ADVERTISEMENT

Does 19-14 & 10-8B10 Get Us In The Dance?

IUFANMI

Benchwarmer
Aug 20, 2006
If we go 3-1 in our remaining B10 games & 2-1 in NY; we end up 19-14 & 10-8 B10.

Does that get us in the dance?

Probably a high seed in the NIT. Most likely we need 20 wins before the NCAA tournament to have a chance to get in, including a couple victories over top 25 teams.

I played around with the RPI Wizard last night and I'm guessing IU's NCAA Tournament chances work like this..

9-9 and IU must win the BTT
10-8 and lose in the title game gives a punchers chance
11-7 and lose in the title game, likely in the dance
11-7 and lose in semi's may be good enough
11-7 and lose in the quarters probably won't be enough

IU needs to be the 4th Big Ten team to have a chance. 11-7 with wins over Nebraska, OSU and Michigan and a narrow loss in the Big Ten championship game could do that, but IU doesn't have their own destiny. We all need to root for Michigan and Nebraska to lose as much as possible. And IU will need to keep winning.

Long shot. But there is still a glimmer.

Reactions: IUgradman
Nope.

Even that won’t get us there.
What I want to see next is the same pounding of Illinois at our house like we did with Minny.

11-7 in conference and getting to title game will get IU in.

That would be 20-13 with wins over OSU, Nebraska on road, and either Purdue/MSU

11-7 in conference and getting to title game will get IU in.

That would be 20-13 with wins over OSU, Nebraska on road, and either Purdue/MSU

Sorry.....I was responding to the first poster regarding 10-8. My fault. Should have clarified that. Your scenario would get us in. Don’t see that happening but if it did, sure your scenario is correct.

Sorry.....I was responding to the first poster regarding 10-8. My fault. Should have clarified that. Your scenario would get us in. Don’t see that happening but if it did, sure your scenario is correct.

I don’t think it’s going to happen either...

Big 10 is weak this year,anything short of winning the conference tourney gets us an NIT bid.
Considering how this year has gone I think that’s where we belong.
Would rather make a deep run there as opposed to one and done in the Dance,just my opinion of course.

Reactions: minneman
Big 10 is weak this year,anything short of winning the conference tourney gets us an NIT bid.
Considering how this year has gone I think that’s where we belong.
Would rather make a deep run there as opposed to one and done in the Dance,just my opinion of course.

I agree.
I think at the end of the day, 5 teams make the dance from the conference, with a borderline 6th depending on what happens with Michigan.

Reactions: CC Mac
If we go 3-1 in our remaining B10 games & 2-1 in NY; we end up 19-14 & 10-8 B10.

No...the only way we dance is win the B1G tourney...may get consideration for play-in if we lose B1G championship, but knock off a combo of either PU, MSU, or OSU on the way...

I started doing this kind of math back prior to Illini game when 5-3 in BT. Needed that one at Illinois (bad loss in committee's eyes) which was pissed away at the FT line. Then either PU or MSU would have been a great resume win.

As top heavy as the BT is this year, 11-7 is a must to have any chance (unless they win the BTT). 10-8, even with a run to Sunday and loss doesn't get it done. Now 11-7 with a run to semis or a Sun loss may get us In the conversation, but long shot. Having only made it to Sunday once, I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: MKordIUBB
I started doing this kind of math back prior to Illini game when 5-3 in BT. Needed that one at Illinois (bad loss in committee's eyes) which was pissed away at the FT line. Then either PU or MSU would have been a great resume win.

As top heavy as the BT is this year, 11-7 is a must to have any chance (unless they win the BTT). 10-8, even with a run to Sunday and loss doesn't get it done. Now 11-7 with a run to semis or a Sun loss may get us In the conversation, but long shot. Having only made it to Sunday once, I'm not holding my breath.
On top of that, we’d need to beat Nebraska and OSU. I see an NIT run in the future

Last 10 games we are #28 in the country, according to RPI. Having said that, I believe we have to win out including B10 tournament. Record just looks bad, with really bad losses early on.

Depends on how many teams who win their regular season championships do not win their tournaments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT