ADVERTISEMENT

Dream Team, unite! Should I attempt to build my own pergola?

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023
Would love a pergola on my back deck. Looks easy enough.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

True, but good to stay out of the sun.

I'm really just hoping the entire Dream Team offers to come up here and build it with me in a day. Kinda like raising a barn for the Amish.

I had a cover put on my deck. Used clear corrugated. I forget exactly the spec, but it was something like 40% opaque (blocks 40% of the sun) and it was perfect -- just enough shade to make it comfortable but it's not dark at all.

I had a cover put on my deck. Used clear corrugated. I forget exactly the spec, but it was something like 40% opaque (blocks 40% of the sun) and it was perfect -- just enough shade to make it comfortable but it's not dark at all.
But you didn't put it on yourself?

****ing liberal.

Built my own sun deck and pergola. Hard work but satisfying. Planning is the key.

Not sure how to share my pics from Google photos, but if anyone knows how, I will.

Reactions: BradStevens

I researched building one for a few weeks, started planning what to buy, then decided I might just buy a retractable awning. Then I never did that and started researching how to build a storage shed. Then I was tasked with building flower beds and repainting the basement so I still don’t have an awning or shed.

There are lots of YouTube videos to guide you through the process and what’s required, depending on what you want.

I researched building one for a few weeks, started planning what to buy, then decided I might just buy a retractable awning. Then I never did that and started researching how to build a storage shed. Then I was tasked with building flower beds and repainting the basement so I still don’t have an awning or shed.

There are lots of YouTube videos to guide you through the process and what’s required, depending on what you want.
Did a walk in closet with that Elfa shit from The Container Store. One of my larger accomplishments last year. At home anyway. Turned out pretty well.

This, in turn, reminded my wife I can be handy. So she reminded me I haven’t finished the terraced paver bullshit border around the front yard flower beds. Which, of course, I’m aware of because I’ve been doing a bang up job not doing it for the last two years.

Does get me some me time though.

Did a walk in closet with that Elfa shit from The Container Store. One of my larger accomplishments last year. At home anyway. Turned out pretty well.

This, in turn, reminded my wife I can be handy. So she reminded me I haven’t finished the terraced paver bullshit border around the front yard flower beds. Which, of course, I’m aware of because I’ve been doing a bang up job not doing it for the last two years.

I've got people for this kind of shit. Trailer park handyman will do most anything for $50 and a 12-pack.

Which is just a fancy word for "tent!" WTF, people?
Yeah but now people do em up. Architecture/impossible builds/tiny houses/amazing designs etc are usually on at my office. Yurts, train cars, buses, tiny houses seem to be a category for a certain deodorant optional group

I've got people for this kind of shit. Trailer park handyman will do most anything for $50 and a 12-pack.

8285692.0.jpg

This was our handyman. Best ever. About 6’8 in boots. Could do anything. For cash. Left to be a country singer. Massive loss to the neighborhood

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
certain deodorant optional group
Uneducated rural males? I've been to many concerts in many venues .. and the worst smells in a group setting emanate from two groups .. white rural males and white people with dreadlocks .. Got to admit the dreadlock smell is disgusting AF and gets the top ranking.. but some of "y'all' need to learn how to wipe your ass or something ..

Uneducated rural males? I've been to many concerts in many venues .. and the worst smells in a group setting emanate from two groups .. white rural males and white people with dreadlocks .. Got to admit the dreadlock smell is disgusting AF and gets the top ranking.. but some of "y'all' need to learn how to wipe your ass or something ..
Neat. You’re almost interacting with humans today. Progress. We’ll try again tomorrow. Keep up the good work

He’s not lying… if I can ever get these ****ers to fire me, this is what I want to do!! Swear to god man!!!

My wife has given me the same projects. I went to the Container Store last year to look at walk-in closet shelving, looked at the crazy prices on a few of the setups, then said we can either have new tile on the fireplace or new closet shelving. We chose the fireplace (and paid someone else to do it) so I got out of one project. Then in about a month from now I'm taking a few days off to landscape a new flower bed in our front yard.

The biggest problem with these projects is not knowing how long we plan on staying in our house. We both want to remodel our kitchen but I'm not touching it unless I know we're staying for 5+ years.

Yeah but now people do em up. Architecture/impossible builds/tiny houses/amazing designs etc are usually on at my office. Yurts, train cars, buses, tiny houses seem to be a category for a certain deodorant optional group
But your hood are semi pretenders escaping gun play from necessity not due to being individualist.
Mountain coach, think mountain!!

My wife has given me the same projects. I went to the Container Store last year to look at walk-in closet shelving, looked at the crazy prices on a few of the setups, then said we can either have new tile on the fireplace or new closet shelving. We chose the fireplace (and paid someone else to do it) so I got out of one project. Then in about a month from now I'm taking a few days off to landscape a new flower bed in our front yard.

The biggest problem with these projects is not knowing how long we plan on staying in our house. We both want to remodel our kitchen but I'm not touching it unless I know we're staying for 5+ years.
Yeah. We caught one of those 40% events at container store. I think, for a roughly 8x8 walk in it was around $2500 all in. The remaining border in the front yard is about 200 linear feet. Three to five pavers high. I’ll be chipping away all summer.

Reactions: IUclover

Are you going to add a sun shade? There are metal based kits that will save you a lot of time at install time and maintenance time. They typically have sun shade hooks/attachment points.

Yeah. We caught one of those 40% events at container store. I think, for a roughly 8x8 walk in it was around $2500 all in. The remaining border in the front yard is about 200 linear feet. Three to five pavers high. I’ll be chipping away all summer.
$2,500. For a closet.

So Carmel.

Are you going to add a sun shade? There are metal based kits that will save you a lot of time at install time and maintenance time. They typically have sun shade hooks/attachment points.
I want something akin to this. Although I’m building it on a wood deck, so don’t think I need to cement the posts in the ground.

#dadlife

I want something akin to this. Although I’m building it on a wood deck, so don’t think I need to cement the posts in the ground.

#dadlife
Right. And get white drapes and comfy loungers. And a sound machine with ocean waves. Maybe a recording of some chicks with real bad vocal fry. Then when the kids are in bed and that wife starts barking you can make a drink and go out there and pretend you’re at the Delano

#chicagocabanalife

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT