ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Kalen DeBoer was named yesterday as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award. This is clearly a well-deserved honor.

IU's offensive numbers and rankings this season are eye-popping: first in the conference in passing offense, second in completions, completion percentage, TOP and sacks allowed, third in total offense, passing yards per attempt and fumbles lost, and fourth in passing efficiency and third down conversions.

I'm anxious to see what he dials up offensively in the rain on Saturday. We'll need a strong offensive performance to get out of there with a W.

I'm not worried about him returning next year, but his stock will continue to rise if he fields another offense like this next year. He's probably destined for a HC job eventually.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Kalen DeBoer was named yesterday as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award. This is clearly a well-deserved honor.

IU's offensive numbers and rankings this season are eye-popping: first in the conference in passing offense, second in completions, completion percentage, TOP and sacks allowed, third in total offense, passing yards per attempt and fumbles lost, and fourth in passing efficiency and third down conversions.

I'm anxious to see what he dials up offensively in the rain on Saturday. We'll need a strong offensive performance to get out of there with a W.

I'm not worried about him returning next year, but his stock will continue to rise if he fields another offense like this next year. He's probably destined for a HC job eventually.

Deboer is gonna split asap

How about you do the same. Maybe after the game Saturday you can take your drivel somewhere else. Perhaps to the board of PUke's bowl opponent - oh wait, we are your bowl opponent.

At any rate, can you restrain yourself to posting on the threads about Purdue and stop polluting every thread on the board ?

Damn, I hate when middle schools are out all week on vacation. Don't you have a video game system or something else to occupy your time, Junior ?

That's your hope, but hardly a fact.

IU is paying him big money as an OC. There would be no reason for him to bolt for another OC position, particularly in light of the offensive production that IU has returning next season. His next gig will be as a HC and, if he's smart, he'll build up his resume a bit more and wait for a major player to come calling, as opposed to jumping at the first opportunity that comes along.

How about you do the same. Maybe after the game Saturday you can take your drivel somewhere else. Perhaps to the board of PUke's bowl opponent - oh wait, we are your bowl opponent.

At any rate, can you restrain yourself to posting on the threads about Purdue and stop polluting every thread on the board ?

Damn, I hate when middle schools are out all week on vacation. Don't you have a video game system or something else to occupy your time, Junior ?

Dont worry, we will be gone soon

IU is paying him big money as an OC. There would be no reason for him to bolt for another OC position, particularly in light of the offensive production that IU has returning next season. His next gig will be as a HC and, if he's smart, he'll build up his resume a bit more and wait for a major player to come calling, as opposed to jumping at the first opportunity that comes along.

And he Is smart...

I expect him to be here for another 4-5 years, light up the Big Ten, then move to the Head Coaching position of "his" choice...

I am worried about him taking a Mountain West HC gig like San Jose state if they fire Brennan after going 7-28 in 3 years. Deboer will get a huge lift from Tedford and this year for the Hoosiers.

If we end up 9—4, with the offensive jump we made from last? He might go for it if offered.

He could be here another year, but you are right, hes on the fast track and Bloomington is considered a graveyard for head coaches. He will be getting a raise very soon.
Weren’t Burtnett, Akers, Colletto, Hope and Hazell buried in that graveyard ? And your current 6 million dollar man has gone from 7 wins, to 6, to 4, not a good trend.

I agree that DeBoer will split, I just don't think it'll be after this year. My personal opinion is that he'll try and parlay 2-3 years of top Big10 passing offenses into a high end HC position.

If, and it's obviously a huge IF, IU were able to ride a strong offense to a 9-3 or 10-2 season over the next couple of years, he would be a really hot commodity. Hell, even stringing together 8-4 seasons with the product he's putting out will command some $$$$.

I agree that DeBoer will split, I just don't think it'll be after this year. My personal opinion is that he'll try and parlay 2-3 years of top Big10 passing offenses into a high end HC position.

If, and it's obviously a huge IF, IU were able to ride a strong offense to a 9-3 or 10-2 season over the next couple of years, he would be a really hot commodity. Hell, even stringing together 8-4 seasons with the product he's putting out will command some $$$$.
I agree that he will become a HC, but not because he “wants” out of Bloomington so badly as the PU troll is trying to sell. He will be a HC because he is that good.

This could be true, he’s definitely in play this off season but he could stay another year or maybe two. The UM and PSU and OSU games show what he has to deal with tho, and the SEC has an insatiable appetite for new coaches

It must not be since we have 7 wins, maybe you should worry more about your coaches and their 4 wins.

I remember the whole world telling us that Brohm was sure to leave for Louisville...first chance he got...remember that?

Now its your turn to fend off the poachers. Have fun!

I remember the whole world telling us that Brohm was sure to leave for Louisville...first chance he got...remember that?

Now its your turn to fend off the poachers. Have fun!
Guess “the whole world” was wrong, you seem to be big on making grandiose statements. In fact, most of the world didn’t give a damn what Brohm did or didn’t do. DeBoer will certainly have opportunities because he is really good, and it seems that scares you . He will leave when the right opportunity presents itself, as he should , but it won’t be a poor reflection on IU, CTA or Bloomington. On the contrary, it says our HC did a great job in searching out and hiring such a quality assistant.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Deboer signed a two year contract at 1mill. So we have him at least one more year! He hasn't peaked with this offense yet. So I think he will stick around for a couple more years.

I think it's more than that, like $850K per yr. And per a poster above, I don't think now that he's tasted B10 he'd go to a less than top/stellar D1 HC job like San Jose St. He should do 2-3 yrs here at least and then if record holds up, yes, a better D1 HC opportunity may arise, as it should, for the rising starts. Plus, Penix will hopefully be 10-15lb stronger next year and more durable. Riding Penix train alone will help him as Deboer will light it up with Penix for most of a season.

speaking as the guy who first mentioned DeBoer on here as a potential OC two years ago (right after the Bucket game loss), I've got mixed feelings now.

DeBoer's been, if anything, even more successful than I'd hoped he would be, which makes it even more likely that he'll get a better gig somewhere else. But that's how it's supposed to work, and if it does, maybe IU can catch lightning in a bottle again with KD's successor.

To follow up on the statistical info you listed above, some program context re: DeBoer's effect with the same coaching staff and many of the same players:

IU/Debord in 2018 B1G 10:

Scoring Offense--12th
Total Offense------7th
Pass Offense------3rd
Rush Offense------11th

IU/DeBoer in 2019 B1G 10 (8 games):

Scoring Offense----6th
Total Offense--------4th
Pass Offense--------1st
Rush Offense--------10th

Debord's offense moved the ball, primarily through the air, but mostly between the 20's; DeBoer's offense moves the ball, primarily through the air, AND SCORES POINTS.

You don’t think all of our guys being a year more experienced and Whop only missing one game might have anything to do with the offense being improved?
I do not have the data to back this up but no I do not.

I think PR is a lot better than last year but still limited.

I think it I'd a better philosophy and play calling.

Where we are like last year is against elite teams like UM and OSU.

Just my thinking but no data.

TomT

We have improved in the red zone which has led to more scoring. We played last two years with out Whop Philyor for longer period of time. Stevie Scott was a true freshman last year. Our offensive line is basically a wash. Our outside receivers basically a wash Fryfogle has been more impactful. Hendershot is better this year. Ian Thomas was off to pretty good start until getting injured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT