ADVERTISEMENT

obviously tonight is a must win

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
after that 10 games remaining, 2 unwinnable games at OSU and at Purdue, if somehow go 7-1 in the rest of the games would we be a solid in for the tournament. that would make us 20-11 overall and a 12-8 in the big 10

You lost me at "2" unwinnable games. Wisky is better than OSU anywhere. Not to mention road games in general have been nearly unwinnable.

Reactions: bailey777
You lost me at "2" unwinnable games. Wisky is better than OSU anywhere. Not to mention road games in general have been nearly unwinnable.
We have not faired well at OSU, Penn State or MD in recent yrs. Or the barn up in MSP. And have struggled vs Wisky since...hell since the new millennium. But yeah, if we have any hopes n prayers of playing tourney ball...tonight's game is all but a must win. One game at a time.

We all know what's waiting for IU up in Mackey, but no need to worry about it until game day.

after that 10 games remaining, 2 unwinnable games at OSU and at Purdue, if somehow go 7-1 in the rest of the games would we be a solid in for the tournament. that would make us 20-11 overall and a 12-8 in the big 10
IU's bubble burst a couple of weeks earlier, their losses have been bad, even some of their wins have been bad. Massey has them favored in 3 of their last 11, with them beating Penn St., Northwestern and Nebraska. I would bet IU would lose at least one of those and possibly 2!

Team Sheet: https://bracketologists.com/teamsheet/indiana-hoosiers

IU has to win some Q1 games. IU probably needs a minimum of 3 Q1 wins and can't lose any non-Q1 games. That would get IU to 3-8 in Q1 games, and they would have to finish their remaining games (including tonight) at 10-1.

The odds of that would be minimal, and even with it, you may need a win or two in the BTT.

It's likely IU's best hope is to make the NIT (maybe even host a game), otherwise it's the CBB invite year for Woodson.

This team is NIT bound. Whats more....I expect the portal puppies to bow out of it. It’s a total failure of a season. This program is going backwards. That takes some doing.
Maybe we are just spoiled. I’m starting to warm up to those Miller teams.

I'm with most folks that aren't thrilled with this season but I think Woodson deserves and will get at least one more year. This is not half as bad as the Miller years, how quickly we forget.

Reactions: papawboog
Our best chance of getting in the dance is that we sell a lot of seats and have good ratings.

I'm with most folks that aren't thrilled with this season but I think Woodson deserves and will get at least one more year. This is not half as bad as the Miller years, how quickly we forget.
He absolutely gets another season and should.

• Haha
Reactions: dbmhoosier
We have not faired well at OSU, Penn State or MD in recent yrs. Or the barn up in MSP. And have struggled vs Wisky since...hell since the new millennium. But yeah, if we have any hopes n prayers of playing tourney ball...tonight's game is all but a must win. One game at a time.

We all know what's waiting for IU up in Mackey, but no need to worry about it until game day.
I said 2 weeks ago, before Rutgers even, I felt our only chance at making the NCAA was to develop some chemistry and momentum late season and win the B10 tourney. And, what, 4 losses since then haven't changed my mind! So in my mind, must-win games went bye-bye awhile ago.

Last edited:
has a 12-8 big 10 team ever missed the tournament.?
IU isn't in that universe. IU is 4-5. Even if we close out at home...that is 10-10. Which 2 road games can IU find a way to win? The last and only road win was at Michigan on 12/5....dam near 2 months ago. Is the chemistry there? Has the team found its stride? Is there a perimeter game yet? Not seeing it.

Reactions: Tammany Hall

I live in Penn State Country and the truth is I won't be going to the game this yr in Happy Valley. It's just not worth it.

IU isn't in that universe. IU is 4-5. Even if we close out at home...that is 10-10. Which 2 road games can IU find a way to win? The last and only road win was at Michigan on 12/5....dam near 2 months ago. Is the chemistry there? Has the team found its stride? Is there a perimeter game yet? Not seeing it.
didn't say they were. just looking at what I see as the best-case scenario. and where it would put us. 2 roads games would be PSU and Maryland

12-8 is not happening. I highly doubt we win at minnesota or Maryland. Purdue,Ohio state and Wisconsin are all losses.

Last edited:
12-8 is not happening. I highly doubt we win at minnesota or Maryland. Purdue,Ohio state and Wisconsin are all losses.
only 2 sure losses I've got. or OSU and Purdue. this team has some talent, and the schedule is going to get more favorable. will see what happens lose tonight and the season is down the shitter. they will quit if we lose tonight.

Purdue,Ohio state and Wisconsin are all losses.
OSU is really not good this year. I wouldn't write that one off at all. OSU's only wins so far this year are Minnesota, Penn State, and Rutgers, all at home. They appear to be getting worse as the year goes on.

Win possibilities from easiest to hardest (IMO):

PSU
@PSU
@Minnesota
Nebraska
Iowa
@OSU
NW
@Maryland
MSU
Wisconsin
@Purdue

(Edit: Moved Nebraska lower. Nebraska sucks on the road this year).

Last edited:
OSU is really not good this year. I wouldn't write that one off at all. OSU's only wins so far this year are Minnesota, Penn State, and Rutgers, all at home. They appear to be getting worse as the year goes on.

@PSU
@Minnesota
Iowa
@OSU
Nebraska
NW
@Maryland
MSU
Wisconsin
@Purdue
We play PSU twice, no?

Edit: put that at the top, cake city.

I posted elsewhere but worth repeating, in all D1 the worst Quad1 records are-

Depaul 0-9
Mississippi Valley 0-7
IU 0-7

Giving IU a tournament slot for ticket sales would have the NCAA members chasing the tournament committee with torches and pitchforks.
Agree that is bad. But it is also a bit of a slanted view. There are many many D1 teams that do not have a quad 1 win. And our record is worse simply because we have played more quad 1 teams.
For example, you seem to be claiming that it is better to be 0-3 against quad1 teams than 0-7 - I would disagree that it is clear cut.

Agree that is bad. But it is also a bit of a slanted view. There are many many D1 teams that do not have a quad 1 win. And our record is worse simply because we have played more quad 1 teams.
For example, you seem to be claiming that it is better to be 0-3 against quad1 teams than 0-7 - I would disagree that it is clear cut.
It is indeed a double edged sword though. That means that, yes, they have played a harder schedule, but at the same time, that means that they have had more opportunities as well.

At the end of the day (errr.....season), you have to win a couple of those to prove that you are worthy.

I guess the more pertinent question would be, has a non-automatic qualifier team made it to the tournament before without a single Quad 1 win? The NET is only a couple of years old, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

PSU
@PSU
@Minnesota
Nebraska
Iowa
@OSU
NW
@Maryland
MSU
Wisconsin
@Purdue

(Edit: Moved Nebraska lower. Nebraska sucks on the road this year).
I really don't see at minnesota being easy at all. We barely won their last year and minnesota had like three starters out that game. They were playing a walk on

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I really don't see at minnesota being easy at all. We barely won their last year and minnesota had like three starters out that game. They were playing a walk on
no game is easy for this team at penn st should be winnable, would you be shocked if we lost there. just trying to have some hope baily. if this team plays to their potential 8-3 is do able, Kansas and Illinois games most likely bite us in the ass should have won both.

We have lost the quad 1 games by an average of 16 points. We have lost at home, neutral court, and on the road. When you have lost 7 quad 1 games in a row by an average of 16 points then you have defined yourself. It wasn’t an off game or a bad bounce or a missed shot or a bad call, it was seven games in a row that you were just beat and that’s who you are. It happened early in the season and the middle and will likely continue certainly for the remaining quad 1 road games at least. If a team has 3 quad 1 losses on the road by an average of say 2 pts a game then more uncertainty about who they are then seven losses by 16 points a game and at home and on neutral to boot.

Reactions: BleedinGold
I think we win tonight. But that doesn't much matter for tourney hopes. Not many chances for quality wins with rest of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT