ADVERTISEMENT

Disputed Goal

DFLion

Sophomore
Aug 29, 2001
I am an NCAA soccer ref and a huge IU fan. Just checked the replay several times. Asst Ref was out of position, 6 yards up from the goal line instead of 1 yard from the goal line where the next to last defender was, when Femi shot. He was not in position to see if the ball crossed the line before the clock expired. Total BS! Also, if there is no horn at 00:00, when the timekeeper counts down, he should say, "3 - 2 - 1 - mark" which is what they do at IU to signify end of period. Femi shot at :01 but I did not hear "mark" or "zero". Since the AR was out of position and no horn or "mark" or "zero", he could not tell if it was a goal or not so refs errored on side of no goal. Total BS!

What is your opinion on the NCAA rules that runs that run the clock down and no added time?

Clock stops after goals, cards, PK is called, injuries, last 5 minutes of 2nd half when leading team subs, and anything else at ref's discretion. This also true in high school. Games played under FIFA or USSF rules, ref keeps running time and adds on stoppage time at end of each half for above instances at his discretion.

Sure but what is your opinion of the rule? Would you change it?

As a referee would you like to have more control over the clock?

Yep, probably so.

For example, years ago in a high school game, Team A was beating Team B by 6 goals, Team B starting hacking, I gave out a few cards, and finally call the game over with a few minutes to go, mainly to avoid injuries and save Team B from getting guys thrown out. This was before time was kept on a scoreboard so refs kept the time on their watch. Team B's coach stopped me as I walked off the field said there was still a few minutes to go. I told him, "Coach, my watch said that the game was over."

Exactly, I like the ref having that ability.

Americans don't seem to understand that soccer referees are all about protecting the integrity of the game. Unlike football, basketball and baseball referees who seem to take delight in actually being apart of the game, soccer refs do a better job at not doing that. From the advantage call on fouls and clock management, soccer refs can make the game so much more enjoyable. I often say during basketball games when a player fouls a guy on a breakaway that the foul penalizes the offense and people just don't get that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT