ADVERTISEMENT

Dark matter might not exist

Far beyond the physics I studied.

Sean Carrol writes well on these subjects and has a podcast if you're interested. I think I probably recommended him before.
OK, it becomes more clear. He is developing a time that works with loop quantum gravity, to which he is an adherent. String theorists find problems since it is the major competitor.

He has just spent a large segment opposing block time.

He seems to propose that "now" is a local variable. "Now" here on Earth means nothing anywhere else in the universe.

I need to listen to Carrol. Since I spend most of my learning time listening to Audible, it is hard to squeeze in podcasts. But I did listen to Something Deeply Hidden and enjoyed it. How do you work in books and podcasts both into a busy life?

OK, it becomes more clear. He is developing a time that works with loop quantum gravity, to which he is an adherent. String theorists find problems since it is the major competitor.

He has just spent a large segment opposing block time.

He seems to propose that "now" is a local variable. "Now" here on Earth means nothing anywhere else in the universe.

I need to listen to Carrol. Since I spend most of my learning time listening to Audible, it is hard to squeeze in podcasts. But I did listen to Something Deeply Hidden and enjoyed it. How do you work in books and podcasts both into a busy life?
Podcasts (and this forum, quite frankly) have squeezed out most of my pleasure reading. I still read a ton on the internet, and for work, but my pleasure reading has taken a huge hit.

Great podcast interviews with authors of non-fiction are like one-hour summaries of the book. If the interviewer is good, you'll get the main ideas, the upshot, and the best examples from the book, with a little critical pushback that might not be in the book. I find it very efficient.

Carroll is sometimes boring, a little too political and forgiving of postmodern ideas in the philosophy realm, but I find him to be a pretty clear thinker on the physics. I would have loved to have had him as a teacher. Mindscape is his podcast.

I'm noodling the idea of starting a book club to read some biggies I"ve never read to get me back into the swing--War and Peace, Moby Dick, etc. Interested? Maybe try to read 70 pages a week (so avg. 10 pages a day)? Lots of history in both . . .

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Given the universe has probably contracted and reformed before I'm guessing it has something to do with the former energy from the old universe or other universes that may exist elsewhere. I will compare my theory to the turtle theory of the universe for proper context.
Wail - "old universe"?

God, my head hurts.

Podcasts (and this forum, quite frankly) have squeezed out most of my pleasure reading. I still read a ton on the internet, and for work, but my pleasure reading has taken a huge hit.

Great podcast interviews with authors of non-fiction are like one-hour summaries of the book. If the interviewer is good, you'll get the main ideas, the upshot, and the best examples from the book, with a little critical pushback that might not be in the book. I find it very efficient.

Carroll is sometimes boring, a little too political and forgiving of postmodern ideas in the philosophy realm, but I find him to be a pretty clear thinker on the physics. I would have loved to have had him as a teacher. Mindscape is his podcast.

I'm noodling the idea of starting a book club to read some biggies I"ve never read to get me back into the swing--War and Peace, Moby Dick, etc. Interested? Maybe try to read 70 pages a week (so avg. 10 pages a day)? Lots of history in both . . .

Book club sounds interesting. I wonder if others here would be?

War in Peace at 10 pages per day. Does the word "infinite" mean anything to you :) ?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Call me ishmael

Book club sounds interesting. I wonder if others here would be?

War in Peace at 10 pages per day. Does the word "infinite" mean anything to you :) ?
Comes in at 4 months. It's doable. Meet once a week over Zoom for an hour or two to discuss the book.

In a year, we could knock out 3 huge books.

Comes in at 4 months. It's doable. Meet once a week over Zoom for an hour or two to discuss the book.

In a year, we could knock out 3 huge books.

Sounds good to me. But let's start with something smaller than War and Peace. Or maybe just read War, or just read Peace :).

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT