ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe the universe isn’t really expanding?

It is a question too big for us, which in my mind is why we must try. We can only see a small section. We may not be able to see all that is in it. We can even only see a miniscule slice of time. If there are other dimensions, we can't see them nor know how they interact with our dimension.

I have read the arguments on quantum. Some say the numbers work, we need no more than that. Others say no, we need to figure out why they work. To date that has been a lost cause, but I think striving for that knowledge is what we do.
Yes, Quantum Physics does a good job in predicting behavior and explaining measurement uncertainty (often within the limits of probabilistic expression) … but can’t explain why. The “Higgs Boson” or Gravitron discovery may start providing levers to improve upon that. The wave and particle duals in physics provide two models for the same thing … when they become unified, maybe someone will understand why,

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Here's a pretty good article that suggests that the universe is infinite:

"If the universe were finite, we would expect to see a limited number of galaxies beyond a certain distance.

However, surveys of the sky have found an ever-increasing number of galaxies at ever-greater distances, suggesting that there is no edge to the universe.

Another piece of evidence comes from the study of cosmic background radiation.

This radiation is thought to be left over from the Big Bang, and its properties can tell us something about the size and shape of the universe.

The fact that this radiation appears to be uniform in all directions suggests that the universe is infinite. In conclusion, while we cannot say for certain that the universe is infinite, the evidence suggests that it is indeed without end."

Here's a pretty good article that suggests that the universe is infinite:

"If the universe were finite, we would expect to see a limited number of galaxies beyond a certain distance.

However, surveys of the sky have found an ever-increasing number of galaxies at ever-greater distances, suggesting that there is no edge to the universe.

Another piece of evidence comes from the study of cosmic background radiation.

This radiation is thought to be left over from the Big Bang, and its properties can tell us something about the size and shape of the universe.

The fact that this radiation appears to be uniform in all directions suggests that the universe is infinite. In conclusion, while we cannot say for certain that the universe is infinite, the evidence suggests that it is indeed without end."
A lot of that article does not sound right. It uses terms incorrectly and I think misstates the general scientific thinking, which as I understand is precisely the opposite: can't be certain, but the universe is probably finite.

A lot of that article does not sound right. It uses terms incorrectly and I think misstates the general scientific thinking, which as I understand is precisely the opposite: can't be certain, but the universe is probably finite.
Yes the universe could well be finite and innumerable… too big to count … infinity is an abstract concept … when does the finite innumerable become infinite.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT