ADVERTISEMENT

DraftExpress.com recommends that Troy return for senior season

I watch every game and maybe he thought that the other players were not playing well so he brought in Burton for a couple of minutes. Also Burton hit a big 3 at Nebraska last year that helped us win the game.
Depth is always an issue, especially at IU.

Reactions: russelltodd
This past season, IU had a number of players injured, including Blackmon, Morgan, Johnson, and Hartman. Niego and Burton, two walk ons, had to log extensive playing time as a result. Also, the turnover from the previous season had already left IU in a position where a good chunk of the roster was unknown and inexperienced. That's why people are concerned about each of the spots on the roster, tho I understand why you aren't.
Even one of the best coaches of all time in Coach K has had years where injuries depleted their roster like last year. He only played 7 players last year and when Jefferson got hurt he was down to playing 6 players most of the game. he also had a 5 star player who could not get on the court until late in the year.

After listening to the peegs podcast it seems far from a done deal troy is going pro. I really feel Boo Williams is going to steer him back to IU. If he was going pro I think he would already would have announced. I really think he wants to be part of a final four team.

Even one of the best coaches of all time in Coach K has had years where injuries depleted their roster like last year. He only played 7 players last year and when Jefferson got hurt he was down to playing 6 players most of the game. he also had a 5 star player who could not get on the court until late in the year.
One of the greatest coaches of all time can make lemonade from a depleted roster. Crean, on the other hand,isn't close to that. You must not have been aware of the injuries IU had this past season, along with the dismissals.

Then why was Ryan Burton playing in the first half of a sweet sixteen game against the UNC Tarheels? Jeremiah April vs. Louisville last year? Do you even watch the games?

I really hope Mr. Priller keeps his grant and is not creaned because it is the right thing to do. That being said did crean even watch him play before he threw out the grant and won the intense recruiting battle with immaculate word. You really have to wonder if he even watched him. It is never easy to win a recruiting battle with immaculate word but I’m just saying.

After listening to the peegs podcast it seems far from a done deal troy is going pro. I really feel Boo Williams is going to steer him back to IU. If he was going pro I think he would already would have announced. I really think he wants to be part of a final four team.
Crean will be very surprised if Williams returns.

I really hope Mr. Priller keeps his grant and is not creaned because it is the right thing to do. That being said did crean even watch him play before he threw out the grant and won the intense recruiting battle with immaculate word. You really have to wonder if he even watched him. It is never easy to win a recruiting battle with immaculate word but I’m just saying.
I hope they keep Priller because he can be all B1G if he develops. Crean has proven he can spot the unheralded guys and develop them.

I hope they keep Priller because he can be all B1G if he develops. Crean has proven he can spot the unheralded guys and develop them.
I could not agree more. Crean is a master of finding diamonds in the rough.

I am so glad that you and Spa are on our team. Thank you both for adding so much to this fan site.

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure how a feel about that. I tend to think once you make a commitment to a kid with the scholarship you shouldn't pull it back. I understand your thinking in that the kid would be at the school anyway and didn't join the team under a scholarship guise so no harm no foul, but I'm not so sure it's as simple as that.
You just explain to them that the scholarship is provisional. It's there this year and if it gets filled next year it goes away. As long as you're upfront about it, I don't see what the problem is. The walk-on will obviously be happy to get a year of free schooling. Scott is right, it happens all the time.

As of right now he is going to be watching from the stands, because we ain't got a spot for him. I think with the new NBA draft rules it would be prudent to keep at least one open scholarship. Just for situations like this.

I am so glad that you and Spa are on our team. Thank you both for adding so much to this fan site.
tumblr_m28j5ghD501r16xewo1_500.jpg

You just explain to them that the scholarship is provisional. It's there this year and if it gets filled next year it goes away. As long as you're upfront about it, I don't see what the problem is. The walk-on will obviously be happy to get a year of free schooling. Scott is right, it happens all the time.
Or they'll leave for greener pastures when no scholarship is forthcoming, like Niego did.

Or they'll leave for greener pastures when no scholarship is forthcoming, like Niego did.
Neigo was never offered a scholarship and he was a walk on and everyone knew that. Also he did not go to another D1 school so he is probably not going to get a free ride there as well.

Neigo was never offered a scholarship and he was a walk on and everyone knew that. Also he did not go to another D1 school so he is probably not going to get a free ride there as well.
You don't think Niego asked and was told that he could possibly earn a scholarship? You don't think the expense of attending IU just recently became known to him, do you? You don't think he would've stayed had a grant been offered?

You don't think Niego asked and was told that he could possibly earn a scholarship? You don't think the expense of attending IU just recently became known to him, do you? You don't think he would've stayed had a grant been offered?
No I don't, I think he thought he might be able to get some playing time and when he saw that we recruited Jones and Green with the additions of Newkirk that he would not see the floor.

No I don't, I think he thought he might be able to get some playing time and when he saw that we recruited Jones and Green with the additions of Newkirk that he would not see the floor.
You really don't think those conversations occurred? There's little doubt they did. And either way, do you think it's a good thing that he felt the need to leave, especially after his contributions to the team this year?

If you've watched much basketball, you would know that's not true.
http://247sports.com/Bolt/List-of-underclassmen-entering-the-2015-NBA-Draft-36505273http:/
/www.ukathletics.com/sport/m-baskbl/roster/#/
http://www.tarheeltimes.com/rosterbasketball-2015.aspx
http://www.kuathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

These our the rosters of the top 4 programs in the country and look at what the bottom of their roster looks like and tell me that they worry about the 12th and 13th players.

I am sure his uncle Boo Williams is helping him with this decision. Also I think the comment about his mom comes from her angry tweet when Troy did not start in Maui.

I know where it comes from. She can say whatever she wants, that doesn't mean she has any influence over the decision. Having read about his situation, it seems unlikely that she does.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/List-of-underclassmen-entering-the-2015-NBA-Draft-36505273http:/
/www.ukathletics.com/sport/m-baskbl/roster/#/
http://www.tarheeltimes.com/rosterbasketball-2015.aspx
http://www.kuathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

These our the rosters of the top 4 programs in the country and look at what the bottom of their roster looks like and tell me that they worry about the 12th and 13th players.
IU isn't a top four program in the country, so why would IUs roster situation be comparable to any of them?

IU isn't a top four program in the country, so why would IUs roster situation be comparable to any of them?
do I have to paint you a picture. We were talking about how IU fan base is the only one that worries about who the 12th or 13th player on the roster. I said most programs don't have great players at the end of the bench and these rosters show you that these teams don't have great players at the end of the bench.

do I have to paint you a picture. We were talking about how IU fan base is the only one that worries about who the 12th or 13th player on the roster. I said most programs don't have great players at the end of the bench and these rosters show you that these teams don't have great players at the end of the bench.
Many fans, especially the most devoted ones, do care about stuff like this, since it often impacts the team. More casual fans aren't concerned, that's true. And elite programs are talented all the way to the end of the bench.

But you don't care why a kid left? Most IU fans I know felt differently.
Not a walk on who was not going to see the floor. he seemed like a good kid and wanted to go to a place where he could get more minutes. I think some people just try to find things to fault the coaching staff on because of their dislike of the coach even when there is nothing there.

Many fans, especially the most devoted ones, do care about stuff like this, since it often impacts the team. More casual fans aren't concerned, that's true. And elite programs are talented all the way to the end of the bench.
I live and died with IU for over 40 years and can't think of a time where we needed the 12th or 13th player on the roster to contribute. Did you even look at the teams roster I presented because each one had 5 or 6 players who never saw the floor and never hear of them.

Not a walk on who was not going to see the floor. he seemed like a good kid and wanted to go to a place where he could get more minutes. I think some people just try to find things to fault the coaching staff on because of their dislike of the coach even when there is nothing there.
He was already seeing the floor. He earned a spot by contributing. Sorry if you consider that meaningless. And he left so he could go somewhere and hopefully earn a scholarship. In spite of his solid play, that wasn't going to be possible at IU.

I live and died with IU for over 40 years and can't think of a time where we needed the 12th or 13th player on the roster to contribute. Did you even look at the teams roster I presented because each one had 5 or 6 players who never saw the floor and never hear of them.
The end of the bench contributed this past season. Are you really not capable of seeing that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT