ADVERTISEMENT

Dark matter might not exist

Reactions: BradStevens

I will be spending some of the weekend of the eclipse with a guy who is a physics prof at George Washington. He was once Chief Scientist for NATO in Brussels, and worked with the alphabet agencies after that until he retired to teach. If anyone has a physics question, I can ask him. Otherwise we will be largely talking WW1, the common interest that got us to meet.

I will be spending some of the weekend of the eclipse with a guy who is a physics prof at George Washington. He was once Chief Scientist for NATO in Brussels, and worked with the alphabet agencies after that until he retired to teach. If anyone has a physics question, I can ask him. Otherwise we will be largely talking WW1, the common interest that got us to meet.
My son is currently reading the Dominic Sandbrook kids book on WW 1. He loves it.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Dark matter might not exist​

Will this change my life?
Will IU bball return to glory?
Will my White Sox win 70 games?
Will my Bears win the Super Bowl?

No, no, no, and no, so why give a sh!t?

Reactions: NPT
Mostly this sounds like a total load of message board bullshit.

But at our age, and I know now some of your history and the "crowd" that you can mingle with. I don't really doubt any of it. I hope you all enjoy the event! Can you at least bring back one eclipse engineer dad joke? Please?
OH, as for the one question... Can you smell a fart in space?

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Mostly this sounds like a total load of message board bullshit.

But at our age, and I know now some of your history and the "crowd" that you can mingle with. I don't really doubt any of it. I hope you all enjoy the event! Can you at least bring back one eclipse engineer dad joke? Please?
OH, as for the one question... Can you smell a fart in space?

Only if you hotbox yourself in your suit.

Only if you hotbox yourself in your suit.
You don't know just how much I know about marvin. That is the key.
Not only did my little brother grow up under his tootaloge and friends. (thankfully because he taught some really nice lessons) but I now know where he lives now. Despite todays argument. Marvin was helping in a positive way, to develop tomorrows youth. which actually in my experience is todays leaders, not tomorrows.
In short, Marv was a very influential leader that made my redneck brother be totally DEI, LGBTQ+ <> more and bring every ****ing body to the picnic.
Marv had a really good perspective... HAD a really good perspective. Today, he's very extreme left liberal jaded.
it's really sad.
My brother can still field dress a sparrow to eat, But that is a "this hour" concern, not an 10-40 year from now concern.

So yes, I am stupid enough to hotbox myself. Since you are a boilermaker. You know animal husbandry.
The sooner we boys figure out that we are more stupid than the girls. In different ways of course. Only then we can holy vcking hell look at that pair of boobz.

Not only did my little brother grow up under his tootaloge and friends. (thankfully because he taught some really nice lessons) but I now know where he lives now. Despite todays argument. Marvin was helping in a positive way, to develop tomorrows youth. which actually in my experience is todays leaders, not tomorrows.
In short, Marv was a very influential leader that made my redneck brother be totally DEI, LGBTQ+ <> more and bring every ****ing body to the picnic.
Marv had a really good perspective... HAD a really good perspective. Today, he's very extreme left liberal jaded.
it's really sad.
My brother can still field dress a sparrow to eat, But that is a "this hour" concern, not an 10-40 year from now concern.

So yes, I am stupid enough to hotbox myself. Since you are a boilermaker. You know animal husbandry.
The sooner we boys figure out that we are more stupid than the girls. In different ways of course. Only then we can holy vcking hell look at that pair of boobz.
Sorry, that assume but a friend of mine.

One thing we need to understand to really appreciate this is this: dark matter already doesn't exist. It's simply a mathematical construct that fills in gaps that exist in our best cosmological model. But it's not something you can see or touch or find or carry. We take pictures of things, see how they react, figure there must be some mass there we can't see, and we call it "dark matter." And that's it. It's just a Cosmological Constant-esque solution to an equation that won't square itself.

So if someone finds a better solution, more power to him.

Reactions: Bill4411
One thing we need to understand to really appreciate this is this: dark matter already doesn't exist. It's simply a mathematical construct that fills in gaps that exist in our best cosmological model. But it's not something you can see or touch or find or carry. We take pictures of things, see how they react, figure there must be some mass there we can't see, and we call it "dark matter." And that's it. It's just a Cosmological Constant-esque solution to an equation that won't square itself.

So for us farm kids,,, Its like bitcoin?

If you haven't been a 10 yr old boy, setting indian style
looking at a 10 minute old baby calf, straight in the eye, for the first thing that calf had ever saw before
or can't imagine that feeling....
You need to get away from the keyboard for a bit.
There is SOO much more. And you don't have to be 10 to see a calf born for the first time.
The older I get, the more amazing it is actually.

it's really sad.

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It's a scare piece that doesn't understand how evolution works. We are not going to go extinct because of the Y chromosome.
Oh I know that... I just linked it because it had about as much to do with the subject as the post I responded to. 😅

it's really sad.

That’s true as of now re not finding it but astronomers don’t think of it as a force (dark energy they do). Many are looking, theorizing, etc about what it could be and where to find it.

That’s true as of now re not finding it but astronomers don’t think of it as a force (dark energy they do). Many are looking, theorizing, etc about what it could be and where to find it.

I do hope tired light turns out to be it and the others were wrong. It neatly solves the problem.

Just to throw in other science, I am reading a book, The Order of Time". He makes a couple of interesting points early, first that items fall toward slow time. I had never thought of gravity in that way, moving from faster time to slower time.

The other is that of all the laws of physics, only one requires time to flow in a specific direction. Heat always flows from a hot object to a cooler object. A cooler object never gives up heat to a warmer object. the theory is Thermal Time, and you are better than I if you understand it (you can Google it) but I have half the book to go.

I do hope tired light turns out to be it and the others were wrong. It neatly solves the problem.

Just to throw in other science, I am reading a book, The Order of Time". He makes a couple of interesting points early, first that items fall toward slow time. I had never thought of gravity in that way, moving from faster time to slower time.

The other is that of all the laws of physics, only one requires time to flow in a specific direction. Heat always flows from a hot object to a cooler object. A cooler object never gives up heat to a warmer object. the theory is Thermal Time, and you are better than I if you understand it (you can Google it) but I have half the book to go.
More technically, it's the second law of thermodynamics. Entropy.

True, but there must be more. When I looked up "Thermal Time", it is controversial. Yet entropy has been SOP for a long time.
I've never heard the term. From a quick search, it seems to be a theory for why the law of entropy exists. I think it generally deals with the notion that scientific theories work on systems regardless of their position and can work both ways, but entropy does not.

I've never heard the term. From a quick search, it seems to be a theory for why the law of entropy exists. I think it generally deals with the notion that scientific theories work on systems regardless of their position and can work both ways, but entropy does not.
I know he ties in quantum. That must be the issue.

Reactions: BradStevens

I always thought the direction of heat transfer had to do with the density of material in question. No?

I kinda agree. The observed reality is limited by our cognitive ability. Explaining what we don’t understand ( the universe) is a product of the human mind, not a product of actual reality. We get dark matter from our minds.

This is a very interesting thread. Keep it going. Pin?

Given the universe has probably contracted and reformed before I'm guessing it has something to do with the former energy from the old universe or other universes that may exist elsewhere. I will compare my theory to the turtle theory of the universe for proper context.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT