ADVERTISEMENT

DraftExpress.com recommends that Troy return for senior season

Grotto_22

Junior
Sep 18, 2005
"Troy Williams: The Indiana junior showed both Thursday and Friday that he's a ways away from being a player an NBA head coach can trust in live action. As has been the case for his entire career, he's extremely wild with the ball and has very little discretion as a decision maker. He drives into the paint with no plan and jacks up early threes in transition without conscience. He's a great athlete with good size and will make an occasional three, but Williams' decision making is still a major work in progress, even at age 21. His best option is to return to school, study the game and try to slow himself down while becoming a more reliable shooter. "

Reactions: ziggyIU
"Troy Williams: The Indiana junior showed both Thursday and Friday that he's a ways away from being a player an NBA head coach can trust in live action. As has been the case for his entire career, he's extremely wild with the ball and has very little discretion as a decision maker. He drives into the paint with no plan and jacks up early threes in transition without conscience. He's a great athlete with good size and will make an occasional three, but Williams' decision making is still a major work in progress, even at age 21. His best option is to return to school, study the game and try to slow himself down while becoming a more reliable shooter. "
As I have said for months Troy is not going anywhere. There is nowhere for him to go so expect him back next year.

As I have said for months Troy is not going anywhere. There is nowhere for him to go so expect him back next year.
I think he will return to college as well...question is does he return to Indiana or become a graduate transfer at another school where he can be the main man?

I think he will return to college as well...question is does he return to Indiana or become a graduate transfer at another school where he can be the main man?

Main man? DII school? Said two seasons ago he would never make an NBA roster. Simply out of control with not much of a handle or a shot to rely on.

My heart says he should return to work on his basketball playing IQ. My gut tells me he doesn't listen to reason and convinces himself to move on from college. I'm not sure he has the best voices of reason advising him given the FB post or tweet, or whatever it was, his mom had during the season. Hope I'm wrong though.

He should return but I still don't think he will. If he does return I am worried that he will worry more about his draft stock than what is best for the team.

Nowhere for him to go? I'm pretty sure that Troy could find a gig overseas with relatively little trouble. And I also think that, with the right coaching, he could improve him game there just as effectively as he could at IU.

I hope he does come back -- I think we're a better team with him than without him. But I don't think it's at all true that it's the NBA or bust for Troy.

Nowhere for him to go? I'm pretty sure that Troy could find a gig overseas with relatively little trouble. And I also think that, with the right coaching, he could improve him game there just as effectively as he could at IU.

I hope he does come back -- I think we're a better team with him than without him. But I don't think it's at all true that it's the NBA or bust for Troy.
He is not going to go overseas. He will be at IU or another school as a graduate transfer but he will not be in the draft. I will be proven correct this week.

He is not going to go overseas. He will be at IU or another school as a graduate transfer but he will not be in the draft. I will be proven correct this week.
He can't be a graduate transfer he didnt graduate...and he isn't going to sit out a year

Reactions: stollcpa
He gone. We don't have room for him unless... Never mind I don't want to be labeled a hater. But we are full on ships now.

I'll say it- get rid of Priller. He is a wasted scholarship. The coaching staff should also realize Gelon was a mistake and push him to a smaller school. Big time programs don't waste scholarships so why should we? Priller has gotten a free education for being below mediocre. IMO he's been rewarded enough. I know it won't look good for Crean, but it needs to be done with the talent in the 2017 class.

I'll say it- get rid of Priller. He is a wasted scholarship. The coaching staff should also realize Gelon was a mistake and push him to a smaller school. Big time programs don't waste scholarships so why should we? Priller has gotten a free education for being below mediocre. IMO he's been rewarded enough. I know it won't look good for Crean, but it needs to be done with the talent in the 2017 class.
Nobody really gets why primer was offered but crean needs to stand by the grant. He made the decision to offer a guy who's only other offer was immaculate word. It seems pretty stupid but he did it. Ad for gel on he isn't even on campus yet. Forcing him out would send a terrible message to Indiana high school coaches.

Have you actually looked at the end of the roster at some of the other bigger programs. Most don't even have 13 scholarship players and teams like Duke or UNC have a lot of kids on the end of their bench that are not great players.

Have you actually looked at the end of the roster at some of the other bigger programs. Most don't even have 13 scholarship players and teams like Duke or UNC have a lot of kids on the end of their bench that are not great players.
You're making a persuasive case to not fill that 13th scholarship with a kid who can't contribute.

I think I'd prefer to leave an open scholarship for a last minute legit add. Makes it easier to honor a four year commitment to the kids rather than trying to cut the fat to make room for an incoming kid.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Most of them don't have our roster mgmt issues

You can leave one open but why not give it to a walk on?
Giving scholarships to walkons that don't have the potential to be productive starters or contributors is probably a waste of a scholarship. It's also what gets programs and, TC specifically, into a tight spot because they want to go after a player but don't have a spot open. Also I think if a coach is going to give a scholarship it should be with the 4-5 year commitment until they earn their degree(s) and not to just bring in good practice players for a year or two. It's not fair to the kid to say thanks for the help now adiós.

You can have walk ons while not filling all the available scholarships.
That's what I thought. If I had to guess that's probably what the UKs, Dukes, and UNC's of the world do. Leave on open scholly rather than fill it with a walk on practice player so if a last minute legit kid is available you have a spot for him. A walk on can always earn the scholly later on with his play if the coach really believes it's worth it.

Giving scholarships to walkons that don't have the potential to be productive starters or contributors is probably a waste of a scholarship. It's also what gets programs and, TC specifically, into a tight spot because they want to go after a player but don't have a spot open. Also I think if a coach is going to give a scholarship it should be with the 4-5 year commitment until they earn their degree(s) and not to just bring in good practice players for a year or two. It's not fair to the kid to say thanks for the help now adiós.
When you have an open scholarship you can give it to a walk on for that open year. It is not guaranteed for the next year and if you have enough players in the next class then that player can go back to being a walk on.

Reactions: schmib
When you have an open scholarship you can give it to a walk on for that open year. It is not guaranteed for the next year and if you have enough players in the next class then that player can go back to being a walk on.
Most coaches wouldn't operate that way. Once you've awarded a scholarship to a walking, revoking it is a lousy and, thankfully, rare occurrence.

Most coaches wouldn't operate that way. Once you've awarded a scholarship to a walking, revoking it is a lousy and, thankfully, rare occurrence.
It happens all the time. If a kid comes in as a walk on and then goes on scholarship they know this could be a possibility. I would have a problem bringing someone in on scholarship then taking that away asking them to walk on.

If you have an extra one why not give it to walk on, why let it go unused

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure how a feel about that. I tend to think once you make a commitment to a kid with the scholarship you shouldn't pull it back. I understand your thinking in that the kid would be at the school anyway and didn't join the team under a scholarship guise so no harm no foul, but I'm not so sure it's as simple as that.

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure how a feel about that. I tend to think once you make a commitment to a kid with the scholarship you shouldn't pull it back. I understand your thinking in that the kid would be at the school anyway and didn't join the team under a scholarship guise so no harm no foul, but I'm not so sure it's as simple as that.
It happens all the time

If Troy wants to come back and we don't have a spot, it will be an epic debacle. I agree with the idea of saving one scholarship in the pocket.

It happens all the time
I guess as long as the coach and kid are on the same page about it then it's not an issue. This issue as it pertains to IU however, becomes more dicey does it not? Does the Student Athlete Bill of Rights mandate all scholarships passed out be 4 year commitments or does it still allow a 1 year offer for these situations?

It happens all the time. If a kid comes in as a walk on and then goes on scholarship they know this could be a possibility. I would have a problem bringing someone in on scholarship then taking that away asking them to walk on.
At IU, taking away a scholarship in the manner you described is against the University's published code.

I guess as long as the coach and kid are on the same page about it then it's not an issue. This issue as it pertains to IU however, becomes more dicey does it not? Does the Student Athlete Bill of Rights mandate all scholarships passed out be 4 year commitments or does it still allow a 1 year offer for these situations?
I don't think you understand what we are saying.. If you go into a season with an unused scholarship, like happened when Holt got booted...you let a walk on have it for that season

I don't think you understand what we are saying.. If you go into a season with an unused scholarship, like happened when Holt got booted...you let a walk on have it for that season
I understand that part. My question is if the kid goes on scholarship does IU's policy mandate that to be a 4 year commitment or do they still allow a 1 year scholarship? As I read the policy it seems once a kid is on scholarship only the kid can revoke that scholarship, not the coach, all things being equal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT