ADVERTISEMENT

DraftExpress.com recommends that Troy return for senior season

I doubt a student would agree to forego a grant in aid, and IUs policy forbids the practice.
That's my take as well in reading the policy. Im not sure the spirit of the policy was meant to have a loophole where a gentlemans handshake agreement could sidestep the policy. I think the policy is definitely meant to protect the athletes by stating once a student athlete, always a student athlete.

That's my take as well in reading the policy. Im not sure the spirit of the policy was meant to have a loophole where a gentlemans handshake agreement could sidestep the policy. I think the policy is definitely meant to protect the athletes by stating once a student athlete, always a student athlete.
I thought that this new policy just guaranteed that your education will be paid for but not your roster spot. It was made so kids who had career ending injuries and they can at school and stay on scholarship. it also allows kids who leave early for the pros to be able to come back to school and still get their education paid for.

I doubt a student would agree to forego a grant in aid, and IUs policy forbids the practice.
It happens all the time. Why would IU tell a deserving walk on that they can't fillthe empty scholarship spot?

The BOR wouldn't impact this "special" circumstance

My heart says he should return to work on his basketball playing IQ. My gut tells me he doesn't listen to reason and convinces himself to move on from college. I'm not sure he has the best voices of reason advising him given the FB post or tweet, or whatever it was, his mom had during the season. Hope I'm wrong though.

His mom isn't advising him. He hasn't lived with her since he was 12 or 13, if I remember correctly. He recently indicated who he was getting advice from. It was Coach Crean, another coach (maybe his high school coach, I can't recall), and John Lucas.

His mom isn't advising him. He hasn't lived with her since he was 12 or 13, if I remember correctly. He recently indicated who he was getting advice from. It was Coach Crean, another coach (maybe his high school coach, I can't recall), and John Lucas.
I am sure his uncle Boo Williams is helping him with this decision. Also I think the comment about his mom comes from her angry tweet when Troy did not start in Maui.

I thought that this new policy just guaranteed that your education will be paid for but not your roster spot. It was made so kids who had career ending injuries and they can at school and stay on scholarship. it also allows kids who leave early for the pros to be able to come back to school and still get their education paid for.
I think you're partially right as it pertains to career ending injuries, returning aftet pursuing careers, etc...thats referred to as the Lifetime Degree Guarantee. When you return you have an academic scholarship in essence.

It's also meant to protect current players from having scholarships pulled for playing performance, illness, team contribution, etc... and that's the Four Year Scholarship Commitment. It actually states that no Athletic Scholarship will be reduced for the reasons stated. I interpret that to mean an athletic scholarship remains an athletic scholarship until the current player decides otherwise or has earned his degree, which also takes up a roster spot.

I think you're partially right as it pertains to career ending injuries, returning aftet pursuing careers, etc...thats referred to as the Lifetime Degree Guarantee. When you return you have an academic scholarship in essence.

It's also meant to protect current players from having scholarships pulled for playing performance, illness, team contribution, etc... and that's the Four Year Scholarship Commitment. It actually states that no Athletic Scholarship will be reduced for the reasons stated. I interpret that to mean an athletic scholarship remains an athletic scholarship until the current player decides otherwise or has earned his degree, which also takes up a roster spot.
IUFB gives one yr schollies to walk ins every year. Glass announced them on the field after practice. They put the Video of it in IYs website

You guys still on this? Troy has been gone for months.
You are nuts. Where would he go? He is not going to go play in Europe when he can be on a potential final four team. He is coming back my friend.

You are nuts. Where would he go? He is not going to go play in Europe when he can be on a potential final four team. He is coming back my friend.
Have you not followed the draft because every year you see kids stay in the draft and not get drafted that should have went back to college. I still say that he will stay in the draft and play in the D-league or go over seas.

Have you actually looked at the end of the roster at some of the other bigger programs. Most don't even have 13 scholarship players and teams like Duke or UNC have a lot of kids on the end of their bench that are not great players.
Correct. The #12-13 players see the floor ideally only in blowouts. Their value comes in practice or playing on a scout team against the players that will play. You don't want to use your top rotation players for this purpose. Walk-ons can come in and do the same, but they are likely to leave the team for various reasons. Your #12-13 being on scholarship gives them incentive to return and build experience. The hope would be they could improve competitively or gain experience to contribute at some point. These players are needed just like walk-ons are needed to complete your scout team.

According to a cousin that coaches at the juco level, if there is a player that had played in high school, they will consider them to walk on if, and only if, they are good students and will raise the team GPA and can contribute in a practice role. A check of our walk-ons may show they are also very good students.

The certainty of a paycheck sometimes outweighs the possibility of a deep tourney run.

Walk-ons join the team with no expectation of a scholarship. They can be given one year deals if a roster spot is open. If they do not receive it the next year I would think most would view that they got something they did not expect (a scholarship for one year) rather than something being taken away.

The Louisville walk on player of note was Kyle Kuric from Evansville.
He went to Ville as a walk-on. He received a scholarship his Soph and Junior seasons.
As a junior he was the second leading scorer on the team but went back to walk-on status as a senior.
He led the team in scoring as a senior walk-on....Not sure if that has ever happened anywhere,
Money was probably not a huge issue as his dad is a neurosurgeon.

Who had one taken away? Have you ever heard of an incoming scholarship player losing his grant and remaining with the team? It doesn't happen.
that is not what he is saying. he is saying players that come in as walk ons and then are given a scholarships for a year if they have available scholarships at the start of the season.

that is not what he is saying. he is saying players that come in as walk ons and then are given a scholarships for a year if they have available scholarships at the start of the season.
I understood the point even if it isn't applicable to IU.

The certainty of a paycheck sometimes outweighs the possibility of a deep tourney run.
I also do not think he is going anywhere. He would be crazy to leave given how loaded this team is going to be. It is going to have top 5 in the nation talent.

Who had one taken away? Have you ever heard of an incoming scholarship player losing his grant and remaining with the team? It doesn't happen.

Two different issues.

Players that come in as walk-ons do sometimes end up getting a one year scholarship and then losing that scholarship the following year.

Players that come in as a scholarship player would probably almost never agree to lose a scholarship but stay with the team as a walk-on.

Two different issues.

Players that come in as walk-ons do sometimes end up getting a one year scholarship and then losing that scholarship the following year.

Players that come in as a scholarship player would probably almost never agree to lose a scholarship but stay with the team as a walk-on.
My question is specific to IU's self imposed new standards for athletes. Under IU's new Athletes Bill of Rights, is a walk on player who is extended a scholarship reclassified as a student athlete and moved to four year scholarship status, or do coaches at IU still have the ability to offer one year scholarships for these occasions without the expectation all scholarships are mandated to cover 4 years per the BOR's.

In essence, does IU mandate all athletic scholarships now be treated with four year status unilaterally or do they still allow one year offers under the Athletes BOR for the exact situation we are talking about. I think shirtsandskins answered this.

I also do not think he is going anywhere. He would be crazy to leave given how loaded this team is going to be. It is going to have top 5 in the nation talent.

If I were going to disagree with you, I would point out other examples of players leaving almost certain college team success to chase big money to play a game they love and have been playing for free their whole lives...

But, disagreeing with you and a few others here has consequences, and I can't afford any more warnings due to reported posts, so...

You are right and I agree wholeheartedly. It is 100% certain that he will be staying, because you say so.

My question is specific to IU's self imposed new standards for athletes. Under IU's new Athletes Bill of Rights, is a walk on player who is extended a scholarship reclassified as a student athlete and moved to four year scholarship status, or do coaches at IU still have the ability to offer one year scholarships for these occasions without the expectation all scholarships are mandated to cover 4 years per the BOR's.

In essence, does IU mandate all athletic scholarships now be treated with four year status unilaterally or do they still allow one year offers under the Athletes BOR for the exact situation we are talking about. I think shirtsandskins answered this.
Walk ons are a special circumstance. They come here without an expectation of a scholarship

Like I said IUFB gives 1yr schollies to walk ons every year. The recruited athletes get 4yr grants

Reactions: HouseDivided2014
Thus my comment about it being inapplicable. It's purely theoretical and will never happen
You joined in the middle of a conversation, it's applicable to the conversation we were having

If you want to talk about something else, go ahead

Two different issues.

I heard Crean and Glass were at odds because Crean has been telling the walk-ons they will get major minutes and possibly start. Don't shoot the messenger.

I heard Crean and Glass were at odds because Crean has been telling the walk-ons they will get major minutes and possibly start. Don't shoot the messenger.

Due to the obvious factual nature of this post, I think it is time to fire the coach and/or the A.D.

Actually we were down to 11 until we got Max late
Only because of the removal of players from the team. While the bad behavior has been the norm, the scholarship situation has been the exception. In fact, Crean has usually used all of them, to his great detriment.

Only because of the removal of players from the team. While the bad behavior has been the norm, the scholarship situation has been the exception. In fact, Crean has usually used all of them, to his great detriment.
I have never seen a fan base obsessed over the 12th and 13th players on a roster. If you only play 8 or 9 kids there will always be kids on the end of the bench who will not play.

Reactions: DCDAVID
I have never seen a fan base obsessed over the 12th and 13th players on a roster. If you only play 8 or 9 kids there will always be kids on the end of the bench who will not play.
Then why was Ryan Burton playing in the first half of a sweet sixteen game against the UNC Tarheels? Jeremiah April vs. Louisville last year? Do you even watch the games?

Then why was Ryan Burton playing in the first half of a sweet sixteen game against the UNC Tarheels? Jeremiah April vs. Louisville last year? Do you even watch the games?
I watch every game and maybe he thought that the other players were not playing well so he brought in Burton for a couple of minutes. Also Burton hit a big 3 at Nebraska last year that helped us win the game.

This past season, IU had a number of players injured, including Blackmon, Morgan, Johnson, and Hartman. Niego and Burton, two walk ons, had to log extensive playing time as a result. Also, the turnover from the previous season had already left IU in a position where a good chunk of the roster was unknown and inexperienced. That's why people are concerned about each of the spots on the roster, tho I understand why you aren't.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT