ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Simmons hired away by Duke

It was a matter of time. Schools in the ACC and SEC seem to have plenty of cash to throw around for their baseball programs, plus the allure of having an increased chance to make the CWS.

Reactions: ulrey
I think this means we could see some more kids go portal in next 30 days (technically)?

It was a matter of time. Schools in the ACC and SEC seem to have plenty of cash to throw around for their baseball programs, plus the allure of having an increased chance to make the CWS.
Probably hurts recruiting doesn’t it? With Simmons..

I am pretty sure that 30 day exception only applies if the head coach leaves.
Yes, it's just if the HC leaves. When you look at all of the assistant coach movements during the off season, it would be a pretty big mess if that rule applied to those coaches also.

Reactions: 82IU
Yes, it's just if the HC leaves. When you look at all of the assistant coach movements during the off season, it would be a pretty big mess if that rule applied to those coaches also.
This is a big plus for IU. I have to assume several guys connected with Simmons vs. Merc since he was the main recruiter. Big loss. But I heard Colopy will be staying on as an assistant coach.

I’ve always had doubts about his actual coaching ability. Seemed like our infield play was up and down too often. Our hitting focus leaning too far into HR or strike outs with little regard to situational hitting. And our base running was often atrocious. Hard to knock his recruiting though. It’ll be interesting to see if any of those areas change with his replacement. If not, we can probably assume the issues start at the top.

Reactions: Next time
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT