ADVERTISEMENT

Did Paige swallow Steph Curry's dick juice before the game?

I thought it was over when Paige made his second three pointer. But that doesn't say a lot about my confidence in the coach and his scheme.
Look, for the record, I had (and have) no confidence in the coach or his scheme, either. I gave IU a 1 in 10 chance to win the game. But, sometimes, the other team dictates what happens; that was the case tonight. And the first 10 minutes was the difference.

I thought it was over when Paige made his second three pointer. But that doesn't say a lot about my confidence in the coach and his scheme.

Pretty much. Our hopes were on them not hitting shots and us hitting them.

That's not exactly a vote of confidence for the coach.

Reactions: Moops
UNC didn't play good defense and IU failed to take example of it. We have no offensive philosophy to speak of, except for Yogi initiating everything and breaking guys down off the dribble. It doesn't work so well when he doesn't have the ball in his hands and is sitting in the corner while Troy or Hartman take it up top.

And yes, UNC hit shots, but they were largely uncontested. Most guys that shoot 35% can hit 60% in a gym when unguarded. The percentage drops when you're not guarded. IU didn't defend and they got hot early. If they missed a few early, they would've just started going to the paint earlier. It might've shaved a few points off the final score, but what does that matter?
You can't run with them. Its' just dumb. We did a good job rebounding with them in the first half and keeping them from attacking the rim. It was basically 50% on both ends. We just needed to hit shots. Gotta give them credit, UNC did a good job guarding the transition three. Which is our main offense. They didn't let us have many second chance baskets either, which is another huge chunk out of our offense. Hitting threes was our only chance to win this game. Other than slowing it down. Which we're not capable of doing.

Reactions: FrankTGucker
Look, for the record, I had (and have) no confidence in the coach or his scheme, either. I gave IU a 1 in 10 chance to win the game. But, sometimes, the other team dictates what happens; that was the case tonight. And the first 10 minutes was the difference.

My frustration is not because we lost or because I thought we were going to win. UNC is the better team. I thought we'd have to play lights out and UNC would have to struggle from the outside for us to have a chance. My frustration is because nothing really seems to have changed with the way Crean sees the game and coaches the players. It's frustrating.

We will not compete for a national title with Crean.

The big ten conference win was nice. But there's no doubt that the conference was down. And we played a weak schedule with the unbalanced scheduling.

Wtf are we going to do next year without a point guard? Are we rebuilding next year? Rebuilding what?

You can't run with them. Its' just dumb. We did a good job rebounding with them in the first half and keeping them from attacking the rim. It was basically 50% on both ends. We just needed to hit shots. Gotta give them credit, UNC did a good job guarding the transition three. Which is our main offense. They didn't let us have many second chance baskets either, which is another huge chunk out of our offense. Hitting threes was our only chance to win this game. Other than slowing it down. Which we're not capable of doing.
I told my son that IU needed to hit 40% of better from three to have a chance. Carolina hitting the percentage they did wasn't in the equation.

IU sucks. Crean sucks. Ceded. I'm just saying that sometimes how a game plays out isn't directly related to game plan or coaching or skill.

What team in the country could have beaten Carolina tonight?

Coworker told me RMK would have won this game. Troy would have started on the bench, if on the team, and Paige would have never hit those shots ... At least not all of them ... With OG on him.

I told my son that IU needed to hit 40% of better from three to have a chance. Carolina hitting the percentage they did wasn't in the equation.

IU sucks. Crean sucks. Ceded. I'm just saying that sometimes how a game plays out isn't directly related to game plan or coaching or skill.

A Crean coached team had no chance. A coach that has a better scheme might have had a chance to make it a better game. Who knows? What is blatantly obvious is that Crean isn't the guy. For me this is more than one game.

Well, yeah...you shouldn't run with them, but as you said, we are incapable of slowing the game down. So that leaves us with the only option of running and hitting transition 3's, which (as you point out) they did a decent job of shutting down.

They didn't get transition 3's so much as they got "Carolina transition 3's." Transition offense is part of their offense...hell, it is their offense (as you know). It's not a surprise to anyone--unless you've been braindead for 40 years.

That's kind of what I'm trying to explain to Hoopscat. Yes, they were hitting shots...but they were pretty much open shots. And they were getting them off their basic up-and-down offense. I'm not sure Crean was surprised by it so much as he's incapable of teaching a defense to stop it.

Reactions: HoosierPeach
My frustration is not because we lost or because I thought we were going to win. UNC is the better team. I thought we'd have to play lights out and UNC would have to struggle from the outside for us to have a chance. My frustration is because nothing really seems to have changed with the way Crean sees the game and coaches the players. It's frustrating.

We will not compete for a national title with Crean.

The big ten conference win was nice. But there's no doubt that the conference was down. And we played a weak schedule with the unbalanced scheduling.

Wtf are we going to do next year without a point guard? Are we rebuilding next year? Rebuilding what?
I can't argue with any of that. I'm not blind; I just don't think tonight's outcome was because the team wasn't prepared or ready to play.

I'm on your side on this. If you read my earlier post, you know this.

I think we could have beat them, but 2 out of 3 times we won't. And with crean that number jumps to 9 out of 10.

We were also banged up. Really really banged up. I'm gonna hate that I said this by the end of the Summer,because the CBLs are gonna be strumming it .

But RJ ankle, CH wrist, JM shoulder, OG ankle, and TTT brain ... Not necessarily in that order.

Well, yeah...you shouldn't run with them, but as you said, we are incapable of slowing the game down. So that leaves us with the only option of running and hitting transition 3's, which (as you point out) they did a decent job of shutting down.

They didn't get transition 3's so much as they got "Carolina transition 3's." Transition offense is part of their offense...hell, it is their offense (as you know). It's not a surprise to anyone--unless you've been braindead for 40 years.

That's kind of what I'm trying to explain to Hoopscat. Yes, they were hitting shots...but they were pretty much open shots. And they were getting them off their basic up-and-down offense. I'm not sure Crean was surprised by it so much as he's incapable of teaching a defense to stop it.
It's not easy going through forty years of tape in one week. You have to watch them all to make sure you really know what kind of offense UNC runs.

I can't argue with any of that. I'm not blind; I just don't think tonight's outcome was because the team wasn't prepared or ready to play.

And that's the problem. Some of it is a talent gap no doubt. But Crean is incapable of narrowing that gap. What you saw is a Crean team prepared to play and ready to play the way Crean coaches them to play. That's why he's gotsta go.

Man, I'm not sure about that. In the first half, the 3's that Paige hit weren't in transition, were they? IIRC, the first was a baseline right shot where he was actually fading to the baseline, and it was late in the shot clock. He wasn't squared up at all. I can't say for sure, but I don't think most of their 3's came in transition.

Well...Virginia beat them earlier in the year and UNC went 9-19/48% from 3. ND beat them with UNC shooting 6-12/50% from 3. And ND sucks at D.

That's the thing. It's one thing to give them the lane (and defend the 3) or give them the 3 (and defend the lane). Sometimes you have to concede something to a better team. You can't concede everything, for christsakes. UNC was on fire from 3 and Williams is b!tching at half to get the ball inside. Why? Because he knows it is wide open too, and there are easier pick'ns in there. I mean for f***s sake.

IU shot 42% from 3, and as TMP pointed out UNC did a decent job on D. I think IU could've done better, but UNC could've named their score and gotten points from anywhere. Praying the other team misses open shots isn't a defensive strategy.

Reactions: mike41703

It's all good. I think we all agree. Well, except Hoops and probably Moops.

What's amazing was it was only a 71 (if I did the math right) possession game. We just gave up 1.38 pts per? A majority of those possessions came in the 2nd half. It may have been UNC settling, but I think giving them space to take them played into it. Roy adjusted.

We're stuck with him for two years minimum. *SIGH*.

fwiw - OG, if he develops a shot, will be special.

Reactions: crimsonlaw and FL33
I don't think most of their 3's came in transition.

Transition offense. It's a UNC staple. First big down the floor to the block. ball handler (preferably...almost always, the point) to the top of the key. Each perimeter fills a wing beyond the three point line, almost to the corner. Last big up the floor to the top of the key. If nothing comes from direct transition, its entered to the wing and entered to the post or reversed. Unless they pull it back out and re-set, they are almost always working off a variation of that offense.

I would have to go back and look, but I would bet the vast majority of those shots came from their basic offense that had been on film a dozen times throughout the year.

Well...Virginia beat them earlier in the year and UNC went 9-19/48% from 3. ND beat them with UNC shooting 6-12/50% from 3. And ND sucks at D.

That's the thing. It's one thing to give them the lane (and defend the 3) or give them the 3 (and defend the lane). Sometimes you have to concede something to a better team. You can't concede everything, for christsakes. UNC was on fire from 3 and Williams is b!tching at half to get the ball inside. Why? Because he knows it is wide open too, and there are easier pick'ns in there. I mean for f***s sake.

IU shot 42% from 3, and as TMP pointed out UNC did a decent job on D. I think IU could've done better, but UNC could've named their score and gotten points from anywhere. Praying the other team misses open shots isn't a defensive strategy.
Gawd, you're relentless.

It wasn't the stats at the end of the game that mattered. The second half outcome was a fait accompli. What were the stats in the first 10, no, say 5 minutes of the game? By that point in time, Carolina knew that all they had to do was pound it inside, because their bigs are dominant. And the second half they got fouled every trip as a result.

And that's the problem. Some of it is a talent gap no doubt. But Crean is incapable of narrowing that gap. What you saw is a Crean team prepared to play and ready to play the way Crean coaches them to play. That's why he's gotsta go.
Did you have fun with your son?

You should have grounded him and put his ass to bed instead of letting him think that is IU basketball.

Transition offense. It's a UNC staple. First big down the floor to the block. ball handler (preferably...almost always, the point) to the top of the key. Each perimeter fills a wing beyond the three point line, almost to the corner. Last big up the floor to the top of the key. If nothing comes from direct transition, its entered to the wing and entered to the post or reversed. Unless they pull it back out and re-set, they are almost always working off a variation of that offense.

I would have to go back and look, but I would bet the vast majority of those shots came from their basic offense that had been on film a dozen times throughout the year.
When you say transition, that's not what I think of. I get what you're saying, but I'd like to know how many 3's were hit by Carolina early in the shot clock.

Did you have fun with your son?

You should have grounded him and put his ass to bed instead of letting him think that is IU basketball.

He wanted to finish Star Wars so he missed most of the first half. He sees Troy and says, "is that the player you hate?".

He's a kid that doesn't have a history of watching IU so he would be more excited about a win than sad about a loss.

Like I've said before, we've lost/are losing a generation plus of Indiana basketball fans. We haven't had consistent success since the early 90s.

Btw I think it's fantastic that this thread title is the one everyone has used to talk about this game. Made me laugh when I first read it.

He wanted to finish Star Wars so he missed most of the first half. He sees Troy and says, "is that the player you hate?".

He's a kid that doesn't have a history of watching IU so he would be more excited about a win than sad about a loss.

Like I've said before, we've lost/are losing a generation plus of Indiana basketball fans. We haven't had consistent success since the early 90s.
The answer is "yes, that's the player I hate."

Reactions: FrankTGucker

Gawd, you're relentless.

It wasn't the stats at the end of the game that mattered. The second half outcome was a fait accompli. What were the stats in the first 10, no, say 5 minutes of the game? By that point in time, Carolina knew that all they had to do was pound it inside, because their bigs are dominant. And the second half they got fouled every trip as a result.

fwiw - I didn't realize we shot that high of a percentage or that many.

Maybe it's TW's last game. Silver lining .. lol

Reactions: PtownHoosier
It's all good. I think we all agree. Well, except Hoops and probably Moops.

What's amazing was it was only a 71 (if I did the math right) possession game. We just gave up 1.38 pts per? A majority of those possessions came in the 2nd half. It may have been UNC settling, but I think giving them space to take them played into it. Roy adjusted.

We're stuck with him for two years minimum. *SIGH*.

fwiw - OG, if he develops a shot, will be special.
I got Notre Dame Sunday as UNC clangs their way to a 25% 3pfg %.

But that's gonna be some basketball I don't care to watch.

Another year of this garbage.

Sad day. We're supposed to be the tougher team.

Bleeding powder blue is tougher both mentally and physically than bleeding tangerine.

Well maybe not physically. I thought TB was the best big man on the court. And OG is beast. And yogi and max are strong.

I got Notre Dame Sunday as UNC clangs their way to a 25% 3pfg %.

And another year of listening to Brey pump ND as the premier state program...which will continue until we dump Crean. Which will be never.

Yeah, my son loves bball and he could easily be an IU fan if they'd given him any reason to follow them during his lifetime. There was a spark during the Jordy/Zeller teams, and the 2 wins over UK were great, but there's no consistency or sustained success. If Crean follows his script as I fully expect, next year "we'll be young" and "rebuilding" after losing Yogi, NZ and MB and we'll probably be on the tourney bubble. Then we'll probably have a bad year, missing the tourney (how could we not: we lost JBJ, TW, TB,etc....) and then probably another good one if Crean can cobble together a way to stay that long. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: crimsonlaw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT