ADVERTISEMENT

Disrespecting the stripes

That announcer should Not be allowed in The Hall again!

In my opinion, the analyst was terrible! He obviously was pulling for Minnesota.
He was being a bit playful in a mostly boring game to commentate, especially in the 2nd half. Didn’t get the impression he was for Minny, just trying to put a positive spin on their uphill battle. The play by play guy though seemed to speak highly of iu.

They were both clowns. Not sure why the B1G sold their soul to Fox Sports. Oh wait, yes I do. Delaney takes greed to a new level.

Reactions: iulb and BigMobe
In my opinion, the analyst was terrible! He obviously was pulling for Minnesota.

I didn't quite get that he was pulling for Minny...I think he was trying to "make a game of it" from the commentary perspective.

He was, however, terrible.

Inside jokes with your buddy might pass the time at the game...but it bored the heck out of me.

Additionally, he provided no real insight into the contest or game of basketball.

Reactions: BigMobe and cryano
I guess I lucked out. It was a Friday night and there were High School Basketball games on the radio.

I muted the TV and watched the IU game.... but listed to my local High School game on my phone via online streaming.

I guess I got the best of both worlds.... IU won and my High School team won.

Reactions: mk23
He really showed his ignorance when, during a replay, he gave a shout-out to "the guys in the truck" for the 360 rotational view cameras installed around the perimeter of AH.

McHoop

I was watching the game and he started talking about sorry he was for Minny then he had that stupid screen shot with the x through the pants. What a dope! You could tell he was a loser when the admitted that he had the DVR on "every tennis match". He wants to coach but he spends all his time watching tennis? Loser!

I refuse to listen to the audio from ESPN, FSN, BTN games. It seems that one requirement to be a "color" commentator is to be full of opinions and exhibit ADHD - in football or basketball it's a regular thing for the announcers to go off on a tangent about something unrelated to the game they're covering and ignore the action in front of them. It takes some doing to get things synced up, but I listen to Don and Erick.

That announcer should Not be allowed in The Hall again!
Meh. Who cares what that guy says. He wasn’t very good and he obviously knew very little about IU. I hope we don’t have them again, but it isn’t because of the candy stripe comments...

I refuse to listen to the audio from ESPN, FSN, BTN games. It seems that one requirement to be a "color" commentator is to be full of opinions and exhibit ADHD - in football or basketball it's a regular thing for the announcers to go off on a tangent about something unrelated to the game they're covering and ignore the action in front of them. It takes some doing to get things synced up, but I listen to Don and Erick.
Got a tech question. How do you sinc up the radio audio with the television picture? Now explain this to an old guy that did not grow up with computers.

Those two had to be the worst announcers I have heard this year. Unfortuantely no radio broadcast available in this ares to listen too so had to listen to those to yeahoos :÷(

Got a tech question. How do you sinc up the radio audio with the television picture? Now explain this to an old guy that did not grow up with computers.

My answer is not from actual experience, because I don't have a DVR or the type of Satellite Receiver that allows me to do this, but.... I heard someone else on here say this.

If the TV service is ahead of the radio transmission..... they said you can Pause and restart the picture until the action on the TV and the radio sync's up as close as possible.

If the Radio transmission is ahead of the TV action.... I don't see any way to slow the radio transmission down to match up with the TV. Or to speed the TV picture up to sync with radio.

At least that's what I've seen and heard.

It will depend on whether the radio broadcast is ahead or behind the TV broadcast. This seems to be highly variable depending on how you get your TV channels - if it's a network game received over the air that would have the shortest delay, cable/satellite a greater delay, and if you get it via streaming the delay will be quite long. My TV carrier for non-CBS games is via Playstation Vue (or using the Roku apps for ESPN or Fox Sports - BTN games can be watched on the Fox Sports app).

In my case, the TV broadcast lags the radio by a lot (around a full minute) so here is what I do:
1. Tune the Telecast on TV and mute the sound
2. Using an Android phone, I use an app called Easy Radio Delayer. Start the app select the region (North America/US/Indiana/Bloomington) and select the station that carries the IU broadcasts (I use WHCC).
3. Start playing the radio broadcast via the app.
4. Listen to Fisch and time the difference between his call (I usually start on a made basket) and when you see it occur on the TV.
5. In the app, press a combination of +10, +1, +.1 seconds until you set the delay to match the time from step four. The app will buffer and then begin playing. The two broadcasts should be pretty much in sync. If not, you can adjust on the fly using the +/- 1 second buttons.

This works pretty well for me. Oddly, on Fox or BTN games I will frequently have to make small adjustments after commercial breaks. It's simple to do and doesn't happen on ESPN. The app hasn't been updated for quite a while and seems to work better with older versions of Android, but I've used it on Oreo successfully. Another issue is that you have to select from a list of stations and many no longer work - fortunately the Bloomington station mentioned still works. I think maybe the Android app may be difficult to find on the Playstore now, but can probably be found elsewhere via google (I found a download link). A lot of reviewers complained about it not working, but I've used it without issues.

In cases where the radio broadcast lags the TV, you can briefly pause and resume via your DVR.

There is also another way to do the radio delay using a PC with an older program called "Audio Delay" by fountainware. It's free also. It involves inputting your audio (radio, phone, etc) into the PC and listening to the delayed sound either via the PC speaker or it's output.

Finally there is a radio you can buy that has a built in delay function, but it requires a local broadcast and only delays up to 17 seconds, and while it works it is a really cheaply made product.

By contrast, I really enjoyed Robbie Hummel and his partner the game before. Made good observations and didn't act like he was auditioning to be a comedian (Crispin).
I enjoyed those two as well. They commented on the intricacies of the game that I wasn't seeing. That makes the viewing fun. Dakich did that at one time....

My answer is not from actual experience, because I don't have a DVR or the type of Satellite Receiver that allows me to do this, but.... I heard someone else on here say this.

If the TV service is ahead of the radio transmission..... they said you can Pause and restart the picture until the action on the TV and the radio sync's up as close as possible.

If the Radio transmission is ahead of the TV action.... I don't see any way to slow the radio transmission down to match up with the TV. Or to speed the TV picture up to sync with radio.

Tunein.com is always behind the radio and TV action. Listen to Fischer from that site and pause your TV to sync them up.

I refuse to listen to 90% of the idiots on TV. My wife watched the second half replay while exercising and said they were terrible .

I have DISH and it always runs ahead of Don. I just pause the tv and match it to radio.

It can be done. It's not easy, and it takes a computer. Radiodelay is a freeware Windows program that takes an hi-level input (like an FM radio), delays it as many seconds as you ask it to, then sends it out through the computer speakers.
https://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/
Not easy, but it works if the TV is behind the radio feed. Cable TV is usually six or seven seconds behind WHCC 105.1 here in Bloomington. Hard to sync it up perfectly, but it can be done with patience and luck.

By contrast, I really enjoyed Robbie Hummel and his partner the game before. Made good observations and didn't act like he was auditioning to be a comedian (Crispin).
Crispin =

tenor.gif

200w.webp

Last edited:
It can be done. It's not easy, and it takes a computer. Radiodelay is a freeware Windows program that takes an hi-level input (like an FM radio), delays it as many seconds as you ask it to, then sends it out through the computer speakers.
https://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/
Not easy, but it works if the TV is behind the radio feed. Cable TV is usually six or seven seconds behind WHCC 105.1 here in Bloomington. Hard to sync it up perfectly, but it can be done with patience and luck.

In my case, streaming the television broadcast from Fox Sports, the TV broadcast can lag by as much as 70 seconds (that's right, over a minute).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT