ADVERTISEMENT

Devonte Williams is transferring to Southeastern Louisiana

Devonte was a good pass catcher for an RB out of the backfield. Struggled to stay healthy like many of our RBs.
Very, very frustrating to watch him as KR. Felt he never had a good feel for that duty.

Wish him nothing but the best, but given school, conference, etc., kind of speaks for itself. Don't think he was destined to shine at IU in my view. But would love to see him do well there and all the best.

But hoping Ronnie Walker is the real deal who adds great competition to the current crop of RBs for next year.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
He would have played a bigger role in Wilson’s offense. Now we are moving to power running. Good luck Devonte.

He would have played a bigger role in Wilson’s offense. Now we are moving to power running. Good luck Devonte.
How are we moving to power running? We ran more plays last year, at a faster pace, and ran pretty much every play out of the shotgun. A couple of times we threw 60 times in a game. We are pretty much exclusively recruiting dual threat quarterbacks so we can more effectively run the read option.

Now I don’t think we want to throw 60 times very much again, but where did you see that we were moving to a power running game? He didn’t play a ton because he fumbled all the time. Last year he played pretty much the same role he played under Wilson: receiver out of the backfield and a KR.

How are we moving to power running? We ran more plays last year, at a faster pace, and ran pretty much every play out of the shotgun. A couple of times we threw 60 times in a game. We are pretty much exclusively recruiting dual threat quarterbacks so we can more effectively run the read option.

Now I don’t think we want to throw 60 times very much again, but where did you see that we were moving to a power running game? He didn’t play a ton because he fumbled all the time. Last year he played pretty much the same role he played under Wilson: receiver out of the backfield and a KR.
My belief is that our coaches want more backs that can run between the tackles. It leaves us with too many third down backs.

Reactions: DANC
My belief is that our coaches want more backs that can run between the tackles. It leaves us with too many third down backs.

Coach Wilson ran the hell out of Tevin Coleman between the tackles. And, we had a lot of 3rd and long under Coach Wilson.

Reactions: RBB89
Coach Wilson ran the hell out of Tevin Coleman between the tackles. And, we had a lot of 3rd and long under Coach Wilson.
Yeah Tevin got most of his yards off tackle out of the pistol. That was kind of his thing. Same thing for Howard.

It’s a power running attack when they do run. A lot of between the tackles stuff. Ideally, they’re looking to balance it out and not pass the ball 60 times a game, BUT when they did run it was often power or inside zone between the tackles.

Williams still had a future within that scheme though and was a weapon out of the backfield, but he would’ve never been the feature back.

Kind of surprising, and yet, not surprising at the same time. He obviously was never going to be "the guy" here, if that is what he wants. I'm sure his future would be about the same as it has been -- sparse carries, change of pace type of back and returner. I would think he would get to be the man at SE La.....I hope he does and I hope he has a lot of success there. And I REALLY hope Ronnie Walker is a stud for us, and with Ellison and Gest (who at the very least can take over Devonte's role), I don't think the transfer will hurt us much. Very happy that Walker is enrolling in the spring, along with Penix, Head and the others.

It’s a power running attack when they do run. A lot of between the tackles stuff. Ideally, they’re looking to balance it out and not pass the ball 60 times a game, BUT when they did run it was often power or inside zone between the tackles.

Williams still had a future within that scheme though and was a weapon out of the backfield, but he would’ve never been the feature back.
I took him to mean that he thought we were going to line up and run out of the I. You and I are on the same page.

Reactions: Superstar84b
If he just wants to play RB in college then he made the right move (maybe...,I don't know who he'll be competing against at RB down there); if he wants any shot at the NFL then CB or Slot Receiver are his only options (in my opinion)...

Reactions: iulb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT