ADVERTISEMENT

DNA test result on the Aflac Duck

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Bald-eagle.jpeg

Not wildly funny, exaggeration and distortion of underlying issue, disproportionate vilification and ridicule of target, groupthink behavior .... This is textbook Republican-ish behavior for some thirty years.

That's not at all to say that Democrats are pure and innocent, just that Republicans (as distinguished from conservatives) have relied on these behaviors for essentially a generation to foment electoral results.

Reactions: Rockfish1
Not wildly funny, exaggeration and distortion of underlying issue, disproportionate vilification and ridicule of target, groupthink behavior .... This is textbook Republican-ish behavior for some thirty years.

That's not at all to say that Democrats are pure and innocent, just that Republicans (as distinguished from conservatives) have relied on these behaviors for essentially a generation to foment electoral results.

It would be much easier to get away from this if the democrats stopped shouting names at republicans and talked about issues without all the isms. I can have voted for Trump over Hillary without being an idiot. I can disagree with someone without being called an idiot.

You want to talk about an issue without calling me a racist, misogynist, Neanderthal, rube and ashamed I graduated from your university then its possible to have a more civil discussion.

Sorry but I was raised on the wrong side of the tracks. You disrespect me I am fighting back no holds barred. At 60 it might be immature but I am fighting back.

Your brother is a condisending prick with every response to someone he deems inferior. He’s obviously an intelligent man. He makes it plain he’s the smartest guy in the room and it’s beneath him to try and have a civil discussion with rubes. I am guessing there’s many failures of that smartest guy in the room that he loves taking it out on successful people he deems inferior to him.

I guess it's true. The Saul Alinsky train is cool, but only when it's traveling in one's preferred direction.

Reactions: 76-1 and stollcpa
I guess it's true. The Saul Alinsky train is cool, but only when it's traveling in one's preferred direction.
That’s (1) wrong or at least unfair (inasmuch as you have no basis to impute hypocritical motivations to me); and (2) non-responsive generally to the concern I raised.

It would be much easier to get away from this if the democrats stopped shouting names at republicans and talked about issues without all the isms. I can have voted for Trump over Hillary without being an idiot. I can disagree with someone without being called an idiot.

You want to talk about an issue without calling me a racist, misogynist, Neanderthal, rube and ashamed I graduated from your university then its possible to have a more civil discussion.

Sorry but I was raised on the wrong side of the tracks. You disrespect me I am fighting back no holds barred. At 60 it might be immature but I am fighting back.

Your brother is a condisending prick with every response to someone he deems inferior. He’s obviously an intelligent man. He makes it plain he’s the smartest guy in the room and it’s beneath him to try and have a civil discussion with rubes. I am guessing there’s many failures of that smartest guy in the room that he loves taking it out on successful people he deems inferior to him.

You're not an idiot, but you're really sad, Stoll. You seem obsessed with whether someone (including yourself) is deemed "successful" by others and use that as the barometer for the worth of that person. You seem obsessed with "respect" from people you don't even like or respect. You admit to being immature and apologize for your heritage and upbringing as though that's why you act that way.

I remember not too long ago when my conservative brethren bemoaned victim mentality and championed being responsible for oneself. Own your actions and aspire to something better than what you give here.

You're not an idiot, but you're really sad, Stoll. You seem obsessed with whether someone (including yourself) is deemed "successful" by others and use that as the barometer for the worth of that person. You seem obsessed with "respect" from people you don't even like or respect. You admit to being immature and apologize for your heritage and upbringing as though that's why you act that way.

I remember not too long ago when my conservative brethren bemoaned victim mentality and championed being responsible for oneself. Own your actions and aspire to something better than what you give here.

Well . . . . . you guys do stick together. Compulsively pointing out what’s wrong with conservatives and Republicans is a pretty common leftist theme around here. It used to be amusing--like when Sope posted that my problem was caused by a small body part; now it is just boring, silly and stoopid.

Well . . . . . you guys do stick together. Compulsively pointing out what’s wrong with conservatives and Republicans is a pretty common leftist theme around here. It used to be amusing--like when Sope posted that my problem was caused by a small body part; now it is just boring, silly and stoopid.

I wasn't really commenting on conservatives or Republicans. I was commenting on Stoll. If you feel the need to apply those comments to yourself, that's on you.

But, I do agree that this thread is boring, silly, and stupid. You should weigh in on the Georgia thread on voter suppression if you want to discuss something more substantial than Facebook memes.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask everyone to show everyone respect. I think Goat is an intelligent and interesting guy and over the years have loved reading stuff he posted. If fact sent private messages inquiring about literature on essays he posted on religion. When his replies became condescending and disrespectful then I said to hell with it and went on scorched earth policy. Same with Zeke. From day one Rock was Rock. Obviously another smart guy.

I only crawled out of the gutter fighting. I will keep fighting. Post a disagreement without making fun of someone, then all’s good. If not I’ll fight back same way.

Not 100% sure but I don’t think I’ve ever been disrespectful to you. If I have I apologize.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask everyone to show everyone respect. I think Goat is an intelligent and interesting guy and over the years have loved reading stuff he posted. If fact sent private messages inquiring about literature on essays he posted on religion. When his replies became condescending and disrespectful then I said to hell with it and went on scorched earth policy. Same with Zeke. From day one Rock was Rock. Obviously another smart guy.

I only crawled out of the gutter fighting. I will keep fighting. Post a disagreement without making fun of someone, then all’s good. If not I’ll fight back same way.

Not 100% sure but I don’t think I’ve ever been disrespectful to you. If I have I apologize.

No apology necessary. I'm not sure what the hangup you have with where you come from and how you were raised is, but it strikes me that you've lived enough life to get over it and be grateful for where you are. You say, "I don’t think it’s too much to ask everyone to show everyone respect", but what have you done to further that ideal?

I only posted because you seem like an interesting and intelligent guy who I think could be a great contributor to this forum. And a scorched earth policy doesn't do anything for anybody here (yourself included.)

No apology necessary. I'm not sure what the hangup you have with where you come from and how you were raised is, but it strikes me that you've lived enough life to get over it and be grateful for where you are. You say, "I don’t think it’s too much to ask everyone to show everyone respect", but what have you done to further that ideal?

I only posted because you seem like an interesting and intelligent guy who I think could be a great contributor to this forum. And a scorched earth policy doesn't do anything for anybody here (yourself included.)

Thanks. I’ll try to get rid of the chip on the shoulder and stop scorched earth policy.

Reactions: hoosboot
I wasn't really commenting on conservatives or Republicans. I was commenting on Stoll. If you feel the need to apply those comments to yourself, that's on you.

But, I do agree that this thread is boring, silly, and stupid. You should weigh in on the Georgia thread on voter suppression if you want to discuss something more substantial than Facebook memes.

the OP was a joke (and it made me briefly chuckle). I'm not sure it requires in-depth analysis (actually I'm sure it doesn't).

Warren made a fool of herself...people can have a laugh about it.

the OP was a joke (and it made me briefly chuckle). I'm not sure it requires in-depth analysis (actually I'm sure it doesn't).

Warren made a fool of herself...people can have a laugh about it.
It's certainly not a biggie.

But, again, this is a perverse focal point. A 6-page thread on Warren (the longest by far on the front page) continues. Pocahontas/Warren has been referenced repeatedly over the past few weeks in wholly unrelated threads as a barb against Democrats.

As Douthat pointed out yesterday, a lot of what has been written against her is incorrect. And while she absolutely did step in it in a way that's not helpful to her campaign prospects, I don't think you'll find consensus that "stepping in it" is the same thing as "making a fool of herself".

It's a sideshow with little consequence, but many of the Republicans here seemingly find it the funniest, most noteworthy and relevant topic at hand on any subject. And they do so in a mocking and exaggerating way that's consistent with the tribe mentality I mentioned earlier. (That's particularly curious given the absolute insanity that permeates our government today).

Again, no biggie, but it's not just an isolated one-off joke somebody happened to think to share.

But, again, this is a perverse focal point. A 6-page thread on Warren (the longest by far on the front page) continues. Pocahontas/Warren has been referenced repeatedly over the past few weeks in wholly unrelated threads as a barb against Democrats.

As Douthat pointed out yesterday, a lot of what has been written against her is incorrect. And while she absolutely did step in it in a way that's not helpful to her campaign prospects, I don't think you'll find consensus that "stepping in it" is the same thing as "making a fool of herself".

It's a sideshow with little consequence, but many of the Republicans here seemingly find it the funniest, most noteworthy and relevant topic at hand on any subject. And they do so in a mocking and exaggerating way that's consistent with the tribe mentality I mentioned earlier. (That's particularly curious given the absolute insanity that permeates our government today).

Again, no biggie, but it's not just an isolated one-off joke somebody happened to think to share.

I'll only counter that her actions have certainly caused a harsh rebuke from corners unrelated to the right:

Elizabeth Warren's 'part' Cherokee claim is a joke, and a racist insult to Natives like me

Warren’s position presents Democrats with two options: ignore concerns raised by Native Americans and the Cherokee Nation, or hold a politician accountable for behavior that a marginalized group has labeled harmful. As a registered Democrat, Cherokee Nation citizen and Native woman, I hope both party leaders and average blue-voting citizens will choose the latter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/10/18/native-american-elizabeth-warren-cherokee-ancestry-column/1668763002/

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

You've spent quite a bit of time on something that "isn't a biggie"

Reactions: Univee2 and 76-1
I'll only counter that her actions have certainly caused a harsh rebuke from corners unrelated to the right:

Elizabeth Warren's 'part' Cherokee claim is a joke, and a racist insult to Natives like me

Warren’s position presents Democrats with two options: ignore concerns raised by Native Americans and the Cherokee Nation, or hold a politician accountable for behavior that a marginalized group has labeled harmful. As a registered Democrat, Cherokee Nation citizen and Native woman, I hope both party leaders and average blue-voting citizens will choose the latter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/10/18/native-american-elizabeth-warren-cherokee-ancestry-column/1668763002/
I liked the Cherokee Nation response. Regardless of how long ago (23+years?) she erred in professionally inconsequential ways, she was wrong. Her failure to acknowledge that effectively in recent years merits a check on any Presidential ambitions.

The outrage and derision isn't rationally coupled to that reality.

We need to pin her plagerized Pow Wow Chow receipt book too. Please dear Jesus put her at the top of the dem ticket.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rd-COPIES-famous-FRENCH-chefs-techniques.html

https://elizabethwarrenwiki.org/pow-wow-chow-cookbook/

Oh the wonders of identity politics.

Forgive me, but when did Warren make this a political issue?

She stated that her family told her she had a Native American ancestor. There’s zero evidence that this enabled her to use that ancestry to gain anything. No matter how hard the right tries to make it true.

The identity politics of which you speak seek to be coming from the right. The left could care less about her ancestry. They care about her policies. Which you probably disagree with- I’d expect you to disagree.

IMO, she didn’t need engage in this crap. It’s just allowing Trump to drag her into the gutter. Nothing good come come of this for her. I wish she had turned the other cheek, so to speak. And FWIW, she’s not at the top of my list for dem POTUS candidate in 2020- though I do admire her efforts in consumer protection.

I don’t understand the right’s fascination with this. Is it because you just hate Warren’s policies? Criticize those instead of going after her for what her parents told her, and she believed (which, does appear to be true, BTW).

I DO think it’s funny that Trump wrote a check that his @ss won’t cash. But we’re so used to seeing it, that it doesn’t even register anymore. But somehow, that part is overlooked... shocker.

Reactions: Bill4411
Forgive me, but when did Warren make this a political issue?

She stated that her family told her she had a Native American ancestor. There’s zero evidence that this enabled her to use that ancestry to gain anything. No matter how hard the right tries to make it true.

The identity politics of which you speak seek to be coming from the right. The left could care less about her ancestry. They care about her policies. Which you probably disagree with- I’d expect you to disagree.

IMO, she didn’t need engage in this crap. It’s just allowing Trump to drag her into the gutter. Nothing good come come of this for her. I wish she had turned the other cheek, so to speak. And FWIW, she’s not at the top of my list for dem POTUS candidate in 2020- though I do admire her efforts in consumer protection.

I don’t understand the right’s fascination with this. Is it because you just hate Warren’s policies? Criticize those instead of going after her for what her parents told her, and she believed (which, does appear to be true, BTW).

I DO think it’s funny that Trump wrote a check that his @ss won’t cash. But we’re so used to seeing it, that it doesn’t even register anymore. But somehow, that part is overlooked... shocker.
Trump won't pay the million dollars unless he gets to test her himself. What does that even mean?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT