, etc. Winner winner.

Brad why don’t you buy a pre fab gazebo from Costco and put it together yourself? There’s not that expensive, look nice, and give actual cover. You can mount a tv, ceiling fan, speakers, etc. Winner winner.
Because I thought I could build my own for about half the cost of the cheapest Costco one. And I prefer the look of wood (especially since I have a wood deck already).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT