ADVERTISEMENT

Do you trust IUFB yet

vesuvius13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 11, 2017
With the success of the past two years and the players now on the roster can you believe in this program or is it now still a wait and see how they do? I believe in this team as they have proven they are a different team now under coach Allen and his staff. Looking at the videos in player interviews it is clear they are physically maturing and more physically intimidating. The offense needs to show it can be a top 20 offense once again but other than that IU looks to be in very good shape for this coming season.

Yes I know it is IUFB but is it IUFB of the old or a new program that fans need to accept is different than the past.

Of course. I think we all understood that after the 2019 season. 2020 was a coming out party for the rest of the nation to see.

I think this season will be the one that solidifies IU as an expected top 25 type of program. I truly believe this year is going to be a better season than last year.

It's a loaded question!

We've moved from "hoping" to "expecting"

I believe that our "program" has been elevated SUBSTANTIALLY. By that I mean our old "expectations" going into a season were bottom half of the league and we "hoped" to do better, but we had no realistic confidence we could beat the historical leaders and legends of the league. Middle of the pack was success. NOW, we REASONABLY "expect" to win against everyone but the leaders and legends, and we have proven we have (and we see ourselves as having) realistic abilities to beat even the teams others perceive as "the best." I see us as a legit "Top 20 program" that - on any given day - can pull off the biggest upset of the day and beat a Top 10 maybe Top 5 team, and our momentum and arrow is still pointed up. We are filling our open spots at the end of each season with capable, competitive players - often improving the spot.

As for this 2021 TEAM, I'm not ready to "guarantee" they will be better than last year or beat last year's record - but I have that suspicion. Every year and very team is different. Nothing is automatic. Chemistry is huge (ask Archie) and difficult on a team machine that has so many moving parts. BUT, this group of players appears to get along, have bought into "LEO - care more about the guy next to you" and is still hungry.

If we beat Iowa, and win our 3 OOC games - and these guys get that confidence rolling again - the Penn State game will be a war - maybe spawn a rivalry - maybe split the space/time continuum.

But a short answer - yes. I trust this team to sustain our improved elevated play and status.

So - BEAT IOWA!

Yes . But I'm a glass half empty guy , and I'm always worried something bad is going to happen .? We had a great coach in Hep , and we all know what happened . We had a great season last year , and then Penix went down . We had a really good back up , and he got hurt in the bowl game , and played most of the game with a up banged shoulder . That being said I think coach Allen is a great coach , and has assembled a great staff . We are getting better recruits , and are more able to play through those injuries . IU is now a football school .

With the success of the past two years and the players now on the roster can you believe in this program or is it now still a wait and see how they do? I believe in this team as they have proven they are a different team now under coach Allen and his staff. Looking at the videos in player interviews it is clear they are physically maturing and more physically intimidating. The offense needs to show it can be a top 20 offense once again but other than that IU looks to be in very good shape for this coming season.

Yes I know it is IUFB but is it IUFB of the old or a new program that fans need to accept is different than the past.

No. I need to see one bowl game win. The loss to Ole Miss didn't exactly inspire confidence.

The only real concern I have is our OC and OL coaches, if they can improve the running game and a variety of running plays along with our TE catching the ball then IU will have a very good year. The defense has very good players added to it along with a DC that knows what it is like in the SEC and get after the offenses. There will be a few changes to the defense from last year to make it even better plus the players are experienced and bigger this year. Our STs have new additions Matthews in particular that should be very good for the return game.

This coming season the team should be even better than last year's team. The bowl loss was about Tuttle being hurt and a disruption of no training for about two weeks going into a sauna they weren't used to yet played Ole Miss very close as close as Alabama did. Our OC went away from the run game working well and threw the ball too often with a QB without any zip on the ball due to injury- hence my concern about the OC.

Last edited:
I think recruiting, special teams and defense and overall program administration there is no question Allen has his ducks in a row. On offense, I suspect we'll have problems again this year. Not sure he's got the right coaching mix there yet. We'll know this season.

Reactions: IUgradman and DANC
The only real concern I have is our OC and OL coaches, if they can improve the running game and a variety of running plays along with our TE catching the ball then IU will have a very good year. The defense has very good players added to it along with a DC that knows what it is like in the SEC and get after the offenses. There will be a few changes to the defense from last year to make it even better plus the players are experienced and bigger this year. Our STs have new additions Matthews in particular that should be very good for the return game.

This coming season the team should be even better than last year's team. The bowl loss was about Tuttle being hurt and a disruption of no training for about two weeks going into a sauna they were used to yet played Ole Miss very close as close as Alabama did. Our OC went away from the run game working well and threw the ball to often with a QB without any zip on the ball due to injury- hence my concern about the OC.
Agree OL is crucial

I believe in this team 100%. You really need to go back and examine the last two year's results/competitiveness against the conference opponents to gauge where we are and where we are going.

I also think Tom Allen has a proven recipe for Big Ten success that has escaped previous Indiana coaches. Trotting out a competent defense AND recruiting/landing 4* quarterbacks with high level skills, is a winning recipe in the game of football.

Come September, Indiana will have a QB room that features three 4* quarterbacks...You bet your ass this program is on the rise.

Playing in the B1G East means we are always going to have to fight tooth and nail to get to 8+ wins, but I feel good about being bowl eligible for the foreseeable future and yes, lack of bowl wins are a real issue for them. They have to start winning some bowls especially with increased expectations building. I do not put alot of stock in last season's top 10 ranking, and wins over some of the conference elite in a down year. I need them to do that again for me to have that level of faith in them, but 6-8 wins and decent bowls are now officially what I believe we are capable of year in year out, which is miles away from where I was a few years ago.

It's a loaded question!

I believe that our "program" has been elevated SUBSTANTIALLY. By that I mean our old "expectations" going into a season were bottom half of the league and we "hoped" to do better, but we had no realistic confidence we could beat the historical leaders and legends of the league. Middle of the pack was success. NOW, we REASONABLY "expect" to win against everyone but the leaders and legends,
I don't "EXPECT" to repeat what we did last year against psu, michigan, and michigan state. Not trying to be a debbie downer, but expecting to beat those guys every year?

Last year those teams lined up against us "Expecting to win" This year they will line up with a totally different attitude, prepared, and with a chip.

Even though we bring everyone back its such a tall task and OSU, PSU and Michi out recruit us every year.

For instance drafted players. The past two years Indiana has had 2 players drafted. TWO

Heres what the East powers had the past two years:
OSU 19
Michi 15
PSU 11
MSU 4

Its a process and next year we may have 4,5,6 possibilities get drafted.

I'm still very hopeful!

Playing in the B1G East means we are always going to have to fight tooth and nail to get to 8+ wins, but I feel good about being bowl eligible for the foreseeable future and yes, lack of bowl wins are a real issue for them. They have to start winning some bowls especially with increased expectations building. I do not put alot of stock in last season's top 10 ranking, and wins over some of the conference elite in a down year. I need them to do that again for me to have that level of faith in them, but 6-8 wins and decent bowls are now officially what I believe we are capable of year in year out, which is miles away from where I was a few years ago.
I find it hilarious that when we do things that fans have been clamoring for for decades, basically for two years in a row, it doesn’t count because so and so was down or it was a fluke (multiple flukes, apparently). My God people, enjoy it. And give the program some damn credit for taking care of business.

Like I have stated before...you were out front predicting last years success and you were right.

If you say they are that good then I am not going to argue with you.

I believe the only thing stopping us from Top 10 team is offensive line and run game.

If run game gets fixed the defense becomes just that much better (less time on field and less pressure) and good teams will be lucky to score 20 points on us.

If offense is still just MP then Iowa. Cincy, PSU become toss-ups or us as slight dogs.

Still favorites with Rutgers, MSU, Mich., MD, PU and 2 other non-conf games.

OSU we will be under dogs.

Still a minimum of 8 wins with a very tough schedule.

Another Florida bowl and great recruiting class.

I think then 8 wins becomes our floor moving forward.

I do think we have arrived and CTA is the person to keep it this way going forward.

As others have stated...I do believe we are a football school now and will see fan support pick up as well.

Just an outside observer's opinion, but I see a lot of similarities between Allen's first several years and Dantonio's at MSU. The Spartan's recorded 7-6, 9-4, 6-7, 11-2 seasons during his first four seasons, losing the bowl game to end the season with the worst performance coming against Alabama in the Capital One bowl 49-7 to conclude the 2010 season. MSU would then reel off four straight bowl game wins.

IU's loss to Ole Miss reminded me a lot of the MSU's loss to Alabama in the Capital One bowl. IU proved itself in league play this past year, and if Penix hadn't been injured IU probably would have stood a better chance against Ole Miss. The biggest takeaway from the 2020 seasons was IU continued the process of learning to win against teams they historically had fallen short like PSU and UM, and coming oh so close against OSU. Those three games I saw as a huge confidence boost to the program. Going forward I believe IU will continue to to be among the top 4 or 5 programs in the east division, if not the entire conference. A healthy Penix will be a huge plus for 2021, and if he decides to come back in 2022. IU may suffer a bit of a drop if he does leave after this year, but only if Tuttle doesn't progress, and I don't believe that will be the case.

Allen has assembled a solid team and coaching staff. Continuity is key and I believe IU will continue to be a player as long as Allen is your coach.

It's a loaded question!

But a short answer - yes. I trust this team to sustain our improved elevated play and status.

So - BEAT IOWA!

Absolutely correct...and we're going to have to expect, anticipate, prepare for and execute our game plans...every team lining up across from us "expects" a good team to be there.

This was a great post and while I edited it down to two sentences...worth a read by every IUFB fan as he or she gears up for the next season. Thanks MTIOTF.

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
Just an outside observer's opinion, but I see a lot of similarities between Allen's first several years and Dantonio's at MSU. The Spartan's recorded 7-6, 9-4, 6-7, 11-2 seasons during his first four seasons, losing the bowl game to end the season with the worst performance coming against Alabama in the Capital One bowl 49-7 to conclude the 2010 season. MSU would then reel off four straight bowl game wins.

IU's loss to Ole Miss reminded me a lot of the MSU's loss to Alabama in the Capital One bowl. IU proved itself in league play this past year, and if Penix hadn't been injured IU probably would have stood a better chance against Ole Miss. The biggest takeaway from the 2020 seasons was IU continued the process of learning to win against teams they historically had fallen short like PSU and UM, and coming oh so close against OSU. Those three games I saw as a huge confidence boost to the program. Going forward I believe IU will continue to to be among the top 4 or 5 programs in the east division, if not the entire conference. A healthy Penix will be a huge plus for 2021, and if he decides to come back in 2022. IU may suffer a bit of a drop if he does leave after this year, but only if Tuttle doesn't progress, and I don't believe that will be the case.

Allen has assembled a solid team and coaching staff. Continuity is key and I believe IU will continue to be a player as long as Allen is your coach.

Good outside assessment, you clearly watch the B10 closely.

In case of six degrees of separation, IU’s new DC replaced your new HC as DB coach at GA. How do Sparty fans feel about his first year, recruiting ability and overall feel as new head of the MSU program?

Clearly IU is all in on Tom Allen, he has a better contract to prove it and his coaching staff additions and recruiting continues to impress the IU faithful.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t really think the question is not about how many wins IU gets. It is more of a question of weather the team is at a competitive level with the rest of the league. If they are competitive they will have a chance to win every game. Some they will not win but sometimes they will pull off the surprise. The main thing to me is that they are a competitive team when they take the field and have a chance to win at a high level, and I trust that they are. Other teams expect to win as well and I’m sure they will occasionally. But no more 20 year losing streaks!

Good outside assessment, you clearly watch the B10 closely.

In case of six degrees of separation, IU’s new DC replaced your new HC as DB coach at GA. How do Sparty fans feel about his first year, recruiting ability and overall feel as new head of the MSU program?

Clearly IU is all in on Tom Allen, he has a better contract to prove it and his coaching staff additions and recruiting continues to impress the IU faithful.

It's difficult to judge Tucker's first year. I give him an incomplete grade for 2020. I had the team going 4-8 if they had played a full season, so the 2-5 record wasn't much of a surprise, especially since he had no spring practice for he and his assistants to implement either of his schemes, combined with no true monitored off season weight training or conditioning. When the conference decided to resume Tucker had to start preparing to field a team and try and work in player evaluations on the fly, and without much if any consistency from one week to the next.

My personal belief was that MSU was severely devoid of talent, and my assessment is being proven as Tucker has gone hard with signing players in the portal, as well as seeing a number of MSU players enter the portal because they couldn't even crack the two deep of such a untalented team. His philosophy regarding recruiting I appreciate as he has stated that he will not recruit players if they don't fall into the measurables that he has set for each position. Too often in Dantonio's later years he was recruiting undersized offensive linemen, backs lacking breakaway speed, and not being able to develop a capable TE even though he had recruited 2 4* at this position.

It would take a great deal to convince me that MSU would be able to get to .500 in 2021, because that would require every player taken in the portal to be a homerun, and the odds of that being the case is unlikely. The one thing I really do appreciate about his recruiting philosophy is doing away with Dantonio's five hour recruiting radius. Tucker has expanded nationally using the relationships he developed with high school programs while he was at OSU, LSU, Bama, and UGA. He's pulled kids out of high profile programs in California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, New Jersey, and Florida. Only time will tell how that talent develops. If he proves his reputation as a talent evaluator and recruiter I could see MSU possibly contending for a conference championship by 2024. But in the meantime I will have to be content with incremental improvements in on field performance and recruiting trail victories.

I have a question about the IU Women's basketball team. I don't follow the game (never did), but recently discovered that I have a cousin playing on the team. Her name is Arielle Wisne. Growing up I was close to her grandfather who played football at ND. He assisted in my training when I decided to walk-on at MSU in the 1970's. As time passed our lives became focused on our careers and raising our own families and we only hear from each other to be notified about a relative who has died.

Last edited:
I believe in this team 100%. You really need to go back and examine the last two year's results/competitiveness against the conference opponents to gauge where we are and where we are going.

I also think Tom Allen has a proven recipe for Big Ten success that has escaped previous Indiana coaches. Trotting out a competent defense AND recruiting/landing 4* quarterbacks with high level skills, is a winning recipe in the game of football.

Come September, Indiana will have a QB room that features three 4* quarterbacks...You bet your ass this program is on the rise.

You and @Rockport Zebra forced me to the books!

Last 2 years ARE proof.

First, we're 11-5 in conference the last 2 years combined. Good starting place.

2019 - Coming off back-to-back 5-7 seasons that had lots of woulda/coulda/shoulda moments. Penix wins the job. We squeak by Ball State and blast Eastern Illinois - but Penix gets hurt and Ramsey starts at OSU - who blast us 51-10. (They finish 13-1, losing to Clemson in the Championship game.) Penix comes back, loses at #25 MSU, gets hurt at Maryland, Ramsey takes us the rest of the way. We win conference road games at Maryland, at Nebraska, and at Purdue. We spank NW 34-3. We lose November games at #9 PSU and to #12 Michigan. We go 8-4, then crush ourselves with that awful finish in Jacksonville and give Tennessee our bowl.

Last year, everything is affected by Covid, but who knows to what extent. It affects everybody, but probably not equally. But still, we get the Penix Pylon (which should go in our trophy case), win at an improving wood-re-chopping Rutgers, we beat a soon-to-fade Michigan by 17 and shut out MSU on the road. We fall behind at #3 OSU. (They go on to finish No. 3.) We fight back. In the 4th quarter we score, then make them punt. We score in 2 plays - a 56 tard TD to Fryfogle. Its 42-35. They KNOW we are coming for them. Instead of kicking a FG from our 7, they go for it on 4th and 1 at our 7. We stuff them. Sigh. High water mark. Their defense denies us. 2 incompletes and a sack. We punt. Maryland hurts Penix again, but Tuttle wins it, wins at #16 Wisconsin (producing the World's Greatest Recruiting Moment). Yeah, we lose momentum and a bowl game with Tuttle playing hurt, but still - we went 6-1 in conference. Toss out the OSU game and we gave up 17 points in November (0-11-6 points to MSU-Maryland-Wisconsin).

We have All-Big Ten and All American players RETURNING. We have excellent guys already in place and in Spring pratice who will replace/improve on our 3 lost offensive starters, and - if you believe the doctors - Penix will return too. And we also have guys in place and in Spring pratice to fill the DE and Safety losses, with Layne and Marcelino returning.

Time to believe FIRST.

Going forward I believe IU will continue to to be among the top 4 or 5 programs in the east division, if not the entire conference.
Top 4-5 in a 7 team division ain't good enough. Top 4-5 in the conference is what we need to be shooting for year in and year out, with breakout seasons that put us in the Championship game. I don't think it's too much for us to be viewed as in the same tier as IA, WI, and MSU every year, and get to the point where knocking off UM, PSU, or OSU isn't seen as a shocking upset.

i think tom & crew have definitely built a consistent top 25 team and that's great. but, i want to see more before i get carried away. gotta beat osu. then we'll talk.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman

I trust it for the short-term, say the next two years.

I don't trust it for the long-term, although I'm hoping for Iowa or Wisconsin type success there.

I'm more concerned about our lack of hard-core fans after all the down years than anything else.

I'm more concerned about our lack of hard-core fans after all the down years than anything else.
There's going to be a lag, no question. We're a long way away from filling the stadium on a regular basis. A century of bad football won't be overcome in just a handful of years. But it will come. Like the program itself, fan interest will have to be built over time. The good news is that the financial well being of the department isn't nearly as dependent on football attendance as it was back in the old days. The BTN has made a huge difference in that regard, and has resulted in some leveling of the programs within the conference.

Beat Iowa..Beat Cincinnati..
We're cooking early....
If not....They'll be pissing and moaning..
It's what Indiana fans are good at ....
Have just a decent season..Then a bowl win.
I'd say the fan base would be very happy...And even more momentum would be coming our way.

I checked out the basketball board after the last game. There were several references to our football program. One mentioned Allen's large contract after only one good season (here I had thought we had two good seasons, but maybe I am the only one). Another expected us to fall back next season, which coming from non-IU football fans is probably a hopeful opinion from him.

I checked out the basketball board after the last game. There were several references to our football program. One mentioned Allen's large contract after only one good season (here I had thought we had two good seasons, but maybe I am the only one). Another expected us to fall back next season, which coming from non-IU football fans is probably a hopeful opinion from him.

I believe Tom Allen can strike this year on better recruiting success to get his beat 25 person class to be a new Foundatlon to keep adding onto and building upon. Plus as more asst coaches get head jobs or higher coordinator jobs, further rising coaches will want to keep coming.

But if IUBB got Brad Steven’s or Drew from Baylor, pretty sure IU could regain its basketball love very quickly.

But just as OSU and UM can be good in both, no reason the Hoosiers can leverage each team successfully as well.

I trust that the team is greatly improved and moving in the right direction. I trust that CTA is the guy to lead the team for the long haul.

I don't trust that IU is quite there yet. There is the potential for an epic 2021 season. There's no reason they can't go undefeated if the ball bounces right. But there's a chance that they're back to the 5, 6, or 7 win range. Not that I'd historically be pissed at a 7 win IU season, but expectations are up in the broader Hoosier nation.

Why is Pollyanna all of a sudden Debbie Downer you ask? Here goes:

Defense: We can NOT reasonably expect the defense to be the takeaway machine they were last year. They are going to be good. Hell, they may end up being great. But getting that many INTs does not happen on a regular basis anywhere.

Offense: This is where I see things so differently than just about everyone. I did not like the offense last year. Not just because of the anemic run game, but because of the pure feast or famine style.
PSU game: Offense did absolutely nothing all game unless the defense put them on the doorstep until the very last drive & OT.
Rutgers: Fine
UM: Probably their best overall performance. In control throughout the game.
MSU: Huge 1st half then did nothing in the 2nd half.
OSU: Every at-bat was either a strike out or a homerun, no in between.
MD: Penix had his worst game of the year by far. Went wildcat to move the ball.
UW: Workmanlike performance. Didn't score points, but defense pitched a gem.
Ole Miss: Wasn't clicking, even before Jack's shoulder.

It's not that I think every possession needs to end in points. But there were so many that were 3 & outs. All season long Penix is throwing bombs. A lot of them hit. A lot of long scores. Exciting to watch. But my favorite moment of the season was grinding out that last drive to seal the Michigan game and not even give them a chance with the ball.

I trust IU can find that magic again. I don't necessarily trust they will. If they can find a running game and a more balanced pass game (and maybe drop a lot fewer passes), Katie bar the door. There is so much potential on the team, they just have to live up to it.

Think the depth IU has built finally (which to his credit, Tom Allen talked about in year one needing to do) is such that IU is nearly 3 deep at most positions like the big boys at the top schools are, so we aren't running out of gas in the 4th like we may have in past when our two stud LBs (Scales & other one) had to play virtually whole game and wore down in the end of games.)

The new 4-star FR QB may not be as stellar as Penix, but he's a bit taller, possibly more athletic and also seems to have a deep ball. Add a potentially better OL by time he is starting, continue having fantastic WR crew, possibly a better running game (thx to McCollough back) and they could be just fine. Of course, defense has to be as strong as were last year and predict will be again this year, but same thing, we have way more bodies, more depth and especially after this year, going to have higher caliber players coming into the program, which is not a vicious cycle, but rather a virtuous one!

Reactions: IUgradman
I trust that the team is greatly improved and moving in the right direction. I trust that CTA is the guy to lead the team for the long haul.

I don't trust that IU is quite there yet. There is the potential for an epic 2021 season. There's no reason they can't go undefeated if the ball bounces right. But there's a chance that they're back to the 5, 6, or 7 win range. Not that I'd historically be pissed at a 7 win IU season, but expectations are up in the broader Hoosier nation.

Why is Pollyanna all of a sudden Debbie Downer you ask? Here goes:

Defense: We can NOT reasonably expect the defense to be the takeaway machine they were last year. They are going to be good. Hell, they may end up being great. But getting that many INTs does not happen on a regular basis anywhere.

Offense: This is where I see things so differently than just about everyone. I did not like the offense last year. Not just because of the anemic run game, but because of the pure feast or famine style.
PSU game: Offense did absolutely nothing all game unless the defense put them on the doorstep until the very last drive & OT.
Rutgers: Fine
UM: Probably their best overall performance. In control throughout the game.
MSU: Huge 1st half then did nothing in the 2nd half.
OSU: Every at-bat was either a strike out or a homerun, no in between.
MD: Penix had his worst game of the year by far. Went wildcat to move the ball.
UW: Workmanlike performance. Didn't score points, but defense pitched a gem.
Ole Miss: Wasn't clicking, even before Jack's shoulder.

It's not that I think every possession needs to end in points. But there were so many that were 3 & outs. All season long Penix is throwing bombs. A lot of them hit. A lot of long scores. Exciting to watch. But my favorite moment of the season was grinding out that last drive to seal the Michigan game and not even give them a chance with the ball.

I trust IU can find that magic again. I don't necessarily trust they will. If they can find a running game and a more balanced pass game (and maybe drop a lot fewer passes), Katie bar the door. There is so much potential on the team, they just have to live up to it.
I agree with your evaluation of IU's offense last year. I have real concerns about coach Sheridan as OC but we will see what he can do this season. I do think McCollough could be a great OC if Sheridan doesn't work out. IU's offense needs to be a top 20- team every year and last year they rated #82 in the country.

There's going to be a lag, no question. We're a long way away from filling the stadium on a regular basis. A century of bad football won't be overcome in just a handful of years. But it will come. Like the program itself, fan interest will have to be built over time. The good news is that the financial well being of the department isn't nearly as dependent on football attendance as it was back in the old days. The BTN has made a huge difference in that regard, and has resulted in some leveling of the programs within the conference.

If we can't fill the stadium after the last two seasons then we just don't have the fanbase needed to be a consistent top 25 program. I'm not talking OOC schools but B1G or Cincy we better be full. We also need to see our recruiting classes to continue to improve. Our depth is dramatically improved. Rankings aren't always correct. But we need to consistently be in the top half or better in the B1G recruiting. Bottom four doesn't cut it. I think Allen can do it.

I think no fans in the stands was a huge advantage for Indiana last year.
If this is true it shows the equality of talent IU has compared to other top teams. It also showed IU's mental toughness was better than other teams. I think it showed IU is a team that now can beat better programs in the conference but still has work to do in some areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT