ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have a chance?

sobester

Junior
Mar 21, 2012
The Scandinavian countries are universally considered the happiest and best places to live. With our younger generation seemingly having similar values, could we get there in 25 years? More? Less?

So you’re saying liberal social policies and universal healthcare won’t create the same nirvana here because of lack of a homogeneous society?

The Scandinavian countries are universally considered the happiest and best places to live. With our younger generation seemingly having similar values, could we get there in 25 years? More? Less?
Americans are never satisfied with where we are. We buy a BMW and are happy until our neighbor buys a Ferrari. Our 75 inch TV is great, until we have a friend with a 100 inch. We really require an overhaul.

I had a buddy wonder why people get so angry when they find out a coworker makes more. He suggested if we were happy with our pay before finding out someone makes more, why should that make us suddenly unhappy with our pay. Our pay hasn't changed. He suggested we should be happy for the other person.

We need to learn to be happier with where we are. I've listened to some conversations about the younger generation. One was by a Libertarian about how the job market is changing, many youth work for 6-8 months in a gig economy, then quit for a month or two and travel the world and then get another gig job. That may well be a more mentally healthy way of doing it as I'm not sure the rat race really works for our mental health.

Americans are never satisfied with where we are. We buy a BMW and are happy until our neighbor buys a Ferrari. Our 75 inch TV is great, until we have a friend with a 100 inch. We really require an overhaul.

I had a buddy wonder why people get so angry when they find out a coworker makes more. He suggested if we were happy with our pay before finding out someone makes more, why should that make us suddenly unhappy with our pay. Our pay hasn't changed. He suggested we should be happy for the other person.

We need to learn to be happier with where we are. I've listened to some conversations about the younger generation. One was by a Libertarian about how the job market is changing, many youth work for 6-8 months in a gig economy, then quit for a month or two and travel the world and then get another gig job. That may well be a more mentally healthy way of doing it as I'm not sure the rat race really works for our mental health.

The materialism in the U.S. is a problem. It goes hand in hand with our apparent need to hoard wealth.

We lack the homogeneity and when they grow older and informed and pay bills they’ll become pubs. Rinse repeat.
I think the homogeneity plays a role. They're not nearly as divided as we are. We're not so much a melting pot anymore. but rather an increasingly balkanized society.

A buddy married a Swede, and they moved back about 8-10 years ago. It's an entirely different ball game there, according to him.

We should probably quit keeping score in sports too, huh?😉

Reactions: stollcpa
We should probably quit keeping score in sports too, huh?😉

Not relevant at all. Scandinavian countries are very competitive about things like that. Watch the Tour de France. They just don’t see status symbols as victory.

I think the homogeneity plays a role. They're not nearly as divided as we are. We're not so much a melting pot anymore. but rather an increasingly balkanized society.

A buddy married a Swede, and they moved back about 8-10 years ago. It's an entirely different ball game there, according to him.
definitely. i have a close buddy lives in sweden. played soccer in college then went to work for schering-plough in europe

We're not so much a melting pot anymore. but rather an increasingly balkanized society.
What does it mean to be an American?

We lost that somewhere. I used to know, now i don't. Our homegeniety should be based on common ideals about freedom, liberty, and being able to work your way up the socio-economic ladder. A lot of people have helped to kill this:

-Corportations by moving jobs
-SJWs by driving division
-Nativists by responding to the SJWs and creating slogans like America First (but really just the white ones)
- and on and on

We lost that somewhere. I used to know, now i don't. Our homegeniety should be based on common ideals about freedom, liberty, and being able to work your way up the socio-economic ladder. A lot of people have helped to kill this:

-Nativists by responding to the SJWs and creating slogans like America First (but really just the white ones)
- and on and on
Personal freedom and individual responsibility are what I've considered the cornerstones of what it means to be an American, but they're long gone in large swaths of the population.

Birds of a feather ......, nature will have her way.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

- and on and on
Good list. Add these:
- the Forever Wars
- open borders and unfettered immigration
- greed in corporations, individuals
- clever disguising of Marxist groups grifting and destroying
- terrible politicians

Personal freedom and individual responsibility are what I've considered the cornerstones of what it means to be an American, but they're long gone in large swaths of the population.

Would bet not all Scandinavians are happy (assuming they know what happiness should feel like).

Same goes for Americans who have the resources to do whatever whenever they want (personal freedom).

Am thinking happiness is a state mind over which I have control. Given this, I refuse to believe I am not happy.

Occasionally I sense some gloom creeping in. Friends and Happy Hour soon restore my happy state of mind. My wife's Swedish relatives taught me this when visiting Sweden over 60 years ago.

Progressives tend to really misunderstand Scandinavian countries.

If you are sleeping on the street in Oslo or Stockholm or Helsinki you will be arrested and taken to jail. If you are using drugs in a public place you will be arrested and taken to jail. They don’t tolerate the urban filth and decay that progressives have wrought on American cities.

They are capitalist countries with a massive social safety net because they have stronger social cohesion and there are many fewer unproductive members of society.

That is opposed to America where the Top 5% subsidizes 50% of the population (Romney got in trouble for saying this). Of course we’re going to have social unrest and bitterness.

Reactions: stollcpa and jet812
Same goes for Americans who have the resources to do whatever whenever they want (personal freedom).
I don't tie wealth or resources to personal freedom. Personal freedom, to me, is the ability to live your life the way you want to live it without the encumbrance of others (including the govt) curtailing it. That's how you think, how you act, how you worship, who you associate with, who you choose to engage with in transactions, etc...

Tied closely to that is personal responsibility. You're responsible for the outcome of your choices, and those choices shouldn't have a direct negative impact on another person's personal freedoms.

There are volumes written about that, so this is just my cliff notes, 30k-foot flyover version.

Other than that, I agree with your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoot1

If you are sleeping on the street in Oslo or Stockholm or Helsinki you will be arrested and taken to jail. If you are using drugs in a public place you will be arrested and taken to jail. They don’t tolerate the urban filth and decay that progressives have wrought on American cities.

They are capitalist countries with a massive social safety net because they have stronger social cohesion and there are many fewer unproductive members of society.

That is opposed to America where the Top 5% subsidizes 50% of the population (Romney got in trouble for saying this). Of course we’re going to have social unrest and bitterness.
Nail hits head. We have large groups of people that don't work or barely work and live off assistance. They don't. We have certain groups of people that commit violent crimes at an alarming rate. They don't. The Dems here encourage and facilitate it. This isn't complicated.

I don't know how true that is:

2.1.1. Sleeping Rough It is not prohibited to sleep rough in Sweden per se. However, the Act stipulates that using a public place within a local planning zone in a manner not in accordance with its intended purpose requires a permit. Non-permit holders may be punished with a fine. A permit is however not required if the use is temporary and is to an insignificant extent that does not encroach on someone else’s permit (the Act, chapter 3, section 1). Since the purpose of, for example, a pavement or a public park is not to provide sleeping space, such usage will require a permit unless it fulfils the exemption requirements above. Consequently, it may be permissible to sleep rough without a permit if a person changes his or her place of sleep frequently (for example to a new location each night) and occupies a comparatively small area without encroaching on another person’s permit to sleep rough.​

Helsinki has almost no outdoor sleepers but they have invested heavily in providing indoor accomodations:

According to Wiki, we have 19.5 homeless per 10,000 here in the US. Finland has 7.9, Norway has 6.2, Sweden though has 25.9. If you read the first link, a lot of Romani have moved to Sweden.

I haven't looked at the other countries, Oslo has a VERY open drug scene.

So two of the three do much better than the US in having lower homelessness. Sweden, not so much

ChicagoFire, intrigued by Romey's 5% subsidizing the 50% of the population.

Researched it and couldn't find it. Need help.

Did find a talk he gave where he says 47% of the voters are government subsidized and will vote for Obama (see below).

Anyhow, Chicago Fire, would love a link to the Romney quote.

We lost that somewhere. I used to know, now i don't.

That no
Matter what, our democratic process was the fia

2.1.1. Sleeping Rough It is not prohibited to sleep rough in Sweden per se. However, the Act stipulates that using a public place within a local planning zone in a manner not in accordance with its intended purpose requires a permit. Non-permit holders may be punished with a fine. A permit is however not required if the use is temporary and is to an insignificant extent that does not encroach on someone else’s permit (the Act, chapter 3, section 1). Since the purpose of, for example, a pavement or a public park is not to provide sleeping space, such usage will require a permit unless it fulfils the exemption requirements above. Consequently, it may be permissible to sleep rough without a permit if a person changes his or her place of sleep frequently (for example to a new location each night) and occupies a comparatively small area without encroaching on another person’s permit to sleep rough.​

Helsinki has almost no outdoor sleepers but they have invested heavily in providing indoor accomodations:

According to Wiki, we have 19.5 homeless per 10,000 here in the US. Finland has 7.9, Norway has 6.2, Sweden though has 25.9. If you read the first link, a lot of Romani have moved to Sweden.

So two of the three do much better than the US in having lower homelessness. Sweden, not so much

Excelkent post. I like substantiated facts.

Give me a summary of those values.

Google it.
I don’t have to. I have a good idea what your list might be. I am sure you’re in the crowd of “I want your lifetime of work to pay my student loan debt and while you’re at it give me a $50,000 downpayment for a new home”.

I don’t have to. I have a good idea what your list might be. I am sure you’re in the crowd of “I want your lifetime of work to pay my student loan debt and while you’re at it give me a $50,000 downpayment for a new home”.
You’re talking about the same crowd that thinks it’s okay for Men to play in Women’s sports.

What? I paid back my student loans and don’t mind paying taxes at all. It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea for your type to pay the student loans of my type. I’m not advocating for it though.

Lack of shelter is not the problem with U.S. homeless. We know this intuitively because the amount of people sleeping on the street in Chicago during the winter falls to about zero while you can’t walk to Walgreens in the summer without stepping over half a dozen vagabonds.

Homeless does not and should not equal sleeping on the street.

I want your lifetime of work to pay my student loan debt and while you’re at it give me a $50,000 downpayment for a new home
Exactly what Marv pointed out above. No matter what some of you have, you care more about what others receive or what others have. Neither example impacts your life in any way. Just like 99% of your grievances.

Exactly what Marv pointed out above. No matter what some of you have, you care more about what others receive or what others have. Neither example impacts your life in any way. Just like 99% of your grievances.

They would lose sleep if Warren Buffett paid for a bunch of poor families to have Christmas dinner. It’s not just that they don’t want help, they also want to be punitive.

Reactions: T.M.P.
They would lose sleep if Warren Buffett paid for a bunch of poor families to have Christmas dinner. It’s not just that they don’t want help, they also want to be punitive.
You might want to look up the discrepancy in charitable giving between Republicans and Democrats before you open your dumb mouth.

You might want to look up the discrepancy in charitable giving between Republicans and Democrats before you open your dumb mouth.

White Christian nationalists aren’t a charity there David Duke. And it’s not just philanthropy, it’s the obsession with not paying taxes.

What was your point again? You circled right back around to confirming my point.
Point being conservatives are much more willing to part with their own money on their own terms to help the less fortunate. Democrats are much more willing to demand others part with their money.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT